PDA

View Full Version : Guide: How to stick with a successful PUG/fixed group, without the friend list.

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:15 AM
Hey all! This is the SL version of the guide I made in the PL section.

This technique is pretty easy, some may know it and use it, some don't. This is for those that don't.

You do not need to be on the friend list to successfully re-join a good group.

Situation

You find yourself a good group, whether PUG (Pick Up Game) or a fixed group but you are the odd one out. You want to join them again when they remake. You do not need to add any or all of them to the friend list, I know some, as well as myself, who don't accept random friend requests.

So How do I re-join them?

Easy. Use the very friendly commands and features of the game.

1. /hostinfo - This tells you who the host of the current game is (the group of people you want to join again). Personally, I keep this handy.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/3c0f6cf0.jpg

2. Once you find out who is the group leader, chances are that the same person is remaking the next map. This is how it would look when you type in /hostinfo in a hosted game.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/79e546ff.jpg

2a. However, some games are not hosted. They can be hostless. If they are, when you use /hostinfo, this will appear:

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/2ede3d1c.jpg

If it is hostless, your best bet would be asking the group if they want to remake and stick together. You may even decide to host the game yourself for everyone, and hopefully they use this technique.

3. Okay, so you've established who the host is, if any. Let's say you were in my game, I'm the host. Ellyidol. Once the game finishes, go to your 'Join Game' menu where you can search for games. Use the filters, they actually help!

Let's say I'm hosting Slouch-o maps, we know the campaign. When somebody hosts a game, the game name becomes 'Hostname's Game'. In this case, since I am the host, 'Ellyidol's Game'. Filter the game name to contain my name only, Elly, and you get this.

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96/bryantioliu/2e58e899.jpg

You can now rejoin the group the fastest way possible.

Tada! You can only see my game, therefore rejoin as quick as possible without using the friend list. Chances of committing error in this is zero, unlike the friend list which jumps back and forth.

Important:

1. Sometimes, a host responsible for remaking maps lags or very rarely crashes when creating a new map. Remember to use the refresh button when your desired game to join isn't coming up on the list. If after a good amount of time the game is no longer there, which means the host is not remaking anymore, it would be best to move on and find another group to stick with.

Keep this in mind! I personally use it when I am the odd one out or the 'new guy' in some runs. If the game gets locked and you don't know the password, well, move on :p

Note, this works for any camapaign. I just use my own character and the Slouch-o Campaign as reference :)

Good luck!

razerfingers
09-26-2011, 10:30 AM
+1 i love this guide well done :)

KingFu
09-26-2011, 10:31 AM
Nice guide bro. Great work. Gratz on sticky;)

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:33 AM
+1 i love this guide well done :)

Thanks!

Nice guide bro. Great work. Gratz on sticky;)

Thanks! Was quite surprised since all I did was request Sam for a move to the Guides section.

Thank you Sam! Or whoever sticky'd it :)

Dracula
09-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Nice post Ellyidol. Also, while many good groups are well established friends or guild runs, good manners goes a long way. Extending a simple "Hi. Mind if I join?" helps to break the ice and may prevent a premature boot. And on the flip side, for those running in good groups, if your game is not locked, unless absolutely imperative, it doesn't hurt to ask the new guy to leave first. No one likes getting booted. It takes only a few seconds to type "Waiting for a friend, you mind giving up your spot?" Use a password if you don't want randoms.

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
Nice post Ellyidol. Also, while many good groups are well established friends or guild runs, good manners goes a long way. Extending a simple "Hi. Mind if I join?" helps to break the ice and may prevent a premature boot. And on the flip side, for those running in good groups, if your game is not locked, unless absolutely imperative, it doesn't hurt to ask the new guy to leave first. No one likes getting booted. It takes only a few seconds to type "Waiting for a friend, you mind giving up your spot?" Use a password if you don't want randoms.

Thanks! Agreed, but I do think that booting is acceptable, though, WITH a valid reason of course. I just know booting is a controversial issue, but if done as politely and delicately as possible, should be acceptable. Different topic though :)

sabermage
09-26-2011, 10:44 AM
You gave away my secret! Plus, if you have an enhancer going, you won't be in the level when you get to the join screen so you won't be wasting any time.

-Saber

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
You gave away my secret! Plus, if you have an enhancer going, you won't be in the level when you get to the join screen so you won't be wasting any time.

-Saber

I didn't know that! I assumed that if you went to the Join screen from a PvE map, that the timer keeps going. Can anyone confirm? Would like to add this to the perks for using this method if confirmed :)

Thanks Saber.

MitchRapp
09-26-2011, 10:49 AM
oooor... how bout a simple option like this:
- game ends, host recreates game, you automatically get an invite that pops up with a simple "JOIN" button.

problem solved?

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 10:55 AM
oooor... how bout a simple option like this:
- game ends, host recreates game, you automatically get an invite that pops up with a simple "JOIN" button.

problem solved?

Hmm, maybe. As ideal as it sounds though, the host may not want the same PUG team when he remakes. Almost like shuffling songs in your library until you find a good series and save those songs as a playlist rather than the same sequence over and over.

CappinClutch
09-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Not to call anyone noobs or to be insulting, but if more less saavy players would cone to the forums and read threads like this, the game would run a lot smoother than it ever has...great info!

CanonicalKoi
09-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Nice, nice guide, Elly and sure to help a bunch of people out. :)

Eyesharp
09-26-2011, 07:10 PM
Elly thank you!!!I find most of your guides somewhat helpful and this method helps me alot.Please keep the guides up! :)

Ellyidol
09-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Not to call anyone noobs or to be insulting, but if more less saavy players would cone to the forums and read threads like this, the game would run a lot smoother than it ever has...great info!

Nice, nice guide, Elly and sure to help a bunch of people out. :)

Elly thank you!!!I find most of your guides somewhat helpful and this method helps me alot.Please keep the guides up! :)

Thanks very much :)