PDA

View Full Version : Are we spending too many points on Empathy and Transference?

IBNobody
08-20-2011, 01:19 PM
It seems that no matter what I do, my Engineer (with max Empathy and working on Transference) pulls too much aggro.

People have complained that Empathy hate is much greater than the hate that a Commando can generate.

Should we invest fewer concurrent points into Empathy and instead ramp it up gradually? Or is this all the commando's fault for not maxing their taunt skills in proportion?

Reggin
08-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Makes me wonder about the possibility of an engineer aoe dodge tank lol... Would probably never need to worry about losing aggro...

Arterra
08-20-2011, 04:59 PM
If only lol, no hybrids as far as I see.

I would think that engies putting all their points into empathy is Not the problem... After all, that is pretty much our bread and butter, our one huge draw.
If a engie can out Aggro a tank with two skills, then the game is at fault.

Raulur
08-20-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting rid of empathy since most others drop protection.

Just kidding.

Yes, it does seem like I get too much aggro at the boss fights, but that's why I prefer 2 or more engineers. Eventually I'll need a rez if it drags on too long. Plus if you can get the timing down, two engineers can keep a boss stunned most of the fight.

ThisGuy0502
08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Lol noob question... What does aggro mean... It will help me understand more :)

Silentarrow
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Simply it's- How much an enemy wants to hit you :).

Rodvik
08-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Perhaps you're doing something wrong? Casting Emp too early?

I have no problem healing without pulling aggro with maxed Empathy.

There have been numerous occasions where top ranked Empathy has saved my group and was needed to save them from so much damage being put out.

I can't remember the last time I did pull aggro while having a reasonable dps/tank to take the damage.

There's a lot of random AOE dmg that goes out on Guardian it seems like from time to time where like I said top ranked Empathy did its job without getting me killed...lol

So I don't know about spending too many points.

I've also had several occasions where Transference or Empathy would be on cooldown and having top rank on both just makes it a lot easier to do the support role that we are initially setup to do. =)

peacemaster
08-23-2011, 08:11 AM
The problem is most often not your agro generation but a poor tank. 90% of the times when I run the ruins with PUGs, I end up tanking the guardian. When I run with tanks that are good, I can never steal their agro. Luckily as an engi, you have enough armor to take the guardian's beating. I have gone as far as starting to run ruins without tanks if there is none available.
For trash, tanks are very useful, but 3 or 4 OP's can do the trick just fine as well.

If you meet a tank that can hold his agro, add him and keep him in your friend list since everyone will use less stims (especially you), and the run will feel safer!

tl;dr version:
Even with maxed empathy and transference, a good tank will keep his agro

edit: make sure you have a complete sandwalker set before you attempt to tank him, will make your life easier

WJJ
08-23-2011, 08:45 AM
I have no proplem keeping aggro as a tank. Even if I'm the only comm I can still keep the mobs and bosses off my team. It's more than likely poor tanking by your team mates.