PDA

View Full Version : Why PL changes so often. [Inside]

Neffy
09-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Although already a great game, PL has to change, whether the older members like it or not. This is no way, shape, or form a rant/flame/troll thread. This is just me explaining why PL has changed and will continue to change so often. It's not because the developers themselves want it to change but because they need to appeal to more people's tastes and likes. MMOs have to change their style often because if they don't people will lose interest. Also, with newer styles comes newer customers of many varieties. Many willing to pay for Platinum, which drives STS and keeps them up and running. The cost of hosting an MMO isn't too cheap and they must be able to have a high population of people on at one time with little-to-none down time, etc. They have to be able to pay monthly (yes, they pay to keep the game running.) which is why so many items are available for Platinum, like the newly added Demonic Recipes. Many complain about the changes to the game but they don't realize that it's necessary. For example: World of Warcraft, a game some people consider to be the best MMO of all time, has changed drastically since it's release, and has been one of the most played games in history. Not only did it have to make these huge changes to it's gameplay, but also lost a lot of players over the years due to these updates, but has gained even more people and money than some of the biggest gaming companies out there. Another example: Runescape, a browser-based MMO that has made close to the same amount of money as World of Warcraft, has also made many, many updates. Their updates have also lost them players but, as said before, has made them much more money than people would imagine. In conclusion, what I'm trying to tell you all is that I know the updates might be a little unwanted by some, but if they don't make these updates the community will go dull and you'll notice many players will just stop playing. These updates are crucial and we'll all just have to learn to deal with it.
I'm not trying to say this is exactly why the developers make the updates but if they don't, there will be no players sooner or later. These updates keep the game flavorful. And they have to make money through platinum. They are a business after all. And you can't run a business on an empty bank account!

JaytB
09-23-2011, 09:34 PM
In real life people also almost always complain when changes are forced upon them. But yeah, I'd say I agree with your post :)

WoundedEagle
09-23-2011, 09:41 PM
'nuff said. Thanks for blowing my mind.

-we

Neffy
09-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys. :)

elianel
09-23-2011, 09:47 PM
My only motivation is pink and my luck is not very good :(

Ellyidol
09-23-2011, 09:50 PM
It reminds me of how Facebook works. They change their home page so often and the users tend to cry and whine about it initially, but after a few days/weeks, they get used to it and nothing happens. Lol :)

Neffy
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
My only motivation is pink and my luck is not very good :(
I don't quite know what you mean. I mean know what you mean but how is it relevant in here? (No disrespect intended.)

Neffy
09-23-2011, 09:51 PM
It reminds me of how Facebook works. They change their home page so often and the users tend to cry and whine about it initially, but after a few days/weeks, they get used to it and nothing happens. Lol :)
So true man.

krazii
09-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Change can be good! STS does a great job most of the time of implementing new things or changing things. Sometimes things go the other way. I try to remember to praise them for the good changes and constructively voice my opinion on those changes I don't like. Realistically, STS will do what they want and our options are to just roll with it, voice our opinion, stop buying plat, and if you feel necessary stop playing.

I always try to keep in mind that these games are their jobs, it's their living, and they are going to be as protective of it as you and I. They won't do something they think will "ruin" the game and they have to do their best to make us happy while making a buck (or two).

Neffy
09-23-2011, 10:45 PM
Change can be good! STS does a great job most of the time of implementing new things or changing things. Sometimes things go the other way. I try to remember to praise them for the good changes and constructively voice my opinion on those changes I don't like. Realistically, STS will do what they want and our options are to just roll with it, voice our opinion, stop buying plat, and if you feel necessary stop playing.

I always try to keep in mind that these games are their jobs, it's their living, and they are going to be as protective of it as you and I. They won't do something they think will "ruin" the game and they have to do their best to make us happy while making a buck (or two).
Good to hear you feel the same as I do. People act like it's their duty to obey what they want and in all reality, it's not. At all.

Aperfecte
09-24-2011, 02:58 AM
The best change they have made was making the Crown of Persistence a vanity. I only wish that there was some stats that was included with it.

Neffy
09-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Yeah, it should at least some decent stats.