PDA

View Full Version : Str needs to be more potent. Str/dex comparison on what it does for a bear.

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 01:40 AM
I was bored and needed a break so I thought I'd just put this short thing together.

I used my bear to show how little str does for us other than put on our gear.

Let this short spreadsheet caption explain:

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/StrDexComparison.png

The Base Build is from the minimum stats needed for a Fortified Set. 117 Base Str + 56 Str from Fortified Set = 173, the rest of the points I put into dex.

Although the reduction/addition of Dex has 55 points more, so exactly 50% more than str, the reduction/gain from Dex versus Str alone is enough to prove my point.

Pure Str is out of the question. That build will never work with any of the 55 sewer sets, so in fairness, this Base Build is my equivalent to a "pure" build.

Str is supposedly a tanking/defensive stat while Dex is supposedly an offensive/DPS stat. However, look at the comparison.

The loss of Dex, therefore the loss in stats, has an almost equal loss to the loss of Str points when it comes to tanking stats, but tremendous difference when it comes to offensive stats.

The gain of 110 Str over the gain in 165 Dex (again, this is my version of a "pure bear"), only gives 1 Armour, 1 Dodge, 54 Health and 1 HS more. Versus the gain of 165 Dex over 110 Str gives 27% Hit, 2 Crit and 20 Base Damage more.

1 Armour, 1 Dodge, 54 Health, and 1 HS is not even close to comparable to 27% Hit, 2 Crit, and 20 Base Damage.

1 Armour, 1 Dodge, 54 Health, and 1 HS will give you what, one more second of survival in battle?

While 27% Hit, 2 Crit, and 20 Base Damage can win you battles easy.

Again, this is from a bear's point of view, not birds/mages. AFAIK, Dex even adds more skill damage than str does for bears. That doesn't help this argument at all.

Also, I know my basis of numbers for comparison is weak, didn't have the time to fully use equations or such to compare, but I'm pretty sure the point is there.

superglut2
08-16-2011, 02:23 AM
thats why i dont like STR bears, they are horrible, only thing they are good in is for tanking

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 02:27 AM
thats why i dont like STR bears, they are horrible, only thing they are good in is for tanking

Not even for tanking :p

Tanking, IMO, in this game doesn't mean just taking damage, but keeping your group alive. You can tank, but if your group dies anyway, it'll be useless.

That said, tanking needs Hit %. To land debuffs, to land Taunts/Beckon, to land your Slashes/Stomps to stun lock.

Str bears are really only best to be meat shields, which any class can do really.

Pure str bears btw, Str/dex hybrid bears can perform ;)

JaytB
08-16-2011, 04:48 AM
I have to agree with you here Elly. I never understood why a bear is pretty worthless as a pure (str) build. Mages and birds can be pure, and be very good at the same time, but not so for bears. I tried pure dex on a bear a while back and noticed my skill dmg is almost the same as for a dual spec str/dex bear, and my armor/health.. was only a tiny bit worse. Other classes experience a bigger impact on skill dmg, when decreasing the class specific stat (int/dex).

But yeah, most importantly IMO is no dex=no hit%. Not much use to be a 'tank' who's only real skill is his own survivability. If your taunts, beckons, hellscreams.. keep missing the enemies, you won't be much help in a party IMO. I'd say, make str increase our hit%, armor, h/s, health pool.. more than it currently does, especially as opposed to dex. I'm not sure how that would imbalance things though.

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 04:54 AM
To be honest, I don't really mind if we have to be str/dex, but just make it more worthwhile. Str adds so little damage, that I don't get it! Wouldn't strength mean you swing stronger? It directly relates to having more melee damage because we have more 'muscles' maybe? Lol.

I wouldn't mind having these stats, but having str actually do more than just fulfill gear requirement. Lol :(

JaytB
08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
It's like those body-builders, more strength will only make them bigger and slower :p

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 05:07 AM
It's like those body-builders, more strength will only make them bigger and slower :p

Exactly! Big, bulky, and slow. But if you get hit, oh boy.

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 05:32 AM
Lol, what's even worse for our Hit % is this :

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/17779b0c.jpg

-30 from Blinding Shot, -50 from x2 Blinding procs from a Recurve bow.

GG hitting anything with 13%.

JaytB
08-16-2011, 06:19 AM
Lol, what's even worse for our Hit % is this :

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/17779b0c.jpg

-30 from Blinding Shot, -50 from x2 Blinding procs from a Recurve bow.

GG hitting anything with 13%.

That's.. Just.. SAD :(

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Dear Elly,

You are on a mission, AND I LIKE IT!

Sincerely,

Crim

Piosidon
08-16-2011, 09:27 AM
STS could add a hit % set bonus

Ellyidol
08-16-2011, 09:57 AM
STS could add a hit % set bonus

Yeah that'd be nice.

I've said it before, but I'm still hoping for it.

I hope in the next update that two sets will emerge, one from each campaign. One defensive set and one offensive set :)