PDA

View Full Version : Yeah, you know it's happened to you too in Nuri's....

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
If you've played Nuri's at all, you have probably been introduced to the seemingly crazy one-hit kill from regular mobs, regardless if you were wearing an elixir or not. Most predominantly on Haunted Symphony, but scattered elsewhere throughout the campaign as well. I have seen some of the very best bears that I know of go down instantly, and good luck if you are a bird or int mage. Boomclickpow you're dead.

I have noticed two procs, "Death Shot!" and "Tomb-Stoned!" in the area where it happens. It almost always happens when there is a group of 3-5 mobs, usually the skeletons and the purple mage mobs. Now, "Death Shot" is probably pretty obvious what it does (massive damage, although not positive if it necessarily is insta-kill by itself), but does anyone KNOW what "Tomb-stoned!" is, or have any logical theories?

I know that when I approach a group of these mobs, I target the skeletons first...it seems to lessen occurrences of the insta-kill. I do not think it is a "double hit" like someone suggested, so to speak, but I think maybe the purple mage mobs have some massive debuff that I have never been able to catch on my avatar screen, perhaps "Tomb-stoned" and the skeletons fire the "Death Shot!". Or the skeletons do both, and they are slightly different somehow.

Or since there is so much going on with a full party in the midst of 3-5 mobs and everyone is firing skills and it's difficult to see what came from where, is it possible that one of these is a new equipment proc for us?

Any theories? Pls discuss.

p.s. Also, while goofing off on my bear and mage, two separate times I have had people say "don't kill teh Painto clonez, it makez him stwonger rawr!". Uh, all the groups I ran with, we smoke the clones first, as it "seemed" to make him easier to take out. I know that just going straight after Painto and ignoring the clones, it "seemed" to take longer with the same group. Is this another "Teh Keeper stealz your mana shields!!!" unfounded rumor?

Coltona
09-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Happened to my dex/str bear earlier, first time i've seen it. Said *tomb-stoned* above my head lol i think it's the devs way of telling us we just got *pwned*. Rhymes right?

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Happened to my dex/str bear earlier, first time i've seen it. Said *tomb-stoned* above my head lol i think it's the devs way of telling us we just got *pwned*. Rhymes right?

Lol. I didn't think of that. It woulda been even funnier if it said "Tomb-Stwned!"

StompArtist
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Rev for plat!

NECROREAPER
09-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I believe that it's an unfounded rumor moog, and the clones heal him if you take too long to kill them. The clones heal panto during the "everybody dance" cut scene.

As far as getting "GRAVE-STONED" (which is the term you meant) goes, I know of it all too well, as I've been grave stoned at least 50 times now :/
It seems that it's a skeleton spell and that it does massive damage initially and then does a constant rapid drain for a period of time. I've survived the initial hit from the spell but I can't hit the HP pots fast enough to keep up with the drain, nor have I stayed alive long enough to see how long the drain lasts for, however I do feel like a massive drain is present in the event that the first blast doesn't kill you.

Either way, it's incredibly annoying and it's always in the same spots in maps, like symphony right before the first bridge with the radio on it. 90% of the time I get a grave stoned kill there :/

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Yup, that is one of the spots fo' sho. It happens fast, so fast that it almost seems like insta-kill. I have also seen "death shot" repeatedly.

Try stunning/targeting the skeletons as you approach..seems to help cut the numbers of them down. I don't mind it (although it is annoying), but it is crazy that it can slam right through even the Thrasher elixir.

Ellyidol
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Grave-Stoned I think? :D

I know, I love those things happening to me. My guess is the 'Grave-stoned' debuff comes from the zombies, and yes, the 'Death Shot' from those skeleton archers. I notice one other debuff to, an 'Ouch That Hurt' kinda thing.

My guess is that duration of aggro causes it. When doing quick runs, Beckon - Stomp followed by bird/mage combo, they usually don't have time to do anything at all, even if they are right on top of me. However, if I get too far ahead and Beckon - Stomp them and they manage to get out of stun-lock and target me, that's when I notice all this debuffing happens.

It's weird, really. I know one of the debuffs has a pushback, one has a decently long stun, and one can actually slow. Cow-slow.

And yes, notice it in map 1 only. Map 2 has that different mage 'Hahaha' thing it does that has huge damage too.

Blind
09-06-2011, 09:50 PM
To me grave-stoned is when a zombie throws a stone in your head :p

CrimsonTider
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Like Necro, I've found no solution for this. Full fortified with 4x combo pot and BOOM dead. Kinda like the mana drain: beckon for a round up and notice no stomp available for combo. LOL

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Grave-stoned, tomb-stoned, same difference :) but thanks guys, I noticed it first on my ironman overnight run to 61 and I was cracked out on coffee, pixie stix, cream cheese and I had an IV bag of Red Bull and apparently my vision was impaired :D

I noticed the "Hahaha" thing, but hadn't figured out what it could be. One of the mystery attacks/buffs can knock you clear across the screen, like you mentioned.

Ellyidol
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
My advice, keep moving. I know for one that the zombies move cow-slow as well, so elixir or not, our character move speeds should be more than theirs. However, sometimes you just can't help getting caught by a stun/slow/barrage of attacks, so good luck :p

I notice the 'Hahaha' thing when I go too far ahead of the group too, especially in a group of mages. They just stand there and do a Dance emote and all this 'Hahaha' stuff come out of them, my impression is that it casts some sort of really strong Stomp. It pushes me against the wall and does quite a bit of damage, more so if there are more of those mages.

Funny campaign :p

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 09:53 PM
beckon for a round up and notice no stomp available for combo. LOL

I know, right? i will be whacking buttons for Cruel Blast and it doesn't happen, so I do it again, nothing...I am like "what the....oh wait I iz dead"

CrimsonTider
09-06-2011, 09:56 PM
@ Moog - lmao!

And as Elly said earlier today during our runs: Mooooooooo!

Otukura
09-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Hm. Thread may have changed my views

Used to think Grave-Stoned was the slow and drain. Death shot was medium damage and a repulse. And when they were both close together you got a ouch that hurts and high damage.

Whirlzap
09-06-2011, 11:20 PM
You just got grave-pwned and death blotted.
Yay. Rev for plat^^

At first you can think it is a glitch but from some frequent occurances I think it is the zombies that are actually doing this.
My theory:
After some research, MR. ZOMBNERD, the a ZOMBELITE found out that players were massively murduring Zombies! With little puffy ears, ursans and the stuffy beaks, birdys and the smexy elf ears.
It was time to avenge Forest Haven. Bring out the ZOMBOOMSTERS! he says. And so they march to Nuri's Hallow.
In forever search to destroy all players. And the call crys out, ZOMBIELITES, let's make them ZOMB!
Z OH MY BONES!

Moogerfooger
09-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Hm. Thread may have changed my views

Used to think Grave-Stoned was the slow and drain. Death shot was medium damage and a repulse. And when they were both close together you got a ouch that hurts and high damage.

Yeah, that was my feeling, that somehow the two independently may not be fatal, but as a mob combo can be pretty brutal. Maybe Grave-stoned is the debuff and if one is under the debuff, the Death shot - which may not be fatal normally - triggers and insta-kill or rapidrapidrapid kill.

But it is really hard to tell with everything happening so fast in those spots if one is a drain that suddenly ramps up, or how death shot may just be a normal medium attack like you said, with a chance for a supercrit.

And Whirlz, you might be right that the zombies have something to do with it...but I have definitely noticed that if I manually target the skeletons and get rid of them pretty quickly as we run up to the group of mobs, that much less instakillzing is going on. Maybe the Gravestoned is from the zombies, I dunno. Which would in a funny way, kinda make sense :)

WhoIsThis
09-06-2011, 11:57 PM
It would appear that engaging at a range seems to mitigate it.

The majority of these deaths appear to occur when the enemy is within 5m of you.

Corpser
09-07-2011, 03:15 AM
It would appear that engaging at a range seems to mitigate it.

The majority of these deaths appear to occur when the enemy is within 5m of you.

and another blow to the humble str bear :(

Ixillicus
09-07-2011, 06:44 AM
The maps, it seems like so many of the enemies just have jacked up HP and a bunch of fancy new procs to make them harder. I personally find that all of these procs tend to cause the game to lag, especially in certain parts of the haunted symphony. Like near the start when you're clearing the big open area.

Doubletime
09-07-2011, 07:29 AM
We were talking about this yesterday in Chatbox. It seemed the one-shot deaths were when individual toons drew group aggro on both the skeletons and mages. So -- my "theory" is that there is a single debuff that either stacks or each mob has a seperate debuff (like break armor/weakness) that stacks and that opens you up for the kill shot. I haven't noticed the health drain, but I will look for it now.

So in those spots where the one-shots occur I try to make sure I am with the group and that several of us are drawing aggro at the same time.

CrimsonTider
09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
We were talking about this yesterday in Chatbox. It seemed the one-shot deaths were when individual toons drew group aggro on both the skeletons and mages. So -- my "theory" is that there is a single debuff that either stacks or each mob has a seperate debuff (like break armor/weakness) that stacks and that opens you up for the kill shot. I haven't noticed the health drain, but I will look for it now.

So in those spots where the one-shots occur I try to make sure I am with the group and that several of us are drawing aggro at the same time.

Only problem is for bears. Those of us who know how to play our toon do not stay in the group. Our job is to run ahead, take aggro, round up, and stun while the others come in and blast away. In one run last night, Necro and I took turns looking at the stars. Guess that's the price we bear pay. :)

Moogerfooger
09-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Well a dead bear is not doing anyone any good now, are they? Lol. I'd rather have a slightly pokier (or is that porkier :D) bear just slightly in front instead off of my screen racking up Gravestoned deaths trying to be hero, haha.

Ellyidol
09-07-2011, 08:02 AM
DT, your theory makes sense, since I barely see the Grave-stoned thing happen to other characters other than bears who gain total group aggro quick.

Although birds/mages die too, I think it is mainly from the series of attacks that land them rather than the debuffs themselves?

After getting that debuff again and again, I've just learned to try and stay away from mobs as much as possible by always moving away from them if they aren't stunned from Beckon/Stomp/HS. I don't like using attacks anymore, slashes or just normal hits, because I know one of them grave stones is coming..

Moogerfooger
09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
I've been gravestoned many a time. I die normal deaths too, but plenty by these new one hit wonders :)

Ellyidol
09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
I've been gravestoned many a time. I die normal deaths too, but plenty by these new one hit wonders :)

Really? I never see you die when running with me.. :D jk!

I'll test this. I'll try and grab one zombie and let it whack on me, then I'll grab one skel only and let it whack on me, then I'll grab both.

Moogerfooger
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
No I just stand near your gravestoned lifeless furball self shaking my head :D

Good idea. Maybe we can get some testing going.

WhoIsThis
09-07-2011, 01:39 PM
DT, your theory makes sense, since I barely see the Grave-stoned thing happen to other characters other than bears who gain total group aggro quick.

Although birds/mages die too, I think it is mainly from the series of attacks that land them rather than the debuffs themselves?

After getting that debuff again and again, I've just learned to try and stay away from mobs as much as possible by always moving away from them if they aren't stunned from Beckon/Stomp/HS. I don't like using attacks anymore, slashes or just normal hits, because I know one of them grave stones is coming..

From my experiences, strength bears and int mages seem to get the worst of it. Strength bears because they have to use melee. Int mages because they have to run into a group in order for their AOE to cover as many targets as possible (in theory, int mages don't have to, but it makes them much more effective). Compounding problems for int mages, they are probably the most squishy build in the game right now. I have heard of strength bears that can survive a direct hit.

Dex bears and pallies seem to be the next most common. Dex bears for the slashes and pallies for the melee again. The few warbirds I've seen can also belong in this category.

Birds and dex mages seem to avoid the worst of it (dex mages being the more common because of the AOE). Birds, because pretty much all of their skills are long range can afford to stand off and bombard.

There seem to be 3: Grave-stoned, death shot, and knockout. It seems to be the most common in map 1, but I have seen it happen in maps 2,3, and 4.

Moogerfooger
09-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Sorry, I completely disagree. Your assumption that birds avoid the worst of it is inaccurate, in some instances. Sure, if they stand off. But that holds true for any class/people who tend to be stragglers. Many birds play up front and bear (pun intended) the same brunt of these heavy attacks that aggressive mages or bears. It has nothing to do with class, and everything to do with aggro/playstyle.

I have been gravestoned/deathshotted numerous times while completely behind a bear/other players....because I gained aggro with a blast shot and didn't quite wipe them out.

WhoIsThis
09-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Well, playstyle will dictate death rate. I suppose the aggressive "physiologic" style will result in many deaths from this proc.

I am basing my observations off of when I play and how often I have to revive which build.

Moogerfooger
09-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, playstyle will dictate death rate. I suppose the aggressive "physiologic" style will result in many deaths from this proc.

I am basing my observations off of when I play and how often I have to revive which build.

Count me among the Physiologic-style :) but it also happens when I am not in front sometimes as well.

WhoIsThis
09-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Count me among the Physiologic-style :) but it also happens when I am not in front sometimes as well.

You and Physiologic are not really representative of the PL bird population as a whole, which tends to play much more conservatively by comparison and are much more wary about using a pot-intensive play style.

The majority of birds seem to die less.

Enisceloz
09-22-2011, 12:42 AM
The ones that give you the "Grave-Stoned" curse are the skeleton archers!!!!

WhoIsThis
09-22-2011, 12:59 AM
The ones that give you the "Grave-Stoned" curse are the skeleton archers!!!!

No. Grave stoned is from the goblins. Archers give "death shot".

Enisceloz
09-22-2011, 01:04 AM
I beg to differ! I'm playing Haunted Symphony right now and just got it from a Skeleton Archer, no Goblins there!

And I think I found the solution!! A Mage has to heal you to remove the curse. As a Mage heals you, you see the words "Cured" come up! That means when running on this map the group has to be well packed and synchronized, and of course the Mages constantly keeping an eye out for the group and healing!

largecommand
09-22-2011, 06:34 AM
ahahhahah my deaths r catchin up;)

Enisceloz
09-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Lol me too I had 150 something deaths when I leveled up to 58 in the Sewers! Now I'm at 208 all because of them Skeleton Archers argh!!!!

CrimsonTider
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
I have to agree wih Spidah. While leveling my birds, I began focusing on individual enemies ( I too have adopted the Physiologic aggressive bird playstyle) and have noticed when taking out the skeleton archers, noone gets "grave stoned". Problem is heightened when more than one skeleton archer is present within the mob.

Enisceloz
09-22-2011, 10:18 AM
I have to agree wih Spidah. While leveling my birds, I began focusing on individual enemies ( I too have adopted the Physiologic aggressive bird playstyle) and have noticed when taking out the skeleton archers, noone gets "grave stoned". Problem is heightened when more than one skeleton archer is present within the mob.

The solution is easy if the group or Mage is willing to work as a team. You have to have a Mage in the group who just constantly heals until the Skeleton Archers are taken out. So this kinda sucks if you're trying to do a solo run :chargrined:

WhoIsThis
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM

After doing a few tests, it seems:

1. When there are only green goblins, they can "grave stone"

2. Skeleton archers seem to be able to both "death shot" and "grave stone"

The solution is easy if the group or Mage is willing to work as a team. You have to have a Mage in the group who just constantly heals until the Skeleton Archers are taken out. So this kinda sucks if you're trying to do a solo run :chargrined:

Grave stone can one hit people. Rev might be more useful than heal. Often, it's not the death proc itself that kills - it's that it brings you so close to zero hp that one more shot and you die.

Enisceloz
09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
When Mages Heal or Revive (not really sure which one, I usually tell my Mages in my groups to Heal) and you have the Grave-Stone curse, if you quickly look over your head you'll see the words "Cured" and the little red icon with like a bone (can't really tell) disappear!! The "Grave-Stoned" curse just seems to make you prone to getting killed by one or two hits (even if you pot spam) as well as draining your Mana!!

Haowesie
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM

Yesterday I got grave-stoned by one zombie/goblin while on a tankers elixir and survived the hit -- they do look like theyre throwing stones.

Neffy
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I should be doing Nuri's in a week or so! ^_^ If not, LESS! :D Haha.
Sorry for off-topic but I'm guessing Nuri's is supposed to be hard as possible so that the dev's don't get pwned by their players. ;)