PDA

View Full Version : Are people asking to boost their "Thanks" ratings to get a higher reputation?

Zeus
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I am utterly confused. As I browse around forums, the "Thanks" indicator is going up exponentially, almost at an unnatural rate, on people's avatars. Some of them aren't even making that many posts.

I had a theory. Maybe people are asking their guilds to thank their posts? Please tell me I'm wrong, because if this is what it boils down to, I am utterly shocked and horrified why anybody would want to put such a visage on. Wouldn't this totally distort the meaning of a forum reputation system? I am not going to call anybody out in particular, but those of you that are guilty know who you are. IMO, it is utterly disgusting. It's like doing a good deed for the sake of a reward, not out of kindness? What is the point?

Opinions, Insight, Advice? Post here!

Silentarrow
09-28-2011, 08:47 PM
Some players have just been thanking everybody a ton :). There is a certain thread (not calling out :)) where everyone who has posted has been thanked! Maybe the devs should change it so you have to "spread some thanks around" like you have to for the thumbs up feature?

Moogerfooger
09-28-2011, 08:49 PM
We have Thanks and Reputation points? ;)

Just keep on doing what you're doing, brotherman. Don't sweat people who manipulate the system, if that's what is going on. Smart people can see right through it, anyway.

Edit: Silent has a good point about the 'spreading around' idea.

Zeus
And which thread is this? May you PM me it? I would honestly love to see it. I realize some of the thanks are deserved, but honestly this many users having this fast of a reputation building is just unnatural.

Conradin
Agreed- i have see people with loads of thanks for no appartent reason. I think thanks and rep points should be completely on the thanking persons behalf- no prompting or asking other people to thank.

Otukura
I don't really like to Thanks feature, tbh. The rep one was working perfectly.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Also, please note. It doesn't really bother me on my reputation system, as people already know the reputation I have--TROLL! ;)

I was just concerned and honestly a bit mortified by the ratings increasing so fast. Lol!

Wretch
09-28-2011, 08:54 PM
Only thanked one myself.... Don't even know or care if I've been thanked or rep'd....

There will always be those that try and do cheat the system.

Like you said it doesn't go unnoticed, and they themselves know what they did!

Edit: lol just noticed after I posted this the thanks stats under the avatar... I feel dumb now! In my own defence, I'm always on mobile and zoom to exclude that part of the screen.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Only thanked one myself.... Don't even know or care if I've been thanked or rep'd....

There will always be those that try and do cheat the system.

Like you said it doesn't go unnoticed, and they themselves know what they did!

Yeah, it just irks me that you can't do anything to stop those people. :/

Ellyidol
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I don't know what to say, since I jumped pretty fast but did not do such a thing. :(

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:02 PM
I don't know what to say, since I jumped pretty fast but did not do such a thing. :(

Elly, we all know of your excellent work. I was referring to those who just started jumping in rating that didn't really do much. :) I think you jumped fast because you already had many points collected before Sam fixed the reputation bar. :D

Ellyidol
09-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Elly, we all know of your excellent work. I was referring to those who just started jumping in rating that didn't really do much. :) I think you jumped fast because you already had many points collected before Sam fixed the reputation bar. :D

Hope so. I didn't wanna seem guilty and defend myself or such, cause I really haven't done such a thing, I just couldn't help but think that I may be a prime example :(

All good though :)

Wretch
09-28-2011, 09:06 PM
Yeah Elly.... No doubt in my mind the you legitimately earned your rep and thanks

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Hope so. I didn't wanna seem guilty and defend myself or such, cause I really haven't done such a thing, I just couldn't help but think that I may be a prime example :(

All good though :)

Lol, I doubt anybody would archetype you as an offender of this system! That would be outlandish!

Ellyidol
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Lol, I doubt anybody would archetype you as an offender of this system! That would be outlandish!

Thanks! And I love your vocabulary :D

TANKKAAR
09-28-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes, I like the idea very much of having to "spread some thanks" around before you can re-thank a member! There was a thread earlier someone had been thanked 30 times in 30 posts which to me SCREAMS manipulation of the systemto me.... what makes it worse is that they were all from the same person to the same person :-/

Anyways I hope this can be fixed ASAP!

Samhayne
09-28-2011, 09:12 PM
The mod has limitations that the user doesn't see that addresses the concerns you have.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes, I like the idea very much of having to "spread some thanks" around before you can re-thank a member! There was a thread earlier someone had been thanked 30 times in 30 posts which to me SCREAMS manipulation of the systemto me.... what makes it worse is that they were all from the same person to the same person :-/

Anyways I hope this can be fixed ASAP!

Yep, this is a blasphemy! ;)

See what I did there, Elly?

EDIT: Thanks Elly!

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:14 PM
The mod has limitations that the user doesn't see that addresses the concerns you have.

Sam, you so ninja. Ninja so you. So you ninja? Teach me your ways, master sensei.

DawnInfinity
09-28-2011, 09:18 PM
I'm not a fan of either the reputation or thanks system, really.

Wretch
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Hahaha! Thanks for somewhat clarifying Sam!

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm not a fan of neither the reputation nor thanks system, really.

Just had to, with SATS coming up and all. <3

DawnInfinity
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
I have subject tests on Saturday. I'm having one of your episodes from the other day cause I'm on like 3 different cold medications...

Moogerfooger
09-28-2011, 09:24 PM

Saying "I'm not a fan of neither" is uhhh yeah not...unless I missed an edit somewhere ;)

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:24 PM
I have subject tests on Saturday. I'm having one of your episodes from the other day cause I'm on like 3 different cold medications...

LOL! Have fun! They don't require California to take Subject Tests anymore, thank god. I lucked out. :D

Lemme know if you can walk right; better yet, lemme know if you can run on a treadmill. :D

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Saying "I'm not a fan of neither" is uhhh yeah not...unless I missed an edit somewhere ;)

If you're disagreeing with two different things, you use "neither-nor" though, correct? Ugh, these grammar rules are messing with my head! I need my mojitos, now! Mango please.

DawnInfinity
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Parth, msn..?

Moogerfooger
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
If you're disagreeing with two different things, you use "neither-nor" though, correct? Ugh, these grammar rules are messing with my head! I need my mojitos, now! Mango please.

It'd be "I'm not a fan of either the X or the y" or "I'm a fan of neither the X nor Y". "I'm not a fan of neither" is a double negative, lol. I ain't gonna take no grammar mistakez from youse! (see what I did there? ha)

Grammar Police switch OFF. I am bored. Forgive me :D

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:31 PM
It'd be "I'm not a fan of either the X or the y" or "I'm a fan of neither the X nor Y". "I'm not a fan of neither" is a double negative, lol. I ain't gonna take no grammar mistakez from youse! (see what I did there? ha)

Grammar Police switch OFF. I am bored. Forgive me :D

OH! I knew about the double negative too, so stupid that I didn't catch that. Bleh, I got owned by stud muffin. Future reference to the ladies and gents watching. Studmuffin is called stud muffin for a reason. If you try to eat him, his studs will break yo' teeth!

Moogerfooger
09-28-2011, 09:35 PM
OH! I knew about the double negative too, so stupid that I didn't catch that. Bleh, I got owned by stud muffin. Future reference to the ladies and gents watching. Studmuffin is called stud muffin for a reason. If you try to eat him, his studs will break yo' teeth!

Lol. No ownage here. Just helpin' a bro get his marblez straight after a temporary misalignment ;) Whenever I get lost, I just say, "I'm not lost, I'm just temporarily disoriented". Just claim temporary insanity/disorientation/marblez-lostage :D

Back on topic, I will thank you for no good reason other than I can.

WhoIsThis
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
I pointed this one out when the reputation system was first implemented. It's too easy to exploit.

I think overall, the forums would be a better place if the thanks and reputation system were abolished altogether. It is redundant, but worse, it is misleading. Absent of a system, we have already all established a reputation in the forums (most people who have posted in this thread anyways).

It's best to judge a post by the content of what it provides. Generally, people with higher post counts are more reliable.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Lol. No ownage here. Just helpin' a bro get his marblez straight after a temporary misalignment ;) Whenever I get lost, I just say, "I'm not lost, I'm just temporarily disoriented". Just claim temporary insanity/disorientation/marblez-lostage :D

Back on topic, I will thank you for no good reason other than I can.

Temporarily disorientated by those mojitos? ;)

NECROREAPER
09-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I've Also noticed that it's not just the thanks that are being over used for rep, but also a lot of newer for members are just posting one or two word responses to boosttheir post count. I know of one person who had just 200 posts a couple weeks ago and now he has almost 600.... -_____-

WhoIsThis
09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
I've Also noticed that it's not just the thanks that are being over used for rep, but also a lot of newer for members are just posting one or two word responses to boosttheir post count. I know of one person who had just 200 posts a couple weeks ago and now he has almost 600.... -_____-

This does remind me of how several players put together hastily written guides in the hopes of being selected for GOA ... it's obvious and it shows.

On that note, things like GOA or boosting reputation ... why does it matter so much to people anyways? There is no reward for either (although having the ability to lock your own thread may be useful and to be honest, I think that all users should be allowed that right or at least ones with an established reputation). I guess people just want that shield badly and want to have lots of "thanks" under their name.

Ebalere
09-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Well I was surprised to have gotten 2 bars or 3, whichever, (I use android app most of the time.) You can tell by my thanks that I only thank posts that genuinely have helped me. I hope everyone did the same for me. I got most of mine from my recent contest, my Operative build guide, and some random posts on others' threads. The reputation system is important to me if it is here to stay, as I hope to be taken seriously as a contributor. I've seen a few forumers with one red bar, which throws me off when reading their post, and I'm sure others feel the same. If this reputation system must be in place, then I hope there's no way to abuse it. Those thank you's I recieved make me feel good, and if I knew they were ill-gotten, I wouldn't get that good feeling anymore.

Whirlzap
09-28-2011, 11:38 PM
Honestly, my opinion of this is people putting:
"If this post was helpful, thumbs up!"
In their signature. I did it once but then removed.
I'm proud of Ellyidol because I haven't seen him put any "boost my rep if this was helpful" in his signature and simply earned it because people thought he was helpful.
Not bashing anyone, simply saying this statement:
People already know that there is a rep/thanks system, what's the point in puting it in your signature?
Look around, I'm pretty sure 99% of people with over one bar of rep has a "thunbs up if this was helpful" in their signature.

Zaltiar
09-28-2011, 11:54 PM
Look around, I'm pretty sure 99% of people with over one bar of rep has a "thunbs up if this was helpful" in their signature.

Elly is a beast. And I'm guessing people put that in their sign because the thanks system is still pretty new so new forumers might not know about this feature. And btw not everyone with over 1 bar ask that in their sign :)
I'm glad that the main contributers in the forums are acknowledged. But I could see how the "thanks" system could be misused. Also the tapatalk app only allows the use of thanks :/, hopefully the thumbs up feature is also implemented as you can actually give a reason for it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Ebalere
09-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Honestly, my opinion of this is people putting:
"If this post was helpful, thumbs up!"
In their signature. I did it once but then removed.
I'm proud of Ellyidol because I haven't seen him put any "boost my rep if this was helpful" in his signature and simply earned it because people thought he was helpful.
Not bashing anyone, simply saying this statement:
People already know that there is a rep/thanks system, what's the point in puting it in your signature?

Well, I didn't even know about this feature till I saw it in DanielRh's sig. So I figured why not? Whats the big deal anyway? If the feature is going to be here then might as well make use of it. If it's "looked down upon" I will remove it, but to be honest I just put that in a day or two ago and haven't recieved any thanks since as far as I know. I don't know what the big habub is about. If there were ranks based on post count, then the forums would be much worse off. At least people are trying to contribute and I'd rather see a sketchy build guide than half of the other threads that get made in a day. I think the ones who are taking this so seriously need to realize that no matter the bars under someones name, we all know who that person is, and if their info can be deemed helpful before reading it.

Edit: on laptop now, and I see irony in this thread. I think popularity can earn you a few thumbs up here and there. Example, and no offense Otu, but if you were random Joe schmoe do you think you would have been thanked twice for what you added to the conversation? Valid opinion, yes. Worthy of two thumbs up? No.

Double Edit: Would any of you that are bothered by this, still be bothered if you had more rep bars? Or are you mad that you aren't getting thanked as much as others are? Another good point to make while I'm here, is should fellow guildmates be afraid to thumbs up their fellow members post if it did help them? Wouldn't human nature make you more inclined to do so if you had the option to, and the thread or post in question truly helped you? On your excellent new PvP guide, should Tankkaar, Crim, or kungfu be afraid to thumbs up your post for fear of you being called on this issue? I just think too much weight is being put into this new system. What counts is the post. Even Samhayne make pointless posts sometimes. We're all just having fun and if one starts taking things too seriously it begins to feel like a job.

I reread this and hope I didn't offend anyone or anything, just made a few observations within the thread as I didn't have much time on a laptop tonight. Sorry in advance if anyone takes offense to my post.

darkfussion
09-29-2011, 12:28 AM
I see nothing wrong about saying "thumbs up if you found this helpful/liked", in your thread. I do it in my creative thread! It's a motivation to keep making creative stuff for me, when you know players are liking and appreciating what you do. Just by reading this I can tell a lot of people still don't know this reputation thing is out.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:30 AM
I see nothing wrong with it as well, but I also see that xWhirlz has a point. It does come off as that way, thus I removed mine. I'll monitor over the next few days of how it affects it.

darkfussion
09-29-2011, 12:33 AM
Im not trying to say post it on everything, but if your post has meaning and has taken sometime might as well throw it out there lol :p

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 12:34 AM
What's up with Xwhirlz?
You know I like being called Whirlz!

But yeah, removing it for a few days and checking what happens can make you realize what a big change their is.
(too lazy to correct grammar, parth halp me)

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Elly is a beast. And I'm guessing people put that in their sign because the thanks system is still pretty new so new forumers might not know about this feature. And btw not everyone with over 1 bar ask that in their sign :)
I'm glad that the main contributers in the forums are acknowledged. But I could see how the "thanks" system could be misused. Also the tapatalk app only allows the use of thanks :/, hopefully the thumbs up feature is also implemented as you can actually give a reason for it.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk
The truth is, anyone can get any amount of bars they want.
For example, if I wanted 10 bars, I could just go and make hundreds of "helpful" threads and put "ADD REP!" under each thread. And whoever stated the fame thing is completely correct.
Even if I had 10 bars or -10 bars, I still would like to be treated as Whirlz and ONLY Whirlz.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:42 AM
The truth is, anyone can get any amount of bars they want.
For example, if I wanted 10 bars, I could just go and make hundreds of "helpful" threads and put "ADD REP!" under each thread. And whoever stated the fame thing is completely correct.
Even if I had 10 bars or -10 bars, I still would like to be treated as Whirlz and ONLY Whirlz.

I'll still call you by xWhirlz. :). So, by me, you will be treated as xWhirlz, not just Whirlz. :D

Otukura
09-29-2011, 12:45 AM
I'll still call you by xWhirlz. :). So, by me, you will be treated as xWhirlz, not just Whirlz. :D

'Kay Parf.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:47 AM
'Kay Parf.

You see Otu, it doesn't affect me because I don't mind at all. :)

Otukura
09-29-2011, 12:49 AM
You see Otu, it doesn't affect me because I don't mind at all. :)
'Kay Parf. I SHALL WIN.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:50 AM
'Kay Parf. I SHALL WIN.

No you won't, Otukaru.

Otukura
09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
No you won't, Otukaru.
'Kay Parf.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:53 AM
'Kay Parf.

I win, Otakaru. If you post beyond this; you derail this thread!

Redbridge
09-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Hey Parth,

Nice post to remind everyone to stay genuine, for anyone who isn't.

Not sure if I've seen an issue but as stated in their original thread STS are on it, and are monitoring. They said they will take action both on forum AND on game accounts.

So if anyone is caught abusing the functionality they can expect a few problems on their forum and/or game accounts.

I like the functionality, and think it's particularly good for some of the newer forumers to have a level playing field with those who have been around a little longer. There is a handful of newer players coming through that should be recognised for what they are adding to the community. But, as you've said, those abusing it should be highlighted also.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Hey Parth,

Nice post to remind everyone to stay genuine, for anyone who isn't.

Not sure if I've seen an issue but as stated in their original thread STS are on it, and are monitoring. They said they will take action both on forum AND on game accounts.

So if anyone is caught abusing the functionality they can expect a few problems on their forum and/or game accounts.

I like the functionality, and think it's particularly good for some of the newer forumers to have a level playing field with those who have been around a little longer. There is a handful of newer players coming through that should be recognised for what they are adding to the community. But, as you've said, those abusing it should be highlighted also.

:) Thanks for the insightful post, Red. I haven't seen you on in a while. Everything is okay?

Otukura
09-29-2011, 12:59 AM
I win, Otu. If you post beyond this; you derail this thread!

Don't you dare lock me out Parth.

@Red, what would they do? Banning wouldn't help the problem, what's done is done. I just realized I posted on that thread, where everyone gets a 'thanks'. The OP has given like 50 'thanks', and I don't think they'll be able to get rid of that. We're so towards the beginning, just a few 'thanks' makes a huge diff.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 01:00 AM
Don't you dare lock me out Parth.

@Red, what would they do? Banning wouldn't help the problem, what's done is done. I just realized I posted on that thread, where everyone gets a 'thanks'. The OP has given like 50 'thanks', and I don't think they'll be able to get rid of that. We're so towards the beginning, just a few 'thanks' makes a huge diff.

You read my thoughts. Now, should I use that lock button? After all, the thread has been answered, courtesy of Samhayne. So I would be within my rights to use it. :D

WhoIsThis
09-29-2011, 01:00 AM

My advice ... get used to it.

I don't think anyone should be banned or anything like that over this, but I've seen other games where this has been misused. Just don't use the reputation system as a reliable indicator.

Zeus
09-29-2011, 01:02 AM
My advice ... get used to it.

I don't think anyone should be banned or anything like that over this, but I've seen other games where this has been misused. Just don't use the reputation system as a reliable indicator.

Yes, but relying on post counts is also a bit flawed. 1k posts isn't the amount of posts it used to be. If you don't mind, I am going to use you and a prime paradigm. You have many posts, not so many to considered huge, but still a lot. However, despite this, you are one of the most helpful people that I have seen on forums. If we are going by your theory, some people may not have the chance to acknowledge you as a pretty reliable and awesome source.

Redbridge
09-29-2011, 01:04 AM
:) Thanks for the insightful post, Red. I haven't seen you on in a while. Everything is okay?

All good here buddy. Just RL gets in the way of fun, eh? Family and a very very busy new job taking priority ATM, but keeping one eye on the forums and trying to nip in-game occasionally to help out a few lowbies now and again. Let my guildies and Alex know, but keeping it low key for a while until things calm down a little.

Redbridge
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
It's a difficult one to call, agreed...

I'm just glad it's not me, and STS get the privilege. lol

Spot the cop out...lol

EDIT: Double post, oops.... I think there'll always be people looking to take any advantage of any system. Way of the world unfortunately...

Parf, prob best to close when you're ready..lol

Zeus
09-29-2011, 01:11 AM
Okay, courtesy of Red. *Click*

Psst Otu, I WIN!

WhoIsThis
09-29-2011, 01:39 AM
Yes, but relying on post counts is also a bit flawed. 1k posts isn't the amount of posts it used to be. If you don't mind, I am going to use you and a prime paradigm. You have many posts, not so many to considered huge, but still a lot. However, despite this, you are one of the most helpful people that I have seen on forums. If we are going by your theory, some people may not have the chance to acknowledge you as a pretty reliable and awesome source.

The thing is I'm not. Yourself, Ellyidol, and Physiologic take the lead at least in my opinion. Let me put it this way - if there were only say 5 guardians allowed, you 3, Yanis, and Royce would get it if I were the decision maker.

Edit:
I suppose Yanis is yet another example of a very helpful, yet comparatively low post count.

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 05:39 AM
I don't really like to Thanks feature, tbh. The rep one was working perfectly.
For instance, this statement. Just Thanked two times, but was it helpful. That is the point of the button. So someone needs to get up and write a short guide on when and when not to use Thanks or Thumbs Up. I mean, if we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature, people are going to do it because there isn't any harm done.

Moogerfooger
09-29-2011, 06:10 AM
For instance, this statement. Just Thanked two times, but was it helpful. That is the point of the button. So someone needs to get up and write a short guide on when and when not to use Thanks or Thumbs Up. I mean, if we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature, people are going to do it because there isn't any harm done.

Non-flame/troll....since when do "we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature? ;) I never will, nor will many others because we believe the whole help and thanks thing is overrated/artificial/kinda funny. Asking for thanks, to me in my opinion and again not trolling, is like liking your own Facebook status or asking people to like your FB status...sure you mighta had a good quality status update, but still (to me, anyway) kind of funny. Agreed on that there is absolutely no harm done, and it may even encourage an overall rise in helpful-type posts, but then you get into the whole quantity-vs-quality issue. And a "guide to help and thanks"? There is no right and wrong answer to how one should use it, other than people abusing it..which Sam has stated there is a background system to prevent that in the first place.

CrimsonTider
09-29-2011, 06:45 AM
I'm with Moog on this guys. Does it really matter if wevare thanked/thumbs uped in a post? If I post something useful, those people usually thank me in pm or in game. A virtual thumb isn't gonna make me rethink how/when I post. Same goes for the reputation bar. Those who know me understand I aim to be as helpful and informative as anyone else. This is why I haven't reached 1,000 posts: I don't feel the need to add a comment if I feel the info has been given.

Thus, the whole "thank me" sig will never exist for me either.

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 06:53 AM
I don't think anything needs to be changed. The thanks system is there for a reason. If I appreciate a post, I thank the person who wrote it.

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Can I be honest for a moment and just say that the STS forum has always been seen as a popularity contest to me; having said that this system is used in plenty of forums but I'm not sure there is a place for it here. It's already been established that the gamer mentality usually has a competitive side to it, and there are many in game applications that this can be applied to such as the leader boards. So now there is just an out of game application where players are going to try to find a way to exploit the system that is in place. I can only imagine the measures that STS has put in place to prevent this but it's probably going to get out of hand in the end; it’s only a matter of time until there is a thanks boosting guild.

apocketlegend
09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Me neither

wvhills
09-29-2011, 07:10 AM
I am utterly confused. As I browse around forums, the "Thanks" indicator is going up exponentially, almost at an unnatural rate, on people's avatars. Some of them aren't even making that many posts.

I had a theory. Maybe people are asking their guilds to thank their posts? Please tell me I'm wrong, because if this is what it boils down to, I am utterly shocked and horrified why anybody would want to put such a visage on. Wouldn't this totally distort the meaning of a forum reputation system? I am not going to call anybody out in particular, but those of you that are guilty know who you are. IMO, it is utterly disgusting. It's like doing a good deed for the sake of a reward, not out of kindness? What is the point?

Opinions, Insight, Advice? Post here!

I don't boost guild people's rep but I do my fellow chatboxxers. I have 4 or 5 friends in chatbox that when I see them post I will go and "thank" it regardless of what it is they say. We haven't organized or planned it out it's just worked out that way.

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Ok, let me put it this way. There's a lot of new members here and in the game. People join everyday. A lot of them may not say much at first but are just looking around and reading information. That's the whole point of a forum is to share and receive information from different people. What makes a forum a good and helpful one? Good and helpful information. What are some ways we can ensure that this good and helpful information continues so that our new and old members can benefit from it?

Why not introduce a thanking system? Similar to the rep system, but its more visible to the members. I think this gives people an incentive to help others out and possibly receive positive rep for helping. I think it makes perfect sense.

Not to mention, it may even cut down on some people posting "Thank you" when really, all they have to do now is click that Thanks button. Saving thread space. :)

Doubletime
09-29-2011, 07:15 AM
I have to believe that most people that regularly read the forums learn pretty quickly which posters typically are helpful and provide useful information -- regardless of what the little green bar says.

Maybe I should change my sig to say "No thanks neccessary". :)

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Sorry for the double post but I'm reading so many negative comments about this. How do we know anybody was even thinking about asking people for thanks until someone (not naming any specific names) gave them the idea to do it? How do we know that making a thread about it isn't causing more of a problem than the actual system itself? Just saying.

I try to look at every scenario equally.

Darkfader
09-29-2011, 07:21 AM
But who in fact cares so much about reputation on forums. Least i won't care as long as it is showin positive value. And also i never would want to have high reputation BECAUSE of others, just for myself to feel somehow succesful. :]

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 07:28 AM
But who in fact cares so much about reputation on forums. Least i won't care as long as it is showin positive value. And also i never would want to have high reputation BECAUSE of others, just for myself to feel somehow succesful. :]

Probably the same players who xp locked a level 12 toon and boosted onto the leader boards, or the same players who create two accounts and use two devices to boost their kills in pvp... It's what makes them feel successful. Bottom line: It'll get abused in the end.

Darkfader
09-29-2011, 07:32 AM
Probably the same players who xp locked a level 12 toon and boosted onto the leader boards, or the same players who create two accounts and use two devices to boost their kills in pvp... It's what makes them feel successful. Bottom line: It'll get abused in the end.

Can anyone make them feel succesful by thanking themselves for good job? hmm..
And yeah, ofc it gets abused, it already does.

JaytB
09-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Honestly, I don't see what the whole fuss is. But that might be, because I see neither rep nor thanks in the tapatalk app. It's a happy place from where I sit :D

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 07:39 AM
Honestly, I don't see what the whole fuss is. But that might be, because I see neither rep nor thanks in the tapatalk app. It's a happy place from where I sit :D

Lol, I might have to try that. :)

CrimsonTider
09-29-2011, 07:39 AM
I don't boost guild people's rep but I do my fellow chatboxxers. I have 4 or 5 friends in chatbox that when I see them post I will go and "thank" it regardless of what it is they say. We haven't organized or planned it out it's just worked out that way.

This is an example of abuse/missuse. You thank "only" those who are chatbox regulars and "not" those associated with a guild? IMHO, this does not make sense. If one of your chatbox friends replies to a post with "lmao" or "what is a demonicset?", why thank it? Defeats the purpose. With this logic, I would thank everyone in this thread and that's not needed.

Here is one of your answers, Parth?

wvhills
09-29-2011, 07:47 AM
This is an example of abuse/missuse. You thank "only" those who are chatbox regulars and "not" those associated with a guild? IMHO, this does not make sense. If one of your chatbox friends replies to a post with "lmao" or "what is a demonicset?", why thank it? Defeats the purpose. With this logic, I would thank everyone in this thread and that's not needed.

Here is one of your answers, Parth?

Well, they have to have given somewhat useful info. I wouldn't thank them for "lmao" or "what is a demonic set". I'm just more likely to "thank" or "give them rep" to one of my friends rather than a someone I don't know.

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 07:49 AM
I'm just more likely to "thank" or "give them rep" to one of my friends rather than a someone I don't know.

Thank you, yet another proud supporter of my popularity contest idea.

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 08:15 AM
There y'all got a "thanks"

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 08:31 AM
While I appreciate the "thanks", i'm only responding to this because I think it's a little silly to be upset about something like this. It's really not that big of a deal. If you're helpful and you get no thanks, it's appreciated just the same as someone with 1000 green bars under their name. It's just silly to me. :)

But, thanks I guess...

RedRyder
09-29-2011, 08:49 AM
This feature has been on 95% of the forums I've been on. When I first got on here I was surprised it wasn't implemented. Hey as long as they don't pick out GoA's using the forum rep bar then I think it's cool lol. If I like a post or found it useful then I will give props to the poster :) it's not like there's a reward, so what'd be the point of boosting really?

In the end of the day, it'll become apparent who boosted and who didn't.

Moogerfooger
09-29-2011, 09:25 AM
Maybe I should change my sig to say "No thanks neccessary". :)

I like how you think (and Gluttony) think. Instead of forum popularityz pointz, howsabout I buy you a tasty adult beverage instead if I ever run into you guys in an airport bar? Now THAT'S real value, lol.

Ebalere
09-29-2011, 09:32 AM
But yeah, removing it for a few days and checking what happens can make you realize what a big change their is.

As I said before, I actually hadn't recieved many thanks after putting it in my sig, I think it turns more folks off than on to your thread. I doubt this works very well in getting you "thanks". The easiest way, imo, is to be a contributor and speak your mind, you never know when someone might agree with you. I'd just as well rather it not be there.

For example, I don't need 3 green bars to tell me Elly's post is going to be informative, it's a given. Apollo, you are a mentor with your bird guides, and for some reason you have one bar, yet I enjoy reading your posts, and find 90% of them to be helpful/funny/interesting, and you will always have a 10 bar rep in my eyes. It's just a VERY rough outline for someone new to the forums in my opinion. Veeerry rough.

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 09:35 AM
For example, I don't need 3 green bars to tell me Elly's post is going to be informative, it's a given. Apollo, you are a mentor with your bird guides, and for some reason you have one bar, yet I enjoy reading your posts, and find 90% of them to be helpful/funny/interesting, and you will always have a 10 bar rep in my eyes. It's just a VERY rough outline for someone new to the forums in my opinion. Veeerry rough.

Apollo actually has 3 bars now, it happened overnight. On a side note, I do like the illustration that Stomp is making by sharing the wealth.

RedRyder
09-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Apollo actually has 3 bars now, it happened overnight. On a side note, I do like the illustration that Stomp is making by sharing the wealth.

Lol literally; went from one to three o.O well deserved though!

CrimsonTider
09-29-2011, 09:54 AM
LMAO @ Stomp! Is this considered "positive" trolling?

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 09:55 AM

Possibly... :D

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Dunno about that but it's a lot of clicking!

RedRyder
09-29-2011, 10:10 AM
He's obviously excersising his tapping fingers for pl

NoobianOfAlterra
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks system made most people realize the meaning of rep and the green bar though :)

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Non-flame/troll....since when do "we all have something that says 'give us points for help' in our signature? ;) I never will, nor will many others because we believe the whole help and thanks thing is overrated/artificial/kinda funny. Asking for thanks, to me in my opinion and again not trolling, is like liking your own Facebook status or asking people to like your FB status...sure you mighta had a good quality status update, but still (to me, anyway) kind of funny. Agreed on that there is absolutely no harm done, and it may even encourage an overall rise in helpful-type posts, but then you get into the whole quantity-vs-quality issue. And a "guide to help and thanks"? There is no right and wrong answer to how one should use it, other than people abusing it..which Sam has stated there is a background system to prevent that in the first place.
That makes sense. I just get a bit touchy on the issue because of the work Elly and Yanis have done and such. Those are the threads in need of a revisit for a thousand thanks :P

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 10:34 AM
That makes sense. I just get a bit touchy on the issue because of the work Elly and Yanis have done and such. Those are the threads in need of a revisit for a thousand thanks :P

There are tons of dead threads that deserve thanks from users and devs alike. Suggestions/ideas that were implemented, bugs, general information that has lead to the formation of different builds, pvp strategies, the list goes on and on. This new system isn't retroactive and those threads are destined to be thankless; all we can do now is move forward and hope that the new changes are used for good rather than boosting one's rep.

CrimsonTider
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM

+1 on this. It's the meaningless "lol" threads getting thanked which confuses me.

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Well, reading the quote from MoogerFooger in Wounded's post, I think it's unfair to think that nobody should have it in their signature to thank them. People like to know that they're being helpful. It's not up to us to decide for people what makes them feel good or better about themselves. If they are here and genuinely trying to help people, what's wrong in checking your rep and feeling better about yourself because you helped people out?

Of course there's some people who probably want rep for bragging right, but it's perfectly normal to want to feel good about helping people. And how else do we know we're being helpful besides someone saying thanks to your post? The rep system is there for that purpose. I think some of you are looking too deep into this.

And if you know me by now, you know i'm gonna try to throw you that curve ball. I have to go against the grain. I have to speak my mind. I just don't see what's wrong with the system. Other than what Crimson just said above. :)

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 10:40 AM
I'm pretty sure whomever just got a bar boost was from Stomp's "Blessing".

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure whomever just got a bar boost was from Stomp's "Blessing".

Looks like you're destine for a blessing too:P

RedRyder
09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Stomp single-handedly boosted us all to 2 bars

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
Stomp stop itttttttt
I dont like being two bars for doing nothing>.<

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 10:56 AM
Stomp stop it
I dont like being two bars for doing nothing>.<

Right, that's why you're posting that here where the boosting is happening rather than a pm or other form of communication. Reverse psychology ftw! I'm on to you Whirlz...

NoobianOfAlterra
09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
New blessing: BOS, blessing of the stompartist. Permanently boosts your reputation. Requires 0 mana, but needs to post in a certain somewhere.

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 11:12 AM
My "thank you" button disappeared. I guess there is a limit. LOL

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna be upset if they removed the feature. Seriously. There was nothing wrong. My Thanks button is gone, too.

Darkfader
09-29-2011, 11:14 AM
My thanks button seems to be there fine, propably you guys got limited or something.

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 11:15 AM
I'm gonna be upset if they removed the feature. Seriously. There was nothing wrong. My Thanks button is gone, too.

:( I hope I didn't cause a thank you button failure.

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 11:17 AM
:( I hope I didn't cause a thank you button failure.

Stomp it's all your fault. :sulkiness:

Lol, jk :)

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 11:19 AM
omg stomp you little evil squirrel!
I understand his ulterior motive!
(I notice the "Remove Thanks" button beside the post.
And Stomp controls 50% of all thanks on forums... So whenever he feels like it, he can take down a person's rep bar easy!)

TANKKAAR
09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
seriously this entire thread is about abuse of the rep system when in actuality its happening right under your noses.... It took 3pages of meaningleass thx for just 1 person to step up and say stomp stop! Stomp please dont take offense to this but IMO what your doing is in exactly what the entire thread was intended to bring to light and hopefully prevent people from doing. IM NOT SAYING that apollo or others dont deserve to have 3,4 or even 10 green bars.... But the reputation system is going to be around for a long time so why rush the process? If your trying to prove a point? then I would say u have done so thouroughly. I personally am proud of my of my 3 bars because ik 95% of them I earned by being helpful and by being thanked for things of value.

Sam, can you please implement some sort of limitations to how many "thanks" can be issued by one person in a 24hr period? For example maybe 10? This wont stop the abused by any means but atleast a good start and would limit to it.

EDIT:

My "thank you" button disappeared. I guess there is a limit. LOL

Thank you, Sam!

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 11:24 AM
omg stomp you little evil squirrel!
I understand his ulterior motive!
(I notice the "Remove Thanks" button beside the post.
And Stomp controls 50% of all thanks on forums... So whenever he feels like it, he can take down a person's rep bar easy!)

It's all part of my master plan to force the community into harassing the devs to put Squirrels in game.

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 11:28 AM
seriously this entire thread is about abuse of the rep system when in actuality its happening right under your noses.... It took 3pages of meaningleass thx for just 1 person to step up and say stomp stop! Stomp please dont take offense to this but IMO what your doing is in exactly what the entire thread was intended to bring to light and hopefully prevent people from doing. IM NOT SAYING that apollo or others dont deserve to have 3,4 or even 10 green bars.... But the reputation system is going to be around for a long time so why rush the process? If your trying to prove a point? then I would say u have done so thouroughly. I personally am proud of my of my 3 bars because ik 95% of them I earned by being helpful and by being thanked for things of value.

Sam, can you please implement some sort of limitations to how many "thanks" can be issued by one person in a 24hr period? For example maybe 10? This wont stop the abused by any means but atleast a good start and would limit to it.

There is either a limit or I have been "thank you" banned so no worries.

My point is that "thank you" is a feature available to everyone and how people use the feature is up to them... putting a limit on it does not fix it in any way it just makes the numbers be lower...

Edit: I might be expressing myself wrong. The way I see it is that folks can thank people as much as they want. I think it's a great feature but honestly it is more of a "kuddos, I like what you said" or a "I like this guy" than a "thank you you are a genius" feature. Makes sense?

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 11:30 AM

EDIT:

Thank you, Sam!

Yep there's already a limit per 24 hours. :) But even when you reach the limit, the thanks button dosn't dissapear I think. I'm upset because I really utilize the feature. I hope my button returns. I have not abused it.

And I hope me participating in this thread has nothing to do with this.

Silentarrow
09-29-2011, 02:28 PM
Yep there's already a limit per 24 hours. :) But even when you reach the limit, the thanks button dosn't dissapear I think. I'm upset because I really utilize the feature. I hope my button returns. I have not abused it.

So you can only thank 1 person every 24 hours?

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 02:34 PM
So you can only thank 1 person every 24 hours?

No, not at all. The other day I guess I thanked too many posts and it told me to try back in 24 hours. I had thanked too much. It couldn't have been more than 10 thanks and I don't even think it was that many. But it did pop up and tell me to wait.

Moogerfooger
09-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Well, reading the quote from MoogerFooger in Wounded's post, I think it's unfair to think that nobody should have it in their signature to thank them. People like to know that they're being helpful. It's not up to us to decide for people what makes them feel good or better about themselves. If they are here and genuinely trying to help people, what's wrong in checking your rep and feeling better about yourself because you helped people out?

Of course there's some people who probably want rep for bragging right, but it's perfectly normal to want to feel good about helping people. And how else do we know we're being helpful besides someone saying thanks to your post? The rep system is there for that purpose. I think some of you are looking too deep into this.

And if you know me by now, you know i'm gonna try to throw you that curve ball. I have to go against the grain. I have to speak my mind. I just don't see what's wrong with the system. Other than what Crimson just said above. :)

If you're going to throw my name around in vain, at least get your facts straight. Nowhere did I, nor anyone that I see afterwards, ever say that no one should have it in their sig. I said "Some of us never will because we think it's silly/overrated/whatever' (that is just an opinion, and not stated as a fact) and that asking for thanks in a sig was - in my opinion - kind of funny, like asking people to like your Facebook status. I then followed that up with "Absolutely no harm is done however" or something to that effect and that it might also to some degree encourage positive posting.

You say "People like to know they are being helpful". Says who? Many of us post to be helpful, sure, or spread little tidbits of knowledge around to our friends we may have picked up...but many of us do it because we like to, not because "we need to know we're being helpful with Thanks/Thumbs Up". I guarantee you that the Guardian of Guardians, Royce, never did a single thing in order to 'get thanks" if he was still around...he did it because he liked spreading what he knew/had figured out around to the forum community, and in game.

If you and others want to feel better/spread the love as you see fit by FPP (forum popularityz pointz), it is a free forum and everyone can do whatever they want within the ToS and whatever limits they apparently have put on thanks/thumbs up/etc. Don't sit there and make things up and attach people's names to it, however. Even though I disagree with Wounded sometimes, I also have a fair amount respect for him as his posts have thought behind them, which is not always the case around here (myself included sometimes ;) and he knows this, like on the post of his I initially responded to....why you feel the need to manufacture something in order to argue against it and throw my name around is no bueno.

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 03:38 PM
If you're going to throw my name around in vain, at least get your facts straight. Nowhere did I, nor anyone that I see afterwards, ever say that no one should have it in their sig. I said "Some of us never will because we think it's silly/overrated/whatever' (that is just an opinion, and not stated as a fact) and that asking for thanks in a sig was - in my opinion - kind of funny, like asking people to like your Facebook status. I then followed that up with "Absolutely no harm is done however" or something to that effect and that it might also to some degree encourage positive posting.

You say "People like to know they are being helpful". Says who? Many of us post to be helpful, sure, or spread little tidbits of knowledge around to our friends we may have picked up...but many of us do it because we like to, not because "we need to know we're being helpful with Thanks/Thumbs Up". I guarantee you that the Guardian of Guardians, Royce, never did a single thing in order to 'get thanks" if he was still around...he did it because he liked spreading what he knew/had figured out around to the forum community, and in game.

If you and others want to feel better/spread the love as you see fit by FPP (forum popularityz pointz), it is a free forum and everyone can do whatever they want within the ToS and whatever limits they apparently have put on thanks/thumbs up/etc. Don't sit there and make things up and attach people's names to it, however. Even though I disagree with Wounded sometimes, I also have a fair amount respect for him as his posts have thought behind them, which is not always the case around here (myself included sometimes ;) and he knows this, like on the post of his I initially responded to....why you feel the need to manufacture something in order to argue against it and throw my name around is no bueno.

Whoa whoa whoa! I don't want any trouble! I don't throw names around, I just give my opinion. Lol. Calm down, bud. You take these things a bit too literally.

Get back to me when you're not so upset, Moogerfooger.

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 03:47 PM
No fighting in the thread I hijacked fair and square!

Cascade
09-29-2011, 03:51 PM
'Shocked' and 'Horrified' are some pretty strong words there. I think people are just over doing the 'Thanks' button. I really only use it if there post truly benefited me or others.

EDIT: I dont even care about my thanks or reputation count because i know everyone knows most of my posts are wholesome and good.

Moogerfooger
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Whoa whoa whoa! I don't want any trouble! I don't throw names around, I just give my opinion. Lol. Calm down, bud. You take these things a bit too literally.

Get back to me when you're not so upset, Moogerfooger.

1. I'm not your bud. Never heard of you before this thread ;)
2. Whether you want to admit it or not, you threw a name around attached to a statement which was completely false.
3. Have a nice forum day.

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Guys calm it down. This thread has completely de-railed so just sand the flame and let it be. IBTL

WhoIsThis
09-29-2011, 05:24 PM

It's another problem with this system; people can jump from no bars to 3-4 very rapidly: volatility.

I think the important thing to draw from this thread is that the reputation system should be ignored. It is easy to boost and not a very good indicator of expertise.

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 05:26 PM
It's another problem with this system; people can jump from no bars to 3-4 very rapidly: volatility.

I think the important thing to draw from this thread is that the reputation system should be ignored. It is easy to boost and not a very good indicator of expertise.
Amen!

TANKKAAR
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM

If Stomp was ablet to give 120 somthing "Thanks" in that amout of time before his button was removed then, NO there isn't a limit or atleast not one thatreally prohits abuse....

Matutd
09-29-2011, 05:32 PM
To be honest I think the reputation feature should be scrapped. Although it is a good idea it causes lots of commotion of people wanting lots of points. We all know who are good members of the community anyway, because we are the guys pressing the button. So why do we need a bar that tells us that?

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Maybe Sam saw the 'abuse', upped the filter to 20-25 per day and Navy did 20-25 today so had it removed for the day or something...

Whirlzap
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Very well said, Matutd.
+1 from Xwhirlz

Matutd
09-29-2011, 05:48 PM
Very well said, Matutd.
+1 from Xwhirlz
Thx :) kinda ironic that ur saying +1 about me complaining about rep system haha :)

Otukura
09-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Uhh... stomp? You're slacking!

Ayc2000
09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
stomp thanked most of these posts did he not? :P
imo, or just get rid of it, or not make it count towards reputation

csb
09-29-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm tempted to start a thread: "Free hate set - This is a raffle for a free hate set. Everyone that clicks thanks in the thread enters the raffle. After I get 1000 thanks, I will choose a winner randomly."

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 06:28 PM
If Stomp was ablet to give 120 somthing "Thanks" in that amout of time before his button was removed then, NO there isn't a limit or atleast not one thatreally prohits abuse....

Oh there is trust me. I got a confirmation that there's a limit per 24 hours and once you hit that limit, your thanks button will dissapear. :)

Lol @ MoogerFooger. You're a witty one, aren't you.

@ Wounded, I don't know, man. Whatever I did, I just hope it ain't permanent! I have many thanks to give! I love it here. You all taught me how to play! hehe :P

WoundedEagle
09-29-2011, 06:36 PM
Oh there is trust me. I got a confirmation that there's a limit per 24 hours and once you hit that limit, your thanks button will dissapear. :)

Lol @ MoogerFooger. You're a witty one, aren't you.

@ Wounded, I don't know, man. Whatever I did, I just hope it ain't permanent! I have many thanks to give! I love it here. You all taught me how to play! hehe :P
It isn't permanent I don't think...

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 06:42 PM
I agree but at this point i tell peoppe to thumbs me down cause i got one thumbs down somehow and now im an unknown identity on rep points so i tell people whoever wants to thumb down go ahead i actualy would wanna be the first to have a bunch of thumbs down just cause i like being diffrent lol i runno but thats my 25 cents

Otukura
09-29-2011, 06:46 PM
I agree but at this point i tell peoppe to thumbs me down cause i got one thumbs down somehow and now im an unknown identity on rep points so i tell people whoever wants to thumb down go ahead i actualy would wanna be the first to have a bunch of thumbs down just cause i like being diffrent lol i runno but thats my 25 cents

Wish granted. Your rep is now red. You have 2 more wishes.

Silentarrow
09-29-2011, 06:48 PM

0.o...

Cytokinesis
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
i actualy would wanna be the first to have a bunch of thumbs down just cause i like being diffrent lol i runno but thats my 25 cents
There were like 2 ppl before u

-.-

Navygreen
09-29-2011, 06:51 PM
It isn't permanent I don't think...

My button just came back lol! I'm gonna take it easy from now on though...

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 06:58 PM
oo sweet thanks :)

Otukura
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
I was planning to thumbs up another post, to bring it back to green, but it says I need to spread some Reputation around before giving it to you again.

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 07:09 PM
hey guys i want it all red :) cause thats my fav color

Cascade
09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
I have more rep/thanks than you! Jk. Whats the point of having a rep/thanks button? If they help then we will know, we dont need a rep/thanks bar to tell us that. But its all good.

Ayc2000
09-29-2011, 07:28 PM
lol @otu and razor :P

Otukura
09-29-2011, 07:30 PM
lol @otu and razor :P
I wasn't the only one! I set him down to "has had a few shameful actions in his past" or something, someone else bumped him down to "can only hope to improve!"

Cytokinesis
09-29-2011, 07:31 PM
I wasn't the only one! I set him down to "has had a few shameful actions in his past" or something, someone else bumped him down to "can only hope to improve!"
*shifty eyes...*

Zeus
09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Did somebody purposely thank my posts due to this thread? Overnight I seem to have amassed many points.

Otukura
09-29-2011, 07:32 PM
Did somebody purposely thank my posts due to this thread? Overnight I seem to have amassed many points.
*cough stomp cough*

Silentarrow
09-29-2011, 07:33 PM
It seems like Stomp thanked everyone who posted in this thread :).

Zeus
09-29-2011, 07:35 PM
*cough stomp cough*

That devious Stomp! I wonder what he is up to!?

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Lucky! My original plan was to get the lowest rep points possible because then it will say "is infamous in these parts" which is such a cool sounding title. lol Razer 1 - Stomp 0

Cytokinesis
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
Lucky! My original plan was to get the lowest rep points possible because then it will say "is infamous in these parts" which is such a cool sounding title. lol Razer 1 - Stomp 0
how do u know wat all the things r...?

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 07:46 PM
That devious Stomp! I wonder what he is up to!?

Apparently I am on "timeout" and have lost my thanks button. :D

StompArtist
09-29-2011, 07:52 PM

Samhayne posted it somewhere on a thread but I cannot seem to find it at the moment... sry

Otukura
09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
Apparently I am on "timeout" and have lost my thanks button. :Dlmao

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM

Lucky! My original plan was to get the lowest rep points possible because then it will say "is infamous in these parts" which is such a cool sounding title. lol Razer 1 - Stomp 0.
Lol thats one of the other reasons also :)

Ayc2000
09-29-2011, 08:08 PM
ill help you razor :)

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Okay thanks ill give you a thank you and thumbs up to all who helps me get to where i wanna be :) lol

Ayc2000
09-29-2011, 08:20 PM
lol, how many do you have now?

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 08:22 PM
I have -17 last i checked :) lol

TANKKAAR
09-29-2011, 08:53 PM

Here you go :)

I cut the top in half and smoothed out the progression curve a bit.

And

Okay thanks ill give you a thank you and thumbs up to all who helps me get to where i wanna be :) lol

I'm always willing to help someone reach their goals :-)

Silentarrow
09-29-2011, 09:02 PM
Lol I guess I'll help ya out razer... :D

Gluttony
09-29-2011, 09:05 PM
I have -17 last i checked :) lol

How?! I'd help out but all I see is thanks, thumbs up and the report button. No fair I can only give positive points.

Ellyidol
09-29-2011, 09:07 PM
How?! I'd help out but all I see is thanks, thumbs up and the report button. No fair I can only give positive points.

The Thumbs Up splits to approve/disapprove.

Wretch
09-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Thumbs button gives you choice

razerfingers
09-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Sweet guys thanks sadly i ran outta rep and tha.ks to give for the day ill find you guys in this thread tomorrow and thank ya :)

EDIT: sweet -25 lets keep it going i dont wanna make a thread about it im affraid the devs if they see it they will reset my rep if i make thread lolol

Gluttony
09-30-2011, 12:45 AM
The Thumbs Up splits to approve/disapprove.

Well that's silly, why not show both a thumbs up and a thumbs down? Only being able to see thumbs up would me think that I can only give positive rep points and thus cause me to avoid using it completely.

razerfingers
09-30-2011, 10:08 AM
haha i need more for a rank now its at just my name lol

StompArtist
09-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Got my button back for a few posts. more to come later.

Squirrel thank you fairy FTW!

razerfingers
09-30-2011, 03:22 PM
noooo noooo nooooo im down to -27 i liked being at -36 :(

TANKKAAR
09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Redbridge doesn't agree with your negative rep..lol

razerfingers
09-30-2011, 03:31 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhh lol i like it its floating my boat but now my boat is sinking :( lol

Kossi
09-30-2011, 04:07 PM
i personally think reputation, and thanks should be removed. permenantly. it leads to people going on alternate accs and thanking them on every post

Otukura
09-30-2011, 10:09 PM
LMAO. Sam put a whole new red level in, called "razerfingers"

Cytokinesis
09-30-2011, 10:13 PM
ROFL!!!

WhoIsThis
09-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Someone said that they felt that the "thanks" system would work out over time.

Consider the following:
At time of this typing 12:11 AM EST, 01/10/2011

Apollo has 37 thanks
Physiologic has 3 thanks

Does this mean that Apollo is more than 12 times as useful in his posts as Physiologic?

Rather dramatic example, but it does go to show the flaws of the system.

Gluttony
09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
Apollo has 37 thanks
Physiologic has 3 thanks

Considering that Phys has not posted for a few days and the sytem is pretty new, I would think that that example makes a fair amount of sense. It doesn't have to do with the usefulness of the person in the past since very few posters are going to award retroactive points. It's all about how useful they are in the now. Those older posts that keep helping users time and time again (guilds and spreadsheets) will eventually get their due thanks, until then it's a free for all on the thanks meter.

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 12:37 AM
This thanking thing has got me worried about the forums turning into a youtube: "Enjoy the guide and remember to thank this post and add to my reputation :-)"

razerfingers
10-01-2011, 12:39 AM
Haha ikr!! I saw that and felt happy lmao

Redbridge
10-01-2011, 03:04 AM
Redbridge doesn't agree with your negative rep..lol

Had a rethink and now removed my thanks.lol. I thought you wanted it back up again.... Just goes to show it's a little fixable. Sorry if I messed up your rep plan. d=('-')=b

Considering that Phys has not posted for a few days and the sytem is pretty new, I would think that that example makes a fair amount of sense. It doesn't have to do with the usefulness of the person in the past since very few posters are going to award retroactive points. It's all about how useful they are in the now. Those older posts that keep helping users time and time again (guilds and spreadsheets) will eventually get their due thanks, until then it's a free for all on the thanks meter.

I hope it does even out over time, but I'm not sure it will. I'm thinking the rare and occasional users (a large amount of unique users) probably don't know very much about the rep/thanks system and aren't likely to either. They will just dip into the forums for the info they need and back out again. Hopefully they'll notice the "thanks" button and use it when they think it appropriate.

Check out Aryilana's Quest Guide, with 35,360 views and she hasn't had one single thanks yet. Maybe not the best example but hopefully highlights the historic thread point. [she's got one now.lol]

So my thinking is, as with everything, rep/thanks shouldn't be taken in isolation. Its a useful tool that serves a purpose but number of views, posts, etc can also be considered.

Most of the people creating these guides/threads don't do it for any thanks anyway, do they? So it really is just a bit of fun to be taken with a pinch of salt.

WhoIsThis
10-01-2011, 04:10 AM
As Kossi mentioned, it's probably best if this system were scraped altogether.

It serves no real purpose and can be misleading. Arguing that simply because other forums have it (and many do), STS should too is a logical fallacy. I think that in general posts should be judged based on their content and to a lesser extent, their originators (although a good post from someone new should always be considered as "good" as an established member). It's hard to quantify this kind of thing effectively.

TANKKAAR
10-01-2011, 04:33 AM
I think everyone is stressing out over a few green bars screaming this will never work when they need to stop and look at the bigger picture. Yes right now the system may look a little lopsided but once in place for a longer period of time will round out. When it comes down to it anyone can earn a bar by making a few helpful posts or manipulating the system by having a friend thank them, and in a few months everyone should and most likely will have a few green bars. Its also right around that time I think, you will be able to see that the system does actually work because the ones who have consistently had constructive things to to say and helpful posts to make will have 4, 5, & 6 bars maybe even more.... Cause really? how many people do you think a person can get to lie for them? One maybe 2... Have u looked at the curve for reputation growth? It gets alot steeper and is going to take more then lies to get a person up into the 400-500 mark for rep. All im saying is people are always so against change even when it doesnt change anything. A helpful post will still be a helpful post even if it doesnt get 100 thanks so lets give the system a chance to actually work before we assume it never will.

Redbridge
10-01-2011, 05:00 AM
A helpful post will still be a helpful post even if it doesnt get 100 thanks so lets give the system a chance to actually work before we assume it never will.

I gotta agree. A Rep system is never gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but there are lots of elements to the overall STS community and not everyone is gonna is gonna like everything. I say give it a few months and review where we are then, pointless making a decision based on the very short life it's had so far. No need to make any snap decisions just yet and start binning something before it's even had a chance.

Just my view, but feel free to agree/disagree, it's interesting to see everyone's views and hear a few things I hadn't considered.

Aperfecte
10-01-2011, 06:41 AM
LMAO!! The first 96 post on this thread received a "Thanks" rating. How ironic!

razerfingers
10-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Had a rethink and now removed my thanks.lol. I thought you wanted it back up again.... Just goes to show it's a little fixable. Sorry if I messed up your rep plan. d=('-')=b

Duped
10-02-2011, 09:14 AM
I just wanna say, what does it matter?! I didn't know it existed and I'm of the opinion that if you use that as a gauge, well, you are in the small minority as it is anyhow. Also, I love how Stomp Thanked everyone (I only made it to reading 4 pages) on the thread about people boosting! I loved it!