PDA

View Full Version : Spawning in CTF: Noobness or Strategy?

Zeus
09-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I say strategy. The reason being, if you need to buy your flag runner some time, the situation might require you to spawn. Armies in the real world do it as well, to bog down the forces until their mission is complete. Not letting them go after the mission is complete though is cheap, am I right?

Personally, I have noticed many call me a spawner because I was buying my teammate some time to score. I don't think that is right. It is a strategy, overdoing it though would be cheap. Opinions?

Silentarrow
09-27-2011, 10:10 PM
Ohhhhhh the art of spawn trapping :). Purely stradegy IMO (as long as the other team has a chance to fight back).

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=9oMPEkn4VHs

TANKKAAR
09-27-2011, 10:11 PM
I don't agree with entering the spawn chamber at all while game is on. Instead I suggest staying outside the chamber in that short corridor to keep them from coming out this allows you to buy your teammates time while not being labeled a spawned. Most players IMO have an issue with being shot and killed before they can even get one buff off.

Otukura
09-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Just sayin', spawn killing in the CTF Tourney will get you DSQ'd. We need to edit that in.

KingFu
09-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I find it very unfair. The fact the other player has nearly zero chance to kill the spawn killer makes it a very cheap tactic. If a player is not prepared in the middle of a map, that's the players fault. However, if a player doesn't even get a chance to prepare, and is just killed before he can push a button, I see it as something very cheap happened.

Ellyidol
09-27-2011, 10:27 PM
Depends, IMO. 1v1, cheap. 3v1, yet you can pull off holding them down, strategy.

I agree that it's better seen to wait outside the hall, but that entrance is too close to the route of the flag bearer, IMO.

Whirlzap
09-27-2011, 10:31 PM
Buying some time?
Pssh, go rush at them with all your will, buff up, cruel blast, etc.
But spawning in my opinions is just for newbies who can't PVP properly yet.
Not saying you are one, Apollo.
I once had a friend who honestly did not know how to PVP and went and rushed a few people.

(Also, you might want to watch what you do in PVP and such. People may look down to you as a GOA.)

Zeus
09-27-2011, 10:33 PM
I understand many of your points, I'm not doing it way excessively as in repeats on top of repeats of killings. More like 2 kills or so to buy my flag runner enough time to run past their chamber. Also, I never do it when it's one on one. More like two to three on one, especially when there is a stalemate between the two.

Zerious
09-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I can see where you're ideal is, but putting myself in the spawned player's shoes, I would get very annoyed... I would say stick to camping outside the chambers, this way you give the opponents a fair opportunity to retaliate. As for being 2v3 (you being 1 of 2), It's pretty sad that you'd be able to put 3 players on lockdown, I mean if 3 people can't take 1 person down after thier buffs are gone, they almost deserve to be spawned :D.

Nah but ultimately, spawning is a cheap shot, as is running. There's no skill involved really. You pop an opponent before their first buff is up... hooray... I'd say camping is more fair (not running, just waiting for the opponent to come nearby before banzai charging 'em).

Whirlzap
09-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Think about it if the other team did it to you lol.
I don't know why Devs didn't make different team rooms inenterable..
Valid points still.::...:/
I should go to sleep...so confused

WhoIsThis
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
I find it very unfair. The fact the other player has nearly zero chance to kill the spawn killer makes it a very cheap tactic. If a player is not prepared in the middle of a map, that's the players fault. However, if a player doesn't even get a chance to prepare, and is just killed before he can push a button, I see it as something very cheap happened.

+1

I consider it to be a bootable offense and no better than rushing. No honor whatsoever.

I think that you should be allowed to wait outside the door, but never enter the spawn room and get even 1 kill. The only time it's justified is if you didn't mean to enter it (ex: you got repulsed or stomped in). The other team's players should be allowed 1-2 seconds to get the bearings right.

Whirlzap
09-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Yeah. Here are stuff that annoys me:
-rushing
-kiting
-where birds run from mage AOES, quickly turn back and kill
-blast mana shield, run halfway across map(take a drink while at it) turn around, buff and kill
-warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-./
-tree hiding
-spawning
-hiding behind teammates

WhoIsThis
09-27-2011, 11:00 PM
-rushing
-kiting
-blast mana shield, run halfway across map(take a drink while at it) turn around, buff and kill
-warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-./
-tree hiding
-spawning
-hiding behind teammates

The ones in bold are legitimate tactics though. You are taking advantage of natural advantages of your class. Hiding behind teammates ... depends on the context. In group fights, having a tank charge in first and then the damage dealers or having a damage dealer go in and then move behind the tank is a legitimate tactic.

TANKKAAR
09-27-2011, 11:03 PM
-rushing
-kiting
-tree hiding
-spawning
-hiding behind teammates

Tell us how you really feel....lol

Kakatoa91
09-28-2011, 01:04 AM
My first taste of spawning kill was like 15 years ago on T4C (The 4th Prophecy), an old mmorpg on pc. The only server available where I could create a character for me at that time was Apocalypse.
It was full kill enable on all maps, on the other french servers it was disabled.
So i create an avatar, I spawned in a temple then a big blur, saw me lying on the floor... respawned automatically, blur, died again it seems, etc... and was loosing my clothes and my little dagger 1 by 1. Until I was totally naked.
I thought it was a bug lol.
Didnt know I was in a pure hardcore server where if u die u loose about 10-30% u wear, bag, gold on ground and exp to other player. That didnt stop me to get high lvl there in the end. A lot of players where abusing this kill loops, noone was safe unless u were a reborn character. After few weeks, the dev put finally the temple on safe zone.

Apart from Halo, some years ago. I got back that old feeling on PL, when I joined on a random ctf map lol. I stayed on floor and saw the 3(!) other opponents laughing and yea insulting the other dead player and me for no reason.
That kind of spawning kill only to get free kills with a 'bully attitude' is a big nono for me. 2 or 3 spawner killer is impossible for anyone.

On the other hand, I had a lot of fun games with spawning kills. 2 full teams using at max 1 spawn killer as tactical move to save the flag bearer or used as a suicid tactic.
No abuse here, mature play. That kind of play, I dont mind and love to replay with those players. So on this I'm with apo or elly.
But you cant play like that with everyone.

AbsolutePally
09-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Just sayin', spawn killing in the CTF Tourney will get you DSQ'd. We need to edit that in.

**Entering the spawn room of the opponent is strictly prohibited.**
Parth, posting this tactic on the verge of the CTF tournie is going to have to make us implement this rule. Hopefully no one gets inspiration to do this.
What is allowable however, is camping outside their spawn room. Standing there waiting for them to trickle out is fine.
I equate this tactic to starting the match before agree to go. You can say element of surprise, catch em off guard. Good war time strategy, used a lot in battle. But also a nono.

AbsolutePally
09-28-2011, 03:38 AM
-rushing
-kiting
***-warbirds/pallies bragging about being pro, they have less skill than less-armored stuff-.-***
-tree hiding
-spawning
-hiding behind teammates

* Im offended! :(

crestmage
09-28-2011, 03:55 AM
Low. Very Low. At least allow the other team to be able to fight back. There should be more better alternatives of stalling like thorns, stun, or frost.
And btw spawning is for low lvls, u dont have to go THAT low to gain kills. If u cant win, then accept it.

Ixillicus
09-28-2011, 05:51 AM
As been said above... and I agree... one shouldn't be entering their spawn at all (unless a mean ol' bear throws you in there). Otherwise, it's a forbidden area. I am perfectly fine with standing right outside the door and messing with them, though lol

Tamino
09-28-2011, 05:57 AM
I don't know why Devs didn't make different team rooms inenterable..
Totally agree. In PvP maps player spawns in one random place distant from other players (if possible). Spawn point in CTF is fixed, it would be fair to implement a blocked entry. I saw a lot of spawn killers in CTF among 20-35 levels, but really few in 50-55 range. On my side, I always wait outside room.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Allright, thanks for your opinions. Then, when necessary I will stand outside the PvP room, something I have done many times but if the situation required it, I admit to entering.

Thanks for clarifying the subject at hand. I couldn't tell if I was in the right or wrong. Always figured it as strategy and a challenge when done to me, but it seems like the general public is against it. That is something I will respect and follow.

So, long story short. I will modify the strategy a bit. Y'all say that standing outside is fine. I guess I will do that if we can't penetrate their defenses.

I'm more of a PvP person rather than CTF, so some of the rules I'm unfamiliar with. :P. Although, in PvP I do know spawning is a no no. xD

Thanks for your time!

Navygreen
09-28-2011, 01:36 PM
I am so ignorant to PvP and the slang/terms used in these events. Can someone please please explain what spawning means and why it's bad? I know what it means to spawn onto a certain map but I can't put the two together and see how this could be a bad thing. One day I actually plan on adventuring into these areas (PvP, CTF).

Thanks guys/girls.

TANKKAAR
09-28-2011, 01:46 PM
I am so ignorant to PvP and the slang/terms used in these events. Can someone please please explain what spawning means and why it's bad? I know what it means to spawn onto a certain map but I can't put the two together and see how this could be a bad thing. One day I actually plan on adventuring into these areas (PvP, CTF).

Thanks guys/girls.

If spawning is that act of appearing in a map.

Then spawn killing is the act of killing a person right as they spawn.

This is typically highly frowned upon no matter what level you are and can lead to very serious raging..lol... Essentially when a person spawns they are utterly helpless no buffs, no defenses and depending on lag they can potentially be killed before their screen even shows that they have fully spawned. Put simply its not a very honorable thing to do.

Spawn killings bad Mmmmmm KAy!

Navygreen
09-28-2011, 01:49 PM
If spawning is that act of appearing in a map.

Then spwan killing is the act of killing a person right as they spawn.
This is typically highly frowned upon no matter what level you are and can lead to very serious raging..lol... Essentially when a person spawns they are utterly helpless no buffs, no defenses and depending on lag they can potentially be killed before there screen even shows that they have fully spawned. Put simply its not a very honorable thing to do.

Oooh ok spawn killing. Yeah that's a no-no I think in any game. Especially FPS games. Would it work if STS added invincibility for -this # of seconds- to protect against this? Seems to be a popular fix to these kinds of problems. Thanks a lot, Tank!

Kraze
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
-rushing
-kiting
-tree hiding
-spawning
-hiding behind teammates
So what you are looking for is a bird to stand there and let you nuke them without fighting back?

Draco Mikato
09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
I've always waited outside the spawn room, and only when they gett within range, or buff have I started attacking. It was with same intent as you, though Parth. To buy time and sacrifice myself while the goal is made. Sometimes i'd just repulse them away or root them before I play bodyguard or act as an obstacle in the center all to buy time. Its the beauty of having a warbird with Fury. Well, I haven't played since the level cap increase, but it was a beautiful strategy.

TANKKAAR
09-28-2011, 02:15 PM
So what you are looking for is a bird to stand there and let you nuke them without fighting back?

Lol... Isn't that what we all want?

Ayc2000
09-28-2011, 04:46 PM
if you do go in the room for a little bit, i think its ok, just as long as you do it only once. i usually stand right in that tiny hallway space and when i see them buff, i attack...so they're half buffed lol
what i hate is when there's a bear who pulls me into the room and then someone respawns and i accidently kill them, so they accuse me of spawning.

Neffy
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Considering it's not the easiest thing to do, I say skill.

Buddyf97
09-28-2011, 10:47 PM
I think spawning is legigitiment to an extence. Entering the spawn room is a big no-no due to not giving the other team a fair chance. If that were my game, the person will be booted immediately... On the other hand, sitting across from the enterance to the spawn room is perfectly fine. People who enter the room and get "the upper hand" are the ones who really need the upper hand in battles. Do us all a favor; stay out of our spawn!

wyteboy
10-01-2011, 04:21 AM
yeah what u r doing Apollo isn't spawn camping. going into the room and killing while opponent is loading up is spawn camping. people usually spawn camp if they can insta kill u. even spawn camping isn't the easiest thing to do because ur buffs will go down and they will get theres back every respawn. soo gl spawncampers ;)