PDA

View Full Version : For the new forumcomers!

Whirlzap
09-30-2011, 03:33 PM
So I've been seeing some new forum buddies around!
Some are nice; some are annoying. So here's a guide on how to "forum" decently and not get a bad reputation from failing the first day.
So here's some things I failed on my first day and some more things I will add from months of being part of the insane PL general community~

1. Do not necro posts.
2. Do not ask to necro posts.
3. Do not think about necroing posts.
4. Do not spam threads.
5. Do not post a thread for every single thing you think of.
6. Don't post multiple times in a row, ALWAYS edit when you can.
7. Do NOT beg.
8. Do NOT think of begging.
9. Do NOT make off-topic or threads in the wrong section of forum.
10. Don't make posts that don't make sense at all.
Example:

Thread topic is on how to kite.
Person starts topic by asking, "How does a mage kite with an XBOW?"
Random poster comes and says, "Kites are rhombus-shaped objects usually made of cloth and are used by people for general entertainment. They are shoved through the sky with the powerful force of a wind. Once, Benjamin Franklin went and flew a kite in a lightning storm. Suddenly, he realized that...."

11. Try using attachments, simply using IMG codes take forever to load.
12. Do NOT ask to be GoA or spam the thread saying "how you helped this way and that way."
13. Do not advertise. If you want to make a character on forums and spam some advertisements, go look up the definition of "no lifer."
14. Sorry, we don't allow big ugly humanoid things with gignatic hands and hold a club.
No trolls please.
15. Don't make horrible guides like this one.

-Xwhirlz

TANKKAAR
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
WIN!

ALL new comers please read :)

Ebalere
09-30-2011, 03:36 PM
You should add on your list "Don't make threads that have been done before, and use the search button before asking a question".

Nourish
09-30-2011, 03:39 PM
There is already a "how to survive the forums" thread. Ironic fail.

He's just trying to help, more like a win.

nmyxspaceship
09-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Awesome whirlz:D

thumbs up

TANKKAAR
09-30-2011, 03:41 PM
There is already a "how to survive the forums" thread. Ironic fail.

You can never have enough of these threads IMO...lol... They may miss one but catch the other and in the end they save face and and don't end up starting tons of drama in the process of learning right from wrong on the forums :)

Ebalere
09-30-2011, 03:44 PM
You can never have enough of these threads IMO...lol... They may miss one but catch the other and in the end they save face and and don't end up starting tons of drama in the process of learning right from wrong on the forums :)

True enough, I just found it funny he's telling people how to work the forums, and breaking a "forum rule" in the process. Therefore, ironic. And I edited my post to sound less offending anyway. Thinking about it now tho, I believe that post by CanonicalKoi is in star legends section, so I'm in the wrong here. As people aren't required in any way to view both sections, especially if they don't play both games.

starsavior
09-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Lol

McBain
09-30-2011, 05:15 PM
True enough, I just found it funny he's telling people how to work the forums, and breaking a "forum rule" in the process. Therefore, ironic. And I edited my post to sound less offending anyway. Thinking about it now tho, I believe that post by CanonicalKoi is in star legends section, so I'm in the wrong here. As people aren't required in any way to view both sections, especially if they don't play both games.

Good point, but on the other hand, if you do a search both forums come up in the results.

WoundedEagle
09-30-2011, 05:24 PM
Common sense. This is Spacetime Studios - Forums Discussion.... And they don't know what necro has to do in it's context..

Suentous PO
09-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Sweet. It would be nice to explain why necros bad to newbies, rather than just say don't. Which, the first time I was told don't necro my response was - what/why (fail). In my other game forum posting on an old thread did not push it back to the top. It just stayed on the old thread. Took me a min. To figure out it's not the same on all forums, & by that time who knows how many I ticked off. Heh
PO

Galoopy
10-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Awesome! I just joined the forum about 5 minutes ago, so this helps me some. Thanks Whirlz!

MimeRifle
10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
How does one determine when an unlocked thread is "dead"?

Moogerfooger
10-01-2011, 01:32 PM
How does one determine when an unlocked thread is "dead"?

There's not really a "rule" but usually if no one has posted something on a thread for 2-3 months (just my guess), it is usually safe to say it is dead. There are exceptions, of course, but I think that is generally a good start. I can't remember something older than that ever getting 'necroposted' for a really good reason, unless it was some bug that never got fixed.

Charmstrange
10-01-2011, 02:02 PM
Lol @ #15

But seriously, I really like the idea of this type of guide; it would have helped to have some guidelines when I first started using the forums. Instead, I just read a lot and posted very little. Eventually I developed my own understanding and opinions on forum etiquette. Here is some feedback for your guide, if you're serious about turning it into useful assistance for new people:

Tone: Friendly and welcoming would be nice. This post gives a message more like, "This is our turf and we know you're a brainless noob, so don't screw it up."
Definitions: Necroposting is when you.....
Reasoning: Necroposting negatively affects forum experience because...
Be careful with absolutist statements: Some of these are actually forum rules and will get a member banned, others are simply a matter of opinion. Take #10 for example - I frequently see posts that don't make sense on these forums, but often they are humorous or playful and actually add to my forum experience.
Encourage participation: 13.5 out of 15 items in the guide start with "do not", only #11 suggests an alternative (#14 is the 0.5). Also I see that most threads fitting the description in #5 are posted by forum regulars and "old-timers"; I don't think this is a bad thing, I like all of the discussion that follows. I would rather have people contribute than to have to always second-guess whether an idea is good enough to post.

Some people will just post a river of junk; I know that is who you intended this for. Others, though, need encouragement just to get their good ideas out there.

Thanks for getting this discussion started

5. Do not post a thread for every single thing you think of.

10. Don't make posts that don't make sense at all.

11. Try using attachments, simply using IMG codes take forever to load.

14. Sorry, we don't allow big ugly humanoid things with gignatic hands and hold a club.
No trolls please.

15. Don't make horrible guides like this one.

-Xwhirlz

Hankomachos
10-01-2011, 02:20 PM
What's necro posting? :confused:

Suentous PO
10-01-2011, 02:26 PM
"Whats necro posting?"
its when you behead a zombie then spike his head onna fencepost to celebrate festivus.

Hankomachos
10-02-2011, 01:54 AM
"Whats necro posting?"
its when you behead a zombie then spike his head onna fencepost to celebrate festivus.
Oh so its like witchcraft? Totem polls and skulls on the poll? Ahh I get it. ;)
I thought it had to do with pumpkings. :rolleyes:

Redbridge
10-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Nice and helpful for those new to the forums....

Let's not forget many of us have been here for ages and know what is expected or not.

It's often hard to get in othe swing of things so great post. Sweet.

For more info on STS's forum rules (including necro posting) see here http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1768-Message-Forum-Rules

EDIT: Nice seeing ya in PL last night Hank, great timing...lol

Uepauke
10-02-2011, 07:08 AM
sGreat guide, Whirlz, think it'll be helpful.

I agree with chiie's points of improvement, try to change the tone to a more friendly, encouraging one and turn the 'do nots' into 'dos.' The positive aspect of the forums is how people want to help here, the more negative aspect is when responses come across as territory-protecting and discouraging. I agree the newcomers you are addressing are likely not to know what necroing is in the first place.

I suggest adding 'try to say something positive and acknowledge contributions, no matter how small' and 'lighten up' :D

Hankomachos
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Nice and helpful for those new to the forums....

Let's not forget many of us have been here for ages and know what is expected or not.

It's often hard to get in othe swing of things so great post. Sweet.

For more info on STS's forum rules (including necro posting) see here http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?1768-Message-Forum-Rules

EDIT: Nice seeing ya in PL last night Hank, great timing...lol

SL, and yes it was nice seeing you, and the Droid Guy too, Hehe. ;) Perfect timing in fact!

NECROREAPER
10-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Vulgar was on last night!?

Whirlzap
10-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Droid Guy as in the event for Star Legends for this weekend.
Kind of like the XPERIA event, simply collect a tong, fork, and an apron and go to the Droid BBQ NPC in Blackstar towne.
Then you can get a vanity chef hat!