PDA

View Full Version : Framerate Drops During Battle on Motorola Atrix - further testing

kamikazees
08-11-2011, 10:04 AM
I've been doing some testing since first noticing a problem with low framerates during boss and big battles on my Motorola Atrix 4G. The game runs fine in town, no matter how many players are present, and seems to run better in lower-level dungeons where there are less enemies and large bosses. As soon as I get multiple toons on the screen, or a large boss, though, my framerate drops so low I end up skipping some of the fight (like 1-4 FPS). It then returns to normal once everything is cleared.

I've tried adjusting / toggling all menu options (battery saver, camera effects, zoom, etc.), turning on and off the phone, playing at different times, chanting and wishing, but nothing seems to help. I'm having this issue in PL too. I've done several runs in Sewers with similar effects to test, although it does seem worse in SL.

My service provider is AT&T (with HUSPA), but most of the time I play on wifi. My ping stays around a constant 100 (even when the framerate drops). I had no problems at all in PL on my wee little Apple 3GS, with its 600Mz CPU and 256 Ram. The Atrix has a 1.0gz Nvidia Tegra 2 dual core processor with 1 GB ram, and I am on the 2.3 Gingerbread OS. There are other phones like mine, notably the Samsung Galaxy R, Motorola Droid X2 and Photon and the LG Optimus 2x and G2x. Anyone else have my phone, or these phones, or these problems?

Flowman
08-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Droid x2 with the exact same problem. Haven't played the game since discovering these problems because it's not fun for me. Worked completely fine on my droid x

bubble
08-20-2011, 05:44 PM
just got the photon today and experiencing the same problems. my ping is actually better now. average 180-220 ping today. went back to my epic to play. the towns are smooth as silk. once i enter a dungeon to battle the framerate becomes very choppy. maybe its a limitation of motorola phones.

Raulur
08-21-2011, 04:44 AM
Don't those all have the Nvidia Tegra 2 processor? No such issues on my Droid X, but it uses the TI processor.

nAzErAw
08-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Me too :(

kamikazees
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Update:

Since the launch on Android and Numa Prime, I haven't noticed as many framerate problems. Certainly nothing like it was during Beta. Then this morning, I started suddenly having framerate problems again while running Uncharted Ruins in Numa Prime. I've had consistent problems since then. Still no idea what causes it. Maybe it has something to do with the Tegra 2, but because I was able to play for awhile I'm now thinking it is something not on my end.

Growwle
08-23-2011, 09:59 PM
I have an x2 also, Android 2.3.3 and get choppy graphics at times even with sub 100 ping. Must be a Tegra 2 issue since my old DROID does not have this problem. Is this a hardware issue, or can the devs optimize for the Tegra 2?

Growwle
08-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Just ran Uncharted Ruins with the sound disabled and the graphics smoothed out a bit, may be a memory issue.

kamikazees
08-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Just ran Uncharted Ruins with the sound disabled....
This does not help at all for me, but thanks for another idea.

Growwle
08-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Since my last post, it seems like the lag is the worst on Numa, the indoor areas are much less laggy. To be fair, this is true in most PC MMOs also.

Growwle
08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Still laggy in Numa, during large battles and Guardian fight, ping is not an issue. Tegra 2 chips are some serious hardware, why does SL run better on my old DROID than my x2?

kamikazees
08-27-2011, 09:48 PM
More testing. I downloaded Star Legends on my iPad and have now played on both it and my Atrix while at home. It plays perfectly on the iPad, but still choppy on the Atrix (and still only during battles, never in town or just walking in a map). A ton of the Android tablets out now have the Tegra 2 chip, in addition to these phones. Is anyone with a Tegra 2 dual-core processor chip able to play battles in Star Legends smoothly right now? If not, it may be some problem with this chip and SL not getting along.

The thing I don't get is that at some point between a couple of the recent updates, my Atrix started playing it beautifully for a few days. But it did not last. So I know it can be done, but I don't know what the problem is.

Growwle
08-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Any dev input on this?