PDA

View Full Version : User Interface Refinements in Work

Samhayne
09-27-2011, 12:19 PM
We want to follow up with you about the recent User Interface changes made to Pocket Legends. If you're late to the party, you can read about the changes from last Friday's Patch Notes: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?37687

We received a lot of great feedback from users about refinements they would like to see made to the User Interface. Below is a partial list of some of the refinements that will be going into Pocket Legends in an upcoming patch:

Adding several options to the options menu.
• “Show Emotes on HUD” – this restores the old, always visible emote button
• “Show Quest Helper” – turning this off removes the checkmark button and quest helper panel.
• “Toggle Quickchat” – setting this option moves the quickchat button back to the old location at the bottom of the screen.
• “Show Potions in Towne” – restores the red and blue potion icons in Towne.

Other changes:
• Virtual joystick moved down on iPad. This pretty much matches the location for Android tablets.
• Exit Level and Sector Map buttons switched places.

There are other changes, but we wanted to highlight the above to let you know that we were working on making the User Interface better.

stealthyman
09-27-2011, 12:21 PM
First! And awesome decision sam! :cool:

StompArtist
09-27-2011, 12:23 PM
We want to follow up with you about the recent User Interface changes made to Pocket Legends. If you're late to the party, you can read about the changes from last Friday's Patch Notes: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?37687

We received a lot of great feedback from users about refinements they would like to see made to the User Interface. Below is a partial list of some of the refinements that will be going into Pocket Legends in an upcoming patch:

• “Show Quest Helper” – turning this off removes the checkmark button and quest helper panel.
• “Toggle Quickchat” – setting this option moves the quickchat button back to the old location at the bottom of the screen.
• “Show Potions in Towne” – restores the red and blue potion icons in Towne.

Other changes:
• Virtual joystick moved down on iPad. This pretty much matches the location for Android tablets.
• Exit Level and Sector Map buttons switched places.

There are other changes, but we wanted to highlight the above to let you know that we were working on making the User Interface better.

Awesome. I really like the path you guys are taking with this, it does look so much better than the old one, the overlay approach looks amazing on my brand new Eee Pad Transformer (<- Shameless bragging about new tablet).

While this may be a bit out of subject I was wondering if it would ever be possible to map tablet keyboard keys to PL so, for example, we could use the arrow keys to move or hit P for a health potion... type stuff. I mean, not expecting something like this on short time frame, I was just wondering if that is something STS had considered.

Samhayne
09-27-2011, 12:26 PM
While this may be a bit out of subject I was wondering if it would ever be possible to map tablet keyboard keys to PL so, for example, we could use the arrow keys to move or hit P for a health potion... type stuff. I mean, not expecting something like this on short time frame, I was just wondering if that is something STS had considered.

Keyboard mapping will likely be included in the web / PC version of the game.

RedRyder
09-27-2011, 12:32 PM
S'long as the chat downscroll is fixed I'll be a happy camper :cat:

Mana Pool
09-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Awesome, thanks devs for always striving for a great game. With all the patches and new ideas trying to make it better. The toggle quickchat should fix my issue having to use shortcuts on my EVO after the new ui

JaytB
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Woot! The iPad joystick will move down! Only that already makes me a happy man :D

I hope something about the scroll buttons, in the text log window, is in the works too.

Anyway, great to hear you guys keep listening to the community. Looking forward to this update! :)

Kakatoa91
09-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Great news indeed.

Keep on the good work guys!

saool
09-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Awesome! I enjoy the new UI, my only compliant was the emotes lol :D

superglut2
09-27-2011, 01:08 PM
pls have feature to hide potions in town

Hankomachos
09-27-2011, 01:22 PM
THANK YOU for deciding to put emotes back to their original place! *blows kiss* ;)

Navygreen
09-27-2011, 01:47 PM

This may be completely irrelevant to this topic, Sam, but will the PC version connect to the same servers and everyone still play together?

Btw, thanks for the update again. It all seems very fair, imo. I would thank the OP but I reached my limit for 24 hours? :P

Cahaun
09-27-2011, 02:02 PM
I had to read this a couple times to fully understand the awesomeness of this update. Now all we have to do is bring back the old FH with its awesome quests formula and make the current on a side area incase someone misses it. I think it should happen because it is deep with story and had a cool place to hang out in the zombie castle.
I did manage to find a small bug. When you tap on the bar and the HUD comes up with the options, the virtual analog is showing through the "exit level" button. Thank you sooo much, Sam!
-Santa Abe-

Cahaun
09-27-2011, 02:03 PM

This may be completely irrelevant to this topic, Sam, but will the PC version connect to the same servers and everyone still play together?

Btw, thanks for the update again. It all seems very fair, imo. I would thank the OP but I reached my limit for 24 hours? :P
Wait a sec!! PL is a computer game!?!

xantor
09-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Can u plz fix the joystick covering the exit level when menu is pulled up thank you

Heroelite
09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
PL Is coming out for pc??????? omg!

Flip
09-27-2011, 02:23 PM
S'long as the chat downscroll is fixed I'll be a happy camper :cat:
Yes, it will be =)

Silentarrow
09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you!

bronislav84
09-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes! Thank you Sam! You WERE listening about the quick chat position. This will be for SL too right? Considering you wrote Sector Map and not World Map in the PL section, I can only hope so.

Cobraguy
09-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Hopefully without asking for too much we get a bigger health and mana bar. :)
Thanks for listening to your players, this is why i will continue to play for a long time to come, because of the great customer suppprt you guys have.

Kalielle
09-27-2011, 02:49 PM
Awesome!! This has everything I wanted - emotes, and ability to turn off the quest checkmark that gets in the way.

About the joystick button - could we get a setting under Options to keep it in the old place for those who like it where it is? I know a lot of people prefer it lower, but some of us liked it where it was and got used to having it that way over time.

I use my left hand's middle finger on the joystick and the thumb of the same hand on the bottom part of the screen to rotate the camera. This way I can use just one hand for movement and camera, and my right hand is free for spells. I think if the joystick were moved down that would be difficult to do. Also the iPad is too heavy for me to hold it in my hands so I'd never use my thumb on the joystick, and having it low when using a middle or index finger is not as comfortable - I know because it's that way in Gun Bros and it's harder to use. Plus it's nice to be able to move and type at the same time.

krazii
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks so much for listening to us and adjusting the game to fit our requests. The fact you listened scores big points.

Kaley, have you tried using the chase camera view? It takes some getting use to, mainly learning to run the maps from a different visual perspective, but once you do, no more swiping and I believe better game play overall. Give it a try for a couple days and tell me what you think.

Navygreen
09-27-2011, 04:18 PM
Kaley, have you tried using the chase camera view? It takes some getting use to, mainly learning to run the maps from a different visual perspective, but once you do, no more swiping and I believe better game play overall. Give it a try for a couple days and tell me what you think.

This sounds cool but is this available on Android? I haven't seen this option unless I just overlooked. Thanks!

bronislav84
09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

This sounds cool but is this available on Android? I haven't seen this option unless I just overlooked. Thanks!Been there since the beta, actually. Either you did overlook it or they took it out. One of those. :)

Chant
09-27-2011, 04:53 PM
I love you Sam! Please don't tell your wife. Emoting "blow kiss" ~ when I find it. :love_heart:

Navygreen
09-27-2011, 05:19 PM
Been there since the beta, actually. Either you did overlook it or they took it out. One of those. :)

I'll check when I get off tonight. :) Thx

WhoIsThis
09-27-2011, 05:57 PM
I don't think you'll be able to create a more efficient UI than the pre-change ones, but I will keep an open mind and withhold judgement until it gets released.

May I recommend changing the chat system, which is currently much more cumbersome and slower to use than the older system?

Whirlzap
09-27-2011, 06:11 PM

W
O
W
T
H
I
S
EPIC!

Xxmerrickxx
09-27-2011, 06:18 PM
what are the chances of us being able to get a mailbox?

swordlover
09-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Samhayne I don't mean to be mean but fix the dang server I am constantly getting kick to the point where as soon as I log in I am kicked pox fix soon!

Ellyidol
09-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Will the pop-up notifications also be moved from covering the last line in a 9-line extended chatbox? :)

Thanks Sam!

Zaltiar
09-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Uses "cry" emote, a cry of happiness. ;_; thank you sts dev team!
you rock our pl/sl socks off.

KTpantyhose
09-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Are there going to be nuri item scrap quests?

KTpantyhose
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
I would enjoy that too

swordlover
09-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow u removed my comment plz fix the server connection prob

Cobraguy
09-27-2011, 08:46 PM
Are there going to be nuri item scrap quests?
This would be very nice...prices for craft items ar pretty ridiculous.

krazii
09-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Sam,

Will these changes be implemented in SL also?

AdinoEznite
09-28-2011, 12:24 AM
cool!
any chances we can get loadouts on the main screen as well?

JulsAngel
09-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Thank you, sounds good. Can wait to see the new enhancements :positive:

Samhayne
09-28-2011, 09:53 AM
Sam,

Will these changes be implemented in SL also?

for the most part, yes.

Riccits
09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
will the resolution of images (skill buttons) adjusted to the correct size as it was too? its a bit ugly so... buttons seems not have a good quality and kinda streched.
iam on iphone 3gs

krazii
09-28-2011, 10:31 AM
for the most part, yes.

Thanks!

+1 on the load out on screen icon. Would be nice!

Navygreen
09-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Been there since the beta, actually. Either you did overlook it or they took it out. One of those. :)

No chase camera option in my menu! Only 'lock camera' which is not very fun. :(

KTpantyhose
09-28-2011, 11:37 AM
Thank you, sounds good. Can wait to see the new enhancements :positive:

... wait... new enchantments??

Zaltiar
09-28-2011, 11:44 AM
... wait... new enchantments??

He said enHANcements lol not enchantments :>

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

krazii
09-28-2011, 11:47 AM
No chase camera option in my menu! Only 'lock camera' which is not very fun. :(

Are you looking in PL or SL? The option is only in SL.

Navygreen
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Are you looking in PL or SL? The option is only in SL.

PL. :) I assumed that's what game we were talkin' about since it's in this forum. My mistake.

Thanks!

pastrychef
09-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Wow! Thanks for the latest update! All my concerns were addressed.

That being said, and I hate to sound ungrateful, but one more suggestion... On an iPad, the virtual joystick was originally placed near the upper left corner. The latest update moved it to the lower left corner. This location works well for small devices such as phones and iPod Touches, however, it doesn't work very well for tablets. Tablets are heavier and trying to balance it by gripping it with our thumbs while trying to control our characters can make for a painful experience.

My suggestion is to place the virtual joystick in the middle, left. Parallel to the skill buttons and between where the emotes and quest log icons would be ideal.

Again, thanks for the massive improvements in this update!!

* Copied from User Interface Feedback thread in Suggestions and Feedback section.