PDA

View Full Version : On Sloucho and Numa, and a few other things to consider for the next one

Hullukko
09-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Now, that I'm over 90% done with 31 I began reflecting what it's been like and what the life after 31 would seem to hold for me. And I have to admit I am not exactly thrilled, massively less this time (when comparing to the numa 26 or even PL ao3 50 and bs 56). Comparing numa with sloucho reveals few significant differences.

Enemies in Sloucho are less varied than in Numa
The enemies are all rather alike in sloucho. In numa there were a wider range of enemies, i.e them dogs, sprites, different types of gunners, jedi sandpeople, big black spiderlike vulars, minibosses and the guardian. And most importantly one had to deal with each of them rather differently. In Sloucho I feel like there's host of bots, minibosses and the director. And aside from director they are all dealt identically, none of them need any special treatment and are arguably all too easy to begin with.

Maps in Sloucho are less varied than in Numa
In sloucho all five maps are rather identical, which is not simply a bad thing. For running purposes it allows thirties to run 1-4 for example, to avoid boredom without making significant losses in efficiency.
I would appreciate maps having somewhat different character, yet being suitable for close to level cap and cap+1 runners. It's not a simple feat to balance between the interest, challenge, reward and all that, but imho it was accomplished in Numa rather well and in sloucho, well, not so well. I wonder if this has ever been better achieved than it was in PL BS (pre gcd) where all of the maps where massively run by cap players, they had different character and sufficiently different drops making all of the feasible and worth while. Well, of course the aoe3 was good and varied, too, plenty to do for fifties of all kinds.

Maps in Sloucho are too easy
As a corollary to the last one, the maps from the first hall of films pretty much right up to the director are a breeze. On first go as a bunch of 26s we ran with mere few deaths right up to the director (and did get our butts whooped there throroughly). Again in Numa at least the Uncharted Ruins was a little more challenging. It was tough to solo and an experienced player could find nice challenge there by picking up a group of not-much-over-twenties and trying to keep them alive and deal with the guardian in a reasonable amount of time.

Remember them yellow speed crystals
I think their power hasn't been fully investigated yet. In numa they worked wonders when you could join a game in even it's late stages and catch up with them yellow crystals. I thought that was a fabulous idea. There can be seen dangers there, if people begin to lurk and seek out late games, but it never became a real problem with the guardian runs and that was late rewarding map, au contraire, friends made many guardian invites to help them out and that was made possible by the yellow crystals. Moreover, these days the significant drops are the vanities and they drop where ever, reducing the need for taking down bosses significantly (because the purps are overly cheap and common anyway and the pinks are useless aside from their price and rarity), yet speed crystals could allow people to join late pugs more frequently.

Expert maps?
PL players remember Vic Laps? Not to mention shadow caves... (although, they were soon made infeasible by not enough drops, costing too much pot-wise and when finally when BS got out as powerfull 50+s we could've run them the kills weren't allowed) Even the BS maps were wider and varied.

Something to do as at a level cap when running for the cap+1. Heck, in the PL bs there were many many people that either didn't exp-pot at all or exp-potted infrequently. One way to accomplish that could be to make a little more challenging bonus map or something.

Rewarding
Anything that's even mildly interesting should be at least mildly rewarding. Currently there seems to be absolutely no reason to run the director. It takes longer and no reward what so ever. Or none that people have found out so far. The director is not the best example of this. The shadow caves are. Although they were massively fun to run. They cost a lot potwise and pinks were just too damn infrequent (after the initial week) to have made it worth while. And then when we had the gear and levels to run them when bs had come out and they were still the most challenging levels to run we weren't granted kills and no one ran them even then. Such a waste considering that in my opinion they were one the best maps in SL/PL saga. The shadows caves, vic laps and stronghold pulls, god I miss them. I'd put the Uncharted Ruins right up there with them, but I'm afraid the sloucho will not be remembered as the greatest although it is probably the best looking (in spite of it being a tad white, and thus also bright, making it a little problematic for me, who likes to play late at night at bed next to my wife and kids who all prefer sleeping over looking at my flashing tab. thank god the paparazzi flashes were reduced.)

Something to do...
Once 31 in Sloucho, what is there to do?
Farm for vanities? Hardly. (don't get me wrong, I find it brilliant that they're just that rare, if for nothing else at least there's that left for me)
Making money to buy one. I guess that's it.

Cyber Quests, pinks, different stat sets (in PL a mage had the brilliant option of speccing to a pure int, a pally or a dexchantress. none of that exists anymore :( so there's three times less of the collecting to do), they were all something to do. I think the amount of level cap people running the snowball quest showed that one out of something on one's stat screen is plenty to keep people busy. :)

I'm not complaining
New content is new content. Trying to cater for us all is immensely difficult. I'm merely trying to point out things that I've found good and bad in the hopes that some of these observations might help improve the next 30-35 content towards things that players like me and others, too, might find worth while. There are people that have spent a lot more/less time and money for these games than I have, these were just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

EDIT: I added this because it does deserve a notion and I initially forgot it
Crafting (thanks elly)
I liked it this time, a lot. The wide range of new materials and their varied availability made things very interesting for a good amount of time. The crafted gear, in my opinion, was just the right amount better. There have been enough suggestions about making crafting even better that I'll leave that to those who have more experience on the matter than I do.

Set bonuses
Like I said, the set bonuses were brilliant this time around, they've tended to be a notch too good in my opinion, especially when for the most part the sparkles would've been a sufficient reward. And thank the heavens the weapon didn't complete the set, but the dispenser/widow/crusher/incinerator remained an open question and the comparisons were interesting as was the case with the shield altogether. Sadly however, it turned out that the 2 handed dispenser was too whimpy (or the widow too powerful) and the 1h vs 2h dualism was pretty much lost for engineers.

Ellyidol
09-28-2011, 06:05 AM
Long post, but exactly right on each of the points.

I know what you mean though, I don't mean to complain either, I just find Numa having that more unique factor rather than just guns up and blaze through levels.

On the bright side, I do like the uniqueness of Director though. Despite being pretty much useless compared to Guardian, I do find it engaging to defeat it.

But my favorite aspect that Slouch-o brought was the crafting. I think this new feature pretty much made it quite close to Numa in general. I love the new armor and the emphasis on crafting materials.

About 31, maybe if they added an elite reward it could get more valuable to get the elite level. There's that very empty Vanity Wing section that's collecting dust (aside from SG's). ;)

Nice read altogether, reminds me of AO3 to BS transition :)

PS. Again, don't you just love the armor? :D

WolfShaman
09-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Well said Hullukko! While I'm not at cap level in SL as you are (lvl22 Commando), I have seen/experienced the same concerns in PL. Being a lvl60 Mage my experience is minimal contact with a reward worth having. Legendary items are scarce past lvl40.

One would think the devs would want to reward the player(s) with loot that says, "You've accomplished (X) you now receive (Y). However, that is not the case. It begs the question then: is the Community at large to blame? Forum writers are passionate about what [they] want for themselves or Guild. Devs listen. Tweak the change(s) in the guise of bettering the game as a whole. However, with tweaking, there comes the cascade effect of newer players being affected. Look at the controversy presently boiling over Helms and Crowns on PL.

Tweaking is fine. As long as it improves the game as a whole, for everyone. Not just a select few who have the ears of the developer.

Hullukko
09-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Long post, but exactly right on each of the points.

I know what you mean though, I don't mean to complain either, I just find Numa having that more unique factor rather than just guns up and blaze through levels.

On the bright side, I do like the uniqueness of Director though. Despite being pretty much useless compared to Guardian, I do find it engaging to defeat it.

But my favorite aspect that Slouch-o brought was the crafting. I think this new feature pretty much made it quite close to Numa in general. I love the new armor and the emphasis on crafting materials.

About 31, maybe if they added an elite reward it could get more valuable to get the elite level. There's that very empty Vanity Wing section that's collecting dust (aside from SG's). ;)

Nice read altogether, reminds me of AO3 to BS transition :)

PS. Again, don't you just love the armor? :D

Oh yes, crafting the customs was brilliant. I could've and should've put more effort into praising what was good in sloucho, because obviously they are something we want more. The good part about the crafting customs, in my opinion, was that the custom armor (with it's bonus especially) is just that much better and not an inch more. The +1 mr for an engineer is exactly what the doctor ordered and yet it leaves her very much below the demigoddess hood. (hmmm, I guess I'm still accustomed to referring to mages and mage-like toons as females) And I think it was about as laborious as it perhaps should be. Maybe it could've been a notch more laborious, but it's always a difficult line to draw.

And about the elite reward, well obviously the crown of persistence in bs was something to remember, but I was more trying to make point about what happens after it. The laborious max level obtainable is always a reward in its own right, but at least in PL there always were plenty to do as max level char. Heck, I'd say that in ao3 the game only begun once you got to 50. Cyber quests, vic laps and the infamous snowball quest that you had to do at some point. Stuff like that. Things to do when all the exp is obtained. Little things, I guess, but important, never more so than now that they're absent. There's the kills of course, but to me that's always been something that just happens when you do things. :)

SL, of course, is still in its infancy, and I'm certain the dev have their hands full. I am anxiously waiting what the future holds.

Ellyidol
09-28-2011, 08:02 AM
And about the elite reward, well obviously the crown of persistence in bs was something to remember, but I was more trying to make point about what happens after it. The laborious max level obtainable is always a reward in its own right, but at least in PL there always were plenty to do as max level char. Heck, I'd say that in ao3 the game only begun once you got to 50. Cyber quests, vic laps and the infamous snowball quest that you had to do at some point. Stuff like that. Things to do when all the exp is obtained. Little things, I guess, but important, never more so than now that they're absent. There's the kills of course, but to me that's always been something that just happens when you do things. :)

Ah, in that case, I agree. There's really nothing special to do at 31. I'm almost tempted to say that I would have preferred the custom sets come at 31 (I know it's extreme, but in the sense that there would be something to aim for and purpose for 31). :)

Kakatoa91
09-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Good post Hull.

Sts have had quite an experience with PL to make SL a good product. Trying to avoid past mistakes, integrating good ideas sooner. Like no loopholes in leaderboard, gender choice, set bonus on purple already, sparkling on full set, special room class specific, using emotes to kill boss, more team oriented games, guild, crafting...

If we compare with PL, the other big difference is the free maps for me!!
Only the 1st 2 maps were free when I started PL I think. But hey like many people who got hooked I paid for all the maps.
Ok, I repeat SL is free lol.:p

Next thing the city towns, in PL for lvl 1-30 we got 5 towns, in SL only 2. Thats an other good point. Simplification and no ghost towns. Also novice players get help better since everybody and everything are on the Blackstar, the main first town spaceship.

Now still comparing with PL at same stage 1-30 lvl no need to go over, let see the pve maps:
Ucs B* 5 maps
Dyna * 5
Redsun 5
Cycorp 5
Delta 5
Numa 5
Slouch 5
Total 25 maps.

FH 6+1
Dark 5+2
Bale 5+2
Wyld 3
Fathom 5+2
Sand 5+1, added later & still plat paid map
Lost ex 5+2
Total 44 maps

Thats 19 more maps in PL for the same amount of theme maps (7). We have in those extra maps, the ones with bosses gatherings and where we can farm specific pink drops.
Not including also we have some free pvp/ctf maps and special hidden dungeons in some towns... Friiiidge...!
We have still today a bit more things to do in PL.
Having read on what Sam wrote saying they were working on 5 lvls new maps and no pvp for long time, I wonder when they will break the linearity on SL that could bored anybody. But dont forget SL is less than 2 months old on android... and 1 month only on ios... young game still :o

Like Hull said im a bit more fond also of numa. Eventough there r no special class rooms.
Hunting for the greens to get full set on guardian maps felt more rewarding at that time. Elite chest were more generous than those on sloucho.
Emote actions to deal more dmg is good and fun on last sloucho map. But boss droid is so tightwad. Giving less good drops than any other boss or normal mobs.
Well I wont spit on that since I had a pink quite early on and an ever elusive vanity not so long ago on those mobs. (Really no reason to boot now if you wrongfully believe that someone is going to steal the good drop at boss, in their logic they should boot people at start of map now lol).
I know its hard to keep balance itg with the drops and satisfy all the players.

SL has been market as a more mature game than PL.
Until Sloucho, we were killing humanoid aliens, alien insects, alien plants, alien animals, humans (yes you can hear them agonizing when we shoot them)... I didnt notice at first but the robots/androids eventough they r really well made and fitting with the cinema theme r more friendly jhonny5 type than t-500 terminator or robocop. Not gruesome enough for me. Well they did some dmg when you c the first map with human corpses lying dead on floor in blood all over. But sadly no more in the next maps.:cool:

I can imagine the next new maps with new vanities, weapon crafting, a bit more pinkies drop at least something to make a set. If the sloucho pinks r unique Id have prefer implant, weapon or shield instead.
Hope we will have nice surprises. :)

Darkfader
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Elite zone would be nice to see on one day, like frozen nightmares or shadow caves in pocket legends.

Mreeks
09-28-2011, 09:46 PM
great comments Hullukko, and i echo many of your thoughts. One of the things i greatly miss between PL and SL is the ability to re-spec attributes and use weapons/items of the other classes. I miss it alot, but you know at the same time it makes sense to have class-specific weapons/items. i'm really torn on this one!

A couple of additions to your comments though - i am a PL player from back when there was an ao to ao2 wait (lvl 40 cap) and ao2 to ao3 wait (lvl 45 cap - this was long wait lol). And we ran those maps to death plus some, even though we had been lvl and XP capped for months. I think the main reason for this is that they were fun and challenging - even with a level capped party running pure boss-runs, deaths happened quite regularly! And it was enjoyable and funny. These maps in particularly were quite big - actually PL maps in general were quite big compared to SL maps. In fact, i remember getting lost in the swamps many many times! lol For me, the things to enjoy most in PL were i) the mini-bosses, that either had to be killed or dragged to the boss and ignored (deaths were not uncommon) and ii) that you could do a boss-run relatively directly. Many of the SL maps have doors that require keys to open etc - i actually enjoy this, but for different reasons. However, most people think the Numa maps are the best fun, and they don't have doors and remind me most of PL. I guess what i am trying to say is that it would be great in the next set of maps to have a combination of fast-boss/run type maps and slower maps.

lastly - crafting is awesome! And grinding for crafting items is good - maybe in future make some recipes only droppable (not purchasable from seller).

drop rate - tough, i've not seen a pink or vanity drop, and have only had 2 custom recipes drop for me. But I like that its tough, please don't make drop rates any easier - even though i am bitter and frustrated at my lack of success!