PDA

View Full Version : New update is battery drainer.

Fac3bon3s
09-15-2011, 08:10 AM
Last night when playing the new expansion with some guild mates I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than with any other zone and quicker than it ever did with PL. I plugged my phone in and let it charge to 50% and tried to resume play. While my phone was plugged in and charging it died while playing SL. So the game is draining my battery faster than my phone can charge. How is this even possible? It takes 1 hour to fully charge my phone. Yet I can play PL for 3 hours at full battery. And was able to play SL for 2-2.5 hours before the update.

edit: I also have my screen brightness turned down to 30% and have no background apps going or any location controls on.

Orcish
09-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Not that this fixes your major drain issues but you can adjust the battery saver on the second page of the game options. I hope this is at least a temporary solution to your problem.

Fac3bon3s
09-15-2011, 09:40 AM
It would be nice if the battery saver option let you know which way was better for battery consumption. To the left or right. No indications what so ever. Anyways I had it cranked to the left. Not sure if that is good or not. I will try cranked to the right and see what happens. It would be great if we the customer did not have to figure this out for ourselves. It's like a new quest. Find the best way to conserve battery.

Update: moving it to the right did nothing for battery consumption. All it did was lower my frame rate.

bronislav84
09-15-2011, 10:16 AM
On max graphics (Battery saver off, and framerate lower) it's been doing that for me since beta, actually.

If yours dies while charging on battery saver all the way to the left, then that's a problem.

Corbantis
09-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I don't want to lessen your situation. But sometimes older phone, or phones with weak batteries will drain at a high-rate - and charge at a slower rate. I haven't noticed any drains on my iphone or ipad while playing, and I can charge on the positive side if it's plugged in while playing. Just my experience and something to consider. I wish you all the best.

Jupitaloo
09-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Make sure you are using the Apple brand recharger plugged into the wall and not USB. I find I still gain battery charge while playing with no savings enabled on a 3GS

Fac3bon3s
09-15-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm using 2nd gen Iphone 3g. It's almost 2 years old now. And I am using the apple wall charger. I guess I will just tough it out for now until November when I get my upgrade.

octavos
09-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Last night when playing the new expansion with some guild mates I noticed that my battery was dying quicker than with any other zone and quicker than it ever did with PL. I plugged my phone in and let it charge to 50% and tried to resume play. While my phone was plugged in and charging it died while playing SL. So the game is draining my battery faster than my phone can charge. How is this even possible? It takes 1 hour to fully charge my phone. Yet I can play PL for 3 hours at full battery. And was able to play SL for 2-2.5 hours before the update.

edit: I also have my screen brightness turned down to 30% and have no background apps going or any location controls on.

ok, my tip android xperia play :D, is to turn off 3g and use wifi while its plugged in.... i played like this yesterday....still had full battery when I was done.
its not mobile, since im pluged in....but it helps if you don't have a second battery. Xperia Play btw :p

Navygreen
09-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Maybe it's something goin on behind the scenes in the game now that somehow is requiring more power, data or system resources which cause your battery to drain faster? Maybe something involving the connection between your device and the servers? Anything could be possible or it could just be your imagination. If this is true though, it'll be interesting to find out what.

My experience though with Android is that batteries die SUPER FAST and take FOREVER to recharge. But just my experience.

bronislav84
09-15-2011, 01:29 PM

ok, my tip android xperia play :D, is to turn off 3g and use wifi while its plugged in.... i played like this yesterday....still had full battery when I was done.
its not mobile, since im pluged in....but it helps if you don't have a second battery. Xperia Play btw :pWiFi requires you having WiFi in your house or free WiFi in your area though. Not all of us have that luxury man.

StompArtist
09-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Okay silly thing but it did affect my battery life quite a bit. Turn the GPS feature off on your device.

CanonicalKoi
09-15-2011, 02:08 PM
WiFi requires you having WiFi in your house or free WiFi in your area though. Not all of us have that luxury man.

I had to giggle since I have the opposite problem--no cell service where I live. :D

Orcish
09-15-2011, 02:17 PM
I wasn't going to go into each power saving method but since we're going down that route. Most devices get a false battery read when a device is in use or is powered on, especially older devices. It's recommended you do the following; 1.Charge your device to full while it's on. 2. Power down your device. 3. Unplug charger until charging indicator (normally a light) turns off. 4. Plug in your charge and wait until the fully charged light comes on (takes a bit). Repeat steps 3 & 4 x2 in series. 5. Turn on your device and enjoy the huge gain in power longevity. If I do this I get an extra 1-2 hours depending what I'm doing. Many newer laptops have to do the same thing but normally there is software which "calibrates" the battery.

bronislav84
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
WiFi requires you having WiFi in your house or free WiFi in your area though. Not all of us have that luxury man.

I had to giggle since I have the opposite problem--no cell service where I live. :DUm, wow. I do wish I had WiFi to use. Got my first two lag spike deaths since the k/d reset yesterday, almost one after the other. :( I do think it's the server and not my Edge though. We only have Edge AKA 2g here, and 4g. No 3g, and 4g doesn't reach into my house so I'm always playing on max bars of 2g unless I'm outside where I get steady 4g signal.

I'm over the leaderboard since too many players now, but I still hate deaths and they make me sad. Sad enough that I put it as my Facebook status last night. Whoever gets me killed ingame, you can bet I won't be happy with them lol.

Fac3bon3s
09-15-2011, 08:15 PM
I find I get no better ping using wifi over my 3g network. Its more stable using wifi. But not by much. But my ping when playing PL never rose above maybe 500. In SL it can go as high as 2000. Huge spikes. Usually when a large battle is in progress.