PDA

View Full Version : User Interface Feedback

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 03:11 PM
If you have specific, constructive comments about the revised User Interface, please post them here.

Please only post your thoughts after playing. Also, please be specific. Saying you don't like something without being specific as to what you don't like isn't very helpful. If you provide specifics about what exactly you think, it's much more helpful and useable for us.

Thanks!

Yvonnel
09-23-2011, 03:17 PM
The quest available checkbox.

When my finger slides on the virtual joystick, I accidentally activate it (I have pretty large fingers).

Verizon Samsung Fascinate.

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 03:21 PM

When my finger slides on the virtual joystick, I accidentally activate it (I have pretty large fingers).

On which device are you playing on? Please include the device as there are different User Interfaces for different devices.

Skeletonlord
09-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Better than last version

StompArtist
09-23-2011, 03:28 PM
This interface is by far superior to the older interface.

There is one thing I really do not like it is the "exit level" button, too easy to click and I think this should be a "close menu" button instead, exit level should not be that easy to do and it is not very clear on how to close the menu overlay once it's up...

Playing on HTC Incredible

bronislav84
09-23-2011, 03:33 PM
I found a bug already. When you have the chat open you can scroll up but not down. The down arrow is missing for me. My Touch 4g.

Growwle
09-23-2011, 03:34 PM

On which device are you playing on? Please include the device as there are different User Interfaces for different devices.

I have the same problem on my DROID x2 Android v 2.3.3

WhoIsThis
09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
Thoughts and recommendations:

1. Emotes should be placed in the previous position for easy access.

2. Pots should be visible in town to see how many a player has on hand in case they need to get more.

3. Too easy to hit the quest button; lethal in pvp.

4. I gotta admit, I'm not too sold on this chat system.

Otherwise it looks usable. Perhaps the button to hide 8 skills could be switched with the emotes as it isn't used often unlike emotes which are.

Edit:

After playing with it some more, I'd strongly advocate the older set.

Hankomachos
09-23-2011, 03:35 PM
My only problem is the emote location. :(
I prefer it to be available, like right under the menu button. :)

bronislav84
09-23-2011, 03:43 PM
The quick chat is used often, and is just not thumb friendly where it is.

On small device screens the thumbs rest comfortably on the bottom left and right. Reaching for the chat and the quick chat where they are is inconvenient in a dungeon where often you don't have time to move your thumb three inches before you have to pot or heal.

The same thing as I said in SL and got no Dev replies. :(

krazii
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey Sam,

I have a question. Is there one layout for all devices? I play on IPad and have plenty of room for lot's of things, but I can imagine a phone might get crowded. I ask this because I don't want to ask for things if it's just not feasible. The new layout is okay, but again, on the Ipad, the joystick is in an very awkward place and IMO should be moved lower where my hand holds the ipad and is more accessible with my thumb. Also, I really enjoy using emotes in both PL and SL, but the current way of having to press two buttons to access the emotes is just unusable, is there a way they could be placed across the entire bottom of the screen and be there permanently (or an option to enable/disable?).

Thanks,

Yvonnel
09-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Somewhere there is a guide to using emotes without the emote button.....

Here it is.....

Use Emotes Without the Emote Button (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?21492-GUIDE-How-To-Use-Emotes-Without-the-Emote-Button.&highlight=emote)

Brought to you by AEO!!!!!!

Reggin
09-23-2011, 04:19 PM
Sam... Epic win when it comes to implementing the SL interface into PL, except the quest button being so close to joystick on my droid x.

Love that you guys took all the negative feedback about how annoying and intuitive having to switch skill bars is and how annoying managing cooldowns is in SL and left all skills visible in PL.

Any chance SL will get the same love in the near future?

Moogerfooger
09-23-2011, 04:32 PM

Verizon Samsung Fascinate.

I am already having this problem as well, just as in SL (with the old new quick chat icon being too close to the virtual joystick). Quest checkbox (a dislike ever since it popped up, personally...just more clutter on the screen) is very close to the virtual joystick on my iPhone 3GS.

Moogerfooger
09-23-2011, 04:33 PM

There is one thing I really do not like it is the "exit level" button, too easy to click and I think this should be a "close menu" button instead, exit level should not be that easy to do and it is not very clear on how to close the menu overlay once it's up...

Playing on HTC Incredible

Sorry, completely disagree. The old and not broken UI was far superior to this one. The squirrels also agree with me ;)

Flickz
09-23-2011, 04:37 PM

Playing on HTC Incredible I also use the incredible, my only major problems are the quest icon above the joystick and having to click the chat box to talk. Other then that i liked the emotes where they were and the new messaging system is great.

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 04:37 PM
We would ask that you please refrain from expressing your opinions and instead focus on concrete feedback, such as "if this button was moved slightly on this platform it would work better for me because..."

Thanks!

Zapoke
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
This is what I think about the new layout on my iPod touch 4G:

Positives-
- New menu looks better better then the last one.
- Can't accidentally turn skill page anymore.
- Have access to all "sections" of the menu without needing to navigate

Negatives-
- Emotes menu is to hard to get to now.
- Joystick stays visible in the menu.
- Dislike new spots for chat. More convenient before.
- Quest help box is in the way, sometimes.

Ideas
- Move emotions back.
- Make options to turn off quest help, and to put chat like before.

Hope this helps. O.o

RedRyder
09-23-2011, 04:51 PM
For chat, we can't scroll down since the skill is blocking it as shown in my attachment. Everything else seems kinda clumped together and easily pressed by accident. The UI is real different, but nothing that we can't get used to.

After those issues are fixed, that it'll be a vast improvement. Thanks for the crafting too (even though it's uncraftable ATM, but In time :p)

Suntv
09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Well Sam, here's my comment as an iPad user:

First of all the chat should be put back down on the screen, there we had 5 lines visible. Now it's on top with 1/3/9 lines. 3 chatlines vissible is too few to folow any chat. All lines (9 or so) take up to much visibility. With 9 chatlines you can't really look forward.

Second, the loss of an instant accessible emote menu in 2 stages is not so good. It takes too many clicks to get the menu up. Might be good to put that one back in the old position.

Third, if you click the menu-shield top left, you get these HUGE buttons that reflect avatar, world, exit, etc. Then if you click one you get the small (flatter) buttons. Why make an extra button layer? I'd suggest to put the old buttons back.

So basicly the update is great, except for the layout. In my study I did some research after "usability" of interfaces and programs. This might be a step back from where you guys were.

Hope you can use some of my input!

Moogerfooger
09-23-2011, 04:54 PM
We would ask that you please refrain from expressing your opinions and instead focus on concrete feedback, such as "if this button was moved slightly on this platform it would work better for me because..."

Thanks!

Ok, the quest check box on iOS is very close to the NW corner of the virtual joystick area. If it is here to stay, please slide it up along the left edge of the screen slightly to create more spacing with the edge of the joystick touch area. Or move it over to the right of the screen between the Auto icon and the skill expand book/button.

McBain
09-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Really the only issue I'm having is the quest checkbox right on top of the virtual joystick on Android. The emote menu had previously been in this location, and I disabled it because I was always accidentally hitting it at inopportune times. Beyond simply moving it somewhere else, having the option to hide the questbox would be an easy fix. I wouldn't miss it, but that's a personal preference.

Aikiebo
09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
I like the new layout a whole lot. It just gonna take some getting used to. The top is less cluttered and that's what I like about it the most.

Since there is an option to hide the emote button, could put it back on top and those that don't wnt it, they can hide it.

Really like.

Gluttony
09-23-2011, 05:13 PM
The major point of concern is the skill collapse/expand button (the spell book) is moved to overlap with the health pot section. That issue isn't in SL since the skill wheel botton is above the skills rather than at the bottom of the screen.

*This issue is noted on an iPhone and I don't know how they translate to iPod, iPad or Android.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4741/img1027.png

Also, the image for any combo elixir has a strange image:

The funky image for the combo elixir is an aftereffect of the upgrade. If you log out, double tap your iPhone's home button and force close the PL app and re-launch, all should be good. We're aware of this "after patch" funkiness and it's being worked on.

*Fixed

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 05:22 PM
The funky image for the combo elixir is an aftereffect of the upgrade. If you log out, double tap your iPhone's home button and force close the PL app and re-launch, all should be good. We're aware of this "after patch" funkiness and it's being worked on.

Lamchild
09-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Please move the emotes back because I like to do silly things during runs. Especially after hours of grinding and farming ;)

krazii
09-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Thanks!

1. Move the virtual joystick lower (down toward the bottom of the screen) such that if the bottom left corner of the Ipad is sitting in the palm of your hand you can comfortably reach the joystick with your thumb.

2. Have the option to place the emotes back on your main screen full time with a toggle arrow on the screen as before. This could be placed directly above the new location of the virtual joystick I proposed in 1.

3. Place the text back on the bottom of the screen with varying lines of display (1/3/5/9). That way we can use our thumb to select the text box and type a message and not have to take our hands off the device and touch the top of the screen.

Hope that helps,

Singleteddy
09-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Second, the loss of an instant accessible emote menu in 2 stages is not so good. It takes too many clicks to get the menu up. Might be good to put that one back in the old position. Have had a lot of time to get used to emotes in Star Legends, and I emote less than in Pocket Legends because the emotes are harder to get to. For example, waving hello was very common in Pocket Legends. I rarely do it and rarely see it in Star Legends.

On the other hand, the emotes in Pocket Legends used to be too easy to trigger. I would often accidentally hit an emote or, while turning, accidentally trigger the gesture for an emote. Of course, the latter can still occur.

Irulelol
09-23-2011, 06:22 PM
Im on an ipod 3g and theres some things i hate and like so it would be awsome to be able to switch between the old and new interface

Singleteddy
09-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Move the virtual joystick lower (down toward the bottom of the screen) such that if the bottom left corner of the Ipad is sitting in the palm of your hand you can comfortably reach the joystick with your thumb. Move the virtual joystick lower such that it's not in front of the dock connector, which has been a big inconvenience when playing with the iPad plugged in to avoid running out of power. But this was a problem with the old layout, too.

Piosidon
09-23-2011, 06:44 PM
I find the health and mana bars too small

DJMdivine
09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
The book for your spells are to close to the health potions. You could move it over slieghtly or put it back to the top right handed corner.

Ixillicus
09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
Two points:

1. I feel like the quest check box kinda gets in the way. I think the option to turn it off in the settings would make people feel better, or make it available in the same place as the mini-map etc.

2. The location of the spell-book (that makes your skills hide and show) is out of place on my iPhone. It's kinda over lapped by the health potions. Also, I keep hitting it when I try to use the potions. I think the toggle should be on the same place as the mini-map etc. And I feel that to make the toggle less needed on the main screen all the time, the skills should automatically hide when you open the keyboard to type a message.

WhoIsThis
09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
I think that one option would be to give players the option of which UI they want.

Ellyidol
09-23-2011, 07:04 PM
It's generally SL interface brought over to PL. Fortunately, I've been quite accustomed to the SL interface, so when introduced to PL it wasn't new.

I've come across quite a number of interface glitches though.

1. Can't scroll down the chat box. (iPhone at least). The skill icons in the map cover it.

2. Spellbook and Health Potion in PvE seem almost overlapped.

3. Emote menu icons get weird at times, sometimes an icon for a crafted item comes up instead of the emote icon.

4. In the notification page on the options, instead of an 'Elixir' toggle, it's still 'Enhancer'.

Gluttony
09-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Another point, the location of the notification bubble seems to overlap the chat history within a player's page.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5966/img1033g.png

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8193/img1034.png

Miguel Herbert
09-23-2011, 08:00 PM
:cower:put the quick chat button back please

Cytokinesis
09-23-2011, 08:10 PM
:cower:put the quick chat button back please
it is still there..... right next to the chat log

Gluttony
09-23-2011, 08:21 PM
it is still there..... right next to the chat log

Gluttony is a visual learner:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2526/img1036.png

Bwahahagirl
09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
The new interface is definitely going to take some getting used to, but I neeeeeed that chat box moved back with the same amount of lines as before. I had to ask 3 friends before I found out how to chat without using quick chat! XD

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 11:23 PM
Thank you all very much for the specific feedback and for taking the time to provide screenshots. This is every helpful. The team will be looking it over and making changes as necessary.

If there are other items that haven't been mentioned in the thread, please post with your specific example.

Cobraguy
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I find the health and mana bars too small
Definitely agree with this post. I died 4 times in sewers because of this.
I use a 7" Android Tablet and its still very small. Also agree to either give option to remove the checkbox or for it to be moved further up. I do like the notifications though, but could make better use of it if it was swapped with buff hide/unhide button.

I strayed from SL because of the new interface like this one.

Cobraguy
09-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Thank you all very much for the specific feedback and for taking the time to provide screenshots. This is every helpful. The team will be looking it over and making changes as necessary.

If there are other items that haven't been mentioned in the thread, please post with your specific example.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to the community. Makes me know that you care what players have to say about the game and how to make it a pleasant experience to play. You guys made the best mmo i have ever played and Im 30 years old and am still addicted even after 6+ months of playing :)

bronislav84
09-23-2011, 11:33 PM
The quick chat button, which you haven't commented on if it could be changed Sam? Please, if that button is moved to where it was it would be so much better because it's in the tiny space between the chat and the new gear icon on non-tablet devices.

Neither this nor the new touch chat to chat thing is thumb friendly. We have to drag our thumbs all the way to the top of the screen from the comfortable position on the bottom.

Kaarataka
09-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Samsung Galaxy tab 7" and Droid X2

1.) Emote button needs to be on the main screen and preferably toggle-able in options ( under the shield in the upper left would be perfect).
2.) I dislike the changes to chat buttons. Currently I can not direct my team properly in ctf/pvp matches.
a.) If you insist on keeping the chat system as is, please move it all to the bottom ( it could collapse down rather up like it currently does). Moving the skill hide button to the top would be fine since it is rarely used and it could also be toggle-able in options ( I never collapse my skills and I'm willing to bet most pvpers don't either).
b.) return it to how it was previously.

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
1.) Emote button needs to be on the main screen and preferably toggle-able in options ( under the shield in the upper left would be perfect).
2.) I dislike the changes to chat buttons. Currently I can not direct my team properly in ctf/pvp matches.
a.) If you insist on keeping the chat system as is, please move it all to the bottom ( it could collapse down rather up like it currently does). Moving the skill hide button to the top would be fine since it is rarely used and it could also be toggle-able in options ( I never collapse my skills and I'm willing to bet most pvpers don't either).
b.) return it to how it was previously.

Thanks for the feedback, Kaarataka. If you could, can you please include which device you are playing on. There are different versions of the UI for different devices (because they have different resolutions).

Haowesie
09-24-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Sam, just feedback...

* Chat stream
The position of the toon is slightly below centre allowing the player to look ahead at top of screen when going through maps, the chat stream (which is very useful) is obtrusive at the new top position.

* Options for screen clutter
There was an option to remove emot icon, joystick etc in the menu->options section which I thought was a better option for clearing screen clutter as it is customisable per user who may find it important or not.

The skill map that can be retracted and expanded is very useful. If screen real estate or clutter was being addressed, those would be very useful toggable options.

[edit]
Chat stream is not only obtrusive, but when I tap around that area to move my toon (because I don't use the joystick), it brings up the virtual keyboard.

Haowesie
09-24-2011, 12:12 AM
Oh, it would be nice also to be able to scroll through the chat stream without having to try and type a message.

I'm on an iPad.

JulsAngel
09-24-2011, 01:40 AM
Important! Emoticons need better acces. :suspicion:

P.S. Idea: Why not putting a current status text on top of the character name displaying if I'm AFK or busy. :eagerness: just saying

iPad 2 user

Asaciuacor
09-24-2011, 02:04 AM
I have the same problem on my DROID x2 Android v 2.3.3

i have droid x2 and i think we should have an option to turn it off if we aren't using it, it just gets in the way

Suntv
09-24-2011, 02:39 AM
So the devs state that they try to remove as much as functions from the main screen to make them not interfere with gameplay, i.e. emotes menu is gone. So explain to me why there is an unusefull button that tells me which quests there are? If anything is useless, it's that button. This is because once you are in a quest, you play it and so you don't want to be annoyed by that button when playing the quest. There's no function for it.

I do like the "Notification button (reminder of private chat)", except it doesn't work yet. When I am in a map/town where the one that messaged me isn't, if I reply by tapping it, the text is shown as plain text that everyone can read. So the one that send me a message doens't receive it.

pastrychef
09-24-2011, 04:14 AM
I appreciate the attempt to improve viewing area, however some of the changes have sacrificed functionality. Please consider the following for future updates.

1. Quest log on main screen is too big and is useless to those who have completed all quests.
2. Hiding emotes makes their use difficult. For example, if I want to laugh at a joke, by the time I actually get to press the lol button, the conversation has already shifted to something entirely different.
3. The enlarged menu button on the upper left has caused the names of the players on the team to be pushed lower. On an iPad, these names are directly above the virtual joystick. When there is virtual joystick skip, we often end up pressing the fifth player's name and going in to the screen that displays his/her stats. Either the joystick needs to be moved lower or the names need to be moved.
4. Pressing the menu button now brings us to a screen with "Exit" and "World Map" in the lower left and right corners, respectively, rather than our avatar screen. Could these two button not be added to the avatar screen to reduce the redundanty in the buttons on top?

* This post is copied from Sam's thread in General Discussions

ScarecrowWolf
09-24-2011, 04:15 AM
I think the emotes and quest button should be swapped around.

I believe everyone enjoyed the emote button being more efficient to get to.

Ellyidol
09-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I think the emotes and quest button should be swapped around.

I believe everyone enjoyed the emote button being more efficient to get to.

Agree. I personally haven't used any emotes anymore ever since this new interface. Would love to hear the bird laugh, it literally makes me chuckle too.

McBain
09-24-2011, 05:07 AM
Just a heads up...I see people mentioning notifications. Was there a notification system added, like in SL, in the top right of the screen? If so, it doesn't appear to be working on Android (2.3.3). I haven't seen any notifications, and I definitely should have by now between friend requests, PMs, etc.

Also, just want to mention again that the quest box by the virtual joystick is a serious pain right now. :dispirited: Constantly popping up when it's not wanted. It even made me accidentally leave a map I was on (via "go to" function) in the middle of a run. The same thing used to happen with the emote menu (until I disabled it), but at least the worst thing to happen then is that I'd accidentally wave or something. For future reference, putting anything that close to the virtual joystick is probably bad news.

AbsolutePally
09-24-2011, 05:37 AM
Samsung Galaxy S.
My biggest problem is the size of the mana and health bars. The reason is because my shield and heal timing is off. I am a pvp player and knowing exactly how much hp and mana I have left is crucial.
It would be like driving your car, looking at the gas gauge and all the sudden it is shrunk and you can not approximate how much you have due to the proportions being small and a lot less visible.
Maybe it will take time to get used to, but the meters are too small and have a huge influence to be altered that much. Simply too difficult to monitor.
also, please give us an option to possibly customize our own interface. I dont pve so I dont want nor need a huge quest arrow, it may be a lethal mistake in pvp if one hits it accidentally. Therefore mine would not include that.
Another thing, skills on the right side. It is fine that they are collapsable, however it may be good to make them a little more transpartent. Semi see through so they dont block so much of the screen when no collapsed.
People love emotes, they are a quick and animated way to express thoughts, feelings etc. if we have to click more may as well type the message instead. Emotes trump typing for some.
Also the notification bubble blocks the msg button when on another persons profile. Say u r in town having a conversation while on the persons profile. U must either clear the bubble dirst by x-ing out or respond..which is interrupting and defeats the purpose of focusing on that one person to pm w.
Thanks. I love how we can talk while our heads are deep into the cs listings :) and the reminders are helpful in keeping me on top of pms. Which is great.

Iseeyou
09-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Please make an option to move chat on the bottom of the screen!!!

Riccits
09-24-2011, 07:48 AM
didnt read all comments, iam on iphone 3GS

1. resolution of skills etc. isnt right, they seems to big.. kinda streched.
2. so mayb bcz of this skill book is almost under hp pots button
3. plz make option to remove the quest check box... uselsess 90% of time and to near to joystick
4. emotes button plz back to main screen
5. increase menu button and hp/mana bars
6. increase "chat lines"-button, kinda very tiny.. changing often the line numbers to c drops, previous chats etc.
7. the notification button is awesome good!! plz implement a sold notification from cs too! :)
8. exit level button seems covered from joystick

in overall iam happy with new interface, will require just some time to adapt it in my mind too :)

Skeletonlord
09-24-2011, 09:13 AM
yea i agree with the emotes having to go to menu and then click on emotes is harder to remember. it was easier to click it from your screen

Weak_Sauce
09-24-2011, 09:34 AM
I'd agree that health and mana are too small, also the new feature on the left where emotes used to be is bothersome. Emotes are way too annoying to get to, especially when wanting to do so quickly. The quest notification should be optional on page and controls should be in settings. Finally, the removal of the chat button at the bottom has made it quite annoying to talk. Once the chat window opens you can no longer view your health and mana which is important if you're talking and playing at the same time. I now can not see if my health is running out while I talk. Also the chat dialogue box is too long, it's hard to read the last text listed because it's almost covered up. The button to toggle skills needs to be moved back to its original spot. Lastly the deal of the day now seems to come up constantly when I return to login screen, if I've seen it once I don't think I need to keep seeing it. I'm playing on a droid incredible version
2.2. Thanks for listening to our feedback!

bronislav84
09-24-2011, 11:28 AM
I am very sad that my comments on the location of the quick chat button are being ignored. Is it not said politely enough?

JulsAngel
09-24-2011, 12:20 PM
I appreciate the attempt to improve viewing area, however some of the changes have sacrificed functionality. Please consider the following for future updates.

2. Hiding emotes makes their use difficult. For example, if I want to laugh at a joke, by the time I actually get to press the lol button, the conversation has already shifted to something entirely different.
3. The enlarged menu button on the upper left has caused the names of the players on the team to be pushed lower. On an iPad, these names are directly above the virtual joystick. When there is virtual joystick skip, we often end up pressing the fifth player's name and going in to the screen that displays his/her stats. Either the joystick needs to be moved lower or the names need to be moved.

* This post is copied from Sam's thread in General Discussions

I'm totally with u bro, virtual joystic is very annoying on iPad. I like the way android tablets have theirs, lower corner of the screen with nothing to interfere.

cajunqueen
09-24-2011, 12:22 PM
I would like to see the joystick moved down on the screen ( IPAD user) for a couple of reasons:
1. When you have a full team the the joystick is very close to the name of that last person on the list and i accidently pull up (click on) that person during play.
2. Also as a mage who wants to keep track of the health of her team when my finger is on the joystick it obstructs my vision of my team members health. Sometimes I do not realize someone needs a revive and we need all alive!!

KTpantyhose
09-24-2011, 03:47 PM
I have one comment.. The Quest box should not be near the joystick. I keep accidentally hitting it when I'm playing and I get sent to a quest level instead of the one I was in -____-' that is not enjoyable. Everything else i'm enjoying. Also are you making quests for crafting in Nuri's? I would love to be able to make the wand and etc.

FlyingS0ldier
09-24-2011, 05:51 PM
Well I'm using an iPad.
With emotes they are two clicks away but when u click an emote the menu disappears, I think that the emotes should go back to how it was like before as it was easier to access. I do like what you have done with the text and how it's possible to scroll through more dialogue/drops good work :)

Dalinuel
09-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Take the quest box off screen or move it I'm on htc evo and its rite on top of joystick

Diodge
09-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Quest box.... It has to go some where else. I hit it all the time. Thank You!

motorola milestone
motorola x

Kaarataka
09-24-2011, 07:58 PM
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and Droid X2

1.) Hp+Mana bars should be full and longer like they were previously. Currently they have this little black line under them which just looks bad. Secondly I pvp a lot and it's currently difficult to tell how much HP/Mana I have.

2.) Emotes - I'm assuming you plan on making new emotes and the reason behind moving them to a sub menu is to allow for us to use them without taking up our entire screen. How about you make a emote map similar to the skill map and allow use to customize it with the emote we want to use. You could still sell them as packs but we could put the ones we use often on an emote map.

StompArtist
09-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Asus Eee Pad Transformer; The soft joystick shows over te exit level button on lower left corner...

WhoIsThis
09-25-2011, 01:28 AM
To begin with, what purpose does an interface serve? A good interface is one where people can access the most important functions easily. The problem is that people need to be able to access everything very quickly, especially in Nuri PvE and PvP, where split second delays = death. This interface is significantly slower and less efficient in doing that.

After playing with it in depth, I would argue that the old interface was VASTLY superior.

There were no major flaws, except two:

1. Easy to flip the skill button to hide 8 skills by mistake. Note that the new interface does not fix this flaw in that the "chat" and "friend request" messages have replaced it.

2. Easy to hide/unhide mini map. I want my minimap shown almost always, and I often accidentally pressed this. This is quite possibly the only thing I found fixed in this new UI.

Given that we are discussing a UI For a 3.5 - 5.0 inch phone, it feels like the best possible interface under the circumstances. The only recommendations if it were brought back would be an option to make the "hide skills" and "hide minimap" buttons go away outside of town and in the menu. Tablet UI can be different.

While I know that this is not true, when I use this interface, I get the overwhelming feeling that somebody haphazardly put it together without thinking about the functions of the buttons

1. Emotes now take 2 taps. Previously, the emote button was right above the joy-pad, where the left thumb rested and could easily be pressed for quick access. Since the update, emotes usage has dropped by as much as 95%.

2. The chat system is poorly thought out. Because a person's thumbs rest near the bottom of a screen, accessing the chat is very difficult. The "bar" to press to char is very thin and hard to access. I often miss it or press the button to extend the chat bar down, which I don't want to do. It makes it difficult to talk to people quickly (very important in CTF games) and to have long conversations (a problem which affects everyone).

3. Accessing the "preset" messages is very hard because the button is so small. The placement amplifies the problem of making it difficult to access because there is a good chance that you will accidentally press the chat button.

4. The hp and mana bars are too small, which gives a less accurate indication of a person's health.

5. The quest box is not needed - being placed directly above the directional joy-pad. In most cases, people don't want to worry about quests. It has the potential to be fatal if someone is trying to kite a boss or a player in PvP and they accidentally press it. Because I am completing the 2 kill 1,000 quests for Frozen Nightmares, the quest box is a perpetual distraction. I am tempted to abandon these quests just to make it go away. I think that the menu system and a notification when someone got closer to the quest goal was sufficient. The quest box is redundant and in my opinion should be removed or at least given an option to permanently hide it.

6. The placing of the notification bar which contains friend requests and chat button is lethal sometimes. It is easy to press it by mistake when accessing skills. People are always spamming friend requests and often sending chat. I have died several times in PvP when pressing it by accident. I think that there needs to be an option to hide it. To be honest, I think that the notification bar may be somewhat obsolete considering that it overlaps with the chat, which is why I feel that it should be in the menu rather than shown. If I wish to have a conversation, a dungeon or PvP arena is not the place to be anyways. Perhaps the old way of hiding the skill pages is a better option, with a way to hide that.

7. I don't know if any changes were made to it, but ever since the UI was updated, the "auto" button seems somewhat less responsive. I don't know why.

What is particularly noteworthy is that none of these problems are likely to go away once people get "used" to the interface. It will always be less efficient this way. Because pretty much everything except skills takes longer to access, this interface fails to offer that.

In conclusion, the reason why I am making a petition to return to the older interface is because I don't think that a superior interface is possible given the small sizes of a phone screen. Please see my first section for what suggestions I have for the older screen.

I am currently debating with myself whether or not to make a thread with pictures.

Siejo
09-25-2011, 02:53 AM
Im 75% happy. I do like the clutter free appearance on my iPad.

What I dislike:
Emotes on the main screen
Chat a little awkward to use
Quest button is in an odd place

What I like:
Plat being removed from the bottom
Potions only showing in dungeons
Notifications on main screen
Help button removed from main screen
Border around the bottom removed
Consolidation of menu buttons to one screen

YYZ????
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Now that I have had some time to get used to the layout. Here are my obsevations.

Using an ipod touch gen 3.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/YYZ----/eec78cba.jpg

1. Spell book too close to health pot. Spamming health in battle sometimes critical. Hiding skills in battle on accident can be deadly. Maybe move to the left 1-2mm should solve.

2. Quest Box. Adds clutter to screen. Adds reduntant info. Too close to virtual joystick. Move up 1-2mm or make available to disable/hide in options menu.

Sassinya
09-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I played for the first time with new UI on PL last night for over an hour and other than getting used to it, I found it works just fine and I can see more of my surroundings! HTC Evo 4G!

I was prepared to hate it, we all hate change, but I was pleasantly surprised, thanks Devs, keep doing what you do so well!!

Moogerfooger
09-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Now that I have had some time to get used to the layout. Here are my obsevations.

Using an ipod touch gen 3.

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x414/YYZ----/eec78cba.jpg

1. Spell book too close to health pot. Spamming health in battle sometimes critical. Hiding skills in battle on accident can be deadly. Maybe move to the left 1-2mm should solve.

2. Quest Box. Adds clutter to screen. Adds reduntant info. Too close to virtual joystick. Move up 1-2mm or make available to disable/hide in options menu.

Amen. I have died several times trying to either hit a health pot and hide my skills instead, or trying to move and open the overrated-in-its-supposed-usefulness quest checkbox.

WhoIsThis
09-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Amen. I have died several times trying to either hit a health pot and hide my skills instead, or trying to move and open the overrated-in-its-supposed-usefulness quest checkbox.

I suppose this would be an issue for 3.5" screens. On a 4", the spell book is a bit further away. I think spell book should be hidden and the potions moved back.

McBain
09-25-2011, 10:51 PM
A nice, clear "confirm trade" button would be nice on the trading screen. Was this changed? I don't remember, but lately it seems some people can't figure out how to trade, and even I needed to stop for a second to figure out what to hit (that little check mark box is easy to miss). I don't remember ever having any issue before. It could be that I've just been playing a lot of SL lately, and in SL there's a confirm trade button.

wvhills
09-26-2011, 08:19 AM
Hey Sam, I posted this in another thread and just wanted to make sure you saw it:
Hey devs, a few things-
I don't know if you've played the new ui on an ipod or not but a lot of times when I got to hit a health pot I accidentally hit the bottom that hides most of my skills. It would be a lot better if you moved that button somewhere else. It may work fine on an ipad with a bigger screen but it just doesn't work on the ipod.

Also, I would really like you to consider moving the emote button back to the main screen. I'd put it back where it was and move the quest box to where the emote is now. I like using the emotes mid fight and you can't really do that the way it is now. The quest thing is nice because you can just click it to join or turn in a quest but we already have a button for that and I don't think it will be used near as much as the emote.

I like how the notification lets noobs know they have skill and attribute points to spend. I'm leveling up a new toon for myself and have had to explain to several people that they get skill and attribute points each level and how to use them.

I also like how the notification box keeps track of your convos better than it did before. No more getting lost when the spammers keep spamming. Haha.

I agree with stomp that long term the persistence items should be rotated. Giving a bonus to people who happened to discover the game before others isn't really fair.

The biggest issue for me is having the pot button so close to the collapse skill button. I've died mutiple times because I was potting and collapsed my skills.

Navygreen
09-26-2011, 09:08 AM
It's funny because I was just saying to myself, for such a great game that is always being updated, this interface can surely use a makeover. And voila! I get an update that totally free's up all my screen space and just declutters the whole thing. I had already been so used to where everything was in the old interface but I love change like this. So no worries. I will figure everything out again and get comfortable with the new setup.

Thanks so much for the update! I really love it.

2 Things bug me so far, however.

The chat down arrow is covered up by one of my skill buttons. This issue is being discussed in another thread.

That quest button right above the joystick is a bit too close. I keep accidentally hitting it. I like the quest button though, it really helps me. If you could move it up a bit, I think it will be ok.

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Wrong game, looking for alternate feedback thread now. My bad.

Samhayne
09-26-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the awesome feedback!

Just a quick note that the team has been digging through your feedback to address issues with the User Interface and we really appreciate the detailed, well thought out input you all have provided.

Navygreen
09-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I am very sad that my comments on the location of the quick chat button are being ignored. Is it not said politely enough?

Check Sam's comment above. Everything is being looked at. I wouldn't worry about getting a response. There's so many thread and posts on this forum. I'm sure they get overwhelmed and just need time to go through them all. I mean, I hardly ever get dev response on my posts hehe. :) I think you'll be ok.

PatsoeGamer
09-27-2011, 07:27 AM
Spent a lot of time reading the comments from the community. Following on your recommendation of reporting Samhayne :) Here are my main three, I would appreciate you and the devs focusing on:

iPhone 3GS

1. Skills expand/collapse button - if this button was moved slightly to the left of the potions button on this platform it would work better for me because it would stop me from accidentally pressing it and losing 8 of my skills.. temporarily I have re-arranged them and kept the main ones in on the first column in case my talons accidentally slip whilst playing
2. The quest button - I'm hoping this button gets removed or has an option to hide.. this will work better for me because again I'm accidentally poking it with my talons when I'm running lol
3. Notifications - I'm hoping this button gets removed or has an option to hide.. I think I have 500+ friend requests, I just dont have the time and my eagle eyes are constantly drawn to it distracting me when I'm soaring down on mobs from a great height

Also, another point not sure if it was mentioned or not? The players health bars are smaller so its a lot more difficult to judge when to heal team mates when I'm my mage, i'm literally spam healing most nuri runs now to be safe lol

Some may have been addressed/fixed already! So apologies all if this is the case!

pastrychef
09-28-2011, 05:10 PM
@ Devs:

Wow! Thanks for the latest update! All my concerns were addressed.

That being said, and I hate to sound ungrateful, but one more suggestion... On an iPad, the virtual joystick was originally placed near the upper left corner. The latest update moved it to the lower left corner. This location works well for small devices such as phones and iPod Touches, however, it doesn't work very well for tablets. Tablets are heavier and trying to balance it by gripping it with our thumbs while trying to control our characters can make for a painful experience.

My suggestion is to place the virtual joystick in the middle, left. Parallel to the skill buttons and between where the emotes and quest log icons would be ideal.

Again, thanks for the massive improvements in this update!!