PDA

View Full Version : Sharing mage's behaviour in new maps

Goen
11-19-2016, 01:10 PM
As all we know mage is range attacker, so mostly will keep a distance from us but sometime he charged forward to us.
From my experience, most likely he want to put curse on us.
So we should just move backward a bit to keep the distance, after 2-3 secs its ok to melee attack the mage especially dagger rogues, warrior.

Any one can confirm about this behavior ? Or sharing other mage's behaviour and what do you do against that.

JesuisCharlie
11-19-2016, 02:54 PM
You should always keep your distances from them so they are unables to focus you with their curse s and so they have less probability to cast it also always focus a sorcerer and consider him like the main threat. Here, that is the job of the rogues to try to kill him faster :)
Actually, sorcerers are the counter of invincibles warriors who have to many armors and rogues aimed shot the counter of sorcerers.. Both, first coz of mortality of young adventurers.

Maybe if it's possible, mobs that focus a class in priority will be appreciate and force the teamwork..

Oh also if you play sorcerer, try to keep the others sorcerers stuned everytimes ( windmil is very good for that also charged fireballs)!

Goen
11-20-2016, 01:46 AM
If we keep making distance from mage we will pushed back (hope not resetting the mobs) especially when you in mausoleum 3-4 (consider as elite maps) I'm observing when the mage casting (or about to cast) the curse so we can avoid the curse skill and do melee attack without hesitate so we can kill those mage faster. If we cant kill mages fast, they could gives us trouble with his healing skill.
I think if there's mage in our team, he could keep stunning them. I hope can meet that good mage to team up when I run random/pug coz sometimes I met outperformed mages.

So I prefer, advancing our individual skill against those mages, coz mostly I run random/pug, we don't know who and how their individual skill.
Based on that reason, I started this thread...
I hope someone can help us/me

Kharjojo
11-20-2016, 03:48 AM
If we keep making distance from mage we will pushed back (hope not resetting the mobs) especially when you in mausoleum 3-4 (consider as elite maps) I'm observing when the mage casting (or about to cast) the curse so we can avoid the curse skill and do melee attack without hesitate so we can kill those mage faster. If we cant kill mages fast, they could gives us trouble with his healing skill.
I think if there's mage in our team, he could keep stunning them. I hope can meet that good mage to team up when I run random/pug coz sometimes I met outperformed mages.

So I prefer, advancing our individual skill against those mages, coz mostly I run random/pug, we don't know who and how their individual skill.
Based on that reason, I started this thread...
I hope someone can help us/me

Nilbog AA is a very effective and cheap solution, give it a try ;)

Goen
11-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Nilbog AA is a very effective and cheap solution, give it a try ;)
Thanks for your input. Will try the Nilbog AA

eugene9707
11-20-2016, 11:07 AM
My observations are linked in my signature

Or click here :http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?376143-Somberholt-Mob-Guide

Goen
11-20-2016, 09:34 PM
My observations are linked in my signature

Or click here :http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?376143-Somberholt-Mob-Guide
Thanks. Will check it

Albrechtdurer
01-03-2017, 02:45 PM
yes its really good thank you

Albrechtdurer
01-03-2017, 02:47 PM
and its help so now if u have 2 in pt its cool

Midievalmodel
01-03-2017, 03:47 PM
and its help so now if u have 2 in pt its cool

I have tested nilbog extensively. It does help a little bit but I find his AA not that useful because its pool is a single pool and very small. You also have to stand on it for it to be useful. Also when you run in very fast parties with speed set especially in mos 3 or 4 it gets chaotic requiring rogues to have to maneuver out of the small nilbog pool in order to focus on witches and curse mage mobs.

Kharjojo
01-03-2017, 04:14 PM
I have tested nilbog extensively. It does help a little bit but I find his AA not that useful because its pool is a single pool and very small. You also have to stand on it for it to be useful. Also when you run in very fast parties with speed set especially in mos 3 or 4 it gets chaotic requiring rogues to have to maneuver out of the small nilbog pool in order to focus on witches and curse mage mobs.

Well, don't forget we're talking abt a cheap pet, but i still think those 5 secs immunity dot, with a good stunning mage and a focused rogue, has no price imho.
I cas agree in maus 4 and 5 mobs are harder and is difficult for rogues to pass through the crowd to go aim the right target, but if u time right 2 Nilbog AA near the cursing mages it's easier for the rest of pt to clean the cluster whyle the rogue is taking care of the mad boneys.

Suentous PO
01-03-2017, 04:42 PM

Ive seen that this confuses some people but there are 2 things happening with his aa
1: is that pool which does dot to mobs and slows them if they touch it and
2: he clears all debuffs from the party.
the thing is You do not have to stand in the pool to get your parties debuffs cancelled, that happens regardless of the pool.

Midievalmodel
01-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Ive seen that this confuses some people but there are 2 things happening with his aa
1: is that pool which does dot to mobs and slows them if they touch it and
2: he clears all debuffs from the party.
the thing is You do not have to stand in the pool to get your parties debuffs cancelled, that happens regardless of the pool.

Appreciate the clarification of the pet AA. I am mistaken about its mechanics, my fault. I somehow assumed you had to stand on the pool to get dot immunity. Reason why I assume this is because even after everybody in the party using nilbog aa alternating each other. We all still died like flies from mage curse. Just didn't seem effective.

So I got a question that you may be able to answer for me. Does Nilbog get rid of the mage curse once the mage curses you? or does it give you protection against DOT/curse for 5 seconds?

Just makes me then wonder why a single AA of glowstick is 30x more effective in preventing mage curse deaths than 4 nilbog aa. Especially if you dont have to stand on nilbog's pool to receive its curse protection which takes the multiple pools and larger pools of glowstik out of the equation when comparing the two.

I find running with a good mage who can stun the curse mage mobs well and running with rogues who know how to take down these curse mage mobs fast makes all the difference in the world. Literally almost no deaths. Of course glowstik AA helps tremendously as well but the pet is pretty expensive.

Suentous PO
01-04-2017, 11:11 AM
So I got a question that you may be able to answer for me. Does Nilbog get rid of the mage curse once the mage curses you? or does it give you protection against DOT/curse for 5 seconds?

The reason I don't know that is that I would never wait until I was cursed to use his aa. I'm a mage and every single skill but shield has dot, I could get cursed, stop attacking him and still die (lag can play trick on us). So, as soon as I get near prior to attack I use the aa.
Which leads to what you say next here in your last paragraph ....

Just makes me then wonder why a single AA of glowstick is 30x more effective in preventing mage curse deaths than 4 nilbog aa. Especially if you dont have to stand on nilbog's pool to receive its curse protection which takes the multiple pools and larger pools of glowstik out of the equation when comparing the two.

I find running with a good mage who can stun the curse mage mobs well and running with rogues who know how to take down these curse mage mobs fast makes all the difference in the world. Literally almost no deaths. Of course glowstik AA helps tremendously as well but the pet is pretty expensive.

Gospel- perfect. A smart team means everything. I can't speak on glowstick as I don't own one but your input on his effectiveness is interesting, but as you say he's expensive and I'm focusing on gems atm.

Sethyates
01-04-2017, 01:02 PM
oo Nice way of attacking

Excuses
01-05-2017, 03:43 AM
Appreciate the clarification of the pet AA. I am mistaken about its mechanics, my fault. I somehow assumed you had to stand on the pool to get dot immunity. Reason why I assume this is because even after everybody in the party using nilbog aa alternating each other. We all still died like flies from mage curse. Just didn't seem effective.

For me, using Nilbog as support of glow worked best because 2 glows don't stack.
I heal to cover pt then glow, before glow aa ends, one of pt use Nilbog. Then heal cd comes back. Most of pulls are pretty much gone by the time, dps won't get cursed randomly because we would have only a few mages left or none.

Nilbog cd is shorter so on next pull, Nilbog can be used first then glow after too.

Of course, good mage with proper build works better than all pets. XD

GoodSyntax
01-05-2017, 11:13 AM
A few observations regarding Nilbog and Curse:

Nilbog AA does indeed prevent curse from landing. Theoretically, it also removes curses, but with active DoT from skills (Nox, Traps, Clock, Fireball, etc.), lets just assume a Curse landing is an instant KO if you are not immunized.

My issue is that I don't know what the active range of DoT immunity is when Nilbog does his AA; it seems the range isn't that large. With pets often lagging behind, and attacking mobs far from your current location, the effectiveness of DoT immunity via pet AA is unreliable, especially if you are the person rounding up the mobs into a cluster ahead of your group.

I suspect that Glowstiks AA range is huge, which is why it "feels" like that pet is more effective at combating Curse.

My other issue is that Nilbog AA cooldown is long. There are many, many cases where the AA is still on cooldown when you initiate contact with the next mob group; effectively meaning you are subject to a Curse death unless someone else has an AA available. I would greatly prefer to see egg-slotting take the AA cooldown from the host pet (i.e., Loki/Krampus/etc., with short cooldowns), which has the added side effect of making these pets more valuable/desirable. To combat OP'ness, let's say that Legendary and lower AA's would take the host cooldown, and Mythic and above AA's do not. No one want's to see Nekro shielding every 8 seconds in PvP.

Frankly, what makes these undead mages so maddening is their uncanny ability to insta-Curse. If a sorc leads with a Fireball to knockdown/stun, by the time a Rogue gets into position to attack, the undead mage comes out of the stun, lands a no-warning insta-Curse and boom....dead Rogue. Personally, my approach when there is a mob cluster that has a Curse mage is to follow in after a Fireball, use charged daggers to ensure an additional second of stun time before I do an Aimed/Nox/Pierce combo and get out of melee range.

Most of the time, a single combo is enough to kill these mages, but Curse only lands in melee range, so backing out after a combo does help reduce deaths. The problem is that in the deeper floors of the mausoleum, mob clusters often have several mages, so while you are backing out of range from one mage, you enter the range of the second, and boom, instant death.

Worse is when you get the purple wizards and their stacking damage reduction, making the mages awfully tanky. This can lead to a sticky situation that can result in many deaths when not handled properly.

Motherless_Child
01-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Best way to combat that is to keep a distance from the mobs and to KEEP the mobs UNDER control........ When you get the "AIMED SHOT" warning, you can run away from the mob and put a certain amount of distance between you and the mob, then the aimed shot goes away..... The CURSE, on the other hand, is like instant death..... I haven't been able to escape that yet..........

Stunning, freezing, and rooting the mobs have been effective (against rogue and mage skeletons, not warrior skeletons) base on what i've experienced........ Having a mage who knows how to utilize the RIGHT skills when running the somberholt map is very helpful..... I am a mage, so every time I run somberholt there is at least 1 mage in the party..... Do not know what to tell anyone who is running with a mageless party....

Midievalmodel
01-05-2017, 06:31 PM
A few observations regarding Nilbog and Curse:

Nilbog AA does indeed prevent curse from landing. Theoretically, it also removes curses, but with active DoT from skills (Nox, Traps, Clock, Fireball, etc.), lets just assume a Curse landing is an instant KO if you are not immunized.

My issue is that I don't know what the active range of DoT immunity is when Nilbog does his AA; it seems the range isn't that large. With pets often lagging behind, and attacking mobs far from your current location, the effectiveness of DoT immunity via pet AA is unreliable, especially if you are the person rounding up the mobs into a cluster ahead of your group.

I suspect that Glowstiks AA range is huge, which is why it "feels" like that pet is more effective at combating Curse.

My other issue is that Nilbog AA cooldown is long. There are many, many cases where the AA is still on cooldown when you initiate contact with the next mob group; effectively meaning you are subject to a Curse death unless someone else has an AA available. I would greatly prefer to see egg-slotting take the AA cooldown from the host pet (i.e., Loki/Krampus/etc., with short cooldowns), which has the added side effect of making these pets more valuable/desirable. To combat OP'ness, let's say that Legendary and lower AA's would take the host cooldown, and Mythic and above AA's do not. No one want's to see Nekro shielding every 8 seconds in PvP.

Frankly, what makes these undead mages so maddening is their uncanny ability to insta-Curse. If a sorc leads with a Fireball to knockdown/stun, by the time a Rogue gets into position to attack, the undead mage comes out of the stun, lands a no-warning insta-Curse and boom....dead Rogue. Personally, my approach when there is a mob cluster that has a Curse mage is to follow in after a Fireball, use charged daggers to ensure an additional second of stun time before I do an Aimed/Nox/Pierce combo and get out of melee range.

Most of the time, a single combo is enough to kill these mages, but Curse only lands in melee range, so backing out after a combo does help reduce deaths. The problem is that in the deeper floors of the mausoleum, mob clusters often have several mages, so while you are backing out of range from one mage, you enter the range of the second, and boom, instant death.

Worse is when you get the purple wizards and their stacking damage reduction, making the mages awfully tanky. This can lead to a sticky situation that can result in many deaths when not handled properly.

This was very helpful. Also a logical reason why I find nilbog just not all that effective probably because its aa range is probably small. This makes him even less useful when running with all speed set party where things get chaotic.

One thing i find very helpful to avoid a bad messy situation of mobs mixed with purple wizards/witch with damage reduction and curse mages is to allow someone that has experience to pull mobs ahead that have knowledge of how to divide the mobs to not allow this to happen. I find that 90 percent the time when i gather mobs i find space in between these mage mobs to allow for targeting the purple mage or curse mage first without garnering any aggro of the other mage ahead. In essence you can be smart and do smaller pulls that separates the curse mage and purple mage. This strategy would require complete discipline of the dps party members from avoid running ahead of the warrior or fighting ahead of the mob which causes aggro from the mages ahead of the group. Unfortunately I sometimes run with speed set mages that run ahead and gather indiscriminately as large of a group of mobs as possible creating these messy situations.