PDA

View Full Version : Please dont let officers delete everyone

csb
08-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Our guild was deleted completely over night. Only the leader and half a dozen officers were left when I logged in. (note: i was an officer).

The leader got discouraged and deleted the guild. I guess whoever deleted all the members may now celebrate his successful guild destruction.

To prevent so much work from going down the drain so quickly, isn't there some sort of mechanism that can prevent this? Maybe deleting someone just sends a message to the leader, and the leader must complete the deletion. Isn't there something that can be done?

SUPAPRODIGY
08-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Intersting let see what i can come up with maybe notification telling you who quit and a reason before they leave

Cascade
08-17-2011, 08:12 PM
Simple solution: Dont let just anyone be an officer make sure you can trust them and then this wont happen

bronislav84
08-17-2011, 08:32 PM
This can't really be fixed without upsetting responsible people. Unless you want guild kick to be exclusive to the guild master, there's no fair solution. Just report if you know who it was, or email support to investigate who done it. I heard they're perma-banning for ruining a guild. Don't remember where I saw the post.

Just be careful who you make an officer and this can be avoided.

Doubletime
08-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Justg said in an earlier thread that they are perma-banning for this as it is classified as griefing under the TOS. If you know who did it or see it happening email support(at)spacetimestudios.com.

Ellyidol
08-17-2011, 08:51 PM
Justg said in an earlier thread that they are perma-banning for this as it is classified as griefing under the TOS. If you know who did it or see it happening email support(at)spacetimestudios.com.

+1 here.

He called it 'griefing' and they perma-ban for this. I believe they may have logs on guild actions as well (hopefully). So a report to support should at least punish him.

SUPAPRODIGY
08-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Indeed punishement is BANNED...

csb
08-18-2011, 01:16 AM
Simple solution: Dont let just anyone be an officer make sure you can trust them and then this wont happen

I was just thinking that even if someone you know and trust in RL is an officer, there is still no guarantee that the guild roster is safe. For example, people fall in love, get married, and then divorced... what happened there? I suppose that someone we know and trust can get pissed for some reason, and deletes all the members. Or, maybe an officer gets a little too drunk, and deletes all the members. It's so easy to delete a guild.

Kakatoa91
08-18-2011, 01:35 AM
Its sad.
Dont understand how they have fun doing this.

Its true the 1st protection is at the officer nomination. But trust is so easily given and simply hard to detect a 'serial deleter' next to you in your guild until he takes action at the last moment.
Hope theyll find something to add some protection.

Permabanning is a good thing. Device/mail lock for all StS games.

skavenger216
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
I think officers should only be allowed to kick a certain amount of ppl in a 24 hour window. Hard to destroy a guild if they can only kick 3 members a day.

Redbridge
08-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Sounds awful. Good luck getting it sorted...

I know there's an argument that there needs to be a mechanism for officers to delete members swiftly if there are 'issues' with a disruptive member but could there be a way to make it so that 2 officers have to confirm.

So maybe the first flags for deletion and the second confirms deletion?

Not fully involved in the formal guilds side of STS game yet so apols if this is a random useless idea.

Flowman
08-18-2011, 04:19 AM
IGNORE THIS....somehow posted twice...once with only half the info. LOOK DOWN

xXDamonDXx
08-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Make a 3rd rank in guilds that only allow that group of players to invite people but not kick them. So then you can save officer for truely trusted or alts.

Redbridge
08-18-2011, 04:47 AM
Make a 3rd rank in guilds that only allow that group of players to invite people but not kick them. So then you can save officer for truely trusted or alts.

+1 - It would appear there is currently no half way house. Its all or nothing. So new guilds are left with no option but to allow 'full' access. I like this 'junior officer' idea... I still like the safety net of my idea above though...

I've been part of many groups in RL, and if we want to 'eject' any member, its never the decision of just one person.

[just unsure if this would translate well into SL, awtg iOS release. lol]

Kakatoa91
08-18-2011, 04:51 AM
I dont c the fuzz of being absolutely an officer btw.

But yea seems like theres some trend in those bad behaviour. Maybe same people over and over doing that.

An other rank officer as suggest that can only invite is a nice idea.

Also, maybe make officer 5 lvls close to leader only. That would be good for later at high lvl.
For the moment, it only take little time to lvl to 20+

CrimsonTider
08-18-2011, 06:42 AM
Been mentioned before and I will mention it again: When random people come together to form a guild where thesevin-game options exsist, this will continue to happen. Obviously, if someone enters a guild with the desire to be instantly promoted, red flags ought to go up. A few weeks is not enough time to get to really know someone.

My advice is to only promote those you know are trustworthyand if others dont want to be in your guild unless they are an officer then let them leave.

Hope you can get down to the bottom of the problem and I am sure STS will help ya out!

JaytB
08-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Been mentioned before and I will mention it again: When random people come together to form a guild where thesevin-game options exsist, this will continue to happen. Obviously, if someone enters a guild with the desire to be instantly promoted, red flags ought to go up. A few weeks is not enough time to get to really know someone.

My advice is to only promote those you know are trustworthyand if others dont want to be in your guild unless they are an officer then let them leave.

Hope you can get down to the bottom of the problem and I am sure STS will help ya out!

^^ This

Basically, select your officers more careful :)

Riccits
08-18-2011, 07:13 AM
aside question: what happens in that case with the guild stash/bank?

bronislav84
08-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Given that guild stash doesn't formally exist, nothing.

Flowman
08-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Only downside to this is that there's a guild of people who purposely go into other guilds acting all buddy-buddy with the leaders and stuff to get officer rank...and then they delete their members. We had one in our guild, and I'm sure you guys have one too.

The idea of flagging for deletion and having to get a second approval is a great idea. In my fraternity, when we are electing the new executive board, we go through a formal election process...even though we're far from 'formal' and are the stereotype of a fraternity. Everything we do requires a "second" opinion to do it. Such as opening nominations, if someone wants to start, it's "motion to open nominations." After someone says "second" nominations are then open. The same idea should apply in game as this is a system of elections and power holding.

Ellyidol
08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
aside question: what happens in that case with the guild stash/bank?

Given that guild stash doesn't formally exist, nothing.

If they do implement it, judging from the past games I've been in, guild stash access should also require another title.

Compounding titles or permissions maybe?

Invite, Boot, Stash, + whatever features they may add in the future.

KhaosAngel
08-18-2011, 08:38 AM
This will help- The guild leaders should be writing all names down in their guild. That way you have a backup list yeah? To me a leader should know his/her guild inside out

drewcapu
08-18-2011, 09:26 AM
I haven't bothered with guilds, but, if you're a Guild Master:

DO friend everyone in your guild
DO make an offline list of everyone in your guild
DO make rules for your guild members, especially your officers
DO warn anybody who you make an officer that they risk being perma-banned for doing mass kicks of players from the guild

If your guild ends up getting torpedoed, you'll then have a fairly easy time repairing the damage.

Doubletime
08-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I haven't bothered with guilds, but, if you're a Guild Master:

DO friend everyone in your guild
DO make an offline list of everyone in your guild
DO make rules for your guild members, especially your officers
DO warn anybody who you make an officer that they risk being perma-banned for doing mass kicks of players from the guild

If your guild ends up getting torpedoed, you'll then have a fairly easy time repairing the damage.

Exactly as drew suggests -- GMs need to know that having a guild isn't just paying some credits for a charter and then rolling along. There isn't likely a way to easily program out every possible way someone can can use to try and ruin your guild if that is their intention. However, with a few simple safeguards like drew suggests any GM can quickly repair the damage done by some officer going on a boot spree.

Kraze
08-18-2011, 11:01 AM

^ this. As an outsider looking ATM just seems like guilds are for the most part looking for quanity not quality.

StompArtist
08-18-2011, 11:05 AM
These actions will be perma-banned according to JustG. I am also pretty sure support could help your leader in the restoration of the guild. Also I would suggest having a 2 officers must agree to boot someone rule on kicking folks out of the guild as a preventive measure to such occurrence.

StompArtist
08-18-2011, 11:06 AM
^ this. As an outsider looking ATM just seems like guilds are for the most part looking for quanity not quality.

Guilds are an ever ending source of drama. lol

Kraze
08-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Guilds are an ever ending source of drama. lol
It's pretty lol all the drama over stiff that could be easily avoided with just a touch of common sense

Flowman
08-18-2011, 11:54 AM
Exactly as drew suggests -- GMs need to know that having a guild isn't just paying some credits for a charter and then rolling along. There isn't likely a way to easily program out every possible way someone can can use to try and ruin your guild if that is their intention. However, with a few simple safeguards like drew suggests any GM can quickly repair the damage done by some officer going on a boot spree.
I highly doubt guilds with 500+ people are going to want to write down everyones name...and especially not invite them all over again.

drewcapu
08-18-2011, 02:36 PM
I highly doubt guilds with 500+ people are going to want to write down everyones name...and especially not invite them all over again.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

500+ member guilds are typically the guilds that care more about quantity than quality anyways. A good percentage of their members will be players who don't play much, or at all, after the initial join.

GMs that have any interest in their guild roster will have every member on their friend list. If not, it's their own fault if "something goes wrong."

In my opinion, STS Support can't even be expected to "restore" a guild which has been griefed. If I was a player who was kicked off of a guild while offline by a griefer for no reason, am I going to know it wasn't supposed to happen? If I wasn't even on the GM's friend list and s/he doesn't have a way to message me when I log in the next time, there's a good chance I'd try to get into another guild as soon as I got on.

If you are a GM and have everyone in your friend list, rebuilding is as easy as

setting up one or two quick chats that explains what happened
join a player on friend list who was erroneously kicked (easiest if in a Base)
do your quick chats
invite
repeat

Conradin
08-18-2011, 02:39 PM
IMO a guild with 500 people wont get anything done- seems more like a mob, lol

Uzikrabd
08-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Why cant it let you make ranks to appoint when you make guild and acces like partial half full and like military ranks pvt pvtfc cpl stuff like that considering its easier on the rankers and im usually one in my friends guilds

thequickone
08-19-2011, 06:22 PM
As an Officer of a smallish guild that's been around since the V-Cast beta, it concerns me greatly that even occasional guild wipes are being conducted by naughty / vengeful Officers. Scorn one of my guild's Officers, and about 18 or so kicks later, there goes our great little guild! Here are my suggested solutions:

1. Keep things as they are and be very selective and careful who is promoted to Officer.

2. Make guild recruiting and kicking a two-step approval. Officers would be able to recommend invites and kicks, but only the Guild Master (GM) could approve. In my opinion, this should already be required. If it were, we would not be having this conversation.

3. Keep thing as they are now, except only allow the Officers one kick for a set amount of time, say one every 30 minutes. That way, an Officer that wants to clean house would have to invest some serious time to do so!

Note that the limitations in examples 2 and 3 would not apply to the GM. As the guild belongs to the Master, it should be the GM's prerogative regarding what they do with their guild!

n00b13st
08-19-2011, 06:41 PM
I'd suggest (haven't completed thread yet so please forgive if I'm not the first) a "recover" function like we have for inventory, restricted to guild owner - or to a new senior officer tier. Select deleted members on a guild screen (ideally where you can see date, time, "deleted by" and perhaps with an extra click the reason for the kick) and either auto-readd them (assuming they haven't joined another guild, in which case it could become just an invite) or if not an auto-readd then a guild invite from the deleted members screen, perhaps with a note attached optionally so you can explain what happened. If you could draft a note of explanation, select all the members who got mass-deleted and readd or reinvite them you could somewhat gracefully recover from such an incident.

(Note this incorporates another idea I plan to suggest, tiers of officers.)

An officer in my guild also suggested restricting officers (or lower officers if you use the tiered officer idea) to a "guild lockout/penalty box" function. The locked member gets no access to any guild functions, perhaps for a time period like 24 hours or until another (possibly higher) officer restores them. Again, logging who locked them and why would be vital.

Arterra
08-19-2011, 07:28 PM
The fact that you promote them means they must have some trust, so let them be able to add/kick. If GM Is afk, they keep it going.
However time limit would work nicely to avoid such abuse.

Thade
08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Expect to see additional guild features in the future. Such as guild ranks which have only invite privileges.

That said. Officers are your guild's managers. You don't give a guy a key to your shop if you don't trust them.

Chose wisely.

Kakatoa91
08-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Expect to see additional guild features in the future. Such as guild ranks which have only invite privileges.

That said. Officers are your guild's managers. You don't give a guy a key to your shop if you don't trust them.

Chose wisely.

Eh nice.
This is good.

Actually, it was a good idea to implement guild in SL first.
PL guild will gain from those experiences later.

Dosumn1978
08-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Only downside to this is that there's a guild of people who purposely go into other guilds acting all buddy-buddy with the leaders and stuff to get officer rank...and then they delete their members. We had one in our guild, and I'm sure you guys have one too.

The idea of flagging for deletion and having to get a second approval is a great idea. In my fraternity, when we are electing the new executive board, we go through a formal election process...even though we're far from 'formal' and are the stereotype of a fraternity. Everything we do requires a "second" opinion to do it. Such as opening nominations, if someone wants to start, it's "motion to open nominations." After someone says "second" nominations are then open. The same idea should apply in game as this is a system of elections and power holding.
Be awesome if we could haze new guild pledges...lolz!

Cahaun
08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
It saddens me to hear a guild get disbanded because of a corrupted officer.