PDA

View Full Version : Engineers and Operatives need compelling reason to use their class-specific weapons

shannong
08-27-2011, 07:20 AM
Commandos have a reason to use their class-specific "heavy" cannons: they do AOE splash damage (and trade off a little DPS and max damage). Granted, it's a *weak* reason because player testing seems to show that your weapon's max damage stat is more important than anything else because it affects the damage output of your skills too. But hey, at least it's a reason, however weak.

But what are the compelling reasons for Operatives and Engineers? Their weapons do nothing special (that any player has been able to discover), and quite often there are class-neutral weapons available at any given level that do more DPS, more max damage, and still have strong bonuses to INT and/or DEX.

IMO you should get rid of all the class-neutral weapons and force each class to use their specific class weapons, and you should make their class-specific weapons all do something useful for the class. As it stands now, it can be hard to tell who's who when squinting at the mayhem on the screen. What if you need to make sure you're standing close enough to an engineer to get a much-needed heal? They look just like an operative right now, because most engies eschew their class-specific weapon.

bronislav84
08-28-2011, 01:22 AM
Ops who don't use dual guns are being silly. These have the highest damage output in the game. That's their special ability. An Op shooting AND skilling kills really fast, while only boosting skills with a strong weapon lowers an Op's overall damage output.

For Engineer though, there definitely is nothing special about gloves. I for one wouldn't be caught using them unless somebody paid me a considerable sum of money.

I don't agree about removing common weapons. It creates variety for those who choose to use it, and one handed guns will be the only way to use shields later on when these are introduced.

Corpser
08-28-2011, 01:45 AM
yep removing those guns would suck.

The commandos can keep there cannons cause of aoe damage
the op can have his guns cause of higher damage output
and the poor enignineers gloves suck

so really the guns are for engineers!!!

Raulur
08-29-2011, 05:13 AM
Gloves are good for weak-mob exp runs. Pair them with a damage implant and they rock. On tougher maps, they just do not have enough range. I think the current design promotes the use of loadouts depending on the situation. I just wish it was easier to switch loadouts on the fly.