PDA

View Full Version : DO's and DON'Ts of Star Legends

IBNobody
08-15-2011, 10:40 PM
INTRODUCTION

I wanted to share some of the etiquette and strategy tidbits I've picked up with everybody.

These are guidelines, and it's okay to break some of them if you are experienced and know what you're doing.

If you have a do/don't you would like to add to this list, please reply to this post and I'll add it.

GENERAL

PACING

DO wait patiently at a level's entrance for your teammates to arrive and get ready.

Some maps, especially in the Delta-7 campaign, have large groups of enemies that you can trigger right from the start. Others, like the last CyCorp map, have multiple sub-maps, and each sub-map might begin with a mass attack. If you wait for everyone to be ready, you will have a greater chance to survive.

DON'T continue a level while one of your teammates is listed as "BUSY".

If the teammate is busy, they are likely equipping items or adjusting skills/stats. The end result is that they'll be a more powerful teammate. Plus, you'll be one gun short if you move on without them. This goes doubly true for busy engineers - a busy healer means no heals.

DO stay with your group, even if you know they are going the wrong way.

Some groups skip parts of maps in order to get to the boss more quickly. If you think that your group is lost, let them know.
Thanks, Raulur

DON'T waste unnecessary time when a teammate is using an Enhancer.

Your teammate spent real life cash to boost his abilities. Those boosts indirectly benefit you. You should still pause to let people regroup or regenerate before a battle, but don't slow the party down.

DO wait for your teammates to recover mana before tackling the map's boss.

Many times, your team's mana reserves will dwindle as you slug it out though a level. When you get to the map's boss, wait a little bit so that everyone can recharge. If you don't, your team may run out of mana during the fight, preventing them from using critical skills or forcing them to drink potions.

ENEMY GROUP MANAGEMENT

DON'T open a door or activate a switch while your team is fighting...unless the map you're on requires it.

In general, opening a door can trigger an enemy attack from a group waiting behind that door. If you open up the door, you'll add extra enemies to the group already attacking you. This could easily result in your team's demise.

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then come running back to the group with 12 mobs in tow.

You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.
Thanks, mycroftxxx!

DO check your mini-map for enemies that spawn behind you.

On certain maps, enemies will spawn in the hallways after the first character walks by. If you keep going, you may leave the rest of your team behind.

CHARACTER MAINTENANCE

DO try and postpone character maintenance for the beginning of levels or for back at the base.

Try to enter each map with an empty inventory and have all stats and skillpoints assigned.

DON'T abandon your team to go turn quests in back at the base.

If you finish a quest, just wait until your team splits up before turning it in. There's not time limit to turn in your quests. You may temporarily miss getting the next quest in the quest chain, but you can always pick it up later. You'll also be playing the map over and over, anyway.

CHARACTER DEATH

DON'T be afraid to die.

Currently, the only penalty to dying is that you come back alive with ~30% health and mana. You may also have to hike back to the rest of your party.
Disregard this tip if you're trying to achieve a spotless death record.

DO (politely) ask for an Engineer to revive you when you die.

Sometimes an Engineer won't notice that you've died, or they may think you'll choose to respawn at the entrance. If you ask for a revive, you may save yourself from a long walk back from the map's start.

GENERAL SKILL USAGE

DON'T just auto-attack. Use your skills, too!

The skills you acquire in-game are critical in destroying your foes and keeping your party alive. If you put forth minimal effort, people will notice.
Thanks Ezarf

DO attempt to understand how your skills function.

Skills in Star Legends can have have unintended consequences. You need to understand how they work before you employ them on a regular basis. For example, the Engineer's Suppression skill causes other players to change their auto-attack targets. If used during a boss fight, it may make your teammates change their targets from the boss to some of the extra enemies.
Thanks, Raulur

DO be careful when using your enemy knockback skills.

Avoid knocking enemies back into another untriggered group of enemies. Try to lead your targets back a little where you can knock them sideways, or get behind them and knock them back down the a cleared corridor.
Thanks, Raulur

DON'T use a knockback skill on an enemy that someone else is kiting.

(Kiting is the act of shooting an enemy while running backwards.) If you use a knockback skill on the enemy, you risk knocking the enemy into your teammate.
Thanks, Mycroftxxx

DON'T use AOE skills indiscriminantly.

Using an AOE skill may trigger extra nearby enemies. Before you unleash the skill, look around you to make sure you won't pull more enemies into the fight.
Thanks, Mycroftxxx

DO learn to time your skills with your teammates to cause skill combos.

Suppression (EN) + Force Hammer (CM) = Mez Breaker
Graviton Slam (CM) + Lurch (OP) = Ripper
Psychic Lash (OP) + Transference (EN) = Backlash

LOOTING

DON'T open a chest unless your party is close by.

In Star Legends, everyone gets loot from a chest, provided they are within range of it. If you are greedy and make a bee-line for every chest, you are essentially robbing your teammates of loot.

DO wait for fallen party members to arrive before looting if you wipe in a room with treasure.

Again, nobody likes to lose out on treasure. If someone dies and is running back to the room, they'll be upset if the chest was looted. This goes doubly so if that person was the one who unlocked a class-specific door for you.

DON'T be the first one to open a supply crate / treasure chest.

Let others have the enjoyment of opening the chest. You'll still get your loot. Plus, you won't be the one held accountable for stealing the chest.

DO keep a look out for class-specific doors that you can open.

Engineers can open broken terminals. Operatives can hack purple terminals. Commandos can breech damaged doors. Be careful, though. These doors don't always offer unguarded loot!

BUYING & SELLING

DON'T list useless junk in the auction house.

If it's a trash (grey) or common (white) item, just sell it. It's worthless, unless it's part of a crafting recipe.

DON'T list quest rewards in the auction house.

Just because you got that nifty green item from a quest doesn't mean you should sell it.

Items to avoid selling:

Advanced Flashguns
Advanced Power Glove
Advanced ARK-X Cannon

DO buy Platinum.

Star Legends is a free-to-play mobile MMORPG. You can play the entire game (currently) for free. If you like the game, you should support the developer by buying Platinum, the pay-to-pay currency. Platinum can be purchased for real cash and can be used to buy many character enhancements.

SOCIAL

DON'T send friend requests or guild joining requests to everyone you see.

Some people find these requests from strangers to be annoying. Friend requests never appear to expire, and you have to reject them one-by-one to clear your list. Guild requests do expire, but the message text of the invite can briefly take up most of a phone's viewing screen. If you want friends, spend a few minutes talking to someone.

DON'T put people down because they are using an iOS/Android device.

The game is meant to be social, and the last thing you want to do is alienate half your prospective teammates.

DO re-map your quick-sayings.

The default quick-sayings aren't always useful.
Here's what I have mapped:

Thank you.
Over here!
Hold On...
Revive me, please.

CLASSES

GENERAL

DO put all your stat points into your class's primary stat.

Commandos should put all points into STR.
Operatives should put all points into DEX.
Engineers should put all points into INT.

Unlike Pocket Legends, Star Legends changed to a system where a class derives the most benefit from a single stat. All items are currently wearable by anyone, provided you meet the level and class requirements.

DO use properly prefixed equipment for your character.

Uncommon (orange) items have a prefix, and that prefix determines what bonuses the item provides. In general...

Commandos should choose "Modified" equipment because they boost STR.
Operatives should choose "Special" equipment because they boost DEX.
Engineers should choose "Limited" equipment because they boost INT.

DO plan ahead on what kind of skill-build you want to employ.

Take a look at the class forums for some suggested skill builds. A skill point not spent is a skill point wasted.

ENGINEERS

ENGINEERS, DO max out Empathy and cast it often.

Casting Empathy ("that group heal spell") is an Engineer's #1 purpose in a group. If you fail to cast it frequently or put enough skill points into it for it to be effective, people will notice.

COMMANDOS

COMMANDOS, DO be the first one to run into a crowd of enemies.

Commandos have the best armor and are meant to draw fire away from Engineers and (especially) Operatives.

OPERATIVES

OPERATIVES, DON'T be afraid to run, but DO stay in an Engineer's heal radius and also away from dormant enemies.

Operatives have low armor and can die quickly. Against melee-only enemies, it's okay to run around. Just remember that Engineers have a fixed healing radius. If you run out of it, you won't be able to get Empathy cast upon you for 8 seconds. Also, avoid running into a new group of enemies. Don't be "that guy" who blunders into the next mob cluster.

OPERATIVES, DON'T be the first one to run into a crowd of enemies.

Again, Operatives have very low armor compared to the other classes. Let the Commandos start the fight. You'll be the one who finishes it.
Thanks Raulur

SUPAPRODIGY
08-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Nicw thread i havent gotten to play StarLegends this will benefit some IOS users

Tvis
08-15-2011, 10:51 PM
This thread is fantastic! Amazing pointers for all players. This should be stickied!!

Zrawats
08-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Thanks!

IBNobody
08-15-2011, 11:37 PM
This thread is fantastic! Amazing pointers for all players. This should be stickied!!

Thank you.

I was inspired to write this after the 15 or so CyCorp Consumer Testing / Shipping Bay runs I made while trying to find/kill the Vular Ticker. I kept seeing people make the same mistakes, over and over. They'd open doors and flood the area with Vular or CyCorp guards. Or they'd pull the huge crowd of Vular at the end of of Shipping Bays, making anyone who went down the final ladder die an insta-death.

There was even one case where a Commando opened the Commando-only door and then ended up dying. By the time he got back to the door he helped open, the treasure was looted. That was NOT cool.

My hope is that people will read these DO's and DON'Ts and not make the same mistakes.

Piosidon
08-15-2011, 11:42 PM
You gonna get a big thumbs up from me

BodMaster
08-16-2011, 01:33 AM
Good job buddy! There are a few pointers I seen/need missing/changing but other than that great work! (Get more time will expand on this)

Kakatoa91
08-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Nice lil guide and effort writing it.

People tend to forget its more team oriented and people should stick in group.

The Flash
08-16-2011, 05:48 AM
If only people did this i would have maybe 5 deaths instead of 15. I could dream lol

StompArtist
08-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Hey. I think this is a great thread! I do disagree with:

"DON'T list useless junk in the auction house.
If it's a trash (grey) or common (white) item, just sell it. It's worthless, unless it's part of a crafting recipe."

Bottom line is that if folks are willing to buy grays or whites from the auction house it is perfectly acceptable to list them no matter the color...

KhaosAngel
08-16-2011, 08:28 AM

If it's a trash (grey) or common (white) item, just sell it. It's worthless, unless it's part of a crafting recipe."

Bottom line is that if folks are willing to buy grays or whites from the auction house it is perfectly acceptable to list them no matter the color...
Agree- some of the greys and whites look cool- I have a few sets of greys and whites for "out on the town" nights :) Good info piece!

KhaosAngel
08-16-2011, 08:32 AM
INTRODUCTION

COMMANDOS, DO be the first one to run into a crowd of enemies.

Commandos have the best armor and are meant to draw fire away from Engineers and (especially) Operatives.

I think we are all seeing the outcome when this isn't happening

BodMaster
08-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Beat me to it.. yhh totally agree with you as you can not advise people to stop putting random stuff in CS as people will put what they want in for how much they want (been the same since PL).. though if people need specific items, people just need to use filter.

themars
08-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Sorry i mention this but i think u wrote two times commando instead of engeneer

DO use properly prefixed equipment for your character. Uncommon (orange) items have a prefix, and that prefix determines what bonuses the item provides. In general... Commandos should choose "Modified" equipment because they boost STR. Operatives should choose "Special" equipment because they boost DEX. Commandos should choose "Limited" equipment because they boost INT.

IBNobody
08-16-2011, 09:05 AM

DO use properly prefixed equipment for your character. Uncommon (orange) items have a prefix, and that prefix determines what bonuses the item provides. In general... Commandos should choose "Modified" equipment because they boost STR. Operatives should choose "Special" equipment because they boost DEX. Commandos should choose "Limited" equipment because they boost INT.

Yes... It was a cut/paste typo - fixed.

themars
08-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Yes... It was a cut/paste typo - fixed.

Sorry didnt mention yet, great guide!!!
I hope people will use them cause somtimes they drive me crazy. ;)

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I disagree about being afraid to die should be a don't. For those of us who want a clean death count, deaths should be a DO be afraid to die and DON'T go with people who will get you killed.

Just my 2 cents. Great thread otherwise.

IBNobody
08-16-2011, 10:11 AM
I disagree about being afraid to die should be a don't. For those of us who want a clean death count, deaths should be a DO be afraid to die and DON'T go with people who will get you killed.

Just my 2 cents. Great thread otherwise.

How about if I mention the leader boards in that one? Though, for most of us, if you aren't dying, you aren't trying.

PsYcHo MaRiNe-X
08-16-2011, 10:13 AM
These small little pointers will benifit alot of people, if implemented by a player in SL.. Especially for noobs. Great job with this thread

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
How about if I mention the leader boards in that one? Though, for most of us, if you aren't dying, you aren't trying.That might work, but I doubt I will get on the boards unless I go find a good place to get kills that I can solo. I just hate dieing. A lot. Better to just say that if you want no deaths, then be afraid to die, but play smart. And I'll have you know that although I'm a known coward in my guild when it comes do deaths, I just play smart and know when to run so I can avoid them then come back to save the party a walk. People generally don't die in my company, unless it's a situation that forces us to split up away from Empathy range. Otherwise I'm always healing and casting Protection. So I'm insulted, kinda. :(

In the beta, I had two deaths, both horrible mistakes. First was electrified water, and second was the Commandos at the start of Corp which IIRC got removed now.

IBNobody
08-16-2011, 11:18 AM
That might work, but I doubt I will get on the boards unless I go find a good place to get kills that I can solo. I just hate dieing. A lot. Better to just say that if you want no deaths, then be afraid to die, but play smart. And I'll have you know that although I'm a known coward in my guild when it comes do deaths, I just play smart and know when to run so I can avoid them then come back to save the party a walk. People generally don't die in my company, unless it's a situation that forces us to split up away from Empathy range. Otherwise I'm always healing and casting Protection. So I'm insulted, kinda. :(

In the beta, I had two deaths, both horrible mistakes. First was electrified water, and second was the Commandos at the start of Corp which IIRC got removed now.

How about if I preface things as: If you know what you're doing, some of these DO's and DON'Ts may not be applicable.

mycroftxxx
08-16-2011, 12:08 PM
How about:

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then coming running back to them with 12 mobs in tow. You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.

IBNobody
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
How about:

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then coming running back to them with 12 mobs in tow. You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.

Oh yeah. I forgot that classic.

Also, don't kite enemies and die next to a busy player.

SssoulSsshine
08-16-2011, 01:12 PM
<snip>

If the teammate is busy, they are likely equipping items or adjusting skills/stats. The end result is that they'll be a more powerful teammate. Plus, you'll be one gun short if you move on without them. This goes doubly true for busy engineers - a busy healer means no heals.

<snip>

How about...
Don't just immediately stop once you level so you can adjust your skill and stat points...
Finishing the current level with one less skill points and 5 less stat points isn't going to make or break anything.
If it's a major milestone like 20 or 25 and you have all new gear to put on, then *ask* the team to hold up a second while you equip.
Otherwise it's rude, IMNSHO, to just hold up the team while you adjust 5 stat points and figure out where one skill point is going to go..and *doubly*, no *quadrupally* rude if anyone happens to be using enhancers.

Just my 2 credits...

Redbridge
08-16-2011, 01:14 PM
adding to the SL list

StompArtist
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Also, don't kite enemies and die next to a busy player.

Why not? It's funny!

Cahaun
08-16-2011, 02:24 PM
<snip>

<snip>

How about...
Don't just immediately stop once you level so you can adjust your skill and stat points...
Finishing the current level with one less skill points and 5 less stat points isn't going to make or break anything.
If it's a major milestone like 20 or 25 and you have all new gear to put on, then *ask* the team to hold up a second while you equip.
Otherwise it's rude, IMNSHO, to just hold up the team while you adjust 5 stat points and figure out where one skill point is going to go..and *doubly*, no *quadrupally* rude if anyone happens to be using enhancers.

Just my 2 credits...

I thought the guide told us to put all our points into the corresponding category I.e. commando-str, engie-int, operative-dex. That means it won't take too long. Plus if you are about to be a "busy" person just look at the situation and see if it is ok for the group to take a quick 10 second break. And new gear DOES make a big impact. I.e. the new armor giving you over 20 armor is a must. Just a thought. Good guide it is!:)

Samhayne
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Nice post!

I clicked the 514 thumbs up for this one!

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 04:20 PM
How about if I preface things as: If you know what you're doing, some of these DO's and DON'Ts may not be applicable.Good idea. :)
How about:

DON'T wander off from the group, get yourself in trouble, and then coming running back to them with 12 mobs in tow. You're going to die anyway; there's no sense in killing all your teammates too.I've had this happen to me many times, and I've come out on top. Run and shoot, run and shoot. Not only did I not kill anybody when bringing the mobs to them, but by the time I got to them it was more like 5 mobs lol.

Ebalere
08-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying", zero-death players are the first to run and leave the group to wipe, zero death players WILL exit the game if there is no other option. I dont like deaths either, but if i gotta tank guardian when my commando goes down, so be it. If i die, so be it. Zero death players who are engi's could have casted that last transference or empathy, but they're too busy turning tail. Zero death commandos will just exit games on you because they have all the aggro and it's pretty impossible to run before you die, which in turn wipes the team more often than not. If i see a player with a zero death record, I'll either leave, or expect the enevitable(sp?). I don't need the extra burden of some who holds back their skills in fear of aggro, or someone who will take off running if the party's health drops below 40%, instead of holding their ground and dying with honor (if thats what it comes to) knowing they did all they could. I don't like having to take into consideration that yes, there is a k/d queen in the ranks, and we have to be extra careful running the level, cuz if they die they'll throw a fit. Everyone can play the game how they want, but the way these players play with a spotless record in an indication that they manipulated the game in their favors to avoid deaths, such as leaving at bosses, never running the harder levels, ditching the team when it gets a little crazy, and so on, and not ever really experiencing the actual game.

A large % of the people with spotless records are guilty of at least one of the things i stated above, the rest of them being solo players who still don't finish the maps. Zero deaths = pretty much useless on a team (when the crap hits the shovel). I mean, ya they're there fighting with you, but only to a certain extent, you know what they're really worried about. My engi has 20 or so deaths and they are my battle scars. I went down learning guardian, I went down trying to rev my team in a huge mob fight, and so on. I'm proud of my deaths because it shows i'm not afraid to play the game to the fullest, and shows I can suffer the occasional wipe every now and then. Like i said, if i see someone with 2k kills, no deaths, I might as well just leave then and there because they aren't gonna be there for you when the going gets rough. I guarantee these guys avoided the levels in delta with the rockfalls like the plague. Lol

My 2 cents.

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM
You're wrong. At least, that isn't how I play. I do everything I can to keep the party up and when I'm running/exiting, it's cause everybody else is dead, all the mobs are on me, and I'm spamming pots like they're going out of style. So think about what you say, please. This isn't how every zero death player is.

Ebalere
08-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Having trouble finding the post Bron, but I clearly remembering you offering help to someone, as long as it isn't a place with one shot kills like, as stated above, the Delta levels where rocks fall. Therefore, you fall into one of the categories that I outlined in my post. I'm speaking from every experience I've had with Zero death players, and I've never played with you, so if you think you don't belong in my generalization, then ignore my post. However, you do belong there, as I've already explained. You can play the game however you want, but I don't see why you'd limit yourself to 75% of the games content in fear of dying.

I don't have to be careful of what I say, because it is my opinion, and if you wish to contest me on this, I'd be glad to do a few guardian runs with you ;) This is in no way a flame post or a troll post, I'm just venting, as I just had a zero death commando leave my game when someone accidentally attracted two vulars in the uncharted ruins, leading to a wipe of the 3 operatives and 1 engi. It ruins the game for the rest of us who aren't so seriously concerned about a digit in a videogame.

Uzikrabd
08-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Good tips, honestly im going to try and go with friends since we listen to each other......usually

Also i do think you shouldnt wait for someone busy, what if you have 5 minutes til you have to get off and want to finish, you shouldnt get mad at people for not waiting on your every move, this is my opinion so please dont quote

BodMaster
08-16-2011, 05:37 PM
Ebalere I get what you are saying but from my perspective I don't believe all players not wanting to die do this.. I am one of them myself and I had 0 then 4 now 8 deaths with 10k kills due to (battle scars) but still play quite careful not to die and im sure alot will vouch for me when I say I am the first in as a com (tanks job) and will try my very best to not die but also help or tank into a bunch of enemies if other players are getting swarmed with vulgar or even guardian sprints im there when the **** hits the fan.. lol so just letn u know that our types are out there as well :D

Anyways... nice way to vent haha xD

bronislav84
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Having trouble finding the post Bron, but I clearly remembering you offering help to someone, as long as it isn't a place with one shot kills like, as stated above, the Delta levels where rocks fall. Therefore, you fall into one of the categories that I outlined in my post. I'm speaking from every experience I've had with Zero death players, and I've never played with you, so if you think you don't belong in my generalization, then ignore my post. However, you do belong there, as I've already explained. You can play the game however you want, but I don't see why you'd limit yourself to 75% of the games content in fear of dying.

I don't have to be careful of what I say, because it is my opinion, and if you wish to contest me on this, I'd be glad to do a few guardian runs with you ;) This is in no way a flame post or a troll post, I'm just venting, as I just had a zero death commando leave my game when someone accidentally attracted two vulars in the uncharted ruins, leading to a wipe of the 3 operatives and 1 engi. It ruins the game for the rest of us who aren't so seriously concerned about a digit in a videogame.One shot kills is different though. There's nothing. Just dead. Any death you can delay or avoid, I do it all until I'm the only one left and HAVE to run. I'm also usually the last one standing in Sewers in PL because people are just too reckless and I'm not. :) I've got like 400 some odd deaths though, hehe. Almost all of them have been one shots, suicide ressing, helping friends, or crit deaths on traps. God I hate that PL traps can crit.

And yea I realize you're not trying to set me off. Hey I went to miner to learn the fight like the day before they wiped the numbers expecting to die. Still didn't but the fight went less than well.

I'll definitely take you up on that offer, just wait until they fix the sound. The majority of the way I play depends on sound. I have quick fingers, but silent Numa just bothers me. I need the sound confirmations to he able to do what I do and walk away from hairy situations without a death.

Oh and I'd prefer to do my learning on an alt but my Engineer is the only one who can access Numa.

ezarf
08-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Don't join a game and auto attack the whole game, had several com and eng do this, slows everyone down and if they do get good loot doesn't make some ppl happy

What I would add

IBNobody
08-16-2011, 10:01 PM
Don't join a game and auto attack the whole game, had several com and eng do this, slows everyone down and if they do get good loot doesn't make some ppl happy

What I would add

Do you mean that they just attack and not use skills?

Diodge
08-16-2011, 11:41 PM
I look at quests completed.

Stull
08-17-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for taking the time and thought on posting this great beginner "walkthrough". Even though I'm a seasoned RPG + MMORPG player, its good to have a refresher.
Becks/Stull

Raulur
08-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Great guide! A few I would add:

DO be careful with your knockback skills. DO NOT knock a tough enemy back into another group of enemies. Many team wipes in Numa levels are caused by this. Give somebody the chance to lead it back a little where you can knock it sideways, then you can use the knockback.

DO NOT try to lead the group as an Operative, UNLESS you are willing to keep yourself alive with stims. Otherwise you just waste a lot of the engineer's power when he/she has to revive you constantly.

DO let a teamate die when they are constantly doing things wrong. Better to revive just one than wipe everyone just to save a loose cannon that will die anyway. They will either get the hint, or leave.

DO stay together, even when you think the group is going the wrong way. Some groups skip parts of maps in order to get to the boss more quickly.

DO NOT try to mesmerize a mini-boss. Let someone with higher armor engage that enemy while you and the others get rid of the weaker enemies. Engineers have a skill called Pain that works very well on tough enemies. Use that instead of the mesmerize.

StompArtist
08-17-2011, 07:49 AM
I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying", zero-death players are the first to run and leave the group to wipe, zero death players WILL exit the game if there is no other option. I dont like deaths either, but if i gotta tank guardian when my commando goes down, so be it. If i die, so be it. Zero death players who are engi's could have casted that last transference or empathy, but they're too busy turning tail. Zero death commandos will just exit games on you because they have all the aggro and it's pretty impossible to run before you die, which in turn wipes the team more often than not. If i see a player with a zero death record, I'll either leave, or expect the enevitable(sp?). I don't need the extra burden of some who holds back their skills in fear of aggro, or someone who will take off running if the party's health drops below 40%, instead of holding their ground and dying with honor (if thats what it comes to) knowing they did all they could. I don't like having to take into consideration that yes, there is a k/d queen in the ranks, and we have to be extra careful running the level, cuz if they die they'll throw a fit. Everyone can play the game how they want, but the way these players play with a spotless record in an indication that they manipulated the game in their favors to avoid deaths, such as leaving at bosses, never running the harder levels, ditching the team when it gets a little crazy, and so on, and not ever really experiencing the actual game.

I got zero deaths on 2 of my char and 1 death on the next. This is not how I play, in fact I was told to slow down by several players yesterday. On the downside, my pot/stim consumption is off the scale :D

Furthermore I think the fact that deaths have no real consequences in the game is a design flaw. Because of this a bunch of players are blindly running around to their deaths completely oblivious of self preservation and proper timing. If anything the lack of "punishment" for deaths encourages carelessness and sloppy game-play.

KhaosAngel
08-17-2011, 07:52 AM
I totally agree with "if you ain't dying, you ain't trying.
I totally disagree

whalords
08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
You gonna get a big thumbs up from me
I played star legends on an android once and it is so awesome!!!!!! when it releases for apple probably in 5,000 years when all apple device are gone we can all play it! jk lol... but it is a cool game good job STS!

bronislav84
08-17-2011, 10:10 AM

I got zero deaths on 2 of my char and 1 death on the next. This is not how I play, in fact I was told to slow down by several players yesterday. On the downside, my pot/stim consumption is off the scale :D

Furthermore I think the fact that deaths have no real consequences in the game is a design flaw. Because of this a bunch of players are blindly running around to their deaths completely oblivious of self preservation and proper timing. If anything the lack of "punishment" for deaths encourages carelessness and sloppy game-play.I know right? No downsides except a counter hinders the self preservation instinct. I don't like being told just cause I have zero or low deaths that I'm not trying, when it's completely untrue.

IBNobody
08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
A discussion of the ups and downs of a consequence-free death system would make a great feedback post.

May I request that we move that talk to a separate post?

EDIT: Started a topic
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?34037-Should-Death-have-Consequences&p=384755#post384755

IBNobody
08-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Great guide! A few I would add:

DO be careful with your knockback skills. DO NOT knock a tough enemy back into another group of enemies. Many team wipes in Numa levels are caused by this. Give somebody the chance to lead it back a little where you can knock it sideways, then you can use the knockback.

DO NOT try to lead the group as an Operative, UNLESS you are willing to keep yourself alive with stims. Otherwise you just waste a lot of the engineer's power when he/she has to revive you constantly.

DO let a teamate die when they are constantly doing things wrong. Better to revive just one than wipe everyone just to save a loose cannon that will die anyway. They will either get the hint, or leave.

DO stay together, even when you think the group is going the wrong way. Some groups skip parts of maps in order to get to the boss more quickly.

DO NOT try to mesmerize a mini-boss. Let someone with higher armor engage that enemy while you and the others get rid of the weaker enemies. Engineers have a skill called Pain that works very well on tough enemies. Use that instead of the mesmerize.

I added all but letting people die and not mezzing boss adds. Thanks!

The foolish may deserve to die, and I may let them, but I rather not add something to the list that doesn't promote teamwork.

I didn't add the mezzing suggestion because I don't understand the situation. Are you saying not to use crowd control on adds and are recommending that someone tank the boss while others clean up?

KhaosAngel
08-17-2011, 09:53 PM
teamwork.

Teamwork:eagerness:

Raulur
08-17-2011, 11:46 PM
I added all but letting people die and not mezzing boss adds. Thanks!

The foolish may deserve to die, and I may let them, but I rather not add something to the list that doesn't promote teamwork.

I didn't add the mezzing suggestion because I don't understand the situation. Are you saying not to use crowd control on adds and are recommending that someone tank the boss while others clean up?

The mez thing is because it auto-changes everyone's target. If you get swarmed by lesser enemies, feel free. The problem is when you are fighting, for instance, a Vular in Numa. Then everone's target auto-changes to one of the enemies in the next group, soon you are fighting 2 Vular at the same time. Some groups can handle it, some cannot.

If your engineer uses pain on the toughest enemy, it will stun them long enough to kill most of the adds. Most commandos and engineers at 25 and above can tank a vular for a few seconds without dying anyway, even longer if someone spams heals.

I guess the point is: DO NOT just spam skills. Know what each one does and when to use it. Using the wrong skill at the wrong time will not make you very many friends.

mycroftxxx
08-18-2011, 12:03 AM
Another one, similar to the last batch you added (and something I mentioned ~6 months ago in my Balefort Sewers guide):

DON'T use push attacks against an enemy while another player is kiting them. You'll likely push the enemy within range to damage the player, and maybe even kill them. This is especially not in your interest if the enemy then turns on you.

IBNobody
08-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Another one, similar to the last batch you added (and something I mentioned ~6 months ago in my Balefort Sewers guide):

DON'T use push attacks against an enemy while another player is kiting them. You'll likely push the enemy within range to damage the player, and maybe even kill them. This is especially not in your interest if the enemy then turns on you.

Good tactical advice. Can you think of anything else from PL that would apply to SL?

mycroftxxx
08-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Good tactical advice. Can you think of anything else from PL that would apply to SL?

Well, there is my eternal pet peeve:

DON'T wake up nearby groups of enemies (e.g. using AOEs) when you don't have to. It's almost always better to engage fewer enemies at once.

IBNobody
08-19-2011, 11:30 AM
I've added combos, and the other suggestions.

xBearSpiritx
08-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Very nice thread - appreciate the time and effort that went into it.

Everyone should take notice of this :)

groundhawg
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I'm new to this, so I don't make any claims to greatness. However, that being said, is it too much to ask for people to NOT shoot exploding barrels when their teammates are next to them? It's one thing if you're in a firefight and things are getting crazy, but when we're just walking from point A to point B it's pretty annoying to lose a chunk of my life bar due to trigger happy teammates..

MaxxSteele
09-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I would like to add: "Stay together, or close to the engineer, yes it's his job to heal the group, but it makes his job much more difficult if he has to run back and forth healing people because they are not close to him" or something of that nature.

Acyer
09-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Zero's Dos and don'ts
Dos
Buy tons of stims
Learn to play class
Save credits to buy stims
Ask questions
Don'ts
Depend on Engineer heals
Play a commando if your not gonna taunt
Map hopper(players leave maps when they are about to die)
Guild hop
Beg in general chat
Spam friend requests

Raulur
09-06-2011, 12:56 AM
These should go without saying, but it appears that some need reminders:

DO NOT boot someone at the boss, unless the person is doing something that is continually causing problems. Try to suggest a better way in that case, boot should be a last resort at a boss. If your pal/roomate/guildie wants in, they can wait for the next run. The people that helped you get there deserve a chance at loot. Don't be rude.

DO make passworded games if you want Guild/friend only games. That way you don't have to boot randoms that join, and they are not upset that you could not password the game.

I'm new to this, so I don't make any claims to greatness. However, that being said, is it too much to ask for people to NOT shoot exploding barrels when their teammates are next to them? It's one thing if you're in a firefight and things are getting crazy, but when we're just walking from point A to point B it's pretty annoying to lose a chunk of my life bar due to trigger happy teammates..

I'll admit I'm guilty of that, but I'm also the one that dishes out the heal. :p

Uzikrabd
09-06-2011, 01:06 AM
These should go without saying, but it appears that some need reminders:

DO NOT boot someone at the boss, unless the person is doing something that is continually causing problems. Try to suggest a better way in that case, boot should be a last resort at a boss. If your pal/roomate/guildie wants in, they can wait for the next run. The people that helped you get there deserve a chance at loot. Don't be rude.

DO make passworded games if you want Guild/friend only games. That way you don't have to boot randoms that join, and they are not upset that you could not password the game.

Ikr i got booted at guardian and reason was sry need engineer,like ok im op and lowest lvl,i understand but really at the guardian dude

groundhawg
09-09-2011, 03:12 PM

I'll admit I'm guilty of that, but I'm also the one that dishes out the heal. :p

If you got heals, no harm no foul :) After a bit more playing I've chalked it up to people digging the pew pew sounds and when there's a lack of a live target your auto target defaults to an exploding barrel or other targetable feature if one is in range. Can't say I blame 'em, everybody loves a little pew pew. That's why we're playing a sci-fi mmo right?

Faile
09-13-2011, 01:14 AM
*yawn*

Fac3bon3s
09-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I think another thing you should note, to do with the auction house. Everyone needs an equal chance to sell items if they need money. Don't undercut some one on the auction of a same item just so you can sell yours faster.( I tend not to buy from some one who listed theirs at miniscule amounts lower than the person above.) It works like any other market. Things should be priced accordingly.
And on the other side of the spectrum, please don't list items for astronomical amounts because you don't see one on the auction house. Chances are some on just bought that item.

I suppose vanity items are an exception seeing as how they are extremely rare. But crafting items and low level items should be priced according to how many are on auction and what price others have it listed at.

We all want to make some extra cash. This can be done in fair manner.

CanonicalKoi
09-14-2011, 07:37 PM
One to add to your looting section. I've seen a fair amount in PL, but it happens tons in SL. If you arrive to find a run already in progress, do try to join them as quickly as possible. Don't stop if you're a Commando/Engineer/Op that can open a particular door--wait until afterwards. It's really frustrating to be in a group of, say, an Op and 2 Engineers, you're up to your eyeballs in enemies and the Commando (for example) that just arrived and is 30 feet away stops to open a bonus room and the chests while the group wipes.

And if you're on or trying for a spot on the "kills" leaderboard, please make your own game. Don't join a group in a marginal area where you can still get XP/kills, enhanced to the max and run past everyone else hogging the kills. There will be some people learning their characters in there and by not letting them play as part of a group, you're doing them a real disservice. Either solo or find someone who wants to be power-leveled if you want company.

Eyesharp
09-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Truly amazing!Keep it up!

blurryeyes
11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
very good and useful!