PDA

View Full Version : Jailbreaking

flaimdude
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
It's teh bomb. I recently jailbroke my ipod touch (2g) and I would recommend it for anybody (even if your warranty isn't up, because there is no way to 'brick' an iDevice and you can just do a simple Restore if anything goes bad). :D

I'm going to be writing a guide to jailbreaking soon, so I will post that here when I'm done! :)

EDIT: Also, 400 posts! Woo! :D

King Richie
06-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Yeah please explain how to jailbreak and also the benifits :)

Elfche
06-18-2010, 09:16 PM
LOL jailbreaking used to require some basic knowledge before... now a mentally challenged person can do it in a single click...

It's called Spirit (http://www.spiritjb.com/)

here's the famous soldierknowsbest talking about it (to assure you its "legit")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xrVHIR4yRc

Edit: and no mine isn't jailbroken :P

Elfche
06-18-2010, 09:59 PM
as far as "why" you should do it, there are a ton of videos on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=why+should+i+jailbreak&aq=3

Rebel
06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
I always use blackra1n. It is as simple as clicking a button. Literally, all you have to do is plug in iPod, and click a button.

My favorite benefit is getting to customize my iPod background and even apps! Plus you can add cool features to your iPod. If you know how to do it, you can get free movies and other things for free.

Darkchylde
06-18-2010, 10:42 PM
I love my iphone jail broke it aint a iphone 3g its a myphone 3g and i jailbreak my 4g when i gt it too hell i got both my iphones jailbroke go to you tube r spirit.com tht george dude rocks i have never had any problems jailbreakin my phones and i been doin it for almost 2 years oh the customizations incredible //i hate the system and aint systematic ...im a rage against the machine

Avadonna
06-18-2010, 10:43 PM
If you jailbreak you can run an app called backgrounder. It let's you multitasking. You could play PL AND post on the forum at the same time.

FriedSushi
06-18-2010, 11:12 PM
I have to find that on cydia NOW!

BestHyun
06-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Welcome to the world of jailbreaking

Furrawn
06-19-2010, 04:38 AM
I think my fav part of jail breaking is all the creative freedom for how it all looks... Even being able to change icons!

King Richie
06-19-2010, 05:31 AM
But what i dont uderstand is... i always here people with problems purchasing stuff off the in app store and all when there ipod is jailbroken ... i dont want that to happen to mine =( !

Elfche
06-19-2010, 05:44 AM
I guess you can't have it both ways?

RedRyder
06-19-2010, 06:14 AM
But what i dont uderstand is... i always here people with problems purchasing stuff off the in app store and all when there ipod is jailbroken ... i dont want that to happen to mine =( !

I guess you can't have it both ways?

Mines jailbroken, the app store works just dandy. I've put apps in through the pc and the iPod and have never had problems :) it took me forever to jail break since it wasn't as easy as it is now, and finding the software for the 2g iPod was nearly impossible till monthsss later. I had to use redsn0w which I think was actually the prototype to blackra1n. Back then it was risky as well. My friend did hers with my instructions and her iPod blacked out.

If you didn't have knowledge on how the process worked, what to do next, what goes where, your iPods as good as fuc*ed. Now that I see how easy it is now, maybe I can buy the new touch and jailbreak it too :D

Avadonna
06-19-2010, 08:39 AM

My iPad and my husband's phone are jbrkn. We don't have any trouble making purchases through the app store.

King Richie
06-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Ok .... should i jailbreak because it is only a 1st gen ipod lol
it might not be able to survive the trauma ! =) !

Sayishere
06-19-2010, 08:56 AM
jailbreaking has become so freaking easy

i remember when i wanted to jailbreak my iphone back in the day and how fiddly it was

spirit is the way to go now

1 click jailbreak

Furrawn
06-19-2010, 10:40 AM
I used redsnow, too. It took hours and bricking it was a real possibility...
But it also made jailbreaking it a bit more delicious...

Elfche
06-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Honestly, I am happy with what ios4 will provide me... the only possible reason I would want to jailbreak (I mean feature I'll actually use and want to have) is so I can have a video running in the background and not just an image... oh, and also mywi, so I can have facetime over 3g

flaimdude
06-19-2010, 01:09 PM
BTW guys, use Spirit. ;) Just sayin', it's as easy as blackra1n, and it actually works (ra1n didn't work for me - iPod touch 2G)! :D

Also, the guide is coming along great! It's gonna have:
I. FAQ (what is it, benefits, risks, etc.)
II. Glossary (for peeps who don't know what hax'n peeps are talking about)
III. The How-To Jailbreak Guide
IV. Now What? (for after you've jailbroken)
V. Last Thoughts (like a lil bit about pirated apps, etc.)

Here's the intro paragraph:

Hey everybody! This is my second ever iDevice guide, which covers a somewhat popular topic: jailbreaking. It takes you through an FAQ (including the benefits and risks of jailbreaking), a glossary with commonly used jailbreaking terms, a short and sweet how-to with some advice that should act as a sort of diving board for your jailbreaking experience, a 'now what?' section (for after you jailbroken your iDevice), and a last thoughts section. (If you don't understand any words in the FAQ, check out the glossary below!) Thanks for reading, and any and all corrections or comments are welcome!

Cascade
06-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Cool! Thanks for doing this! :)

Elfche
06-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks for doing this!
x2

Maybe if I find it useful (for myself) I might consider doing it

flaimdude
06-19-2010, 03:43 PM
No prob haha, that was one thing that I thought was missing as I was trying to jailbreak - a definitive, easy to understand guide on jailbreaking. So I thought, what the hay, I'll write my own for other peeps like me. :)

FriedSushi
06-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Its not too hard.
1. Google Blackra1n
2. Click on the website for it.
3. Download the thing
4. Plug in your ipod
5. Open the program.
6. Click on "Make it ra1n"
7. Wait a few minutes
8. ITS DONE! :)
9. When you go on your ipod, there wil be a blackra1n app. Click on it
10. Check off everything and press install.

For INstallous:
1. Go to cydia, and search installous, or hackulo.us
2. DOwnload

Cascade
06-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Wow that is easy lol

flaimdude
06-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Its not too hard.
1. Google Blackra1n
2. Click on the website for it.
3. Download the thing
4. Plug in your ipod
5. Open the program.
6. Click on "Make it ra1n"
7. Wait a few minutes
8. ITS DONE! :)
9. When you go on your ipod, there wil be a blackra1n app. Click on it
10. Check off everything and press install.

For INstallous:
1. Go to cydia, and search installous, or hackulo.us
2. DOwnload

Yeah, except blackra1n didn't work for me. ;)

Elfche
06-19-2010, 11:07 PM
do you guys not read before you post? I mentioned spirit as the second comment to this thread... it works and its easy. Honestly, I am more interested in what people consider as benefits other than winterboard and mywi. Since we will be getting background pictures I really don't need winterboard (I know it does way more than just that) and the only reason I will even need mywi is if a lot of my friends get the iphone 4, so I can talk over 3g, which is not unbelievable, considering apple already sold x10 the # of iphone 4s compare to 3gs on last year's launch

RedRyder
06-24-2010, 09:13 AM
so I can have a video running in the background and not just an image...

Sure if you want your battery depleting in 5 minute lol

Sayishere
06-24-2010, 12:28 PM
if you got a 2g iphone or a ipod touch

this guide is very good works nicely to jailbreak 3.1.3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMU9GlIXgRs

try it out if you need

flaimdude
06-24-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm still working on the guide, lol. But since there isn't a jailbreak I can use for iOS 4 yet, I'm thinking I'm either gonna wait until then or keep the guide to just 3.x. Also, I've got Flaimgames to work on so this is kinda being put on the backburner. ;)