PDA

View Full Version : Quest flow suggestion

Evl1312
09-17-2011, 06:33 PM
I noticed that there aren't limitations in sections based on quests. It's not very wise to make a whole area open to the player when a certain quest has not been done.

Example: I defeated the miner (with the help of my lvl 30 guild master) in Delta 7, when that wasn't my quest. My quest was to find the randomly down Cycorp agent. Which didn't end the level obviously because you have to beat a boss. A quest or two later and now I have to defeat the miner, which is near impossible because people keep leaving.

My idea is that when you beat a certain quest for a certain level (if you have any active quests) the level should end when you obtain the correct quest ender. It shouldn't be a loop of continous nonsense that makes you upset when you have to beat or obtain information for the second or even third time.

Gluttony
09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Yes, quests should definitely be worked on, but the system is loads better than PL since there are terminals that you can turn quests into at the beginning of the next level. It would flow much better if after a quest is completed mid level, it would lead to another quest. Finding the randomly down Cycorp agent should lead to completion of that quest on the spot and a letter should be found on that agent which could lead to defeating the boss of the stage. This could allow the player to continue in the string of event without break.

Using PL as an example of how things are broken, in any campaign in order to complete a quest one must travel back to town to turn quests in. So if you have a party that you're traveling with if you want to complete quests you have to leave the group, travel to town, turn in your completed quest, accept a new one, then join your party already in progress. It's a bit annoying if questing is your goal. In the old FH (before the revamp) it was more like how it should be, imo. You accepted quests from NPCs at the start or middle of a map and turned them in at the start of the next chapter. STS should go back to that formula, especially with quests that revolve around beating the bosses of each stage.

Sorry for using PL as an example in a SL thread, it was the easiest way to illistrate my point.

Cahaun
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Yes, quests should definitely be worked on, but the system is loads better than PL since there are terminals that you can turn quests into at the beginning of the next level. It would flow much better if after a quest is completed mid level, it would lead to another quest. Finding the randomly down Cycorp agent should lead to completion of that quest on the spot and a letter should be found on that agent which could lead to defeating the boss of the stage. This could allow the player to continue in the string of event without break.

Using PL as an example of how things are broken, in any campaign in order to complete a quest one must travel back to town to turn quests in. So if you have a party that you're traveling with if you want to complete quests you have to leave the group, travel to town, turn in your completed quest, accept a new one, then join your party already in progress. It's a bit annoying if questing is your goal. In the old FH (before the revamp) it was more like how it should be, imo. You accepted quests from NPCs at the start or middle of a map and turned them in at the start of the next chapter. STS should go back to that formula, especially with quests that revolve around beating the bosses of each stage.

Sorry for using PL as an example in a SL thread, it was the easiest way to illistrate my point.
Just thinking of the old FH (Forest Haven) makes me sad. I loved that quest formula. It kept linking the story between sections of dungeons and had a HUGE impact on me because there was a story in this. Now we are going to random areas when the main story was frogotten.