PDA

View Full Version : Details about the per-game Platinum decision

Justg
08-11-2011, 02:42 PM
When we originally conceived of multiple game titles that share a single account, we also planned to have our in-game currency work across all of our games. We very much wanted this convenience for our players, and had every intention of carrying through on this. These systems are extremely popular and many gamers enjoy them in the PC and console gaming world through companies like Valve, Sony Online Entertainment, NCsoft, and many more. We thought that this was possible in the Mobile world as well.

While our second Legends app (Star Legends) was in the approval process across multiple storefronts, a specific platform’s App Store interpreted their terms of service to not allow this activity.

Their terms of service have been subject to interpretation before and have been known to change without notice to developers. When we made the original announcement about shared accounts and currency we had every indication that a universal currency was possible.

In order for Star Legends to be available to players on multiple platforms, our Platinum has to be game specific. This was not our hope for Spacetime players. We developed Star Legends with every intention of our currency being usable universally across our gaming ecosystem to extend the value of a player’s purchase. We are very disappointed that it was not the case as this is obviously a feature game players desire.

Consequently, we have tried very hard to make amends with the players who purchased Platinum with that feature in mind. As a result of the current interpretation of policies and a need to set things right with our players, we granted in excess of 1.5 million platinum to players who had purchased platinum after we had made our single-currency announcement. This is hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of platinum that we decided to grant in order to rectify the situation.

We know we would not be anywhere without the loyal fans who play our games, and we very much appreciate their support and understanding.

- g

Phoenixking
08-11-2011, 02:49 PM
So thats how it went down well it might be apple as thats the only company that does those things that spacetime is in i wonder if that affects the speed of approval

Yvonnel
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Thanks g. I know you guys do everything you can for the community.

I for one appreciate the dedication of the development team at STS for everything they do for us.

Dosumn1978
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
I was upset at first, however I am an avid fan and know my money is still going to make the games I enjoy that much better with new content and items. I fear change is all i'm saying...lol!

AnotherAzi
08-11-2011, 02:57 PM
G-

I certainly appreciate the more detailed explanation, but I'm still unclear on why it was necessary to refund platinum spent on SL rather than permit a one-time allocation between games. SL is not yet out on the specific platform in question (we can't say iOS? Is this the new Voldemort?). Why not let people allocate? I don't want to take money from STS and I don't want the 180 platinum STS effectively gave me (150 spent in SL refunded in PL and 30 "free" in SL). I want to allocate platinum to SL.

The current solution seems to satisfy absolutely no one. STS loses money in the form of PL and SL platinum grants. Players are unhappy anyway because they don't have platinum on the new game where they want it. The game is still not out on iOS. Everyone loses.

Can you please explain why you believe it is not possible to allow a one time allocation? To the extent the Apple TOS prohibits in-app purchases being used outside that app, I note that I did not purchase my platinum "in-app," but rather on the website.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Samhayne
08-11-2011, 03:04 PM
AnotherAzi, we couldn't offer a transfer as it is not allowed, simple as that.

StompArtist
08-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Bottom line: If they do not do the per game segregation they are not allowed to release SL. ;)

Derajdefyre
08-11-2011, 03:08 PM
a specific platform’s App Store interpreted their terms of service to not allow this activity.

Let's see, there are two platforms you are releasing for and one of the two already let you release to the Market (notice I used the term Market instead of App Store). I wonder which of the two platforms was the one causing the speed bump. If only Sherlock was here he'd be able to figure it out. I just can't deduce any further.

FluffNStuff
08-11-2011, 03:20 PM
I am guessing it is these:

No physical or real-world services allowed.

Items or services purchased within your application must be accessed and used inside your application.

Some Apple guy probably sees selling Star Legend currency in Pocket Legends and Vice Versa the same as a Walmart app selling a $60 'coupon' for a free XBox 360 game redeemable in their store.

Flowman
08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
So even though I bought the plat through star legends, it goes to PL?

Not complaining as I find elixirs more beneficial in PL anyways. Just curious.

Justg
08-11-2011, 03:27 PM
No Flow, if you bought it in Star Legends using Android Market, it stayed in Star Legends.

Doubletime
08-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for info Justg. Most companys wouldn't even bother with telling users anything. Just another example of how you guys go above and beyond when dealing with the fans. I wish the plat really was universal, but at least we know now and can move forward.

And definately thanks for the 30 plat in SL.

DT

Irulelol
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Was the platinum rewarded on pocket legends or star legends?

Justg
08-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Was the platinum rewarded on pocket legends or star legends?

Star Legends

Irulelol
08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
So if im playing on an apple device will i still get my platinum?

Flowman
08-11-2011, 03:45 PM
No Flow, if you bought it in Star Legends using Android Market, it stayed in Star Legends.
Oh, well unless I'm mistaken, I bought plat through star legends that got transfered to PL. Purchase was on August 2…I could have spent it all, but I'm 90% sure it was like 50ish plat that I had left that got switched to PL.

Doubletime
08-11-2011, 03:47 PM
So if im playing on an apple device will i still get my platinum?

I believe that Sam previously has said yes to this. It will automatically be in the SL account for users that bought plat in PL during the dates noted in the other thread announcing the plat give away/thank you.

Fyrce
08-11-2011, 04:33 PM
What if I bought plat through the STS store and used Amazon to pay for it?

At the moment it's all assigned to PL but it was purchased with the plan of using lots of it in SL.
None of it went through Apple or iTunes. I would think unless STS or Amazon has prohibitions, I should be able to allocate that plat. I'm sure I'm not the only one who used a non-Apple, non-iTunes, non-in-game channel.

So for those of us who went through STS and at the time did not get an option to allocate between SL and PL, can we do that now? Is there an issue if we spent plat in both games?

If we go through STS in the future, can we allocate some plat to one of STS' games and some other plat to another of STS' games? We're talking not being in game at all and going just through the STS website.

Justg
08-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Web purchases that we were not able to allocate were duped in both games for players that were playing Star Legends. Right now purchases in the Web Store must be allocated to a specific game, in the future we will put in functionality to split it.

bronislav84
08-11-2011, 04:44 PM
Thank you STS for the adjustment on my Web purchase! I would just like to formally thank STS. That is all.

Lowlyspy
08-11-2011, 04:53 PM
a specific platform’s App store

Lol i like how you worded that g. More to the point of the thread, yeah that was exactly wat i figured happened and though it sucks that this happened its something we cant change so i guess we'll just have to get used to it.

Colin Healey
08-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Star Legends

i recieved over 300 plat on my pl account, but only 38 on my sl account. i love the extra plat, but i'm a bit curious to how it was decided what account gets what.

i just likme understanding to the level i (angry word) people off.

Thanks.

BigBah
08-11-2011, 05:50 PM
thanks spacetimestudios for attempting to rectify this situation

Zerious
08-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Talk about crowd pleasing... You guys are the jelly in the peanut-butter sammich!

MoarPewPew
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Thank You for letting us know what the deal is with the plat.

Fyrce
08-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Web purchases that we were not able to allocate were duped in both games for players that were playing Star Legends. Right now purchases in the Web Store must be allocated to a specific game, in the future we will put in functionality to split it.

Whoa, Thank you. Sounds great.

I have not logged into SL for a couple weeks now, so I did not see that. The Android device I was using decided to hang w/ someone who is in training for a marathon, so it's rarely home (LOL).

Horsethe
08-11-2011, 06:54 PM
If platinum transfers are not allowed, then wouldn't a better way to deal with this issue be to have the players refund their platinum and be given a store credit? That way we can then re-purchase in the game we desire, and STS would not be out of pocket as the credit available would only be redeemable on STS products. Not sure if the current purchase system allows for this type of transaction though.

csb
08-11-2011, 09:00 PM
I specifically asked about plat sharing a month ago, and it was confirmed to be shared between PL and SL. I said i would wait for SL, but the response I got was go ahead, because it is shared.

So i bought 2000 plat in PL. Last week i downloaded the SL beta, and was spending the plat. Now, i see that i have only 23 plat in SL, and the rest in PL. The whole point of buying 2000 plat was to use it mostly in SL.

My RL cash flow is actually negative, i don't know when I can buy plat again, so this is a bummer...

octavos
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Thats what im talkin about, thanks G

WhoIsThis
08-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I understand the limitations that Apple set and how disappointed that you must feel.

Thanks for refunding our platinum balances in Pocket Legends. I know that you must have "eaten" quite a few loses in platinum there.

bjordan
08-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks for the explanation and for a great game. It sucks and it's frustrating that Apple's policies are effecting me even on Android, but it is what it is.

I know the iOS players are anxious to play and I'm anxious to have the larger community in game and the flood of new players so hopefully it'll happen soon and we can all be merry! :)

SssoulSsshine
08-12-2011, 04:42 PM
<snip>

We know we would not be anywhere without the loyal fans who play our games, and we very much appreciate their support and understanding.

- g

Loyalty is not given--it is earned.

Please let me know as soon as I can purchase plat for "Game #3".
I will buy it today.
:-)

Right back at ya for your support and amazing customer service.

Dark Avenger
08-12-2011, 05:14 PM
(we can't say iOS? Is this the new Voldemort?).

Yes...yes it is :D

Raulur
08-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Not true. I purchased through the Star Legends app using the market twice now, once last Friday and again today, and both times it showed up in Pocket Legends, not Star Legends. You might want to disable the in-app puchase until you get this sorted.