PDA

View Full Version : The distance running thread

Samhayne
08-19-2011, 10:28 AM
We were just chatting about distance running in the Chatbox (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/misc.php?do=cchatbox) and I thought I'd start a thread to see if we have any other distance runner types out there.

I'm currently training for the San Antonio Rock 'n Roll 1/2 Marathon in November. I've done the Marathon thing in the past, but I much prefer the 1/2 distance. It doesn't beat you up so darn much :onthego:

So, who else is a distance runner? What races have you done and which ones did you like the most?

apoceq
08-19-2011, 10:31 AM
How do you run in 115 degree temps?!

Samhayne
08-19-2011, 10:40 AM

With a lot of water :)

ZAurbanSQWRL
08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Every other day i run 3.2 miles for soccer sometimes 4 miles in 98 degree weather, and im 13

CrimsonTider
08-19-2011, 10:48 AM
Been a distance runner since 10 and a cyclist for 7 years now. Hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman triathalon next summer but you guys make PL/SL too addicting!!

Silentarrow
08-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I've been a distance runner for a while! And 3.2 miles every other day... Pshhh easy :D.

ZAurbanSQWRL
08-19-2011, 10:56 AM
I've been a distance runner for a while! And 3.2 miles every other day... Pshhh easy :D.. Not in 98 degree weather so stop haters :) jk jk its not to hard but it gets you in condition :) and thats what i want

BagOfTricks
08-19-2011, 10:57 AM
A few years ago I was the younger finisher of my local half marathon, ran it at a 9:00 minute mile ;)

Samhayne
08-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Been a distance runner since 10 and a cyclist for 7 years now. Hoping to do a 1/2 Ironman triathalon next summer but you guys make PL/SL too addicting!!

Nice Crimson, how's your swimming?

That was the most fun for me doing tri's (only done sprint distance) - the swim. I sucked so much at swimming that as I worked at it I got a lot lot better and that was really rewarding.

Whatyouwill
08-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Started running two years ago with workmates to raise money for Sport Relief. We ran the Reading 1/2 marathon. Then we kinda let it go.

This Sunday my friend & I are starting again. It's gonna be strenuous!

I'll let you guys know how we do.

AOmonsta
08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Well I'll be going to San Antonio in about a week for AF basic training, so I'll have to get used to it haha.

Oh and I'm no runner. This is gonna be bad.

CrimsonTider
08-19-2011, 11:17 AM
@Sam - let's just say swimming is my weakest attribute. Hard to find time being a teacher, having 4 kids, and some minor gaming addictions. :) Cycling and running come easy cause I can just walk out the door and go. Swimming involves getting off my lazy butt and finding a lap pool.

Lowlyspy
08-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Im not much of a runnner but i love my swimming. Been on swim team for my school for three years now and im most definitely a distance swimmer.

Conradin
08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Ive done a couple half marathons- but besides that we run about 7-8 miles in soccer each through conditioning and gametime

straus
08-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi, obviously don't post here much, but I was checking in because of the tee contest and this thread caught my eye.

Majorly addicted to running and probably going overboard at the moment by training for a 12-hour trail ultramarathon (only a few weeks away now). This will be my first race > 50K -- I usually focus on road marathons racing 2-3 a year with a few shorter races sprinkled in for training/fun. Should be interesting (and probably quite painful).

I did try a triathalon once when I was in college and it was pretty disastrous... I am a terrible swimmer :)

Conradin
08-19-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi, obviously don't post here much, but I was checking in because of the tee contest and this thread caught my eye.

Majorly addicted to running and probably going overboard at the moment by training for a 12-hour trail ultramarathon (only a few weeks away now). This will be my first race > 50K -- I usually focus on road marathons racing 2-3 a year with a few shorter races sprinkled in for training/fun. Should be interesting (and probably quite painful).

I did try a triathalon once when I was in college and it was pretty disastrous... I am a terrible swimmer :)

I'm with ya mate- unless you've swam competitively- distance swimming sucks.

Arterra
08-19-2011, 03:37 PM
My calc teacher senior year participated in marathons... The class made her posters and everything heh.
I myself am a great marathon couch potato. I can't imagine doing a full ironman triathlon xD one day I'll get myself in better shape (not bad now, just wishing I had abbs or something)