PDA

View Full Version : About the User Interface Changes

Samhayne
09-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi everyone,

I wanted to provide some additional background and reasoning behind the changes we have done with the User Interface (UI) in Pocket Legends. First, allow me to say that we do understand how upsetting change can be. For anyone who is bothered by the change to the UI, we hear you.

There are a couple different motivations behind the change to the User Interface in Pocket Legends.

Reduce visual clutter
Remove redundant functionality
Change non-essential buttons (for combat) from displaying in combat settings
Allow you to see your character and surroundings as much (and as best) as possible

The reduction in visual clutter is something that resonated a lot in recent rounds of new user testing and use-ability studies we've been conducting. While we always want to respect and support our current users, it is also important for us to appeal to new users as well.

We know that there will always be improvements we can make. We plan to keep making them and to also listen to your feedback about them to keep us on the right track. We appreciate the detailed, constructive feedback we have already received in our Suggestions and Feedback forum http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?37696-User-Interface-Feedback We encourage interested users to read that thread and, if you know of something that hasn't been mentioned, to please post it.

It is our aim to continue moving Pocket Legends forward. To keep making it better. We appreciate your support while we do so. Thanks!

Siejo
09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Sam I appreciate you posting this. I told my guild member I liked the fact I can see more of the game and less clutter. It is however feeling like the GCD war all over again. I know this will be a work in progress till balanced is found. Thanks for asking us our opinion to help reach that balance.

Orcish
09-24-2011, 01:16 AM
I like the idea of seeing the quest log, but there needs to be a way to remove it besides minimizing it. I keep hitting it in the middle of battling (large thumbs?). Emotes are harder to get to, other then that I like the new additions.

mattkamp
09-24-2011, 01:37 AM
:( ;) :) :D :p :o :confused

pastrychef
09-24-2011, 01:43 AM
I appreciate the attempt to improve viewing area, however some of the changes have sacrificed functionality. Please consider the following for future updates.

1. Quest log on main screen is too big and is useless to those who have completed all quests.
2. Hiding emotes makes their use difficult. For example, if I want to laugh at a joke, by the time I actually get to press the lol button, the conversation has already shifted to something entirely different.
3. The enlarged menu button on the upper left has caused the names of the players on the team to be pushed lower. On an iPad, these names are directly above the virtual joystick. When there is virtual joystick skip, we often end up pressing the fifth player's name and going in to the screen that displays his/her stats. Either the joystick needs to be moved lower or the names need to be moved.
4. Pressing the menu button now brings us to a screen with "Exit" and "World Map" in the lower left and right corners, respectively, rather than our avatar screen. Could these two button not be added to the avatar screen to reduce the redundanty in the buttons on top?

JaytB
09-24-2011, 02:11 AM
I appreciate the attempt to improve viewing area, however some of the changes have sacrificed functionality. Please consider the following for future updates.

1. Quest log on main screen is too big and is useless to those who have completed all quests.
2. Hiding emotes makes their use difficult. For example, if I want to laugh at a joke, by the time I actually get to press the lol button, the conversation has already shifted to something entirely different.
3. The enlarged menu button on the upper left has caused the names of the players on the team to be pushed lower. On an iPad, these names are directly above the virtual joystick. When there is virtual joystick skip, we often end up pressing the fifth player's name and going in to the screen that displays his/her stats. Either the joystick needs to be moved lower or the names need to be moved.
4. Pressing the menu button now brings us to a screen with "Exit" and "World Map" in the lower left and right corners, respectively, rather than our avatar screen. Could these two button not be added to the avatar screen to reduce the redundanty in the buttons on top?

I completely agree with points 1, 2 and 3. Not sure what you mean with the 4th though.

All in all, I like the new interface. Personally, I think the points mentioned by Pastry would make it even better. Instead of that quest button I'd like to see an emote button for example.

But, as said, I definitely think it looks pretty slick so far :D

NoobianOfAlterra
09-24-2011, 05:05 AM
I wish it was possible in options to go back to the old UI...I don't really like the new one :'(

TitanFusion
09-24-2011, 11:23 AM
STS why dont you just give the option to choose between the 2?