PDA

View Full Version : All Teams Love Awesome Support (A.T.L.A.S.) build

kamikazees
08-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Think the world of your Engineer? Then try the ATLAS build! This is an Engineer build meant to get you to lvl 25 (or 26) allowing you to support your teammates along the way. It is a very common build focusing on maxing Empathy, Protection and Transferrence, skills which are almost universal to all Engineers.

This build can be accomplished without respects (but see Note). I'll set forth the build first, then how to level it, how to use it and a suggested skill map. Your comments appreciated:

A. THE BUILD

1 - Wither
2 - Leech
6 - Empathy
1 - Revive
1 - Force Shield
0 - Suppression
6 - Protection
6 - Transferrence
1 - Pain
0 - Sonic Boom

Note: Most Engineers are respecing to drop Wither and Leech altogether, putting those 3 points elsewhere. Choices are Pain (offensive/boss), Force Shield (self-defensive) or Leech (offensive/self-defensive). Some may also choose Sonic Boom (offensive, general). Respecing is not necessary but is more effective.

B. HOW TO LEVEL IT

2. Wither (1) (auto)
3. Leech (1) (auto)
4. Empathy (1) (auto)
5. Empathy (2)
6. Revive (1) (auto)
7. Empathy (3)
8. Force Shield (1)
9. Empathy (4)
10. Empathy (5)
11. Empathy (6)
12. Leech (2)
13. Protection (1)
14. Protection (2)
15. Protection (3)
16. Transferrence (1)
17. Protection (4)
18. Protection (5)
19. Protection (6)
20. Pain (1)
21. Transferrence (2)
22. Transferrence (3)
23. Transferrence (4)
24. Transferrence (5)
25. Transferrence (6)
(26). Pain (2)

C. HOW TO USE IT

This build is simple and very effective. It relies on Empathy to heal, Protection to lessen damage, and Transferrence for damage and healing. All 3 cost 10 energy. Empathy can be active 6 out of 8 seconds. Protection lasts 2 minutes. Transferrence can be used every 10 seconds and heals allies near the target on the second tick. Cheap + Effective + Useful = Win.

Using these skills is easy. Activate Protection before battle. Empathy when the party starts taking damage (or when appropriate). At lower levels, use Wither and Leech to damage. Later, use Transferrence. Use Pain/Leech if the Engineer pulls aggro. Force Shield between encounters (or when the Engie can avoid aggro). Works all the time.

But why no love for Wither, Suppression or Sonic Boom, you ask? Well, I think these skills do not have a good cost/benefit ratio. Wither is a DOT that takes 10 seconds to fully work. It is also reduced by armor. Chances are, if the mob you hit with it lives 10 seconds, it has A LOT of armor and will not take much damage. Suppression is better with the recent change, but is more geared for solo play. Sonic Boom is also ok, but has such a long recharge (30 seconds) it is usually better to invest elsewhere.

D. SUGGESTED SKILL MAP

1. Empathy
2. Transferrence
3. Leech
4. Pain

5. Empathy
6. Protection
7. Force Shield
8. Revive

1, then 2, 3 and/or 4 are the main attacks (depending on what you need). 5 makes sure you always have Empathy ready (you can put Wither in slot 5 if you want to use it. I don't). 6, 7 and 8 are your buffs.

So what do you think?

Nourish
08-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Can't wait to try it with my engineer! Once the game comes out :)

IBNobody
08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
That's pretty much how I have my Engineer set up... The only problem with it is that it now Empathy and Protection don't stack with other Engineers in the party. If you have two Engineers in a party with max Protection, 6 skill points are wasted.

I'm tempted to dump Protection into Force Shield.

kamikazees
08-15-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm tempted to dump Protection into Force Shield.
I am seeing more Engineers drop Protection in favor of other skills because it does not stack. I was in a group yesterday with an Engie who did not have it. He was the only Engie too, which meant our group did not have Protection. Empathy also does not stack. Thankfully no one is dropping that skill too! Having them is still the gold standard for support.

Honestly it is more of a problem with Engineers in general. Engineers as a class do not work well together.

Arterra
08-15-2011, 11:23 AM
I have my protection at 4 specifically to stack with others, but still offer decent armor if only engie. Also let's me put points elsewhere.
I also just don't like leech... empathy has enough regen ability and with transference you're fine. Having both less protection and leech means I can get transference stronger earlier too, or put points towards wither to give a slight damage boost against harder mobs and bosses.

Reggin
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I've been testing out a more offensive engineer build, and so far I love it...

Attack Focused Engineer

6 - Wither 3 - Leech 6 - Empathy 1 - Revive 1 - Force Shield 0 - Suppression 0 - Protection 6 - Transferrence 1 - Pain 1 - Sonic Boom

Using the level 25 plat set and the +5 damage implant... It is a NASTY solo build too if you know how to kite... The damage implant boosts dot damage like crazy, so I'm going to try to solo guardian at lunch...

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I generally agree with the build, and find that Wither and Leech at such low ranks are better off just reskilled if you have the plat. They just don't do much for me.

And yea, Engineers as a class don't work well together. I really think the same rank of Empathy and Protection should retime each other for a full duration, the same way that PL Mage buffs do. Either that or allow Protection to retime and Empathy to stack as a compromise. I'd go for the second one since more heals is good, no? On top of that, in changing the stacking of Protection they seem to have lowered it's duration.

Reggin have you tried alternating Suppression and Pain? For a solo build Suppression actually is decent.

Kraze
08-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Sorry a little off topic but as an iOS player trying to be less noobish once I get my hands on sl is there any chance someone can post a description for sonic boom

Breadkeeper
08-16-2011, 05:50 PM
I had dropped protection for a different skill, and it worked fine for a while, but then i did find when i was lone engineer it was much harder to heal without it. so i have gotten it back, and just come to the conclusion that a party is nerfed with 2 engies. Not to the point where you cant do it. heck i like having 3 engies. But it is definatly a disadvantage.