PDA

View Full Version : How long will PL support OS3?

Royce
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I have a 1st gen iPod, and sadly Apple has abandoned us. I would imagine at some point STS will drop PL support for OS3, and I am just wondering approximately how much longer I have to play PL on my device.

Edit: Can't believe I missed the n in long in the title. Oh well you get the point.

King Richie
06-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Oh please dont drop us guys !!

flaimdude
06-26-2010, 09:31 AM
I would highly doubt that STS would ever, PL being a server game, drop OS 3 peeps. And I'm sure that eventually they could just release a new version if they have to update it and it can only run on iOS 4. Like, there'd still be the old game, but the new one would have more features, etc. :)

Royce
06-26-2010, 09:55 AM
I would highly doubt that STS would ever, PL being a server game, drop OS 3 peeps. And I'm sure that eventually they could just release a new version if they have to update it and it can only run on iOS 4. Like, there'd still be the old game, but the new one would have more features, etc. :)

Yeah, that would be cool, but it would still involve developing 2 separate clients, and for a small developing team I just don't know if I can see them doing that when the proportion of people still on OS3 is pretty small. However, I hope you're right. I just want to hear what the devs have to say about it.

Esus
06-26-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm pretty sure my 2g iPod touch is still running with OS2...I never updated to OS3 to my knowledge. At least that's what I think at the moment.

Royce
06-26-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm pretty sure my 2g iPod touch is still running with OS2...I never updated to OS3 to my knowledge. At least that's what I think at the moment.

If you are able to download and run most new apps this is probably unlikely. However, you would probably remember because Apple charged iPod owners like 15 or 20 bucks to upgrade to OS3. So maybe.

tjornan
06-26-2010, 10:54 AM
And I'm sure that eventually they could just release a new version if they have to update it and it can only run on iOS 4. Like, there'd still be the old game, but the new one would have more features, etc

Well, im supposed to get an ipad in about a year so hold off till then guys

Esus
06-26-2010, 11:38 AM
If you are able to download and run most new apps this is probably unlikely. However, you would probably remember because Apple charged iPod owners like 15 or 20 bucks to upgrade to OS3. So maybe.

It was whatever OS that came with my itouch 2g when I bought it, so I have no idea

Royce
06-26-2010, 11:57 AM
It was whatever OS that came with my itouch 2g when I bought it, so I have no idea

If you can cut/copy/paste text then you have OS3.

King Richie
06-26-2010, 12:04 PM
I really hope they dont drop us =( id cry !

Cascade
06-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm using an iPad so I'm in the clear :D

Futumsh
06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
3.0 is the current minimum (because that's the earliest which supports in app purchases). Unless there's a compelling reason to change that at some point (such as not being able to remain compatible with the newest os), we'll keep it the same. At least so far, there are no problems with supporting 4.0 but being backward compatible down to 3.0.

Royce
06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Awesome news :)

Banned
06-26-2010, 02:31 PM
Awesome possum, I get to keep my iPod jailbroken. :D

ratava
06-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Good to hear this too.

My 1st gen iPhone is not compatible with OS4 and what with travel a new iPhone4 seems a bit difficult to commit to. Disaster averted for time-being!

Sayishere
06-27-2010, 06:26 AM
good to hear, but guys, you should upgrade! sell your current one and pay the remaining, the iphone 4 looks very nice! even ipad (very expensive though)

just a thought but since sts have said, it is all good now

Royce
06-27-2010, 08:25 AM
good to hear, but guys, you should upgrade! sell your current one and pay the remaining, the iphone 4 looks very nice! even ipad (very expensive though)

just a thought but since sts have said, it is all good now

I am planning to upgrade to a 3rd gen iPod, but as a poor college student it's not something I can just snap my fingers and have if I want it, and I doubt I could get much at all for my beat up old 1st gen. Anyway it'll happen eventually but may take a while so I'm glad my old clunker of an iPod will still work for a while ;)