PDA

View Full Version : Community Accepted name for those Mole-Dog mob things.

noneo
08-30-2011, 07:07 AM
I have been reading many threads with discussion of the mobs in the Numa maps that erupt from the ground and attack you.

Current used names for said mob:

Ground-Dogs
Dogs
Moles
Burrowers
Animals
Mole dog
Pound Puppies
Hot Dogs
Devil Dogs
Space dogs
Shriekers
Politicians?

I feel that we as a community need to come up with a generally accepted phrase for these mobs, so that there is no confusion during discussion.

I vote for Dogs.

P.S. it seems like the large Brown/Green mini-bosses in Numa are either referred to as Vular or Lobsters. I think Lobsters are more appropriate for the simple fact of not causing confusion whether you meant the Vular (from the Vular Ticker quest) or the Vular from Uncharted (lobster), etc.

Other forms:

Cockroach
Space Roaches
Scorkroach?

We have some work to do everyone..

Corpser
08-30-2011, 07:09 AM
call it a mole dog!

Ellyidol
08-30-2011, 07:10 AM
Dogs too! I just wouldn't want there to be some sort of controversy on animal cruelty in SL :D

Yeah, Vular seems right, I've heard and stuck to that too. But my initial name was cockroach :p

CanonicalKoi
08-30-2011, 07:24 AM
Pound puppies. ;-)

Zaltiar
08-30-2011, 07:54 AM
The lobster thing is generally accepted as vulars.
As for the dogs, i call em hot dogs when i set them on fiyahh!

starside
08-30-2011, 08:09 AM
We been Calling them Devil dogs and Space Roaches. We got bored and started naming all the enemies. Some names are not so P.C. so I wont be putting that here

Ign- Starry lvl 26 Op

Formora
08-30-2011, 08:25 AM
The giant bugs are some sort of cockroach/scorpion hybrid. Like... A scorkroach?

And the baddies that pop up from grates/bushes.. I don't know. Aren't there a few different types of them? We should classify these space dogs.

Kakatoa91
08-30-2011, 08:35 AM
For the movie fans,
you all know pretty much the movie 'Tremors' where giant underground worms called 'graboids' were the kinda jaws of the earth side.
In 'Tremors II', the deadly worms evolve into smaller kinda 2 legged giant size dog called 'shriekers'. And guess what... they look strangely very much alike as the mobs in numa... and seeing some pop up from ground surely add up to this.

http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/wrmkllr/p8-l.jpg

So we should call it shrieker...but hey you type that takes too long so you die... 'dog' is shorter lol...

Formora
08-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Haha.

"Help me with these Shri... Oh crap I'm dead :/"

Physiologic
08-30-2011, 09:55 AM
For the movie fans,
you all know pretty much the movie 'Tremors' where giant underground worms called 'graboids' were the kinda jaws of the earth side.
In 'Tremors II', the deadly worms evolve into smaller kinda 2 legged giant size dog called 'shriekers'. And guess what... they look strangely very much alike as the mobs in numa... and seeing some pop up from ground surely add up to this.

http://www.stampede-entertainment.com/wrmkllr/p8-l.jpg

So we should call it shrieker...but hey you type that takes too long so you die... 'dog' is shorter lol...

Tremors 1 was so kick-***. Victor Wong coined them graboids! Then sadly died :(

BodMaster
08-30-2011, 10:25 AM
I have been reading many threads with discussion of the mobs in the Numa maps that erupt from the ground and attack you.

I have heard them called, Ground-Dogs, Dogs, Moles, Burrowers, Animals, etc.

I feel that we as a community need to come up with a generally accepted phrase for these mobs, so that there is no confusion during discussion.

I vote for Dogs.

P.S. it seems like the large Brown/Green mini-bosses in Numa are either referred to as Vular or Lobsters. I think Lobsters are more appropriate for the simple fact of not causing confusion whether you meant the Vular (from the Vular Ticker quest) or the Vular from Uncharted (lobster), etc.

I could go with Dogs, but as they burrow from under ground it has to be Moles. :p

Dartagnian
08-30-2011, 10:31 AM
How bout "politicians"?

I like graboids, personally cause of the tremors ref. 8)

noneo
08-30-2011, 10:32 AM
So many more choices! I'll update the first post with all of the different options.

This will not be easy my friends...

Also, does anyone know how I can make a poll? If that is even possible.

mycroftxxx
08-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Remember the dogcow? If you can't decide whether it's a mole or a dog, it must be a moledog.

themars
08-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Dogs all the way

mycroftxxx
08-30-2011, 10:50 AM

The game actually has a name for these: vular tankoid. I still like to call them lobsters, though.

CanonicalKoi
08-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Remember the dogcow? If you can't decide whether it's a mole or a dog, it must be a moledog.

Or a "mog" or a "dole". :D

KingFu
08-30-2011, 11:22 AM
The lobster thing is generally accepted as vulars.
As for the dogs, i call em hot dogs when i set them on fiyahh!

As well as tankoids. I just call them that ever since I did the quest that referred to them as that.

P.S. I like burrowers lol, or sunwalkers named after the engineer gear since that's what they are, engineers in what appears to be sun walker:o

BodMaster
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Hmmmm still prefer moles haha I could settle for mog tho xD

As for Vular.. I prefer Vular.. anything quick and easy to type :) so Lobster has to be out of the equation :p Roach could work.. but it reminds me of PL to much.. this SL you know :D

Register
08-30-2011, 11:42 AM
How bout Burrowers? Its simple lol...And the lobsters, they really are called Vulars. If you havent done so, do some Numa Prime quests lol. One of em, you have to kill 4 Vulars that somehow got into numa....with steroids. But ya, the quest called them Vulars.

SUPAPRODIGY
08-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Do you remember Raid Roach its hes Son so maybe Raid jr.

mycroftxxx
08-30-2011, 11:51 AM
How bout Burrowers? Its simple lol...And the lobsters, they really are called Vulars. If you havent done so, do some Numa Prime quests lol. One of em, you have to kill 4 Vulars that somehow got into numa....with steroids. But ya, the quest called them Vulars.

The problem is, “vular” isn't specific enough. There are several beings within that species: the things that crawl out of gates (look like they came from Xenophobe to me), their larger relatives (“locusts”), vular headsquids, the vular egg, and vular tankoids (and their bosses, the vular ticker and the vular mother).

Nightarcher
08-30-2011, 03:27 PM
I call the burrowing things dogs, and the lobsters tankoids. It just sounds so BA ;)