PDA

View Full Version : GUIDE: A breakdown of what makes a good tank,and how to fulfill that role effectively

skavenger216
09-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Hello everyone! This is my first guide, and a work in progress, so bear with me. :)

I have been playing SL since early beta, and PL since January. My main in both is a tank. After being asked by many ppl to teach them how I play my commando, I have decided to write this guide, in the hopes that it will help people understand their role as a tank. With that knowledge, I hope to also help them play their commando to its maximum potential.

As a tank, your main purposes are two things: crowd control, and holding enemies aggro so your squishier teammates can do their jobs. I will explain how to do both of these things later in the guide, but first, here is the build i recommend, and find quite effective at both maintaining aggro and dealing respectable damage.

Stat Point allotment:

Go with a mix consisting of mostly strength, with a little dex thrown in. At level 30, my points are distributed 111 into str, 42 into dex.

Skill Build:

Force hammer - 3 pts - useful for doing extra damage and helping maintain aggro on bosses, due to its taunt effect.

Singularity - 1 pt - I use this instead of neutron stomp for my knockdown, because when used after pulling enemies to a wall, the added pushback effect effectively pins enemies to walls. Also used to set up the self combo with back breaker. Only one point because I use it for its effect, not its damage.

Graviton Slam - 5 pts - one of the more important skills, does decent aoe damage along with taunting multiple targets.

Increase Mass - 4 pts - increases your defense for a bit, useful when pulling a large group, or when your health gets low on a boss, to give engineers time to heal you back up. I find even only at lvl4, it adds adequate armor for any area of the game.

Kinetic reservoir - 1 pt - use it when you run low on mana for a slight boost in mana regen. Also has a slight additional buff at the end of the mana regen buff.

Gravity Well - max, 6 pts - another hugely important skill, it pulls your enemies towards you. When used while standing against a wall, pulls all enemies into a clean group on one spot of the wall. Also taunts, helping generate aggro.

Nebula - 3 pts - does decent aoe damage, which helps hold aggro on bigger groups of enemies.

Backbreaker - max, 6 pts - does amazing damage, and when used while an enemy is knocked down ( from singularity or neutron stomp ) creates a combo, increasing its damage. Taunts also.

Skills not used, and why:

Neutron stomp - prefer singularity for my knockdown attack, due to its added pushback effect.

Vigor - unnecessary, imo. With a decent engineer, I rarely have to ever use a health stim. Points are better spent elsewhere.

Growing mass - with this skill build, you will do decent damage. Crit is unnecessary, you are there to take aggro and control mobs, leave the nukeing for the operatives, they are better at it anyways. :)

And now on to how to play this build. You will want to be in front of the pack, at all times. It's a lot easier to get the inital aggro and maintain it, than it is to let someone else get it and try to steal it back. Be aggressive, you have the armor for it! Also, use the heavy weapon that corresponds with your level. It seems like they do lower damage, based on stats, but it causes splash damage, damaging enemies near your target as well.

Here is how, ideally, a pull should go:

You, the commando, pop nebula and increase mass, and run into the group of enemies. Hit auto attack, and run to the nearest wall. The combination of nebula doing aoe damage, and your weapon doing aoe damage, should give you good initial aggro, causing enemies to fixate on you and follow you. When you get to the wall, use gravity well. When the enemies start being pulled towards the wall, step away from the group, and use graviton slam. This will give you tons of aggro on the mobs. IMMEDIATELY after using graviton slam, use singularity. This will knock down the enemies, and push them into the wall, effectively pinning them to it. When the enemies are knocked down, use back breaker, triggering a combo that should kill your target, if it isn't already dead! At this point, most enemies should be dead, and the remaining stragglers should be close to death. Leave your group to clean them up , and move to the next set of enemies. Rinse and repeat, and keep practicing, and you will start to get to a point where it seems like there is no crowd too big to hold aggro on!

With bosses, use a similar strategy, but mix in force hammer, doing this helps maintain aggro on the boss, along with doing some damage. When your health gets under 50%, use increase mass to boost your armor until an engineer can get you healed, or you can use a stim.

Before I end this, here is a couple more things to keep in mind:

If you have good aggro on a whole group of enemies, but there is one enemy that decides to run off and start attacking one of your teammates, manually target them and use force hammer. You should regain aggro on them.

Always, always pop nebula before pulling larger groups of enemies, as it will help you hold aggro on them much easier than without it.

Use kinetic reservoir whenever your mana drops below 75% for the slight mana regen boost.

I personally like to switch to a rifle when fighting bosses, as the higher single target DPS helps kill the boss faster, and maintain aggro better.

In closing, I would like to thank everyone for reading this! I truly hope you enjoyed it, and learned from it, and I am looking forward to your feedback! Also, if you need a guide for operative, be sure to check out Ebalere's amazing guide in the operative section!

Nourish
09-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Nice guide, the only thing I don't agree with is the 4 in increase mass. It doesn't seem like it benefits with the reduction of all that dodge/crit I think.

GigaBits
09-20-2011, 05:12 PM
Hey skav, nice looking build. I had heard you were going to be throwing these up and I'm glad to have another opinion as I consider my tanking/ commando-ing to be one of weaker points.

As for comment, all I can say is I don't understand why you need force hammer and graviton slam. Does the single target generate more aggro than the aoe taunt? If not then I would think the aoe should take priority. Honestly, I tend toward a aoe damage spec than pure tank but I'd really like to know because I want to be able to tank if needed.

Thanks again!

skavenger216
09-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Hey skav, nice looking build. I had heard you were going to be throwing these up and I'm glad to have another opinion as I consider my tanking/ commando-ing to be one of weaker points.

As for comment, all I can say is I don't understand why you need force hammer and graviton slam. Does the single target generate more aggro than the aoe taunt? If not then I would think the aoe should take priority. Honestly, I tend toward a aoe damage spec than pure tank but I'd really like to know because I want to be able to tank if needed.

Thanks again!

I use force hammer mostly for added aggro on bosses, and to regain aggro on any stragglers that leave my enemy grouping due to aggro loss.

GigaBits
09-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Right, I totally get that, using it as an added aggro pull. I just never seem to need it, if I have aggro then lose it one of the two(singularity or graviton slam) is always off cooldown anyway. Of course, I don't see anywhere else for those points to go to improve upon this builld, so maybe it's just as well.

Actually, on second thought, I do kind of see...sorry this just occured to me as I type XD if I see something fly away from me it was probably an op dropping lurch, so having FH, I could target and get him back on me or just smash him with FH. There goes two more plat...maybe =)

arischal
09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Why points in Dex though?

skavenger216
09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Why points in Dex though?

A slight boost in hit, that extra couple hit, imo, makes a noticeable difference in the effectiveness of attacks

StompArtist
09-21-2011, 04:13 PM
Never mind... asked a question already answered.

Register
09-21-2011, 06:02 PM
I like the guide, however, I dont use a similar build. But the title is waaaay too long XD

I liked the damage on backbreaker when i tried it and decided to put some points in it. Force hammer is just for comboing with whatever class combos with it (cant remember XD) and taunt. I have 5/6 singularity for good damage. 2 stomp for knockdown. You can combo REALLY fast if you use stomp and backbreaker. I have kiniteic resevior at 5 because im anti pot. 5 vigor was necesaary when cap was 26 but now im thinking of dropping it for backbreaker. 6 gravity well is awesome. 0 in all buffs. Crit doesnt seem too great, armor isnt necessary, blah blah blah... I want a dodge buff!!!!!

lol

Ebalere
09-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Nice guide Skav, +1. Very clear, concise, and a well thought out build.

Gunfu
09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Very effective tank and aggro keeping build period.

skavenger216
09-21-2011, 07:59 PM
I like the guide, however, I dont use a similar build. But the title is waaaay too long XD

I liked the damage on backbreaker when i tried it and decided to put some points in it. Force hammer is just for comboing with whatever class combos with it (cant remember XD) and taunt. I have 5/6 singularity for good damage. 2 stomp for knockdown. You can combo REALLY fast if you use stomp and backbreaker. I have kiniteic resevior at 5 because im anti pot. 5 vigor was necesaary when cap was 26 but now im thinking of dropping it for backbreaker. 6 gravity well is awesome. 0 in all buffs. Crit doesnt seem too great, armor isnt necessary, blah blah blah... I want a dodge buff!!!!!

lol

I want a dodge buff too, lol. I would totally drop increase mass in favor of a dodge buff.

Shadowie
09-21-2011, 08:07 PM
+1

I been running with skav for a while in slouch. Not sure about commando skill issue, but running with him is always a breeze! Action prove better than words. :D

Weagledan
09-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Great guide Scav - thanks

-Genesis

Ebalere
09-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Great guide Scav - thanks

-Genesis

Washington capitals fan??