PDA

View Full Version : Longswords... When are they good?

Cahaun
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I have noticed that longswords haven't been really famous lately so much that I could buy a glyph one while I am poor. So I was wondering what is good at using one? :confused:

Cahaun
09-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Hammers are also used in this...

Cahaun
09-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Anyone?

Pakax
09-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I like them
They are slow but the damage is pretty good and they are affordable. If you couple them to good stats, pots and spells, you can get massive damage in one hit, sometimes this is the boss killer hit and some say that brings extra pinks.

The other reason my bear uses the Strongman Glyph Battle Sword is because he is a bear. He wanted the biggest sword there was to show off, not that little stupid mace.

Cahaun
09-25-2011, 11:07 AM
So its like use the mace and shields for mobs and longswords for massive damage for bosses' armor while looking intimidating. Sounds smart. Can anybody confirm the pink drop rate increase though?

Flickz
09-25-2011, 11:08 AM
There isnt a list of drop rates

Moogerfooger
09-25-2011, 11:31 AM
So its like use the mace and shields for mobs and longswords for massive damage for bosses' armor while looking intimidating. Sounds smart. Can anybody confirm the pink drop rate increase though?

That is what a lot of bears have done in the past. Faster weapon for mobs, then switch to a Gurgox Hammer (or now, Battle Swords if they have one) for bosses.

Any rumor about using a certain weapon increasing pink drop rates is false. Just another unproven/silly superstitious rumor ;)

Zeus
09-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Longswords, sometimes bigger isn't always better. This is one of these cases, IMO.

I prefer the one handed Mace because it makes so much more sense to use; it has high damage, high speed, and more armor.

Moogerfooger
09-25-2011, 11:46 AM
The Glyph Battle Swords have more base damage and faster weapon speed than the maces.

That said, the armor advantage from having a shield is pretty pimp, plus the additional stats from the shield.

Zeus
09-25-2011, 11:47 AM
The Glyph Battle Swords have more base damage and faster weapon speed than the maces.

That said, the armor advantage from having a shield is pretty pimp, plus the additional stats from the shield.

They do? Well, I have been misinformed. Thanks! Yeah, I definitely prefer the Mace set still though.

Moogerfooger
09-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah, the Battle Swords have a higher low base damage, although the max base damage is the same. 1.3 speed on Battleswords, 1.4 on the maces, according to Yanis' Nuri gear thread.

However...yeah, the difference is small enough to be completely negated by the extra stats from the shield, plus the armor. Now that I think about it, I would go 1H Mace/Shield over a Battle Sword...if one could afford a shield/mace set.

Zerious
09-25-2011, 12:23 PM
quick farming runs with a higher base damage wep like the longsword make these runs quick. Especially when in a set since the set bonuses of 3 piece sets contain higher damage bonuses, which typically lead to higher spell/skill damage in all classes. I'm almost tempted to try this with my main XD

Cahaun
09-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Cool thanks for your input! I think I am going to be a longsword bear sometimes. Its like me using a heavy weapon over a rifle in SL.

Neffy
09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
The point of longswords in every MMO I have been apart of is this: Faster than a 2H, slower than a dagger. Stronger base damage than the dagger, and can often times be a good weapon for tanks, if you have the right set up.