PDA

View Full Version : Think you can beat it? A Contest for Experts.

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 11:40 AM
So you think you can beat it?
This will be an extreme contest, mainly for lv55/56s.
This will be based on your power and teamwork.
There will be a final huge prize to each member of the winning team.
We will have rounds of practice.
This is the contest:
I will pick a dungeon and have you(a team of four) run the dungeon.
I will stay at the entrance and start time when everyone has agreed to say go.
Time ends when the boss is dead.
The party members must all be 55/56.
You get to pick which members are on your team.
You are allowed to run as many times as you want in the given dungeon, but I must be there to record it. You may not substitute any members.
Anything in the dungeon can be used, orbs, etc.
NO ELIXIRS of any kind allowed!
I must be the host of the party, and the I will create the dungeon.
I will have you run maps with your team of four and see which team wins.
Every time your team gets the fastest time, you earn a point.
At the end, the team with the most points will be awarded a prize to each member.
To sign up, please select a team captain and form a team of FOUR.
I must be in the dungeon to time it.
This will be an on-going competition running almost every map.
Remember every second counts, so no talking, no dying, etc.
There is no entrance fee.

Signed Up:

Prizes:
Grand Prize: TBA
First Prize/Honorable Mentions: TBA

SUPAPRODIGY
08-16-2011, 11:47 AM
Is there an entrance fee?

Redbridge
08-16-2011, 11:55 AM
WOW - What a cracking idea.....

why has this never ben done before?

You gonna post levels and fastest times in OP?

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
When do you need to know by and how many members can the team have?

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm still figuring out a way to record my iPod during the run.
Yeah, I'll post the names, levels, and results in the OP.

adidaman
08-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Id like to sign my 55 bird up (iamdaman) let me know when this is gonna start

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I guess I wasn't clear.
@SUPA: There is no entry fee.
@Crimson: You MUST have 4 Members. The fifth one will be me, who will stand and do nothin but time the run.
I need to know by the end of the month.
This contest will go up till mid-October. I'll modify once we have new release.
And I'm thinking one of the new sets as some First Place prizes. The Granz Prize WILL BE VERY big.

drewcapu
08-16-2011, 12:01 PM
WOW - What a cracking idea.....

why has this never ben done before?

You gonna post levels and fastest times in OP?

It's been suggested before to have maps optionally time a run (I think it would be best for the clock to start on first attack), which can be used for guild competitions, events, etc.

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Tonigt if I can do so, I'll show you a speed run with a friend Pinkftw.
To be able to do successful speed runs, you NEED to have trust in your partner/s and be fast and also have good knowledge of your class. I will be using basic Enchantress Mob clearing combos and you will see how fast it goes.
YOU, will be doing a team of four, and must do it FAST.
If you want an example of what a speed run with a full party looks like, check out Psychologic's Death Train Method for Sewers.
Again, I'll post a video of Pinkftw and me dual running Sandstone Caves under 3 minutes easily.

SUPAPRODIGY
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
This will be done in sewers right

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Not only in Sewers, but it will DEFINETLY include sewers.

NoobianOfAlterra
08-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm definitely in! Now to form a team... :snowman:

Pinkftw
08-16-2011, 12:21 PM
When do you want me on to do this

Pockettankk
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
whats the date?

dethmetaler
08-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Great idea, I might have to round up a crew...

dethmetaler
08-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Does the entire map need to be cleared of all enemies or just boss kill?

Ixillicus
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
You said kill the boss... does that mean we dont have to clear the map?

Pockettankk
08-16-2011, 03:35 PM
I guess I wasn't clear.
@SUPA: There is no entry fee.
@Crimson: You MUST have 4 Members. The fifth one will be me, who will stand and do nothin but time the run.
I need to know by the end of the month.
This contest will go up till mid-October. I'll modify once we have new release.
And I'm thinking one of the new sets as some First Place prizes. The Granz Prize WILL BE VERY big.

if your the fourth member them 1 team will have 1 more person so each team should be 4 people. secondly im in individule im and archer free memeber ba at pvp (free agent)

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Whirlz,

I understand the 4 member concept, but you mentioned swapping team members. Will we be allowed subs or is our team of 4 to stay the same every run? Also, will there be prizes for sefond and third or only for first place?

TANKKAAR
08-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Crim... Ill joing team COT w/ Kaarrcher :-)

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Crim... Ill joing team COT w/ Kaarrcher :-)

I hope we have multiple teams! I'm starting a signup now!

JaytB
08-16-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm absolutely, most definitely in! :D

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm absolutely, most definitely in! :D

Sweet!

Survivorfan
08-16-2011, 09:22 PM
If anyone needs a player, I'm in

Whirlzap
08-16-2011, 10:29 PM
@Crim: The team members you use are the ones you signed up with. No subs.
Sorry, First and Grand prizes only.

Also, for certain maps that require a certain nunber of stuff to be killed for a boss to spawn, those will be kill the boss.
For others, it will be to clear the whole dungeon.

CrimsonTider
08-16-2011, 10:51 PM
Good stuff. Teams are being formed and practicing begins soon. Keep us posted!

JaytB
08-17-2011, 05:09 AM
2 questions:

1. Is it allowed to switch characters depending on the map? Or is it just 1 char for each player that has to be used for the entire tournament? I know you said 'no subs', but does this mean 1 player who has multiple chars isn't allow to switch his/her char depending on the situation?

2. Are there going to be rules about plat revives? Personally, I think a clear rule should be 'No plat revives'. If you're allowing plat revives, it's just going to be birds with the most plat who'll win this tournament IMO

These are the only 2 questions I have at the moment. Really looking forward to the tournament :D

Fatpigwarrior
08-17-2011, 05:29 AM
Will be joining with guild now :)

NoobianOfAlterra
08-17-2011, 08:01 PM
So it will be me (Newbieeeee), Buddyf, Anedefen and Healou (dunno forum name).
There might be changes and we have back up players just in case :)

Still coming up with a team name ;) :cool:

Buddyf97
08-17-2011, 08:11 PM
So it will be me (Newbieeeee), Buddyf, Anefaden (dunno forum name) and Healou (dunno forum name either lol).
There might be changes and we have back up players just in case :)

Still coming up with a team name ;) :cool:

WOOT! Let's do this! Super tanking makes a super group!

Blind
08-18-2011, 03:51 AM
Will shadow caves be on the list of maps?

Fatpigwarrior
08-18-2011, 04:55 AM
This contest will be great!

MAGICAL POCKET LEGEND
08-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I'm in but im forming a team I'm needing 1 more person.

Ixillicus
08-18-2011, 07:18 AM
2 questions:

1. Is it allowed to switch characters depending on the map? Or is it just 1 char for each player that has to be used for the entire tournament? I know you said 'no subs', but does this mean 1 player who has multiple chars isn't allow to switch his/her char depending on the situation?

2. Are there going to be rules about plat revives? Personally, I think a clear rule should be 'No plat revives'. If you're allowing plat revives, it's just going to be birds with the most plat who'll win this tournament IMO

These are the only 2 questions I have at the moment. Really looking forward to the tournament :D

This is a good point. Maybe as a something to make it more "pro", every time someone dies there is a 5 second (example number) penalty added to the final time for that run. That way teams who stay alive the entire time, are rewarded for their skill.

PS: COT guys, got 4? If not, I'd be happy to be on your team Tank/Crim/Jay

Jsaieagle
08-18-2011, 07:28 AM
wow, sounds interesting!

JaytB
08-18-2011, 07:44 AM
This is a good point. Maybe as a something to make it more "pro", every time someone dies there is a 5 second (example number) penalty added to the final time for that run. That way teams who stay alive the entire time, are rewarded for their skill.

PS: COT guys, got 4? If not, I'd be happy to be on your team Tank/Crim/Jay

I don't know if that's such a good idea, the 5 seconds I mean. Even the best players die sometimes. It might create frustration in the group when someone dies 2 or 3 times. That guy/girl will be blamed by the others IMO, while he/she maybe was just extremely unlucky. I don't know, it's just my thought about it :)

As for the spot in the COT team, our members are quite active, so I think we even have to make multiple groups again. We'll need some time to spread the word to our members first though (not every member uses our forum yet.. And we're so waiting for guild chat LOL). Once our teams are determined, I can let you know if there's a spot :)

Silentarrow
08-18-2011, 08:01 AM
I'll join, pm me if you need me on your team.

CanonicalKoi
08-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Hey, Deth! If you decide to do this and need a body, give a shout. Just let me know if you want birdy-bird or mage. :-)

Whirlzap
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Sorry, been busy.
Here is some additions to rules:
TEAM LEADERS:
PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME THE TEAM NAME AND MEMBERS WHEN YOU HAVE DECIDED AND ARE READY TO SIGN UP!
The first map will be announced this weekend.

@JaytB:
When you sign up you include In Game Names, not Forum Names.
It's not possible to have two characters named Ikungfupanda at the same time, so no.
"The members you signed up will be the ones you are only allowed to use".
I hope this answer clears up confusion.

Thanks about Platinum Revives, totally forgot.
I will NOT allow Platinum Revives, clearing is based on the team's power, agility, and cooperation as well as staying alive and being motivated.

Right now, I need to find a software/app to record my iPod screen clearly. Any ideas?
Otherwise, I'll have to time with a stopwatch and just post times, which is BORINGGGGGGGGGGG

Also before you register your team think a couple of times, I might put Shadow Cave 5 on the list.
Not saying I will but.......>.<

CrimsonTider
08-18-2011, 08:24 PM
Ok... we are still unclear on the "names"...

I will definitely have a team. My Forum name is CrimsonTider (which is also my bear's name) but I have 4 toons I can choose from. Are you saying that if I start the tourney as my dex bird, I cannot switch to my bear if we have to run shadow caves?

Whirlzap
08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Yes, I am saying you cannot switch between your own characters.
Pick one and stay with it, like I said before, this contest is for farming encouragement and that means relying on others to blast a shadow in caves, or to pull or drag.

XghostzX
08-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Wow, i'd have to say this is by far the most interesting tournament i have come across. I'll be getting a team >: D. Quick question, is potting aloud?

JaytB
08-18-2011, 11:07 PM
Sorry, been busy.
Here is some additions to rules:
TEAM LEADERS:
PLEASE PRIVATE MESSAGE ME THE TEAM NAME AND MEMBERS WHEN YOU HAVE DECIDED AND ARE READY TO SIGN UP!
The first map will be announced this weekend.

@JaytB:
When you sign up you include In Game Names, not Forum Names.
It's not possible to have two characters named Ikungfupanda at the same time, so no.
"The members you signed up will be the ones you are only allowed to use".
I hope this answer clears up confusion.

Thanks about Platinum Revives, totally forgot.
I will NOT allow Platinum Revives, clearing is based on the team's power, agility, and cooperation as well as staying alive and being motivated.

Right now, I need to find a software/app to record my iPod screen clearly. Any ideas?
Otherwise, I'll have to time with a stopwatch and just post times, which is BORINGGGGGGGGGGG

Also before you register your team think a couple of times, I might put Shadow Cave 5 on the list.
Not saying I will but.......>.<

Cool! Got it :D

As for the recording. I tried the jailbreak tool 'screenrecorder', but that didn't seem to work with the latest firmware. Maybe it works now though. Otherwise use a coke can as a tripod for another camera, like physio does lol :D

MAGICAL POCKET LEGEND
08-19-2011, 05:11 AM
our team is team fantastic 4 :) members:amyxrose,xranmourix(me),paaahud and dolloway add me whirlzip!

NECROREAPER
08-19-2011, 06:25 AM
omg... fantastic four up there ^^^^

-___-

Whirlzap
08-19-2011, 07:55 AM
@Cosmic: read the rules, no elixirs.
@magic: read my lastest post, pm me the group.

xxpanzeexx
08-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Hey count me in my ign is xxpanzeexx

Whirlzap
08-20-2011, 12:03 AM
Alright, the first map we will be running in has been sent to the team leaders of those who have signed up their team!
To be able to receive this map name and start practing, get those teams in to me via Private Message on forums ASAP!

Blind
08-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Posting to keep the thread alive, it's gone to second page now.

Redbridge
08-21-2011, 03:05 AM
As for the recording. I tried the jailbreak tool 'screenrecorder', but that didn't seem to work with the latest firmware. Maybe it works now though. Otherwise use a coke can as a tripod for another camera, like physio does lol :D

[Cheapest:Most Effective] solution I have found so far is £39 apple HDMI adaptor & a longish HDMI lead from iPad2 (doesn't work with iPad1), into large screen/TV, and then recording that larger display with a fixed camera,iPhone, etc. testing it now.

Cytokinesis
08-21-2011, 12:19 PM
Anefeden (dunno forum name):
This is my forum name lol i just made it :stupid:

CrimsonTider
08-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Alright, the first map we will be running in has been sent to the team leaders of those who have signed up their team!
To be able to receive this map name and start practing, get those teams in to me via Private Message on forums ASAP!

Wait... what?? An approximate timeframe needs to be announced. Some of us are forming teams based on playstyle, timezones, etc. When are you looking to start this tourney?

Thx

lilgangster
08-21-2011, 01:06 PM
crap! im lvl 51 lol

Cytokinesis
08-21-2011, 01:17 PM
crap! im lvl 51 lol
Well hurry up and lvl! :indecisiveness:

Swimmingstar
08-21-2011, 06:13 PM
So I have my team how do i sign up? what's op? and when can i do the runs?

Swimmingstar
08-21-2011, 06:16 PM
I made a thread for my members

Swimmingstar
08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
team is me (swimmingstar), asaciuacor, xxpanzexx, and mageprodigy

Whirlzap
08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
@Red: I'll just go ask the person who recorded the Sewer Runs after GCD how he did his>.>
@Crim: Looking to get the teams in by the end of this month!
@Swim: Read the rules! You need to send me your team via PM.
For anyone else who hasn't sent me a PM of their team, do so by the end of this month or you will not count!!!
As a reminder, Jay asked me if orbs were allowed. Any orbs you find that spawn in the given dungeon are allowed to he used!

Also, when you send me a PM of your team, you will be given a sneak peek at the first area you'll be running in!
This is a motive for getting your teams in so hurry up!

Swimmingstar
08-21-2011, 06:30 PM
what is op?

CrimsonTider
08-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Thanks Whirlz! Jay and I will get back to you asap with teams.

Whirlzap
08-21-2011, 08:15 PM
@Swim: if you mean OP, that stands for original post, or the first post in the thread.
@Crim: I am hoping that ASAP means under a month?;)

CrimsonTider
08-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Lets just say we are already practicing. We are working out timezone issues so that pur teams are organized by time. Where do you live and when will you be recording?

NoobianOfAlterra
08-31-2011, 08:08 AM
Ugh is this competition dead? Our team is ready anytime :) (not anytime ;))

MAGICAL POCKET LEGEND
09-07-2011, 03:32 AM
ya lol!

Fatpigwarrior
09-07-2011, 04:20 AM
3 weeks the contest should start so everyone can get to 60/61 :)