PDA

View Full Version : Two Impressive Improvements

Garrison
04-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi, great game guys! :D

I've been reading lots of reviews and suggestions by others (I'm amazed how rude and entitled some of them are acting towards a free game), and I'd like to point out the two changes which I think would make the most impact.

First, put more of the game into towne. It would be much more fun to not have a store tab on the character screen and instead only be able to do your shopping from vendors within towne (or perhaps the occasional NPC out in the world). I realize this would require different shops with different inventories, rather than today's an all-in-one shop, so it would take some work to get going.

Another idea for towne would be to have most quests start/end there by talking to NPCs (instead of having the NPC pop up on a screen between levels to tell you what's going on). I realize you want the game to be attractive to a wide range of players, and so don't want it to get too complicated or difficult, but I think the happy medium you're looking for is a bit higher than where it is now.

In regards to having only 25 characters per towne to avoid lag, I assume when we go to towne we are sent to a random identical copy that has room? Instead, perhaps there could be several differently-named townes (although they'd be identical), and we could pick from a list where to go (and if there are too many peeps there, the list would say so). Or, break up the towne into multiple connected areas. This way, we could be sure to meet up with friends and socialize together.

My second big "want" would be to de-linearize the levels in each campaign. I understand it would be just too difficult to create a huge seemless world like in Warcraft, but at the very least I recommend having a "hub level" of wilderness, from which each of the 5 levels in the campaign would link out from (large dungeons and such could still be more than one level linked linearly, just so long as the entire campaign of 5 levels isn't that way). A towne could also be in each hub level, and as you unlock or purchase new campaigns you then can access new townes (simply travel between townes automatically or for a small fee in gold).

I feel the added feature of exploration, as well as the simple time factor which would come into play when players have to travel to and from the multiple levels, will add to the value of the game. As it is now, the linearity makes it go too quick. And, any attempts at role-play wind up being quite weak. You don't need major plot development; just having to walk up to NPCs to talk to them rather than having them pop up in a window between levels would make the game feel so much better.

Okay, I guess I have a third suggestion: Please play around with the font sizes. Some of the text on the iPhone/iPod version gives serious eye strain, but I see there is space available to accommodate larger type. Since I'm playing this game in 3-4 hour stretches, it would be a fantastic addition!

Thank you for this wonderful game! I completely understand that your primary goal at launch was to get a smooth, fun, interesting product out there, and that you probably didn't want to make it too complex or deep right away (you gotta see if it takes off, of course). Take your time, we'll be here!

But as you add things, please consider making these two improvements high priority (although I understand they are perhaps tall orders).

Thanks!

Justg
04-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Great suggestions, many of these are underway.

Flamin
04-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes and there should also be a grand exchange or auction house at the towne too. And I would really like to see these ideas implemented in the game. I just can't wait.

Garrison
04-13-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. This is never going to have everything we've come to "expect" from MMO's. And, it doesn't have to. Reading through the forums and reviews, it seems like everyone just wants it to be a blatant rip-off of warcraft. Not gonna happen.

I for one am glad. We need an MMO that's more carefree and not so unwieldy. Not all of us have the time to devote to a huge game like that. Some more features would be nice, but if PL turns into WoW I'd be very disappointed.

Jaysal
04-13-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm a top of the realm guild dropout in WOW... I am out of college and dont have time for it anymore.. I like your suggestions.. I think they add depth without over complication. Nice Suggestions @garrison.

Especially on a mobile platform you need to maintain that pick up and play for 5 minutes feeling of accomplishment or people will stop playing the game.. Lets face it a lot of iphone gamers are gamers with busy lives that like to player around a bit now and then.

Is garrison your IGN I'll add you!

Rylin
04-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Great suggestions!