PDA

View Full Version : Paladin or bowchantress

v5point0
06-23-2010, 05:40 PM
With the existing Enchantress skills which all happen to work within a moderate radius, in example between 6m to 8m range to the target(s). The Paladin would obviously be a better a choice, as within this range you would probably be open to incoming enemy attack as well so the added benefits from boosting STR will come useful here, especially when you are using the class with the lowest HP Pool and a critical from most enemies can instantly kill you.

Though, you are now reliant on your skills to dish out damage, which is rather true for all classes but is greatly emphasized in the case of the PALADIN or the standard ENCHANTRESS as the DPS from your weapon is minimal.

Now skills need Mana, and if you are not lucky to have high mana regen gear, you will be spending an awful lot on Mana Pots.

In the case of the BOWCHANTRESS, you have the option of doing some damage from afar, you can still pull off the Elemental Combo if you are buffed up and within range. Though your survivability is reduced for added damage.

I am just curious as to which is one fairs better in both PvE and PvP. It is obvious that Paladins if used correctly, are better then Bowchantress in PvP but still Archers can use Repulse Shot and Thorn Wall/ Thorn Root to get away from the Elemental Combo; and Warriors can Stun as far as 8m with Hell Scream, heck even another Enchantress can get away with the push back Fire Storm.

My point is, anyone can get away from a Paladin while firing away with a Bow. The only way I see the Paladin winning is by freezing within a 6m range, Lightning and Firestorm, and auto attack, heal and another Lightning. I don't see the Paladin getting away versus a Ursan but perhaps against a lesser skilled Archer or another Enchantress.

FluffNStuff
06-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Currently the Paladin is the best build in the game because STR based equipment gets +24 m/s (All four Thoth items). Nearly unlimited spamming of spells and insane health due to man shield. This can and most likely will change with the release of AOII.

Royce
06-24-2010, 12:04 PM
Paladin is currently the undisputed champ of builds. However, dex mage is really fun to play. I have both. When the current, messed up gear situation is fixed, I will respec my paladin back to Int mage. Dex mage is just more fun than paladin in my opinion, and my Int mage is only a temporary paladin because STS left me no choice...

v5point0
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Currently the Paladin is the best build in the game because STR based equipment gets +24 m/s (All four Thoth items). Nearly unlimited spamming of spells and insane health due to man shield. This can and most likely will change with the release of AOII.

True the gear do give the build a boost, and am guessing the Devs created it to get back some Bowbears to becoming standard Warriors. But for STR build Enchantress or Paladins, well I guess they are having some fun with it at the moment; but as you said, things will likely change in AO2 and people will respec to accommodate what ever that is hot next.

But am more curious as to which is the better build for the Enchantress irrespective of the gears available but much rather focusing on the skills set and default build of the class.

Royce
06-24-2010, 12:19 PM
But am more curious as to which is the better build for the Enchantress irrespective of the gears available but much rather focusing on the skills set and default build of the class.

Ah. In that case I would say dex mage. Without the crazy regen gear currently available to paladins, they are mediocre hybrids, not quite able to tank, and without the regen to be a real mage. A dex enchantress can be effective DPS, and will do the most damage with skills due to the high dex.

v5point0
06-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Paladin is currently the undisputed champ of builds. However, dex mage is really fun to play. I have both. When the current, messed up gear situation is fixed, I will respec my paladin back to Int mage. Dex mage is just more fun than paladin in my opinion, and my Int mage is only a temporary paladin because STS left me no choice...

Whoa, you have three different Enchantress Builds, each with a different attribute setup? That is awesome my friend and takes a lot of patience. I have tried all three setups as well but only on one character, and I do have a liking for the Dex Mage too :) but I also see the benefit of increasing HP and Armour with the Paladin especially if you tend to use the elemental combo as it invites aggro.

Now with a Dex Mage, I am less likely to use Ice and Fire Storm, and would probably exchange it for Nightmare and Weakness to increase damage output and reduce damage input along with some dodging effect. The difference is, am not so dependent on my skills to dish out damage, I use them to weaken the foes but not to take them down. I do miss the Hot Flash combo, and the regen but I will live. Yes my survivability increases, but still 204HP is too low, and the Weakness and Nightmare buffer only lasts for 8secs within a mid-range radius, so an enemy coming towards me from afar or firing away at me from afar can still pawn me.

So STR would benefit a Mage more then Dex in terms of survivability that is.

Sayishere
06-24-2010, 12:32 PM
i didnt even read your message but paladin is the best class ingame right now, jump on the bangwagon and full steam ahead

Royce
06-24-2010, 12:51 PM
Now with a Dex Mage, I am less likely to use Ice and Fire Storm, and would probably exchange it for Nightmare and Weakness to increase damage output and reduce damage input along with some dodging effect.
I would recommend using weakness, but not nighmare for a dex mage. Nightmare is very short range and I just find it doesn't work with a ranged attack build very well. I basically say use nightmare only if you PvP in which case you need it.

Yes my survivability increases, but still 204HP is too low, and the Weakness and Nightmare buffer only lasts for 8secs within a mid-range radius, so an enemy coming towards me from afar or firing away at me from afar can still pawn me.

So STR would benefit a Mage more then Dex in terms of survivability that is.

Depends how you play. A lot of people expect a pally to go toe to toe with bosses, and you can for the brief period your buffs and magic shield last, but once they wear off, you're toast. A dex mage survives by staying on the move and out of range of heavy melee attacks. If you really plan and play as a ranged character, I think dex mage is the most survivable of the three.