PDA

View Full Version : Poaching

WolfShaman
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Poachers. By definition, one who trespasses or steals. Usually used for environmental issues or as corporate jargon when headhunters steal prized employees. I use it here to define players who come into a dungeon with only the Boss remaining, stand in the corner of the room taking no action to assist, and get rewarded with a Legendary (Pink).
After spending (X) time, (X) potions, and/or (X) Plat, with friends to achieve the goal at hand, this is arbitrarily unacceptable. It undercuts the legitimate party's hard work.
Ask yourself: why should that "walk-on" player earn that Glyph armor/weapon that you've been farming extensively for?

Most, if not all of you, who care to read this thread will say, "Tough luck." or "Deal with it." Maybe even some veiled unpleasantries. Just stop for a moment and think of the ramifications. That "walk-on" gets the prize without sacrifice. You've lost time. You've lost that weapon/armor piece you've wanted. You've lost income if you're a seller of Legendary items. (I've seen posts of players selling these items for millions). He/she gets the money. He/she gets the prize to give to a lower level player/friend. He/she gives it to another of their characters registered on another device. Shouldn't a system be put into place to thwart the poachers? This is a "gray zone" issue of cheating, which is against the TOS.

adidaman
09-13-2011, 12:24 PM
First of all, don't purposely attempt to flame people. There different reasons why people don't fight, including lag or a lost connection. And second of all, nobodys perfect. That's all

Driazsomethingiforgot
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
Smh...

Kelstrick
09-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I understand your frustration and offer two recommendations to avoid what you define as poachers:

1) Host or join only password protected games.
2) Ask the player who joins late to fight or leave. If he/she doesn't engage in combat then boot or ask host to boot. (I did this several times when I hosted Shadow runs as part of the Cyber Quest)

Problem solved... (BTW, if you join a public game where nobody can boot then thats the price of playing...)

Doubletime
09-13-2011, 12:47 PM
The thing that you have to understand is that all the drops are independent rolls by the individual players. Each players presence has no effect on the drop any other player gets. If there are five toons in a group and one toon gets a pink --had that person not been present the remaining 4 drops would have still been for a non-pink. It is the same reason booting people right before the boss dies doesn't increase your chance for a pink. Everybody gets an independent seperate roll.

So there isn't a situation EVER where another player can "steal" a pink from a party or host or whatever.

However, there is a situation where someone "leeches" drops, xp, gold, etc. from a party. It happenes where someone simply trails a party and never engages any mobs. Stands in the corner of the boss room and doesn't help. However, remember there are sometimes situations where it may look like someone is leeching or not helping when in fact they may just have lag or a ping spike or a phone call or there kid may be asking them something or there mom may be asking them something.

Also, people that join toward the end of the map may not just be joining for a boss kill. Many times I have looked to join a random game and there are none that are at the beginning of the board I want to farm. I would join for the end of the board in hopes of getting in on the start of the next game too.

So you have to be careful with generalizations.

That being said, this generally only comes up in PUGs. Some solutions may be joining a guild with a broad membership where you have more set groups and teams. Play with your friends on the friend-list. And just avoid grouping with people that you see doing this in the future. So that you are having fun playing and not worrying about this kind of stuff. And if you are frustrated farming because you seem to be having a run of bad drops. No worries. We all go through it (like me right now). Just keep farming. Have fun with your friends and the drop or drops will eventually come.

DT

Ebalere
09-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Lmao dude, loot rolls are independent for each player so why do u care if they get their pink, doesnt mean they stole it from you.. why you so jelly of others good luck?

And if you fought the whole way to boss while they just stood there, either host your own game so u can boot, or leave the game before you "do all the work for them". Problem solved. But seriously, who gives a crap what they loot, whether they are there or not you're still gonna get what you get.

EDIT: Doubletime is Sniper magnifico

arischal
09-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Lmao dude, loot rolls are independent for each player so why do u care if they get their pink, doesnt mean they stole it from you.. why you so jelly of others good luck?

And if you fought the whole way to boss while they just stood there, either host your own game so u can boot, or leave the game before you "do all the work for them". Problem solved. But seriously, who gives a crap what they loot, whether they are there or not you're still gonna get what you get.

EDIT: Doubletime is Sniper magnifico

poaching from another forum question ...

^what he said. Lol

Numb
09-13-2011, 01:30 PM
I've done this a few times.. but normally because u needed the boss for a quest.

Navygreen
09-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Lol done what? Purposely stood in the corner? Haha nice!

I thought that was funny.. Sorry... Carry on... :/

Ixillicus
09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
You might be jealous because they happen to get a good drop. I'm not saying I agree with their style, but technically them getting a pink has absolutely no impact on you.

im4broke
09-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Just my $.02, the ping and lagg are real problems when trying to determine if someone is leeching, no way to tell. However, the ones that get under my collar are the ones that deliberately walk by the mobs/boss and go to the chest and start opening them as if they are going to get more by doing this first, then you see, for instance, a bear using his skills yet, as a bear, I know he/she is not on auto-attack because they are too far away for the skill to be doing much if anything...it's just acting. I get agro lots with my 59 bear, can even steal it from drugged up birds and mages that are level 61, and when I see someone I suspect is acting and not on auto-attack I will walk the boss away from that person to see what happens. Nine times out of ten it takes them a few seconds to realize they are jumping up and down at nothing and then move over to appear they are doing something. Then I move again, leaving them hitting air...very funny, but also annoying when they get a pink. Usually I pm them asking to please contribute or I will boot them. This usually works wonders! They either leave or start auto-attacking.

McBain
09-13-2011, 07:37 PM
I haven't really noticed this problem, at least not enough to be annoyed by it, and I do play in public groups a lot. Even so, the way I figure it, if somebody wants to leech their way through the game, that's their decision, but they're missing out on most of the fun. Regardless, like everyone said, it doesn't affect your drops, etc etc....

Haowesie
09-15-2011, 08:36 PM
The thing that you have to understand is that all the drops are independent rolls by the individual players. Each players presence has no effect on the drop any other player gets. If there are five toons in a group and one toon gets a pink --had that person not been present the remaining 4 drops would have still been for a non-pink. It is the same reason booting people right before the boss dies doesn't increase your chance for a pink. Everybody gets an independent seperate roll.
DT

That's what I suspected too for the longest time, thanks for confirming!