PDA

View Full Version : Lag Spikes

Growwle
09-21-2011, 01:32 PM
I have noticed that my lag fluctuates depending on what people are in my party, does SL try to compensate / normalize lag for group members that have different latencies?

Wysee
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
How do you mean depending on the people? You mean whether they are from different locations or not?

Growwle
09-21-2011, 02:04 PM
How do you mean depending on the people? You mean whether they are from different locations or not?

Yes, obviously most of the time the people in a random dungeon are from different locations and therefore would have different latency. I personally notice a big difference in my ping when I play solo and in a group, some groups more than others. This is not related to my graphics issues, since the graphics are not choppy when my latency is low.

Wysee
09-21-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a similar issue with lagspikes. Although, mine occur while playing alone as well in a group. The graphics are left untouched though.

Growwle
09-25-2011, 05:53 PM
These lag spikes are more infuriating than the graphics issues I was having. I play on a 3g connection and my lag fluctuates from 140 ping to 1500+ and back during a mission, it is like playing stop-motion. I have every background and data push option disabled and I have deleted every non-essential app I can. Some days my lag is smooth, but it has become increasingly worse and I am nowhere near my carrier's "data hog" limit (BS breach of contract on an unlimited data plan in my opinion, but that is another issue).

Blakout
09-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Well if u compare the engine sl has to the one pl has, they are very different. PL's is designed to have more people because during the time when sl was only for android users, PL had alot more people. I recently when on PL and i saw that the usual 2000 ppl on was no at about 1300 so i think sts thought that most people would keep playing PL and not switch to SL but i think they might have predicted wrong. These lag spikes could be the cause of the lag spikes. I MIGHT be wrong, but i dont know if i am. Hope this help <3

ooommmggg
09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
ohhhh i get it now

Blakout
09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Dont totally rely on my theory i could be wrong but im pretty sure its correct.

Growwle
09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I had assumed it was on my end and not a lack of bandwidth on the server end. That would explain the more stable ping at certain times of the day.

Growwle
09-26-2011, 12:25 AM
Lag cleared up about 10:33 PM PST. Must be a cosmic singularity, lol. Who knows, if the server load theory is correct then it should be bad again tomorrow.