PDA

View Full Version : Enemy Retreat?

Kingofthebear
06-14-2010, 06:21 PM
This has recently risen to the top of my list of PL annoyances (just beating out spammers and beggars).

Definitely in the Alien Oasis, but could occur in other maps perhaps, it's not a rare occasion to work a mob or boss down to the last bit of health they have when they immediate run back to their spawn point, instantly regain their health, and come right back at me.

There's nothing to prevent this. I can't beckon them, taunt them, or stomp them back in the other direction. In this state they're immune to it all, and just end up getting a "get out of jail free card" from me laying down some whoopin.

Has anyone else gotten as fed up with this as I have, or have seen it in any other campaigns?

Dizko
06-14-2010, 06:22 PM
It happens to all normal monsters, if you pull them too far from their home.

However Alien Oasis seems to be the only place where it happens to bosses aswell.

MuFFz
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
I get this all the time too. It's pretty annoying especially fighting Seth.

Kingofthebear
06-14-2010, 06:29 PM

However Alien Oasis seems to be the only place where it happens to bosses aswell.

I get this all the time too. It's pretty annoying especially fighting Seth.

Which is probably why it happens all the time with Bastet (or whatever the spellcaster's name is), since she automatically glides backwards while casting at tanks. It's really annoying.

Royce
06-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Which is probably why it happens all the time with Bastet (or whatever the spellcaster's name is), since she automatically glides backwards while casting at tanks. It's really annoying.

I so wish my mage could do that in PvP :)

Gwendaline
06-14-2010, 07:41 PM
I like it that she glides backwards :)

BLEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwendaline
06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
GET OVER IT!!!!!!! If they retreat, it is because you keep blasting them away from their home.. I like it that they retreat. It presents a challenge. If you can't take the heat GTFO of the kitchen. Winers....

BLEED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Justg
06-14-2010, 07:45 PM
It is standard leash behavior. All mmo's do it to prevent kiting.

Kingofthebear
06-15-2010, 01:33 AM
What's kiting? (<- noob)

edit: eh, nevermind I figured it out :). If I ruled the world I'd probably make the range a bit wider before it kicked in.

Splurd
06-15-2010, 02:19 AM
It is standard leash behavior. All mmo's do it to prevent kiting.

One thing is, that the monsters are immune whilst they run back. It is a little silly and looks like a bug.

A better way is to have them return to a normal aggressive state after a certain distance of running back, and do not restore their hp.

Violentsaint
06-15-2010, 02:21 AM
yer its really anoything with seth.

its hard enough with the 5 healers guarding seth, but everyones complaining how easy the game is, then as soon as theres a challenge everyone calls the wambulance ;(

Elffy
07-06-2010, 04:49 PM
I know it's to prevent kiting but sometimes he chases the bosses will chase to our spawn point and other times they will only slightly leave theirs then run right back.

Away
07-06-2010, 07:59 PM

I've actually had this happen to me in Ancient swamps on a boss.

Theremin
07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
My issue with this is the Croc guy in AO2, "Plasma Pyramid." It seems like his tether isn't very long. Like, he reset on my group five times, and we never even took him beyond the little bridge in the room where we were fighting him. I don't think that's proper "leash behavior." Some bosses are "tank and spank" and don't need to be moved around too much, other bosses - especially if they have AOE abilities - may need to be kited a bit. It just depends on the nature of the fight and the boss abilities.

I admit that I am frustrated when a boss resets, but I understand the mechanic of the behavior, and I know why it's in place. I think it's more frustrating when players don't understand the mechanic and continue to blast the boss out of range, or "kite" the boss beyond his or her tethers.

Anyway, I don't think this (with the exception of the short tether on the Croc guy in Plasma Pyramid, that is) is something the DEVS should change. I think players should adapt to these rules of code and learn from their past mistakes, and use the in-game environment to OUR benefit... It's a matter of working SMARTER, not harder. :)

Cheers.

Potawto
07-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Sobek resets if he moves an inch... He is the only one that makes me mad cus halfway across the room he resets

Smartress
07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Agreed in Principle, but there are many inconsistencies.

For example, the Eye boss in Skeller will chase you all the way to your graveyard, and camp your corpse for a few min.

Where as others, a small amount of movement will reset the boss, which is bloody annoying.