PDA

View Full Version : I know it's only loot but...

Furrawn
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Playing Oasis with this new Boss Drop change is not to my liking at all:(
I just played four lvls of oasis... For all of us that played, there were a total of two GREEN drops (meaning two people each got green ONE time)... ALL the rest of the BOSS drops were yellow and WHITE! Lots of WHITE. Why? I understand not giving out more than one pink and a couple of purples per lvl... But this?

I don't want to buy my gear from a farmer. I have four characters. I should be able to get my gear myself. Or at least be able to trade for it. But, the boss drops are trash now:(

Am I a poor player because I don't like this?

Banned
06-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Bmc, v5, and I just went through all of Alien Oasis. The drop rates are terrible. We were lucky to have two purps drop throughout the whole run.

Cascade
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I agree. The drops are horrible! The devs should have lowered them a little bit but they lowered them WAY to much.

Obliteration
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
I agree. The drops are horrible! The devs should have lowered them a little bit but they lowered them WAY to much.

Yeah it's because people bitch to much and I'm leaving forum particularly because of this. Yet you still flame me.

Obliteration
06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
It's what we've done to our selves, we weren't happy when the drop rates were low. So the devs put them high, which made me happy but I'm a normal person while all the others still weren't pleased and complained again.

bmc85uk
06-25-2010, 04:01 PM
I feel bad for the devs, they didn't quite nail it, luckily there's plenty about already, hopefully people won't pump the prices too badly.

But yeah, one whole oasis campaign from start to finish produced loads of grey/white/orange, a few green and two purple.

Azrael
06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
The issue isn't the drop rate imho.

The problem is that every time a new campaign is released, the drop rate is ridiculously high, and they slowly spend the next 1-2 weeks nerfing it down. All the hardcore players get a ton of pinks early on and max there level. Not only do we have nothing to do at that point, but then the devs nurf the drop rate which gives even less of a reason to go into a dungeon. On top of that the economy is initially flooded with pink items which lowers the value of everything, and then the drop nerf makes it so that players who don't have the gear have to pay high prices to get the items they weren't lucky enough to get there hands on in the first 1-5 days of release.

I don't care what the drop rate is anymore. Just start with consistency. if anything the drop rates should be REALY LOW AT FIRST, and then slowly raise them. Honestly its just common sense.

bmc85uk
06-25-2010, 04:02 PM
It's what we've done to our selves, we weren't happy when the drop rates were low. So the devs put them high, which made me happy but I'm a normal person while all the others still weren't pleased and complained again.

You make it sound like it was better left alone, things had to be changed, people will always moan, but it doesn't mean we aren't greatful they actually tried to do it right, even if they failed (this time anyway)

v5point0
06-25-2010, 04:08 PM
The people who complained before about the generous drop rate had pretty much everything they need already and are mostly farmers. Why listen to them, when there are others who enjoy the drop rate.

bmc85uk
06-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Haha, I don't think we'll ever see eye to eye on this one.

But I think 99% of people would agree (even if they never got to enjoy the high drop rate) that before it was way too high, and now it's too low.

flaimdude
06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Hm. Maybe if they bumped it back up to .5x the likeliness, instead of .2x, I think it would be better. :) Aka cut it in half instead of in fifths.

smokester
06-25-2010, 04:26 PM
i dont think they can have a drop rate in the middle.. just have it the way it was in the swamps... it was good then not a lot of ppl were complaining and the economy was booming i made tons of money selling pinks

Furrawn
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, halfway would be good, Flaim...
What's the swamp drop rate?
Maybe Azrael is right- start out with lower percentage pink drops...
Or find a middle ground & keep it there...
I do have some pinks- but they are almost all from Furrawn who hit lvl 40 the first night the Oasis campaign came out...
Just like Azrael said...

If I was just now trying to lvl my FIRST char to 40, I'd be banging my head in frustration...
No, wait...
I still am... :D

Tavore
06-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I do think the drop rates are a bit to low right now. Haven't gotten anything but whites from a boss now..

bmc85uk
06-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Have a look at this and put your ideas forward, lets try to come to some common ground.

Uniform loot droprate thread (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?3759-Uniform-droprate-for-bosses)

:)

tjornan
06-25-2010, 09:37 PM
ya... more than swamps but less than before

TrogZ
06-26-2010, 06:55 AM
People bitch when pinks dropped too often, people bitch when they don't drop at all. Who cares, deal with it.

P.S: Instead of complaining about pinks dropping like a fat kid on a chocolate bar I rolled with the high drop rate and now i can outfit x10 toons with max gear if I had to. Yay me.

bmc85uk
06-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I think the whole point is that STS want and need our feedback, and at the end of the day, even whining is feedback.

Furrawn
06-26-2010, 05:51 PM
I think the whole point is that STS want and need our feedback, and at the end of the day, even whining is feedback.

I agree...

And Trog-
If you didn't have all the gear already, you couldn't get it without buying it... Would that bother you?

I don't think I should have to buy gear if I play a lot (except for maybe a very few super rare items) :( Why do I want to play a whole campaign and the huge boss kills that are hard work give me just a white trash drop?

I enjoy playing through campaigns and having the added reward of slowly building up my gear.... But now that's not really possible...

I just wonder how if the folks who complain about the drop rates being too high are often the ones who sell pinks? Less avail drives up market price?

IDK. It seems like there should be a halfway point between boss drops being too much & too little where most folks would be happy. I just know that I've stopped playing Oasis for now. I'm actually a farmer- I still like playing the oasis levels through- but the boss drops are just crazy worthless... Right now I'd be playing to suit up for the next campaign. With the current horrible boss drops, I cannot do that even if I play a lot... So I'm working on a baby character to get away from all the clamoring and fighting that seems to happen after the newest campaign is out for a couple of weeks... I'm going to be happy to play in Fathom & Lost Ex w/ my baby char:)

Mahk
06-29-2010, 02:24 PM
I think drop rates should be low and frustrating, the all pink-geared Lvl 40 (or capped toon) should be rare. You should have to work hard to get either enough gold to buy elite gear or get a lucky drop....

yes, this favors the constant gamers over the casual players, and I'm cool with that.

Sure, I have 3/4 of pinks on my level 40 -- and I see that as a lil reward for the early adopters, don't nerf me! But as critical mass builds up over the next few months, I'd prefer seeing less elite geared toons -- so that it means something when one joins your party, their impact is felt.

Sure, this means my next two characters will be weaker, but hey, that's part of the fun too, leveling up a toon without all the elite gear -- or having to farm with my 40 incessantly to try and buy or find that gear.

And sure, I'm smackin myself right now thinking about all the pinks and purples I've junked over the past few weeks!

Silentreaper
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
People, are you serious? This is what makes a game, it being challenging. Havnt to work for the best gears should always be how it goes. Personally I think that killing th drop rates will make people appreciate all the good drops they get not just throw them away and ask to try and give away as lottery gifts, everyone having the same pinks is what kills the economy. Making it where it is really hard and time consuming is how they will stabilize the prices and make it where these so called "legendary" items are actually legendary, not just another item that eveyone gets or can farm for in less than an hr. We should be happy that it's so hard to get these. I also think it will help pull together the groups and guilds and allow people to work together not solo everything, mmos are about teamwork and playing in an online enviroment where ppl can play together, if I wanted another rpg where I soloed everything and didn't interact with ppl, one where I got all the good drops, I would just go google one. This is where teamwork is formed. And for the bosses being hard, good! It will bring together the people that for teamwork to bring them down, no just a few combos to nuke them dead. Do y'all understand what I'm saying?

Esus
06-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Any economy that requires 50-100k gold for one item is a bad economy, I agree that the only ppl that really complain about the drop rates being too high are the gold hungry traders. Seariously, last months drop rates and the ensuing cheap item prices was awesome. The game isn't so much fun when you have to spend countless hours grinding away for loot only to just get crap and more crap from every boss. This game has been built for the casual players and then it is now almost on the verge of failure due to the constant changes demanded by those players who clearly have nothing better to do than play the game all day every day.

Spudboy
06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
People, are you serious? This is what makes a game, it being challenging...<snip> ....Do y'all understand what I'm saying?

I think that's good logic, if STS's goal is to have another one more MMO, but on new platforms. Then I think you're on the right track. Working with guild mates, teamwork, grind-work, farming-work, auction-work, that all works well toward that goal.
If, however their goal is to attract the casual player for a month or two, and then see them move on after a fun, satisfying experience, then I'd say loosen up the rewards.
I personally prefer the casual style, knowing full well I can go get addicted to another MMO with better graphics, gameplay, community, accessories, etc. anytime if I really want to spend hours/days/years building a community, farming, researching to the detriment of my other hobbies.

My vote's to keep it casual, keep it light, keep the rewards flowing.

Except, there is one key to the discussion completely missing.
Which group is more profitable? Which group will better fund STS's hours of labor? In an ocean of applications that keep game publishers poor and anonymous, which style is better suited to reward STS for their efforts? I have no clue. After all it's only the loot drops we give them that count in the end.

Mahk
06-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I think that's good logic, if STS's goal is to have another one more MMO, but on new platforms. Then I think you're on the right track. Working with guild mates, teamwork, grind-work, farming-work, auction-work, that all works well toward that goal.
If, however their goal is to attract the casual player for a month or two, and then see them move on after a fun, satisfying experience, then I'd say loosen up the rewards.
I personally prefer the casual style, knowing full well I can go get addicted to another MMO with better graphics, gameplay, community, accessories, etc. anytime if I really want to spend hours/days/years building a community, farming, researching to the detriment of my other hobbies.

Hmmm! That's a pretty good point -- if you're really into this style of game, you're really not going to hang out in PL, you've already got WoW or something! That and no pinks in my first night of AO2 runs makes a compelling argument.... :p

And I'll wanna spend all my money trickin out my HOUSE when I get one!

Advance
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
Any economy that requires 50-100k gold for one item is a bad economy, I agree that the only ppl that really complain about the drop rates being too high are the gold hungry traders. Seariously, last months drop rates and the ensuing cheap item prices was awesome. The game isn't so much fun when you have to spend countless hours grinding away for loot only to just get crap and more crap from every boss. This game has been built for the casual players and then it is now almost on the verge of failure due to the constant changes demanded by those players who clearly have nothing better to do than play the game all day every day.

No.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.