PDA

View Full Version : tank implant question

dollarbill
08-23-2011, 11:59 PM
So a major stat on the sandstorm set is dodge does that mean a dodge implant is better than the defensive one. I've been trying to decide. I'm currently 24 but not sure on which implant to use. Just trying to see what other good tanks use.

Zbooo
08-24-2011, 12:31 AM
So a major stat on the sandstorm set is dodge does that mean a dodge implant is better than the defensive one. I've been trying to decide. I'm currently 24 but not sure on which implant to use. Just trying to see what other good tanks use.

Most tanks indeed use the Armor Implant, but I think the Dodge Implant is better.... Imo

dollarbill
08-24-2011, 12:45 AM
That's what I was thinking. If you were able to dodge hits completely then it would probably outweigh the less damage per hit taken. Especially if the sandstorm set gives you more dodge you could possible dodge 1 out of every 5 hits. Thanks zboo good input.

Zbooo
08-24-2011, 01:01 AM
No Problemo amigo.

Numb
08-24-2011, 01:26 AM
I was thinking the same until earlier tonight, I took dodge.

kamikazees
08-24-2011, 01:48 PM
I think it really depends on how much damage you are dealing with. You want dodge for harder hitting mobs, and armor for lower hitting ones. The reason is that if a mob hits for 150 damage, it is better to avoid the attack (dodge) than reduce it by 5 points or so (50 armor). For example, getting hit 20x with 5% dodge, you dodge one hit and save 150 damage. However, if the mob hits for 30 damage, it is better to reduce the hit (armor) than avoid it. Getting hit 20x and reducing each hit by 5, you save 100 damage, but would have only dodged 1 hit, or 30 damage.

The problem is that we don't yet know how much armor = what reduction in damage. In PL 1 armor = 1 damage, so the math is easy: for any hits over 100, dodge > armor. In SL, I've found that dodge > armor for enemies like Guardian and the Vulars on Numa Prime, but I don't know yet about all the others.

dollarbill
08-24-2011, 05:09 PM
So then carry both implants and when u get to guardian switch to dodge.

Flowman
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd say hit % because if your skills don't hit, you won't be holding tank too long.

Deadly Deceit
08-25-2011, 01:20 AM
Assuming the mechanics are the same as PL, I would suggest that you set the dodge implant, because fully geared with Sandstorm set and Increase Mass you may have wellover 650 Defence

Zbooo
08-25-2011, 01:54 AM
I'd say hit % because if your skills don't hit, you won't be holding tank too long.

Not true at all :(, imo Aggro has not been an issue with tanks in Numa levels( Full Sandstorm) because the damage output + The multiple aggro skills that Commando has.... So Hit Implant is only applicable if the Commando is more damage oriented than a tank itself, Dodge/ Armor are your smartest choices. Dodge being your main implant.

dollarbill
08-25-2011, 02:00 AM
Turned 25 few hours ago. Been trying both implants and I feel like using the dodge implant is most effective on guardian runs. With increased mass and full sandstorm I have 699 defense with dodge implant. My dodge is currently at like 19%. I think that's pretty decent. I could possibly get more dodge if I sacrifice weapon damage.

Zbooo
08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Turned 25 few hours ago. Been trying both implants and I feel like using the dodge implant is most effective on guardian runs. With increased mass and full sandstorm I have 699 defense with dodge implant. My dodge is currently at like 19%. I think that's pretty decent. I could possibly get more dodge if I sacrifice weapon damage.

If you think you'll be able to handle aggro with less weapon damage then I recommend you to get more dodge and see how it goes :)

Flowman
08-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Not true at all :(, imo Aggro has not been an issue with tanks in Numa levels( Full Sandstorm) because the damage output + The multiple aggro skills that Commando has.... So Hit Implant is only applicable if the Commando is more damage oriented than a tank itself, Dodge/ Armor are your smartest choices. Dodge being your main implant.
Well that's how it worked in PL. Thats why all strength bears had SOME trouble with tanking. If your hit % is low, your skills won't hit. If your skills don't hit, your taunts don't hit. If your taunts don't hit, someone else is getting hit. Hit implant isn't for damage at all, that's crit implant, which is what all operatives should be using if they're not using the actual damage implant. Your skills could hit for only 1 damage, but if they don't hit you don't hold aggression. Devs said armor is different in SL then PL, so for now, I stay away from the armor implant.

Acyer
08-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I carry +50 armor for multiple mob pulls and +hit for bosses (Guardian)