PDA

View Full Version : Apollo's Merchanting Guide

Zeus
09-07-2011, 07:03 PM
So, since all of the major merchants are making their guides, I decided to include my tidbits of advice as well, even the ones I keep mainly to myself. The way you got to approach the CS is like the way you approach the stock market, with research on the prices and their trends.

Step 1: Create a portfolio of items you want to monitor; Remember to make sure that your portfolio is diverse. In other words, try not to keep all your eggs in one basket. Try different categories of the PL market.

Step 2: Monitor those prices. Look for drops in prices. What I do is create graphs on Excel and Numbers for the prices that I am monitoring so I can help decide which items I want to buy.

Step 3: Set a profit rule for yourself. Mine is buy only if you are sure you can make a 15-20 percent profit per item.

Step 4: While keeping an eye on those prices, when they start to dip, don't buy just yet. Rely on the people's panic to carry down the prices more. THEN you buy. It takes lots of practice to predict the bottom of the drop, so you will get better at it as time goes on and thus profit margins will increase.

Step 5: Buy out items that are cheap and low in supply. This will create a large demand naturally (or artificially, lol!). Then sit on those items for a few days and keep buying any new CHEAP ones that you see make their way into the CS. After a while when you see fit, sell these items. No more than one or two at a time, else you will cut your own supply and demand. In the end, when choosing the right items, you should expect profits of 500k+.

Normally when I do this, I make about 1-2M per financial move.

Step 6: Keep an eye on any good deals in the CS.

Step 7: STAY AWAY FROM ANY NEWLY RELEASED ITEMS! You can make big money off of them, but it is highly likely that you will lose money and lose money hard because the items are so unstable and unpredictable.

I'll continue to add to this relatively short guide. I just didn't want to make it appear as a huge wall of text. These are the just the essentials to know

WoundedEagle
09-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll be a troll and say first! Very nice Parthy!

Ayc2000
09-07-2011, 07:06 PM
you finally posted something showing your immense knowledge in merching XD good guide, i know you'll continue to make it even better ^^
ninja'd me wound lol

WoundedEagle
09-07-2011, 07:22 PM
you finally posted something showing your immense knowledge in merching XD good guide, i know you'll continue to make it even better ^^
ninja'd me wound lol

^^^WIN^^^

Zaltiar
09-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Now...if you could send me those graphs ;) lolol
Godd work on the guide!

Zeus
09-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Godd work on the guide!

I might release some of the graphs on here. :)

Better yet, I'll make a financial market for the items. This will probably take some time. But, if I can work it out. Hopefully it will keep a day to day price range. On the other hand, this will take a lot of effort which I don't think I have time to fit in my schedule right now. So, if somebody is willing to help me on this, that would be great.

WoundedEagle
09-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Godd work on the guide!
Zaltiar, I have a thread for you to make in forum Discussion. It will be called. How to: Make Your Personalized Signature!

RedRyder
09-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I see what this is really about.. Lmao ;)

Zaltiar
09-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Ive made done some figures in sl but none on pl, just too much items to keep track of :|

wounded: lol, pretty off topic -.-
i have thought of that before actually. but i was afraid, with all the things i do on photoshop it might get a little complicated.
I will try it once i'm done with my mid sems though!

Zeus
09-07-2011, 07:50 PM
I see what this is really about.. Lmao ;)

Lol, what is it about, Max? :)

Kingofhurtz
09-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Oh! Ive been thinking of creating an excel document but thought it was a bit over the top. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Great tips by the way!

RedRyder
09-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Lol, what is it about, Max? :)

You know you know ;)

Zeus
09-07-2011, 09:09 PM
You know you know ;)

Nope, Nope. PM me? :D

Trollee
09-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Oh! Ive been thinking of creating an excel document but thought it was a bit over the top. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Great tips by the way!

I started doing this, recorded the price of about 50 different popular items that were in CS. I did this once a day for about 10 days, then I got bored lol.

Nourish
09-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Jw... But, irritates me not to know! Why do they call you party? :)

Zeus
09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Jw... But, irritates me not to know! Why do they call you party? :)

It's a spell check on iOS devices, if I'm not mistaken. Either that, or people think I'm a party.

Redbridge
09-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Great Advice Parth... Would love to see an example of how you record info for just one item.

JaytB
09-08-2011, 03:37 AM
Nice, to-the-point merching guide. I'd say it contains most you need to know about merching :)

Navygreen
09-08-2011, 06:13 AM
thanks for writing the guide :)