PDA

View Full Version : Healing

Biggest
04-14-2010, 10:08 AM
Hi Enchantresses! I was spouting off about tanking in the tanking section and then something occurred to me about healing. So here I am.

This thread is for the Enchantresses who want to be dedicated healers. How's it going with that? Do you feel it's viable? Are you essential or just going through the motions for fun? More importantly is dedicated healing needed at all?

There's only one pure heal out of 12 skills so it's obvious that there's not that much for a healer to be excited about. You could still do it, with your debuffs and buffs. Weakness and Nightmare could add "virtual" hp to others. You certainly could just go with all support spells.

But when is AOE healing best? Let's look at how you might use Heal: You could blast it as a part of your dps rotation to keep yourself and others alive. You can use it after a battle to top up the party. You can spam it to save someone who's going down fast because of agro issues.

The first way probably works a little too good, the second is fine, and the third is a klunky and not really dependable way to focus heal someone. Like, the tank.

There's no good way to heal the tank. You could debuff his target, you could use B of Vitality and whatnot- but if you want to just heal it's going to be a whole room full of AOE agro on you.

But my real point is that it's NOT a problem now because tanks aren't that important right now. We know heals are useful and damage is the real name of the game, but what about tanking? It's more of just a novelty. "Oh look. He likes to roleplay a tank. RAARR."

And when I DO tank a hard boss I go in thinking, "I hope I don't get so involved in tanking the boss and protecting everyone from mobs that I forget to use health pots." I usually know that no enchantress is going to be able to keep me up on her own. Even if she tried to, she's not equipped to pour into one person like that.

SO that's why we have health pots. Plenty of em. And we can spam them! This is like a band aid. Pots are supposed to be for emergencies, not self-healing rotations. Theoretically anything's survivable if I can keep pressing that little red potion over and over.

As a tank, it's one extreme or the other: For most mobs who don't need tanking I'm a horrible dps who never needs healing, on a boss I'm a tank who needs more healing than "Heal" can do and therefore must spam HP pots or just wait to be revived.

My point is that Healing and Tanking are intertwined and any issues with one affect the other.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?323-Self-Buff-Tanking

This game isn't so much strategic as it is a romp. In which case, even the concept of tanking is overthinking it. Even heals aren't really necessary because we all can have ten billion potions. SO the only real useful thing is DPS...and here we are.

Did any of you start out wanting to be full on healers and then fall more into AOE damage spec ?

Did anyone want to tank and then gravitate to a more "useful" class?

KronicDecay
04-14-2010, 10:34 AM
I started off being a full healer but mana potions get crazy expensive. Now I still have max heal but am now working on maxing my aoe spells. Not to mention it sucks when you have 2 other enchantresses in game and they always rely on you to heal them and won't even rez you if you die. And not to mention when you heal everyone every mob in the area comes after you as well. Reminds me of healing in daoc.

rdurham527
04-14-2010, 12:37 PM
I play the "tank" and as it stands right now I would prefer the enchantress NOT even use heal. I run into a room taunt and stomp, they are mine. To AoE heals and bam, all hell breaks lose. So maybe the heal needs less threat or as a warrior I would like taunt to put me much higher on the aggro list. Just my suggestion

NEGRISSIMO
04-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Enchantresses need a single target Heal Spell that creates less enmity and costs less MP to cast, for effective tank healing and let him do his job.

rdurham527
04-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Agreed. I just don't think the warrior generates enough threat to really call him a tank. Only thing I can see needing a warrior for is boss fights which evasion archer can do... :( only version 1 though so let's see what happens. I like the warrior regardless though lol

Zeya
04-14-2010, 02:26 PM
I started out pumping points into the heal spell, which I now realize is a mistake. (It's too bad that a respec costs real world money by the way.) Healing has only come in useful in two scenarios: a panic button when I'm getting drowned with enemies, and when I'm in a team of 2-3 including myself and the other guys aren't healing themselves with pots. Other than that I find myself using AoE like blizzard and firestorm and then hitting that mana potion button to refill. So basically I end up buying a lot of mana potions and using AoE all the time. I find that other classes must be using healing pots on themselves. I imagine they use healing pots the way I use mana pots (i.e. all the time).

Jetshrike
04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
hmmm. Ithink that heal should not make the enchantress the target as much as it does as the enchantress isn't build to take an entire mobs attention. I think there should ebe some spell to suplement healing, For example in one game I played there was a spell that increased the effectiveness of healing on the target. Im not sure about healing one specific person but it depends how you target them. It can get stressful trying to heal someone and making a slight error and accidentaly selecting the wrong person. I guess the other problem is if I were a tank I wouldn't want to rely on an enchantress healing me as I wouldn't always be able to guarantee if they would heal me or if they would always have enough mana. So I'd just use pots instead :/

pbfreek
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I started out not really knowing how deadly we are in AoE specs. I ended up being heals and AoE. Currently, the 4 skills on my Skill bar to the left side of the screen are Heal, Drain Life, Firestorm and Lightning. All of which are rank 5.

Drain Life is actually quite a nice skill. At rank 5, I've seen heals as high as 190. The damage it does is just as fierce as it's heal. I've found that it's quite useful on bosses.

Jetshrike
04-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Hm I might start investing in it once i do my re-spec. It kind of embarassing how I have a tendency to overlook some awesome skills. Currently Im using Firestorm, Lightning, heal and mana shield

KronicDecay
04-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Just respecced my char (paid the whopping $1.99 fee) left one point in heal and one in Rez. Put all the other points in aoe spells and i can pretty much solo levels in dak forest now. So I'm officially done with being the healer. Not to mention I don't get aggro in multiplayer games anymore so that's a major plus

Jamie
04-15-2010, 09:09 AM
I decided to be a healer at the start of the game and it's quite annoying now actually lol.

Everyone expects you to constantly heal them when they don't seem to know that

1. It has a cooldown meaning I can't endlessly spam heal and
2. It gives off MASSIVE amounts of aggro

I've tried to heal 4 people with my level 5 heal and had about 20 enemies pile me while I tap as many mana pots + health pots + heals as I can manically trying to stay alive and heal everyone else. I wish people would just buy health pots and heal themselves instead of purely relying on the healer to keep everyone alive. Enchantresses with heal should be a safety net for healing not just pure healers :mad:

KronicDecay
04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
That's why I have a quick chat icon that states "I am not a healer" that normally stops people from askin once they see that when I join a game