PDA

View Full Version : Why don't you use a beta testing program for your updates?

krazii
09-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey STS,

In my past experience with games most developers usually test updates, additions, patches, and/or new releases of their games in house and then do a beta version test with selected users prior to release of a live version. They do this to gather input and make adjustments to the game prior to release so they don't make mistakes or implement something that has a negative effect on their game. However, I don't see STS doing any of this. It appears on the surface that you decide the game needs something, either a change or an addition enhance gameplay and move forward with it. Lot's of the stuff you implement is great, but there is some that really isn't (GCD, part of the new UI, some of the new sounds in SL) and could be avoided if you just asked some of the players first.

I applaud your efforts, but don't you think having some sort of user testing prior to release of any update would be beneficial to both parties?

Neffy
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Most of the stuff they do applies to newer members. After all, they can't keep only the ol' timers happy and not the youngin's.

Ixillicus
09-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I am sure they test it in-house. Also, they did a beta period prior to the launch of star legends. Although they try to appeal to the largest number of people, keep in mind that the game has a "vision" and is always moving along a path to what it can eventually become. Not everyone will like every change, but as I understand, betas are more for the feedback about bugs and performance, then about whether you think their map or controls or cool-down system are the way you like them.

Neffy
09-23-2011, 06:41 PM
I am sure they test it in-house. Also, they did a beta period prior to the launch of star legends. Although they try to appeal to the largest number of people, keep in mind that the game has a "vision" and is always moving along a path to what it can eventually become. Not everyone will like every change, but as I understand, betas are more for the feedback about bugs and performance, then about whether you think their map or controls or cool-down system are the way you like them.
True, true.

StompArtist
09-23-2011, 06:43 PM
The whole game is an eternal beta with no monthly fee that's why!

It's also what makes it relatively unique.

krazii
09-23-2011, 06:50 PM
The whole game is an eternal beta with no monthly fee that's why!

It's also what makes it relatively unique.

That's funny, Rule #1 in any business is make the customer happy. Not all of them (impossible) but most. I just think they'd benefit from running their changes, enhancements, etc by a few representative customers first. Sometimes, I get the feeling the Dev's are a little to close to the game to see how some of the changes will affect the game, other times (mostly) they hit the nail on the head.

StompArtist
09-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Rule#1 is generate revenue. Everything else is a function of #1 welcome to America! LOL

McBain
09-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I think they've done a pretty admirable job of keeping the majority of customers happy while continuing to develop the product, which is really the best you can hope for.

IceCoffie
09-23-2011, 08:20 PM
I would think thats would be a good idea, cause no offence to anyone but i hate the new update.