PDA

View Full Version : Level 24 skills? What are they and are they useful?

kamikazees
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I just hit lvl 24 on my Engineer. The skill unlocked is Sonic Boom, which appears to be a point-blank AoE skill. Unequipped and at lvl 1, the description is

15 energy, 30 sec. cool-down, 6m range, 9-17 AE damage.

I am not too impressed out of the gate because of the 30 second cool-down, but I will probably have to play with it a bit to see. It won't replace Transferrence, but maybe it's worth it as a supplemental damage skill.

So what are the Commando and Operative Skills? Are they game-changers, meh or somewhere in-between?

Doubletime
08-12-2011, 02:19 PM
I just hit lvl 24 on my Engineer. The skill unlocked is Sonic Boom, which appears to be a point-blank AoE skill. Unequipped and at lvl 1, the description is

15 energy, 30 sec. cool-down, 6m range, 9-17 AE damage.

I am not too impressed out of the gate because of the 30 second cool-down, but I will probably have to play with it a bit to see. It won't replace Transferrence, but maybe it's worth it as a supplemental damage skill.

So what are the Commando and Operative Skills? Are they game-changers, meh or somewhere in-between?

The operative skill (i forget the name off the top of my head) is ok I suppose. It is a ranged AOE slow skill. Same 30 sec. cool down. In testing yesterday it did not appear to do any damage to mobs. It is useful in spots -- group of mobs that damage based on close proximity to you and you want to slow them to allow kiting or range attacks. However, not a game changer.

bronislav84
08-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Finally a PBAOE, but 30 seconds cooldown? Oy vey. At least make it 10. These skills are gonna need CD adjustments if they're gonna be any good.

xXDamonDXx
08-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Don't know the ones for engineer and com, but the operative one i really dont like. I have taken the skill point out and put it to better use. I see no point what so ever in that lvl 24 op skill.

Sent from my Tardis Type-40 using Tapatalk

BodMaster
08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Lvl 24 skill for Com is Growing Rage!

Lvl 1

15 energy, 60 sec cool down + 15 sec Critical Buff

Used it once or twice to see if its any good but I think before I evaluate it properly I can't really say how usefully it is.. but maybe Lvl 6 is worth a shot to see the difference in the buff.

kamikazees
08-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I see no point what so ever in that lvl 24 op skill.

if it does no damage, my guess is the slowdown effect will be increased as more points are put in the skill. if that is the case, there are some interesting possibilities there.

kamikazees
08-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Lvl 24 skill for Com is Growing Rage!

Lvl 1

15 energy, 60 sec cool down + 15 sec Critical Buff
so it is a crit buff 25 percent of the time. I wonder how much. The operative skill amplify pain gives 10 critical at max level. I would expect this skill to beat that, but I guess we will see.

thanks everyone for your input!

Fastcast
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
I agree

Phoenixking
08-12-2011, 06:07 PM
So new skills arent really good D:

Breadkeeper
08-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Ive maxxed out the engi skill at 6, and i have to say im not to impressed. The build im running with right now, is. 6 Leach, 5 empathy , 1 revive, 5 Transference, 6 sonic boom.

My old build was 6 empathy, 1 revive, 6 protection, 6 transference.1 force shield

Im lvl 24.

I find i can throw a little bit of a punch, using transference and sonic boom together, but i also find that most of the time, if it does not kill the mobs i agro everything and die.
I do find the leach useful to keep myself alive more.
I Took out protection since it seems every group has more then 1 engie and the other engie usually has it.
Im not sold on this build yet as i do miss protection and force shield

On a side note, ive come across some engies that dont have revive, and to them i say...... useless.

BodMaster
08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
so it is a crit buff 25 percent of the time. I wonder how much. The operative skill amplify pain gives 10 critical at max level. I would expect this skill to beat that, but I guess we will see.

thanks everyone for your input!

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines.. just need to get some plat and play about for a new build while trying this new skill maxed out.

And your welcome buddy pretty good thread to see the +/- of other 24 skills

BodMaster
08-12-2011, 08:10 PM
On a side note, ive come across some engies that dont have revive, and to them i say...... useless.

Haha agree 100%!!! Even if they are using them as a Tank.. need Lvl1 revive at least

bronislav84
08-12-2011, 09:58 PM
The same thing in PL as in SL. People don't realize it does more then res. It gives 1 m/s, 1 DPS, and 1 armor. If this feature is ever taken out I will cry. Often I find myself on my Bear or Bird asking for res buff and people are like what is that, so I have to explain.

I had conversation with a mage in PL one time.

Person dies in our group and screams for res.
Me: Hey go res him please, I'm too far away.
Other mage: I don't have res.
Me: Why?
Other mage: I PK, so full attack mage.
Me: ROFL, even more useful for PVP because it's a buff.
Other mage: What does it buff?

True story. I explained the hidden buff effect to the person. In SL the skill is even more useful because there's few ways to raise m/s and you don't get it from gear here.

dcichoracki
08-13-2011, 12:16 AM
Level 25 operative here, put 4 points into the new skill, see no effect. Haven't leveled my engineer yet.

BodMaster
08-13-2011, 09:57 AM
I had conversation with a mage in PL one time.

Person dies in our group and screams for res.
Me: Hey go res him please, I'm too far away.
Other mage: I don't have res.
Me: Why?
Other mage: I PK, so full attack mage.
Me: ROFL, even more useful for PVP because it's a buff.
Other mage: What does it buff?

True story. I explained the hidden buff effect to the person. In SL the skill is even more useful because there's few ways to raise m/s and you don't get it from gear here.

Rofl!!! Some people do make me laugh xD

Oh yeah and a quick update.. took some time to check out maxed Growing Rage and yes with each lvl gained 10 crit added.. so Max gives you a total of 60 critical gain.

kamikazees
08-13-2011, 10:46 AM
.. so Max gives you a total of 60 critical gain.
Wow that is a really good deal. Crits do 50% more damage so a 60% crit 25% of the time is an overall increase of 7.5% in damage. More if you figure in armor.

BodMaster
08-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Yup pretty cool.. will test it out with some solo runs but think it will be better for group runs as the AoE skills come first when runnin solo :)

So by the sounds only com 24 skill is worth using then.. maybe Op at Max if slow down works..

Gala
08-13-2011, 03:40 PM
BodMaster, how long buff appears to last?

Acyer
08-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Here is the lvl 24 Commando skill
http://i54.tinypic.com/dgorqs.png
heres my toon unbuffed
http://i54.tinypic.com/2mi6x2.png
Heres my toon buffed with 3 skill points in the skill
http://i56.tinypic.com/35i7z1g.png

Gala
08-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Acyer how long does this buff?
5 second? 10? I dont have platinum to waste;f

Acyer
08-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Acyer how long does this buff?
5 second? 10? I dont have platinum to waste;f
15 Seconds.

BodMaster
08-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Only just got back on.. yhh its 15 sec put that in 1st post and Zero pic stated it aswel.. oh well