PDA

View Full Version : Parental controls.

StompArtist
09-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Hello,

It would be nice to have a "parental controls" button where you could turn all chat interactions off (basically make the chat box disappear) so our kids could play. I have an 8 years old that I do not feel should be exposed to online interaction with strangers but the game would be a lot of fun for him so by preventing him seeing the messages he could still enjoy this great game.

Thanks,

Stomp

wvhills
09-06-2011, 01:03 PM
I like this idea stomp. I hope the devs implement this. You should also be able to turn off in app purchases too.
+1

Navygreen
09-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Nice, man! I agree

bronislav84
09-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Won't work really. People would be wondering why somebody isn't talking. Turning off all chat is kinda harsh, too.

CodyBearr
09-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I wish they had that so I could talk however I feel and not have to worry about a kid being there or getting a mute lol.... Needs to be more like wow... Although I don't play that game I've seen how it is though friends

StompArtist
09-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Won't work really. People would be wondering why somebody isn't talking. Turning off all chat is kinda harsh, too.

Right now my 8 years old is not allowed to play because of these interaction. Turning chat off is a lot less harsh than being forbidden to use the game.

bronislav84
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Right, and how people might boot him/her for being silent? Like, hey Stomp's kid, we need you to do this. Can you do it? And he/she can't reply that his/her gear is too horrible to lure the boss, and can't tell that anybody is even talking to him/her.

See the problem right?

Sassinya
09-06-2011, 08:11 PM
I solved this problem in my family by actually playing in groups, and now guilding, with my children. We sit on sofa and play together. Might not work for everyone in every situation, but we have a lot of fun doing it this way. My Co Guildees all know my kids and are very polite and respectful when they are playing.

StompArtist
09-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Right, and how people might boot him/her for being silent? Like, hey Stomp's kid, we need you to do this. Can you do it? And he/she can't reply that his/her gear is too horrible to lure the boss, and can't tell that anybody is even talking to him/her.

See the problem right?

No I fail to see the problem and have never been booted for being silent myself. So the solution you are proposing is that my kid remains unable to play, because he sure will not be talking to folks in game.

bronislav84
09-07-2011, 12:33 AM
You're weird, Stomp. I swear. I just explained that by not being able to interact with somebody they would think he can't speak or isn't listening, which is both the case. What else but to kick him out?

How can you not see a problem with asking to remove all chat ability? I'm sorry, and not trying to be rude, but seriously?

Also notice I'm not commenting on your choice of allowing your kid to play or not. That's your choice, but all I'm saying is communication is a necessary part of playing multiplayer games. A parental control like that would severely limit the child's ability to strategise when the game calls for something other than brute forcing.

Like say, classic example: Gurgox. There's no way he would be able to clear that unless you explain it to him. Even then, coordinating with the team on who gets what orb is essential. If you lock down his chat interface, he would just be dieing and would have to just ride along for the clear without actually being able to survive the roar.

Overlord is similar, too. IIRC there's a gimmick boss with a one hit kill mechanic in Nuri's as well.

You can't just run into those expecting to clear it. Bosses with a gimmick that needs to be explained (Assuming you as the parent who has played this already haven't explained it yet) would be impossible.

StompArtist
09-07-2011, 08:17 AM
You're weird, Stomp. I swear. I just explained that by not being able to interact with somebody they would think he can't speak or isn't listening, which is both the case. What else but to kick him out?

How can you not see a problem with asking to remove all chat ability? I'm sorry, and not trying to be rude, but seriously?

Also notice I'm not commenting on your choice of allowing your kid to play or not. That's your choice, but all I'm saying is communication is a necessary part of playing multiplayer games. A parental control like that would severely limit the child's ability to strategise when the game calls for something other than brute forcing.

Like say, classic example: Gurgox. There's no way he would be able to clear that unless you explain it to him. Even then, coordinating with the team on who gets what orb is essential. If you lock down his chat interface, he would just be dieing and would have to just ride along for the clear without actually being able to survive the roar.

Overlord is similar, too. IIRC there's a gimmick boss with a one hit kill mechanic in Nuri's as well.

You can't just run into those expecting to clear it. Bosses with a gimmick that needs to be explained (Assuming you as the parent who has played this already haven't explained it yet) would be impossible.

I am talking about kids <10 years old here. I am doubtful that they would stop and discuss strategy at particular boss anyways. My request to block chat is simply because I could let him play and still monitor his actions without having him read the madness posted by some chatters, I realize that their is a filter for bad words but the filter does not work for proper words arranged in a way such has to say offensive content (for a kid). So my proposal is to have a parental control feature that I can turn on and let him enjoy the remainder of the game. You hardly need to communicate in this game, in fact I started talking to folks when I had already done all levels and had 2 toons at 50 (level cap at the time). Gurgox is easy to solo with a bird, btw. My question for you is why would you oppose a feature to help make the game accessible to parents who wish to protect their kids from interacting with strangers? Makes no sense to me...

Navygreen
09-07-2011, 08:41 AM

See the problem right?

No, no, no... Sorry man.. If I get booted for not speaking then they deserve to be in a group together without me. I fully support parental controls. Parents shouldn't care what people think in a game. My kids are my responsibility, not theirs.

I really don't think Stomp should have to explain in detail why he wants the controls. Seriously? Come on, man that's ridiculous to call someone weird because they're trying to protect their child. Lol.

hbproks9812
09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
If u make a parenting control then wat next u going to say make a game that doesnt have violence no but really talks only at the blackstar colony base i have never seen any one say bad i i have been play it for 3 months and poket lengends for 5 month

Navygreen
09-07-2011, 08:52 AM
If u make a parenting control then wat next u going to say make a game that doesnt have violence no but really talks only at the blackstar colony base i have never seen any one say bad i i have been play it for 3 months and poket lengends for 5 month

The OP is asking for a parental control OPTION to protect their kids. How is this affecting you and your playing experience?

gotrocks420
09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
I endorse this idea. Also would like to point out that OP is right, itd be better to play without chat than not play at all, regardless of how it 'might' affect a group.

And I give the OP a big high five for being smart about their kids internet use =D

Oyooy
09-07-2011, 10:41 AM
As well as chat there would also be the problem of inapropoate names which i dont see how they are going to get around

Lysdexic
09-07-2011, 10:42 AM
+1

I'm all for this. My 3 year old has mastered Angry Birds and constantly asks to try the "bear game". He can only read very simple words that easily include the naughty four letter words.

Navygreen
09-07-2011, 11:07 AM
As well as chat there would also be the problem of inapropoate names which i dont see how they are going to get around

Create a dictionary, almost like the auto-filter, with words/names that they deem inappropriate. When a member signs up, have the system cross check the dictionary and throw a flag if it matches any of the strings in the dictionary. Shouldn't be that difficult..

As far as the people who already have inappropriate names, nothing you can really do about that.. Except ask that people report them..

McBain
09-07-2011, 12:23 PM
I think this is a bit of a double-edged sword, because I think this game has the potential to help teach a kid about teamwork and communication, and without the chat, I feel like there's no way he'll find friends to run with or coordinate with a team. On the other hand, I can certainly understand why the OP would want chat disabled in this instance. Honestly, though, I've been playing this game a while now and I've very rarely, if at all, seen anything in the chat that I wouldn't want my kid to see. That's just my experience, anyway. I only really use the chat during a level and pretty much ignore it the rest of the time. In towns, mostly you're just going to see people spamming about selling items.

Navygreen
09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
I think this is a bit of a double-edged sword, because I think this game has the potential to help teach a kid about teamwork and communication, and without the chat, I feel like there's no way he'll find friends to run with or coordinate with a team. On the other hand, I can certainly understand why the OP would want chat disabled in this instance. Honestly, though, I've been playing this game a while now and I've very rarely, if at all, seen anything in the chat that I wouldn't want my kid to see. That's just my experience, anyway. I only really use the chat during a level and pretty much ignore it the rest of the time. In towns, mostly you're just going to see people spamming about selling items.

I like how you put this. I understand what you're saying... As far as grown up chat, check out Shadow Caves at around 8pm eastern time and into the night... lol :)

bronislav84
09-07-2011, 05:37 PM
I give up. I don't want to continue a fight. I'll be the better person. You happy now Stomp? You're the best parent in the world for not wanting your kid to chat or see offensive chat, because kids shouldn't be exposed to some things.

I'm not posting in this thread anymore, because you just continue to be stubborn and deny everything I say. I refuse to argue with a person who can't be logical about something.

Still makes some fights impossible when in a group without talking, but whatever. I'm out. Peace.

Lysdexic
09-07-2011, 10:32 PM
I give up. I don't want to continue a fight. I'll be the better person. You happy now Stomp? You're the best parent in the world for not wanting your kid to chat or see offensive chat, because kids shouldn't be exposed to some things.

I'm not posting in this thread anymore, because you just continue to be stubborn and deny everything I say. I refuse to argue with a person who can't be logical about something.

Still makes some fights impossible when in a group without talking, but whatever. I'm out. Peace.

That's pretty out of line. Unless you're a parent, your opinion on the matter cannot be taken with more than a slight grain of salt.

I completely agree with it being quite the double-edged sword, but this is a family game and the requested option does prove merit at keeping it so.

Otukura
09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Was about to say I think you need to be 13+ to play, but looking over the PL ToS and then the forum ToS, I think that only applies to the forums.

Anyway, change the quickchat stuff to different things that you'd end up saying? Like yeah, nope, gotta go, etc. and only let them say that? Add a few more slots maybe? I don't support an entire mute/can't see other's chat. Too severe IMO.

RS did a quickchat system that worked out pretty well for 13 and under people, is that what you're suggesting?

drewcapu
09-08-2011, 12:31 AM
Was about to say I think you need to be 13+ to play, but looking over the PL ToS and then the forum ToS, I think that only applies to the forums.

Actually, from Pocket Legends Terms of Service:

7. YOUR REPRESENTATION TO SPACETIME
As a material inducement to SPACETIME entering into this EULA with you, you represent to SPACETIME that: (i) you are over thirteen (13) years of age, and have the full and unrestricted legal right to enter into agreements; (ii) you are not located in a country that is subject to a U.S. government embargo or has been designated by the U.S. government as a 'terrorist nation'; and (iii) you are not listed on any U.S. government list of prohibited or restricted parties.

I do vaguely recall someone posting a "retiring" thread or some such and admitting he was 12 years old and then Sam locked the thread and, I believe, he was banned (temporarily for a year?).

Otukura
09-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I do vaguely recall someone posting a "retiring" thread or some such and admitting he was 12 years old and then Sam locked the thread and, I believe, he was banned (temporarily for a year?).

But that was on the forums, not from in game, he's still there. When you open up PL and click on the PL ToS link, I can't find a thing about 13 years of age. The only thing is says is if you are under 21 years of age they have the right to give chat logs, etc to your parents/guardians.

drewcapu
09-08-2011, 02:29 AM
I quoted the PL ToS (link via login screen). 7. is at the very bottom.

Navygreen
09-08-2011, 10:29 AM

Come on, man. It's not even like that. Just a difference of opinion. No need to stop sharing the way you feel about the subject. I'm open to all opinions and points of view. In this case, I happen to support the OP's suggestion. Of course there's usually positives and negatives to every update/change in the system. Some people are pleased with changes and some people aren't. In this case, I agree with OP because it involves people's children and I have to base my opinion on me having 2 girls and what I would do in that situation. Don't be let my opinion sway yours or cause you to jump out of the debate. You have rights, too. :)

StompArtist
09-08-2011, 10:38 AM

I am a bit puzzled by your post. I have not seen myself as stubborn, illogical or overly argumentative in this thread... Sorry if I somehow hurt your feelings, it was unintended I assure you.