PDA

View Full Version : Red, White, and Blue Antenna in honor of 9/11

krazii
09-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Hey Guys,

I was commenting about another thread in announcements about this coming Sunday's special and thought I'd post it here also as this is the more often read folder.

I think it would be a great idea for STS to produce a Red, White, and Blue Antenna in honor of 9/11 and distribute them freely on Sunday, 9/11/11 as it is the ten year anniversary of those tragic events and in memory of all those that have sacrificed for our Country. I realize players from other countries play PL and they could make their own choices about whether or not wear them.

Perhaps they could automatically grant them to each character that way we wouldn't have to chase various Dev's all over different towns.

What do you all think?

RedRyder
09-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Beautiful idea..

Kingofhurtz
09-08-2011, 09:26 PM
I like it :) How do non-Americans feel about this though? I mean our country has certainly not been the only one hit by these horrible people.

Otukura
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I like it :) How do non-Americans feel about this though? I mean our country has certainly not been the only one hit by these horrible people.

I'm going to agree with this, I think they turned down a red-white-and blue idea for veteran's day because it was only celebrated in the US.

Whirlzap
09-08-2011, 09:30 PM
And other countries in the war might have different opinions.
Let's think, how about the introduction of "The Antenna?"
Available only on the first week of each month, this antenna shows how you show your patritotic love towards your furry developers and friends on Pocket Legends!

RedRyder
09-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Yea but 9/11 isn't a celebration of any kind.

Flickz
09-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Yea but 9/11 isn't a celebration of any kind. Right...

WoundedEagle
09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
STS is based in the US.... and it isn't a holiday, but it sure is a day of sorrow....

StompArtist
09-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I don't know how to feel about gifts for such a sad day...

antonium
09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Why don't they make them like 5 plat and give the profit to charity

mackjack
09-08-2011, 10:47 PM
How about making it a deal of the day for 0 plat then? It'd be a gift if you want it, but you can also elect not to get one.

Also, instead of red/white/blue attenna, how about making the attena look like the twin towers?

Asaciuacor
09-08-2011, 11:27 PM
red white and blue would be cool.. twin towers is pushing it

Zeus
09-08-2011, 11:40 PM
This is a pretty controversial topic. I'm sure STS doesn't want to enrage any of their loyal customers. So I don't think they will be biased towards this as well.

Please Note: I am indifferent on this topic.

Nightarcher
09-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm American, and if STS decided to do something for some foreign holiday or day of memory (however unlikely,) I would be totally fine with it, provided it has no offensive content in it. I say people need to be a little more open to ideas. :)

I understand that some people don't like recognition of holidays exclusive to the USA because America is already so full of itself in all its tarnished glory, and it seems we're just glorifying ourselves. It's a common attitude toward Americans, and one which I feel is completely accurate ( :D ), but still unhealthy.

--

But back to the topic. The recognition is not offending anyone unless a terrorist or two so happens to play PL, so there should be no logical objection to something like this, in my opinion.

Driazsomethingiforgot
09-09-2011, 03:34 AM
Its about remembering the day and giving our thanks to the men and woman in uniforms who gave their lives to protect our citizens. I have a cousin who didnt make it that day. And we celebrate in her place, to show that she is still missed within our family. Being sad on that day would just mean the terrorist have won and by no means we should not make it seem like they have won.

Shadowie
09-09-2011, 03:43 AM
Its about remembering the day and giving our thanks to the men and woman in uniforms who gave their lives to protect our citizens. I have a cousin who didnt make it that day. And we celebrate in her place, to show that she is still missed within our family. Being sad on that day would just mean the terrorist have won and by no means we should not make it seem like they have won.

Thumps up!

zuesmirza
09-09-2011, 04:19 AM
Agreed with redryder

Kalielle
09-09-2011, 06:27 AM
I agree with WoundedEagle and the rest on this one - it would be strange to give out sparkly vanity hats for our bears and elfs to commemorate such a tragic event. Also, why make them in the color of the US flag? People of all nationalities were affected by the attacks, and many countries volunteered troops afterward to show solidarity. Definitely controversial and don't think that antennas in game are the way to address it. (Sorry Kraz - I usually agree with everything else you say!)

I'm totally okay with in-game events that celebrate happier national holidays from any country, like Thanksgiving day etc.

WoundedEagle
09-09-2011, 06:35 AM
I agree with WoundedEagle and the rest on this one - it would be strange to give out sparkly vanity hats for our bears and elfs to commemorate such a tragic event. Also, why make them in the color of the US flag? People of all nationalities were affected by the attacks, and many countries volunteered troops afterward to show solidarity. Definitely controversial and don't think that antennas in game are the way to address it. (Sorry Kraz - I usually agree with everything else you say!)

I'm totally okay with in-game events that celebrate happier national holidays from any country, like Thanksgiving day etc.
.....Camoflauge Antennas...... ;).......

Phitz
09-09-2011, 07:22 AM
Why don't they make them like 5 plat and give the profit to charity

Awesome idea. It would be a in commemoration, for those who were lost by the tragic and cowardly act that was committed on 9/11. Look, this act was committed on our home land...America, and STS, being an American company, if they so choose, has every right to go along with this idea, and every right not to. This game is not pay to play. They offer this game for free. So there really should not be any reason for anyone to take offense to this, no one will have lost a thing... we don't pay a monthly service, so what's the big deal...just continue to have a good time playing together, beacause that's what it has always been about. Just my two cents.

krazii
09-09-2011, 09:44 AM
Lot's of great ideas and good discourse. My guess is that this has become too controversial and that STS will shy away from anything that would affect their bottom line or bother any of their customers. In regards to them being red/white/blue. I think this particular date is an American Memorial Date that other countries can choose to commemorate or not. STS is an American company (and based in Texas to boot, a very patriotic state), but they have an international player base, very difficult to manage, but in the end, I don't think anybody would knock STS for doing something to commemorate a significant day in their countries history.

SUPAPRODIGY
09-09-2011, 09:54 AM
STS is located in Texas and thats in the USA so i think they would have something on that day Remember 9/11 it will never be forgotten.

JulsAngel
09-09-2011, 11:00 AM

Awesome :star:

SlingShot
09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Love it:)

Orcish
09-09-2011, 11:58 AM
OMG I would be so excited for camouflage Antennas I would probably pee my pants.

Samhayne
09-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey guys,

911 was a horrible event. No question. 10 years is a significant length of time and it's understandable that different organizations and events will do things to commemorate it. However, that doesn't always mean we need to bring such subjects into the game world. Many people play video games as an escape from the pressures and issues of real life. In this case, we would like to respect that aspect of gaming. Therefore, we do not plan to bring a commemoration or recognition of 911 into the game.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding for our position regarding this.

Respectfully yours,
Samhayne

CodyBearr
09-09-2011, 12:29 PM
I would see no problem with the U.S flag colored Anntennas period... Veterans day, 9/11, 4th of July... The Dev's are based here and honestly we are proud of our country so why not have had them on 4th of July or anything just because? I doubt that would offend people from other places seeing how they are from here and the events we are talking about like most holidays are celebrated here...

Put it this way; POKEMON is from japan and have alot of merch with the Japanese Flag And The Game Has Events only for them in japan, do I knock them for that? NO! Because it was created there and I'm just glad they share it with the rest of the world and would rock a Japanese Pokemon shirt or anything any day :-)

Really dig the donate to 9/11 fund on the purchase of the Anntennas but they would prob be 10-20 plat not 5 :-)

StompArtist
09-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Hey guys,

911 was a horrible event. No question. 10 years is a significant length of time and it's understandable that different organizations and events will do things to commemorate it. However, that doesn't always mean we need to bring such subjects into the game world. Many people play video games as an escape from the pressures and issues of real life. In this case, we would like to respect that aspect of gaming. Therefore, we do not plan to bring a commemoration or recognition of 911 into the game.

Thank you in advance for your support and understanding for our position regarding this.

Respectfully yours,
Samhayne

Good call.

Red-white-blue antennas would be great for the next 4th of July... twin towers antennas (please do not implement). Camo antennas are a good new antenna idea all around. :D

KOLIBER
09-09-2011, 01:10 PM
This is a pretty interesting idea so I figured I would throw my two cents in. I was a soldier and I served from in operation enduring freedom in Afghanistan. I believe as much as any one that 9/11 is a day that should be remembered and recognized as a tragically significant event in the history of both America and the world as a whole. With that said I agree with Samhayne that this is a game. If you choose to honor the ten year anniversary in some way, do it in the real world and let the world of PL remain geared toward why it was made. To have fun

Snakespeare
09-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Please do some sort of service for the benefit of humanity, like bring some old clothes to Goodwill or sign up for some hammer and nail work at a local Habitat for Humanity project. This is not a day for vanity items. It is a day to affirm the spirit of cooperation, empathy, humility, and good will between MOST of the people on this planet. Holding up a sign means little. Only real effort, actual service, getting your hands dirty in the name of love, will help. Helping others means everything.

Remember, a few people who hate wanted everyone to hate, so the proper response is to love. That's the one thing they don't want!

http://911day.org/

StompArtist
09-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Please do some sort of service for the benefit of humanity, like bring some old clothes to Goodwill or sign up for some hammer and nail work at a local Habitat for Humanity project. This is not a day for vanity items. It is a day to affirm the spirit of cooperation, empathy, humility, and good will between MOST of the people on this planet. Holding up a sign means little. Only real effort, actual service, getting your hands dirty in the name of love, will help. Helping others means everything.

Remember, a few people who hate wanted everyone to hate, so the proper response is to love. That's the one thing they don't want!

http://911day.org/

Awesome post bro.

Cytokinesis
09-09-2011, 04:02 PM
.. twin towers is pushing it
yup

xBlacklightx
09-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Wonderful idea.

Xazic
09-09-2011, 04:17 PM
Not a very artistic idea for a day of mourning...

Snub
09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
OMG I would be so excited for camouflage Antennas I would probably pee my pants.

I would be concerned that i couldn't see camouflage Antennas... or perhaps lose them even...
**Ba Dum, Ba Dum, Tsh!** Snub has left the building.

krazii
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,

Respectfully yours,
Samhayne

I offered this suggestion as amendment to your original plans for Sunday:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?36202-Daily-Deal-for-this-coming-Sunday

Given your post, I hope there are no "deals" on Sunday.

BravoCompany
09-10-2011, 07:21 AM
As an Army veteran I will leave all these comments. It's fine to have these things to remember something. But me personally know what I done for my country and to be frank I don't need an every day reminder of it. Some of us chose to go fight because we knew it was the right thing to do to help defend a nation we call home. Some of us have nightmares about our trips and would love to forget. I find it nice al wants to say thanks and remember all that lost there lives and nothing wrong with that but do so in respect and honor. With that I am in favor of the idea but wear it proudly because someone faught and died so you can have what you have today. R.I.P all my fellow brothers and sister in arms