PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion for guild logs of who joined, who left, who got kicked, and when

WhoIsThis
08-18-2011, 06:14 PM
I think that guilds need a log of who has joined, who left, who got deleted and when. These logs should be made viewable by the guild master and the officers as well.

The reason why I think that we need guild logs is because of the recent wave of officers who have begun "mass kicking" (or as it has been called "griefing") people from guilds. A log will allow the guild members and officers to contact people who did get deleted in the event that somebody does kick every non-officer from a guild. If there is a "mass kicker" that kicks when most people are not on, it will also make it possible to see who did it. On that note, I strongly recommend that all guilds exercise caution on who they make officers.

Finally, the last reason why a guild log is needed is to identify trends. If there is a guild poaching members in large numbers, it will be easier to identify who is leaving and why (there is at least one guild that is aggressively poaching on level 25-26s).

I don't think there are any privacy issues at stake here. After all, what guild you belong to is publicly visible underneath your name anyways.

Kraze
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
The guilds share some responsibility for being griefed. If your going to make someone an officer and give them the ability to add remove this is a risk you take. Additionally if you have guild members jumping ship how is a log going to change anything? Are you suggesting that poaching be a tos issue? Also those "poached" members are not property of the guild so should be allowed to move freely as they see fit. Finally if they (poachees?!?) will jump ship that easily are they the kind of members you want?

Ebalere
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
I like this idea, just for the simple fact of keeping track. If someone gets booted while im offline, and then when im online and the booter isnt, i want to know. +1.

WhoIsThis
08-18-2011, 07:05 PM
The guilds share some responsibility for being griefed. If your going to make someone an officer and give them the ability to add remove this is a risk you take. Additionally if you have guild members jumping ship how is a log going to change anything? Are you suggesting that poaching be a tos issue? Also those "poached" members are not property of the guild so should be allowed to move freely as they see fit. Finally if they (poachees?!?) will jump ship that easily are they the kind of members you want?

Please reread my post. Nowhere did I suggest that anything should be done to the TOS, although it is clear the griefing is considered a bannable offense.

Rather, I am advocating for a log for the guild master and officers to keep track of who joins, leaves, gets kicked, and when.

A log will help people analyze trends.

Kraze
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
Reread as requested question remains in regards to poaching what would this accomplish to have detailed reports and know members a,b,c left and joined guild "dkdjskf" because it's a level cap only guild?

skavenger216
08-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I like this idea also, as ebalere said, if someone boots someone while I'm offline, i want to be able to see who and why. I would like to add that when someone boots someone, they should have to type a reason, which will also show in the log.

WhoIsThis
08-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Reread as requested question remains in regards to poaching what would this accomplish to have detailed reports and know members a,b,c left and joined guild "dkdjskf" because it's a level cap only guild?

I don't know if you are being sarcastic or are deliberately attempting to flame me, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

The primary reason is as a deterrence against griefing and a possible recovery solution in the event that a guild falls victim. A secondary, but less important reason is perhaps a way to analyze trends on which guilds are poaching members from a given guild.

Naturally, even if this is implemented, I still recommend caution about who is promoted to officer in all guilds.

Lowlyspy
08-19-2011, 12:18 AM
I support the idea 100%, a guild log would help in plenty of ways. I wouldnt make it so you can see what guild they joined though just because that would invite some unnecessary flaming :\

Kraze
08-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I support the idea 100%, a guild log would help in plenty of ways. I wouldnt make it so you can see what guild they joined though just because that would invite some unnecessary flaming :\
This is the point I'm making tracking what guilds are poaching will lead to nothing but flames. If a member is no longer in your guild wouldn't you notice? If so wouldn't you be able to simply send a tell to either them or your officers to figure it out?

WhoIsThis
08-19-2011, 05:25 PM
This is the point I'm making tracking what guilds are poaching will lead to nothing but flames. If a member is no longer in your guild wouldn't you notice? If so wouldn't you be able to simply send a tell to either them or your officers to figure it out?

As I mentioned, this is a secondary purpose. The main is to prevent griefing.

I don't think that it will lead to flames. It's not too difficult already to see who leaves. Even if what you say is true, I think the "lesser evil" principal comes into play here. Better to identify which guilds are poaching and perhaps using less than ethical means to do so early on.

Kraze
08-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Check the sparkly thread and note all of the self deleted posts after guilds found out some members switched. Point proven about flames and again what good would the information serve to know who is poaching?