PDA

View Full Version : DoT and root

Acezero
09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Best op DoT is root even though many regard it as useless. Doing some tests today. My flames of insanity dealt 23 3 times which is 69(lol) damage. My root did 44 2 times which is 88 damage and my anguish did 53 once unless you count the initial hit. Now anguish worked like 2 out of 5 times.
Another factor you can perma root since it lasts 6 seconds and its cd is 6. Flames of insanity deals its dot faster but cd is higher and the stun chance isnt 100%. Root is essential for a team op. For the hard hitting vulars perma root is insanely useful. Hope you ops invest a point in root because it makes you insanely valuable.

Blind
09-07-2011, 06:43 AM
Man thx to u! I just took out flames and got the psychic lash instead, and i gotta say, it makes a difference, more damage plus it roots the vulars. Thx to u, otherwise i would have never done it.

Physiologic
09-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Best op DoT is root even though many regard it as useless. Doing some tests today. My flames of insanity dealt 23 3 times which is 69(lol) damage. My root did 44 2 times which is 88 damage and my anguish did 53 once unless you count the initial hit. Now anguish worked like 2 out of 5 times.
Another factor you can perma root since it lasts 6 seconds and its cd is 6. Flames of insanity deals its dot faster but cd is higher and the stun chance isnt 100%. Root is essential for a team op. For the hard hitting vulars perma root is insanely useful. Hope you ops invest a point in root because it makes you insanely valuable.

Though most enemies die within a couple of shots, rendering DoT attacks generally useless in SL for the most part at the moment, you've made an interesting observation on the 6 sec. root and 6 sec CD (perpetual rooting for high HP enemies susceptible to root) - though this is probably only useful for the Vulars in Uncharted Ruins at the most part. I wouldn't really get rid of Flames of Insanity, as this skill does stun Guardian (and may stun other bosses in future campaigns) at a % chance, while root doesn't have much of an effect due to Guardian's long range of attack. Alternatively I use Lurch to knockback and stun the Vulars, but I can see how root would work as well.

Acezero
09-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Lurch csn disposition the vular sometimes. It even worked on the tankoid in delta. With it you are able to solo melee mini bosses because well, they can't touch you. Also it adds damage for bosses. Before Reduction. That's a bonus 88 damage every 6 seconds. Noe given reduction of enemy the damage could be 15 considering on bosses your shots hit around. 13 ish. Now just think a boss battle lasting 3 minutes, after reductions thats 450 bonus damage from root.

Physiologic
09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Lurch csn disposition the vular sometimes. It even worked on the tankoid in delta. With it you are able to solo melee mini bosses because well, they can't touch you. Also it adds damage for bosses. Before Reduction. That's a bonus 88 damage every 6 seconds. Noe given reduction of enemy the damage could be 15 considering on bosses your shots hit around. 13 ish. Now just think a boss battle lasting 3 minutes, after reductions thats 450 bonus damage from root.

For bosses like the Guardian the damage reduction is much more than that I believe, to the point where it's single digit damages (like 3,5,2) - and a good party can kill Guardian in about a minute or slightly less. DoT damages regardless its Flames or Psychic Lash is pretty much futile and negligible against Guardian. I'm unsure how many people would really want to solo Uncharted Ruins by themselves, because even with the ability to root Vulars there, it's way too time-consuming to solo. And Lurchs are only best used when the player knows how to use it, like Lurching a Vular into a wall instead of into open space.

kamikazees
09-13-2011, 08:57 AM
... - though this is probably only useful for the Vulars in Uncharted Ruins at the most part...
This is the only reason for root right now. Lurch and kiting are enough for me to stay away from them, which is why I have not taken it. Although maybe I should think about using it for my teammates who do not kite well...

Acezero
09-14-2011, 09:46 AM
It's for the team they can spend less time moving less time tanking more shooting.

Sporkeh
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
Few questions about this move.

-When rooted will moves like Lurch and Singularity still push enemies back?
-What bosses, if any, does this move work on?
-Assuming a PvP environment similar to PL would this move be an essential PvP Operative Skill? (I'm guessing yes lol just want clarification.)

Elf-Orc-Naga
09-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Few questions about this move.

-When rooted will moves like Lurch and Singularity still push enemies back?
-What bosses, if any, does this move work on?
-Assuming a PvP environment similar to PL would this move be an essential PvP Operative Skill? (I'm guessing yes lol just want clarification.)

This is an interesting question! In pl, root is essential since it decreases dodge making enemy easily to hit or some dot if thorn wall but root is better. In sl, it only does dot and root the enemy. I cant see the point to use this in pvp (unless changes will happen) since
1. Weapons are range, you can still fire even youre rooted
2. Engineers has hot = heal over time
3. Oper has the least armored char and slow kill will not help you

Well just my opinion. Experts have better analysis here

CanonicalKoi
09-25-2011, 10:00 AM
That is a good question, Sporkeh--I may have to trot out and give it a try. In PL, I loved both root and thorn wall, but their some of their effects were negated by, say, a bear stomping everything out of root or a mage blasting them out with Fire Storm. They still had the thorn damage done to them, but the Bird/Mage Nature Strike combo wouldn't work and they were no longer held. I don't know if Op's Lurch or Comm's Singularity or Gravity Well will cancel out the effect of Lash.