PDA

View Full Version : How Merchants Contribute Value

stevieoopsie
09-21-2011, 12:36 AM
As you may know the merchanting (trading) industry has been rapidly growing in Pocket Legends. I've read through some posts lately and found that some people do not seem to understand much about the roles that merchants (traders) play in an economy (Yes pocket legends is an economy itself!) and question the value they bring to the community. Some who have expressed an interest in becoming an merchant are concerned that profiting by reselling items instead of working to produce more is unethical and therefore a profession to be despised by the community. Being a merchant (trader) myself in both Pocket Legends and real life (I have been working on the buy side of the investment industry for years), I thought it would be helpful to kind of provide an analysis of the industry's value from an economic perspective to defend its reputation. It is my firm belief that merchanting is not only an ethical profession, but also a productive one.

What is merchanting?

In essence, merchants buy items from sellers and resell them to buyers at a higher price, aiming to profit from the price difference. For example, if you purchase a custom hat from your neighbor for 100k and resell to your girlfriend for 200k, you've pocketed 100k in pure profits.

What does this mean for the economy as a whole?

To understand the value of merchanting as an industry to the overall economy, you must first know a critical economic concept brought up by Adam Smith in his book "Wealth of Nations", and that is the specialization of labor. Wal-mart, for example, is a perfect example of a merchant. It buys goods from it's suppliers - coke, P&G, Dell computers and so on. Wal-mart profits by buying these products at a low cost and reselling at a higher price by marking them up.

In pocket legends, the so-called merchants are the Wal-marts and Costcos of the game community. Many of you perhaps do not know, but most of the merchant buying occurs in the "black market", not the auction house. This is because items on the auction are actively traded and any time a good deal jumps up a clever merchant will pick it up immediately, leaving very little room for other merchants to react. This in finance is called market efficiency. For those of you who are interested, search up the "efficient market hypothesis" on Wikipedia. Anyhow, no markets are completely efficient but are all efficient to a certain degree.

The "black market" on the other hand, is not very efficient. This is because there is a significant barrier to entry in the auction house market - slots. Slots need to be purchased with platinum, and therefore most players do not have more than 1. In the "black market", you have a massive number of players who have items they need to sell but cannot do so via auction due to the barrier to entry. Relative to these sellers, there are relatively few people who will buy their items because most buyers go to the auction house for purchases, without any barrier to entry.

This means that there is a massive mismatch between supply and demand in the black market, which constitutes most of the economy. And the reason I brought up specialization of labor, is that most players without auction slots will specialize in farming, as they are not as capable as those with slots when it comes to DISTRIBUTING their products. Most of you know that this is true because you often see these sellers selling their items in the private market for much less the cs price- for them, it is simply not worth the time to try to market their items outside the auction and farming generates a much better return even means they have to sell their items at a lower price.

This is when merchants come into play. Most successful merchants have at least 30, 40 slots, hardcore ones like me own as many as 200-300. By having the slots, we can buy items from people without slots and resell them on auction at a profit. We SPECIALIZE in distribution. So you can see that for both the farmer and merchants, returns and profits are maximized or at least perceived to be maximized. Farmers can generate a higher return doing what they are good at - producing than trying to get a higher price for their products because distribution is something they are bot good at.

Producers (farmers) get 3 benefits when outsourcing the distribution to merchants:

Value of Time- does it generate better returns for farmers to farm? Or to try to sell their existing items in the private market at auction prices? Items in the auction already take an average 10 hours to sell, how long do you think it will take for farmers to sell their inventory at full market price when they can only access a much smaller buyer base? (a farmer yelling in Towne can access up to 24 buyers, an item placed in auction can be seen by hundreds of buyers at the same time). Selling their inventory to merchants and FOCUSING on farming is a much profitable way to go for these farmers.

Market risk- by outsourcing distribution to merchants, farmers can also transfer to them the risk that the items may not sell. This means that if they dont, merchants will lose money by paying commissions to put them back onto the auction again. The suppliers don't have to and have already sold their items to the merchant for cash.

More Opportunity Cost- being able to get immediate cash for their items means that farmers will not have too much money tied up in inventory. If you have a background in management accounting you know that it is always better to have cash rather than working capital. You get 0 returns on your working capital, but can get returns investing your cash.

On the economy as a whole

Consumers (buyers)- Since it is unprofitable for producers (farmers) to spend time distributing their items in the black market, they simply won't. This means a lot of the supply is not provided to the economy. Having merchants deliver the supply to the economy means higher supply, which translates into lower prices for consumers. I personally buy items from black market farmers at 30% -70% discounts to the auction and sells them on the auction at a 15%-40% discount to the lowest auction price. This translates into significant savings for buyers. With more supply circulating in the market, more demand is met and thus translating into higher utility for buyers as a group.

Merchants (intermediaries) - merchants make money off of the mark up in price. Do note that it is possible for merchants to lose money- sometimes when they mark up the prices too high items simply don't sell and drop in prices. Many merchants lose money because they do not demand a high enough margin for error when it comes to getting their supply for cheap enough. But overall as a group merchants do benefit.

Sellers (farmers) - farmers benefit by transferring the three things I mentioned above to intermediaries and focusing on what they do best - farming! Should merchants get paid for distributing items for farmers and transferring the risks? Absolutely.

Markets themselves- markets become more efficient over time because of merchants! This translates into higher liquidity, which makes it cheaper to trade and easier to unload positions and price stability, which you may not agree with but is largely happening on an overall level. Numerous economics papers have been published in the past 2 decades or so on the effects of financial intermediaries on financial markets, all of which lead to the conclusion that they produce higher liquidity, which makes trading less costly for participants and more price efficiency.

Conclusion: as I have described above, merchanting as an industry brings net benefits to ALL parties involved in the trading of items. This is not only a real life case but applies to all economies, even virtual ones like Pocket Legends. In fact, most economists who have studied intermediaries and their roles in the development of markets would tell you that merchants and traders alike (the real life example of which would be retailers like walmart and amazon, investment banks and securities exchanges, trading firms like Bunge and Cargill and much much more) have played an absolutely pivotal role in the growth of economies that they may have contributed more value to the economy than the producers and buyers (direct participants) themselves!

Trollee
09-21-2011, 12:45 AM
Wow. Great insight. I have learnt a lot on how it all works and hopefully ill become a better merchant because of it !

Thanks!

stevieoopsie
09-21-2011, 12:52 AM
Welcome. Merchanting is a profession to be proud of. I hope more people can see this article so the industry gets a better image in the community

Driazsomethingiforgot
09-21-2011, 03:43 AM
Not to hate on your post but to me (I am a merchant myself) I see merchs are the middle man. Just buying things from people who are either selling in bulk at a discount or buying from someone who is in need if gold now. I dont think were really good for the PL economy because we are simply buying something for its real worth and inflating the price so we can make a profit. And the more people wise up to our ways the more they will stop buying from cs and just sit in the CS and spam untill they get a good offer on the thing they want. Well at lease thats how I was at lease.

Redbridge
09-21-2011, 03:46 AM
What an amazing insight... Thank you very much...

I would love you to further explain your understanding on a couple of points though.

Firstly you say "This means that there is a massive mismatch between supply and demand in the black market, which constitutes most of the economy". Does this mean you THINK or KNOW that the black market contributes most of the economy. Is this 'most' financially or keeping it moving or something else? I'd love to know what you base this on.

Secondly, considering everything you've said, what part do ethics play in all this. With the big hypermarkets, ethics can become less important as the drive for financial margins is chased. Do you think ethics is an important part of the PL economy?

Thanks again for the thread.... Sweet read.

Navygreen
09-21-2011, 07:22 AM
I like this. Thanks!

Edit: After reading again (interesting read, btw), I thought to myself.. Now how in the world do the farmers who supply these merchants get connected with an actual merchant? Wouldn't it be cool if the 'Merchant' were an actual class or a role played in the game so that they can be identified and sold to? Anyway, thanks again!

Evolt
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Wow you are amazing...thx for your effort!

CS without merchants is an uncontrolled market. One of the jobs that merchants do is to control the market prices of items listed and making sure that no items are sold unrealistically 'undervalued'. Without merchants, players would often just undercut prices trying get rig of their items. When merchants are inplace, they would buy anything that is undervalued and relist the items at 'market value'. Without a standardized market value shared among merchants, prices in CS would be way out of control. Of course, merchants do have some 'power' to control the market prices, but it also based on supply and demand. Under a 'controlled' market, players are actually more beneficial and can sell their items at higher prices, compared to a market without governing (merchants).

Merchants are not just middleman, the importance of merchants in any markets are often ignored. Although gold making is the primary objective, merchants' job is to govern and control the market. The time and effort merchants spend in the market should be more appreciated. Btw, I know lots of merchants give most of what they make away to help others.

drewcapu
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
In essence, merchants buy items from sellers and resell them to buyers at a higher price, aiming to profit from the price difference. For example, if you purchase a custom hat from your neighbor for 100k and resell to your girlfriend for 200k, you've pocketed 100k in pure profits.

In this case, when your girlfriend discovers what you did to her, your neighbor becomes your new girlfriend!

Aikiebo
09-21-2011, 11:15 AM
This truely an amazing post. It is really good to see it.

Sometimes the role of the market place in mmorpgs is not understood or taken for granted. I once saw a college extention course being taught using EQ's market to teach real life market analysis and investment strategies.

Anyways, great job!

Aikiebo
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
I like this. Thanks!

Edit: After reading again (interesting read, btw), I thought to myself.. Now how in the world do the farmers who supply these merchants get connected with an actual merchant? Wouldn't it be cool if the 'Merchant' were an actual class or a role played in the game so that they can be identified and sold to? Anyway, thanks again!

That would be cool. In other games, various shades of merchanting is an official class. Morrowwind and Eve Online comes to mind. There are probably others.

Aikiebo
09-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow you are amazing...thx for your effort!

Merchants are not just middleman, the importance of merchants in any markets are often ignored. Although gold making is the primary objective, merchants' job is to govern and control the market. The time and effort merchants spend in the market should be more appreciated. Btw, I know lots of merchants give most of what they make away to help others.

This is so right. It may sometimes easy for the role of merchants to be taken for granted. But, if you have ever played a game where RMT has taken over, then you'd be able to see the importance of merchants.

Aikiebo
09-21-2011, 11:35 AM
In this case, when your girlfriend discovers what you did to her, your neighbor becomes your new girlfriend!

lol

stevieoopsie
09-21-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi Redbridge,

Thanks. Now to answer your questions, first consider the auction house and the private market to be two separate markets, the auction house is supplied by those who can - people with auction slots. Most people have only one as they choose not to spend real money to expand their capacity. Some have more and are able to distribute their inventory through this channel.

For those without slots, everything that is left unsold can be treated as excess supply that they cannot distribute efficiently and must be distributed through an intermediary. What I mean when I say that the black market is a larger part of the economy is that the excess supply traded off auction (that includes you buying a Demon claw from a lvl20 for 2k) amount to more transactions than auction house transactions. This will gradually change when the two economies become more "integrated" through merchants, in which the merchants will help distribute private excess supply in the auction house. I personally buy an average 150 items on an given day when I'm actively trading from the private market. Have I not done so, many of these items will continue to float in the private market as excess supply.

On ethics, it all depends on what your values are. I made the case for why merchants are not unethical. But in my view, merchanting, which helps and results in a net gain for all parties involved in the economy, is indeed an ethical profession. Traditionally, in finance, being ethical means that you are able to chase your profits through hard work and not through deception (Bernie Madoff?). To expand using my personal experience, I think as long as your activities do not result in an "externality", in which you harm a third party, you are ethical.

stevieoopsie
09-21-2011, 12:11 PM
@Navy,

Good suggestion! I think though what really connects farmers with merchants is the "profit incentive" on the parts of both parties, as farmers want to maximize returns by wholesaling their products to merchants and merchants want to maximize returns by marking up the prices of the products.

Redbridge
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Wicked. Thanks for the responses....

Very very insightful.... Many Thanks.

stevieoopsie
09-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Welcome sir, sorry was trading with someone couldn't find you again.

ttrippy
10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
very helpfull :) thx alot for expaining

Ks_Leon
10-05-2013, 09:09 PM
dat necro......lol

Caiahar
10-05-2013, 09:52 PM
dat necro......lol
Its still useful I believe.

Schnitzel
10-05-2013, 11:48 PM