PDA

View Full Version : massively article

Zrawats
08-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Accordin to an article on massively http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/11/star-legends-a-sci-fi-mmo-launches-into-the-android-os/

SL launched on android first because it generates more revenue and has become the priority, does this mean sl is being held back from the apple market because it has been given less attention than android?

sente
08-13-2011, 03:14 AM
It is rather that they did not want the Android side to wait for Apple's approval process to complete.

Ellyidol
08-13-2011, 03:24 AM
Being second in priority (iOS) doesn't mean we are forgotten or being neglected. Not at all.

From a business point of view, it only makes sense to put more resources into a more profitable area. However, it doesn't mean that you give up your other areas.

It could mean more marketing and advertisement into the Android market rather than the iOS. It could also mean more device testing on Android devices rather than iOS devices. After all, both iOS and Android severs will be shared, so whatever work is put into Android will also be in iOS.

In short, don't worry :)

Gluttony
08-13-2011, 03:26 AM
Nice words Elly, however we have seen what this means. It means that iOS users will get everything second, and only if Apply approves (which it may not). So it is entirely possible that something in the future will only be availble to android users, you cannot completely take that off the table.

Ellyidol
08-13-2011, 03:36 AM
Nice words Elly, however we have seen what this means. It means that iOS users will get everything second, and only if Apply approves (which it may not). So it is entirely possible that something in the future will only be availble to android users, you cannot completely take that off the table.

You're right! I only hope for iOS experiencing delays of updates rather than absence of them.

I hope the day that Apple is too full of themselves to reject STS updates never comes. Be picky and stingy, fine, just don't reject. Lol.

Kraze
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok so the thought process behind the droid first is that they are more profitable... How is it going to boost iOS sales to treat them like second class players? Furthermore are we assuming that droid players wouldn't have spent the same plat next weekend they are spending this weekend? A multiplatform mmo with one group getting new content weeks before the other may eventually become a single platform game....

Gluttony
08-13-2011, 08:04 PM
Ok so the thought process behind the droid first is that they are more profitable... How is it going to boost iOS sales to treat them like second class players? Furthermore are we assuming that droid players wouldn't have spent the same plat next weekend they are spending this weekend? A multiplatform mmo with one group getting new content weeks before the other may eventually become a single platform game....

No the thought process behind Android first is that STS can test ideas and use the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't without having to update the client data via Apple, basically (as I understand it) Android makes everything as simple as all of the server side fixes we used to get. There isn't a lengthy submission approval/rejection process and so STS gets immediate gratification for the work they have implemented.

What it could lead to in the future is failed attempts at new ideas. For instance, the deal of the day may be rejected by Apple completely as such STS may remove it from the client update and cause iOS users to miss out on it completely. Also, as I see it there are a few things iOS users are waiting for via SL/PL #upgraded premium characters, deal of the day) and it would seem the bigger the bulk of the submission the greater the chance of rejection. In the end, sure it's fueled by greed but STS deserves revenue for their a finished product.

Kraze
08-13-2011, 08:30 PM

No the thought process behind Android first is that STS can test ideas and use the opportunity to see what works and what doesn't without having to update the client data via Apple, basically (as I understand it) Android makes everything as simple as all of the server side fixes we used to get. There isn't a lengthy submission approval/rejection process and so STS gets immediate gratification for the work they have implemented.

What it could lead to in the future is failed attempts at new ideas. For instance, the deal of the day may be rejected by Apple completely as such STS may remove it from the client update and cause iOS users to miss out on it completely. Also, as I see it there are a few things iOS users are waiting for via SL/PL #upgraded premium characters, deal of the day) and it would seem the bigger the bulk of the submission the greater the chance of rejection. In the end, sure it's fueled by greed but STS deserves revenue for their a finished product.
Sure they deserve revenue however the press release does not say because of apple delay we released sl to droid. It says that because they are more profitable tue decision was made to release on android first. Apple can't be blamed for that.