PDA

View Full Version : Curious to know if making a guide for rooting Android phones would be useful here

Boykin
09-26-2011, 01:52 PM
I've heard a lot of people here complaining about not being able to screenshot on Android, and I was wondering if a guide made for rooting Android's more popular phones (that have working and reliable root methods) would be useful. Rooting a phone can be rather technical, and can result in bricking your phone. That's why I figured I would ask before constructing and posting such a guide. I don't want to get in trouble or anything like that.

I have experience with the entire Galaxy S line, most HTC phones, and the original Moto Droid.

Navygreen
09-26-2011, 01:56 PM
Hmm.. Besides placing in Off-Topic, im not sure how much more attention it would get here than any other place on the web. There's countless guides spread across the web on how to root certain phones. I may not be your best judge of something like this because, luckily, I didn't have to root to get screen shots working on my tab. But I did read about the process for this particular device, and while they say this tab was designed to make it super easy to root, there's still some very technical instructions on how to get it done. To me it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Not to mention, those guides are not very new-user friendly. You know what I mean? They all seem like they were written for the extra technical freaks (no offense, freaks are great!) who know all the terms and what everything means. If you wrote one, it would be a breath of fresh air if you could write it in everyday-people terms lol. :) Make it easy to read for people like me.

Rare
09-26-2011, 01:57 PM
I've heard a lot of people here complaining about not being able to screenshot on Android, and I was wondering if a guide made for rooting Android's more popular phones (that have working and reliable root methods) would be useful. Rooting a phone can be rather technical, and can result in bricking your phone. That's why I figured I would ask before constructing and posting such a guide. I don't want to get in trouble or anything like that.

I have experience with the entire Galaxy S line, most HTC phones, and the original Moto Droid.

I don't think you need root to take pictures using the SDK do you? Is there a root application that lets you take screen shots without the SDK?

ATL

Boykin
09-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Hmm.. Besides placing in Off-Topic, im not sure how much more attention it would get here than any other place on the web. There's countless guides spread across the web on how to root certain phones. I may not be your best judge of something like this because, luckily, I didn't have to root to get screen shots working on my tab. But I did read about the process for this particular device, and while they say this tab was designed to make it super easy to root, there's still some very technical instructions on how to get it done. To me it just wasn't worth the trouble.

Not to mention, those guides are not very new-user friendly. You know what I mean? They all seem like they were written for the extra technical freaks (no offense, freaks are great!) who know all the terms and what everything means. If you wrote one, it would be a breath of fresh air if you could write it in everyday-people terms lol. :) Make it easy to read for people like me.

That's why I was suggesting writing one for here. Anyone can do a search and find a developer community, but every community has a generalized sect of people they look for, and if you don't fit in you get left out. It tends to get intimidating even just searching around there, not to mention asking for help. I would love to help here. I think I can write the guides in such a manner that they'll be easy to pick up on.

Also, I apologize. I viewed this as a generalized question, related to helping players. I was torn between posting it in guides, and general discussion. I didn't think of Off-Topic at all. I am new here, and I'm hoping to be able to pick up on the guidelines better. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think you need root to take pictures using the SDK do you? Is there a root application that lets you take screen shots without the SDK?

ATL

Yeah, most people aren't running SDK's to play PL I don't believe, and if they were they certainty wouldn't need my help. There are multiple root applications that allow you to take screenshots. Some use timers, and some allow you to shake the phone to take a screenshot in whatever application you're in, as long as the screenshot app is still running in the background. Rooting also helps out with battery life, and a smoother (generally) user experience. Some people playing PL on older hardware might find a better gaming experience with root.

Swimmingstar
09-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Actually there is many useful guides already on the web so my opinion. No.

Yvonnel
09-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Everyone just needs to go over to the xda-developers forum. Everything you could ever want to do to an android phone.

Tapatalk'd from my PowerWashed Fascinate

Boykin
09-26-2011, 05:41 PM
Alrighty guys. Thanks for the input.

WoundedEagle
09-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I thought it was a good idea if you could pull it off. You could shoot a dev like Samhayne a message on here and see what he thinks.
-WE

Otukura
09-26-2011, 05:55 PM
IMO, if the only thing they want to do it for is screenshots, just give a link to a one click root like z4 and let them do that. Doesn't work for all phones, but works well enough if you're being lazy.

Boykin
09-26-2011, 06:55 PM
IMO, if the only thing they want to do it for is screenshots, just give a link to a one click root like z4 and let them do that. Doesn't work for all phones, but works well enough if you're being lazy.

Things like Z4root are more likely to brick a phone than a oneclick root, at least from my experience.

I thought it was a good idea if you could pull it off. You could shoot a dev like Samhayne a message on here and see what he thinks.
-WE

I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. Like I said, I'm new here and I just don't want to cause any problems.

WoundedEagle
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Things like Z4root are more likely to brick a phone than a oneclick root, at least from my experience.

I'll do that. Thanks for the tip. Like I said, I'm new here and I just don't want to cause any problems.
Well, though we may not say it, we all as a community appreciate you coming in and asking before making a move. Most of the time people just rush in and start making crazy threads and posts that aren't useful or start flame wars.

Thanks,
-we

Boykin
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
Tis why I asked. I was surprised how fast Samhayne got back to me. He gave me the go ahead, so I'm currently making a compilation of the most popular Android devices and their different respective root methods. I should be done by tomorrow sometime.

I'll make sure to get that thread in the right section as well :P

Rare
09-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Out of curiosity, can you point me to some of the screen shot apps? Or at least the names. I'm being lazy.

Thanks,

ATL

Boykin
09-27-2011, 09:15 PM
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.geeksoft.screenshot

I think this is the best free offer. I use an app called "Screenshot Er 2" but its a paid app.
I got side tracked today with the guide. So far I've got 3 devices done. Going to post it with the 5 most popular US Android devices tomorrow, and update it as I go.