PDA

View Full Version : Trial Commando Build

Flowman
08-26-2011, 08:01 PM
So I was thinking about commando builds and it seems a lot of people are maxing out the taunt skills. However, I decided to try a new idea on my LVL 25 COMMANDO:

***NOTE - I have not tried this build out yet in game. I made it based on what I thought would work. I'll update after some trials***

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8798/commandoskills.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/commandoskills.png/)

I don't like force hammer or graviton slam - Force hammer's damage just isn't good. It gets a 1 strictly for boss taunting as it's single target. Graviton Slam get's a 1 because although it's AOE, it's directional AOE. I'm going to try to use it strictly for it's slowing factor. This way, incoming mobs take longer to get to me (if they're not ranged based) allowing me to unload force hammer (if needed...) and Increase Mass.

Next is Nebula because I love it. A lot of people don't even use it, but for Numa levels I find it necessary. The 5 AOE hits over 10 seconds is great background damage to slowly knock away health of enemies. It's DOT and it's AOE...what's not to like? Since you'll eventually have all mobs on you with your AOE taunts, dispatching them as quickly as possible will be ideal, and AOE damage 5 times while your other skills recharge is pretty awesome.

That takes care of the first 3...Now for the other 4.

Immediately after casting Nebula, I will cast Gravity Well. At lvl 4, I'm assuming the pull will be pretty decent. Highest of the AOE damages for the commando, and is similar to the beckon skill. This does NOT taunt, and is merely used to get every mob in the area closer to you. This skill takes time to hit.

While waiting for gravity well to hit, I will then Increase Mass - Level 6. This skill gives 300 armor maxed at lvl 6. However, the most notable thing about it is the fact that at the max level there is NO debuff to your dodge or your crit. At the current time, this skill at lvl 1 would make my dodge and my crit 0%. Kind of defeats the purpose of having more armor if you have a 0% chance of dodging the attacks. Then again, people are still testing whether dodge is more beneficial than armor, so this is temporary. 300 extra armor will allow me to tank a lot more efficiently.

Once pull hits, cast Neutron Stomp. With knockdown and taunt, this skill hits almost immediately. Because of the knockdown, we have time to cast our next skill.

The last skill in the chain is Singularity, used immediately after Neutron stomp. Very high damage (commando skill wise) and is similar to PL's stomp. What makes this different from Neutron stomp is that Singularity pushes targets away, while Neutron stomp makes them fall down. This is why Singularity is used AFTER. This skill also has taunt.

With all the time the enemies spend on the ground, your skills will have time to recharge. I feel this combo gives points to the skills that cause the most damage while still including all 4 taunt skills for the sake of crowd control. The extra armor will help with when your taunts work, and the AOE skill Nebula is for DOT so you can focus on getting crown control while the game does damage for you.

The HP regen, Mana Regen, ans Crit boost skills were NOT used because Engineers are supposed to be healing whenever they can...so why waste points on something that doesn't heal all that much anyways. Mana regen was nice when I used to have it...and I might consider using it again as this build isn't really based ENTIRELY on causing damage (skill decreases damage at first). Crit boost isn't really needed as again, skills aren't meant as damage dealers. At lvl 25, there are plenty of reasons to use each skill, but with the current number of points we have, I feel leaving these 3 at 0 for the time being is the best idea. If I had to pick an 8th skill to use without removing the original 7, I'd pick the crit boost as you can always buy more mana pots...can't buy a critical hit...but that's for another day and another cap raise.

For my armor I use the full plat Sergeants with the Wastelander for normal mobs (AOE damage) and the Sergeant's repulsor rifle for bosses. Best HP and Mana and the best hit % to lose 6 armor and like 12 strength. Worth it IMO. I use the hit % implant so my skills don't miss as much.

Zbooo
08-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I give it a 3.5/5, just because the more taunting skills you have the greater chance of taunting the enemy.... But a pretty nice build, I see it strictly as a AoE and a bit tanking build.

Ellyidol
08-26-2011, 08:20 PM
Interesting! I'll have to play around more with the commando skills :)

Flowman
08-26-2011, 08:25 PM
I give it a 3.5/5, just because the more taunting skills you have the greater chance of taunting the enemy.... But a pretty nice build, I see it strictly as a AoE and a bit tanking build.
I have all 4 taunt skills. Until a dev posts and says that higher lvls in taunt skills = higher taunt success rate, I'm going to assume it's a set percentage based on actually hitting the target (Hit %) and the extra levels are just for extra damage.

Ellyidol
08-26-2011, 08:45 PM
I have all 4 taunt skills. Until a dev posts and says that higher lvls in taunt skills = higher taunt success rate, I'm going to assume it's a set percentage based on actually hitting the target (Hit %) and the extra levels are just for extra damage.

If it's anything like PL, have to say that it may just be a set taunt effect and only damage increases.

I question if Taunt actually stacks too, like 3 taunt skills consecutively give you a sure aggro. Somewhere along those lines.

Flowman
08-26-2011, 08:49 PM
If it's anything like PL, have to say that it may just be a set taunt effect and only damage increases.

I question if Taunt actually stacks too, like 3 taunt skills consecutively give you a sure aggro. Somewhere along those lines.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking as well. I also don't know about stacking taunts either. I think it's better to have all 4 in your arsenal though. No saying how often an engineer will pull healing aggro, so having 4 different skills to use gets rid of a lot of the chance of not being able to obtain aggression back.

However, something else I'm curious about is whether or not Healing aggression is based on level as well. If someone with lvl 6 in whatever healing skill has the hidden taunt, will it take precedence over a commando with taunt skills under lvl 6? If the engineer has aggression with lvl 6, will a lvl 6 taunt from a commando take it's place?

Ellyidol
08-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Haha. I didn't even know that Healing aggro existed (it didn't in PL last I checked). So something new learned again.

Sounds like a whole lot of testing is needed!

morfic
08-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Flow. I ran almost this EXACT same build with Derpytank for a while. Except I used the Sergeant's Heavy Thumper...I mean if your gonna go full AoE build, might as well do AoE weapon damage too eh??

Anyway, this was my favorite build out of the many I have tinkered with. I could almost run seemingly nonstop through Outer Limits solo. The amount of AoE damage was ridiculous. I only ended up swapping specs in anticipation for new content. I am hoping that with new content comes a super tough boss that will make it needed to have a good tank...As it stands, tanks are not needed whatsoever. Just a competent engi and some OP's. Or just some good OP's that can kite. But I swapped to full tank spec hoping that it will help the guild later.

I believe threat is damage based, I do not see how they could possibly put 6 ranks of a taunting skill into game, without the threat getting stronger with each rank.

All that being said, good choice of a build. I think you will love it. However, I would strongly recommend getting a heavy thumper or wastelander... It's a big difference. If you are using all AoE skills, you will be grouping mobs up more....if they are grouped, weapon damage is siiiick with heavy weapon. Just a suggestion.

Ellyidol
08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Flow. I ran almost this EXACT same build with Derpytank for a while. Except I used the Sergeant's Heavy Thumper...I mean if your gonna go full AoE build, might as well do AoE weapon damage too eh??

Anyway, this was my favorite build out of the many I have tinkered with. I could almost run seemingly nonstop through Outer Limits solo. The amount of AoE damage was ridiculous. I only ended up swapping specs in anticipation for new content. I am hoping that with new content comes a super tough boss that will make it needed to have a good tank...As it stands, tanks are not needed whatsoever. Just a competent engi and some OP's. Or just some good OP's that can kite. But I swapped to full tank spec hoping that it will help the guild later.

I believe threat is damage based, I do not see how they could possibly put 6 ranks of a taunting skill into game, without the threat getting stronger with each rank.

All that being said, good choice of a build. I think you will love it. However, I would strongly recommend getting a heavy thumper or wastelander... It's a big difference. If you are using all AoE skills, you will be grouping mobs up more....if they are grouped, weapon damage is siiiick with heavy weapon. Just a suggestion.

Other than the heavy weapons having 'Canon' in their suffix, is there a way to tell if it can do AoE attacks? From the way it looks maybe?

Like the Wastelander, I'm not sure if it can do AoE attacks because 1. No Canon in the name, and 2. It almost looks caught in between a rifle/heavy weapon :D

Ebalere
08-27-2011, 01:06 AM
As far as I know, any gun that the commando hangs below his hand when he shoots is aoe. Dont quote me, i play com. the least.

Edit: I would also add that increase mass is a good skill for that empty spot on the other page. Never know when you might get caught with your pants down on the wrong page, and the effect wears off so quickly. I'm gonna try this build.

morfic
08-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Other than the heavy weapons having 'Canon' in their suffix, is there a way to tell if it can do AoE attacks? From the way it looks maybe?

Like the Wastelander, I'm not sure if it can do AoE attacks because 1. No Canon in the name, and 2. It almost looks caught in between a rifle/heavy weapon :D

All heavy weapons do AoE, and yeah, they are held at waist level. I think currently all of them are...but that might be subject to change. Wastelander is definitely AoE. Easy to test if you get your hands on one.

Ellyidol
08-27-2011, 01:34 AM
All heavy weapons do AoE, and yeah, they are held at waist level. I think currently all of them are...but that might be subject to change. Wastelander is definitely AoE. Easy to test if you get your hands on one.

I see, I'll keep an eye out for waist level.

Is there a specific way to tell a Heavy Weapon from any other weapon? Is it the weapon icon? I notice that some Rifles have Heavy Weapon icons.

Acyer
08-27-2011, 08:27 AM
I see, I'll keep an eye out for waist level.

Is there a specific way to tell a Heavy Weapon from any other weapon? Is it the weapon icon? I notice that some Rifles have Heavy Weapon icons.

I think all cannons are heavy weapons.

Also nice build flow i used this till.we.started farming guardian it was hard to keep aggro off engineers. But like morfic said use a cannon if ur gonna aoe tank it makes a big difference.

SlingShot
08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Do heavy pistols do AOE damage??

Register
08-27-2011, 03:58 PM
I was thinking of making a aoe tank earlier and this is what I had in mind. But then I specced to the WALL build. I like it but Im gonna have to incorporate sme of this build into it. Theres jus a few things I dont like about the WALL build