PDA

View Full Version : scaled maps

mackjack
09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Do you guys think that it's a good idea to have scaled maps?

I'd love to have the feature where I can host a game in any of the maps and still gain xp to relive the boredom of grinding to the level cap. For example, I can host a game in Forest Haven and the mobs and bosses have the same damage/armor as the ones from Nuri's Hallow. Maybe this can be enabled through a check box when hosting a game: enabled = mobs and bosses scaled to the host's level; disabled = normal, non-scaled mobs and bosses.

Also, it'd be nice if the drops are scaled as well (imagine level 60 shadow gear), as this would add more variety to the end game gear. Scaled drops is probably too much of a hassle to implement, though, so I'd be happy to just get level appropriate drops (e.g. playing a level 55 scaled map in Forest Haven gets Nuri's Hallow drops).

Kelstrick
09-13-2011, 05:49 AM
I love this idea!

In fact, to support the Devs efforts, I'd be willing to pay plat to buy a set of previous maps that would be "scaled up" to the current level (in this case 55-60) to allow me to continue to earn xp. (I actually leveled from 55-58 in the Sewers knowing that I'd have to spend an incredible amount of time at Nuri's given that I'm leveling without elixirs and Mt Fang's release date is still TBD)

Anyhow, perhaps the Devs could create a package of 5 or 6 maps (maybe 1 dungeon from the various earlier campaigns) sell it for 10 plat and allow us some variety to help ease the pain of doing the climb to 61! ;-) (Especially given the experience curve is now six figures for 61. Only going to become more of a mental grind of running the same few maps that are level appropriate if a new level cap is introduced in the future!)

In addition, scaled drops would be great to add variety. While I love my MM robes, it does get challenging to keep track of my toon when there are 3 or even the dreaded party of 4 mages (oh no, not another mage ;-p) all wearing the same outfit! (We're a mob clearing machine but spend an enternity on bosses!) Anyhow, I never got a Voodoo set when I was doing the Swamps, so it would be awesome to have the opportunity to farm a level appropriate Voodoo set now.

Please give it some serious consideration Devs! (BTW, love all the work you've done so far and appreciate all your efforts to resolve the recent glitch!)

Ixillicus
09-13-2011, 07:08 AM
It'd make it less boring thats for sure.

But if you're bored you can just run those maps anyways in easy mode :p

Navygreen
09-13-2011, 08:09 AM
I love this idea!

In fact, to support the Devs efforts, I'd be willing to pay plat to buy a set of previous maps that would be "scaled up" to the current level (in this case 55-60) to allow me to continue to earn xp.

So would I!

Kelstrick
09-13-2011, 08:38 AM
But if you're bored you can just run those maps anyways in easy mode :p

Ixillicus, you are correct, I can run the maps in "easy mode", however I can't earn any xp for doing so. Given that the xp required from 60 to 61 is north of 100,000 and given that I'm leveling without elixir, I'd be happy to pay for the opportunity to run other maps besides Nuri's to get to 61.

Gluttony
09-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Good idea, there are plenty of RPGs that use this formula and since STS has taken a stance against kill farming in the lower level dungeons, this would be a good way to get replayability put of the older campaigns.

There are a few problems that I would forsee this causing:
How would these games be kept separate from just any other instance where a high level toon is just running a low level dungeon, or easy mode as it was referred to earlier.
How would drops in those games be done, scaled FH drops all the way up to 60?
What level would the enemies scale up to; would the host choose the level of the enemies; would that level change if a higher toon joined the game?

These are just off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more issues that could arise from this addition to the game, so while I'm a fan of the idea it just seems like quite a bit of planning and work for the devs.

Cahaun
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Alien oasis would be a beast x.x

Navygreen
09-14-2011, 11:24 AM
Alien oasis would be a beast x.x

Yes it would :D

bronislav84
09-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Make it scale automatically though. By that I mean that every time the level cap goes up and a new scaled map shows up, that there would not need to be any extra effort on the Devs part. The maps should be programmed to automatically scale to the difficulty of the final campaign. Also when a new campaign comes out you shouldn't have to pay for a new scaled version of the previous level cap's final campaign if you got the bundle already.

Probably won't happen, but would be fun. Imagine the work they'd have to do to make stats for scaled up Forest Haven drops or something.