PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Refresh Protection [Buff Timer] On Each Cast

Ephemeris
09-30-2011, 11:13 PM
While not a huge deal by any stretch of the imagination, I think that it would be nice if the buff timer associated with casting Protection would refresh/restart with each cast. In the event that someone new joins the party, one or two people manage to be out of the cast range when triggered, or someone dies (to name a few examples), a situation where several people are on different buff timers can -- and, often, will -- exist. If the group's Protection buff timers were to all reset upon cast -- assuming that folks are in range of the cast, of course -- this could/would save quite a few one-off mana burn situations (IMO).

Ellyidol
09-30-2011, 11:16 PM
I always thought group buffs did reset and overlapped each other. If this isn't the case, then I very much agree, only makes sense that the most recent group buff casted overlaps existing ones.

Otukura
09-30-2011, 11:18 PM
I always thought group buffs did reset and overlapped each other. If this isn't the case, then I very much agree, only makes sense that the most recent group buff casted overlaps existing ones.

I think he's saying that if he buffs the group, then another person joins, the cooldown should be set to zero to buff that last person.

Ellyidol
09-30-2011, 11:21 PM
I think he's saying that if he buffs the group, then another person joins, the cooldown should be set to zero to buff that last person.

Really? Hmm, I probably need a better understanding for the Protection buff to comment on it. If Protection can be buffed with no down-time though, then I would agree, but if it was meant to be used strategically, I'd have to disagree.

Otukura
09-30-2011, 11:24 PM
Really? Hmm, I probably need a better understanding for the Protection buff to comment on it. If Protection can be buffed with no down-time though, then I would agree, but if it was meant to be used strategically, I'd have to disagree.

Although I haven't played SL in a long time, I'm like 99% sure it can. 10 second cool down and 120 second buff, iirc.

Ephemeris
09-30-2011, 11:25 PM

I don't believe that this is the case, Elly (though maybe I'm crazy -- it's possible :)). I've observed several instances where I have cast Protection on another player -- with it being previously cast on myself -- and my buff will expire well before theirs (i.e., my pre-existing buff timer did not reset when I re-casted). If others are not observing the same behavior, perhaps this is an intermittent bug?

Ellyidol
09-30-2011, 11:28 PM
I don't believe that this is the case, Elly (though maybe I'm crazy -- it's possible :)). I've observed several instances where I have cast Protection on another player -- with it being previously cast on myself -- and my buff will expire well before theirs (i.e., my pre-existing buff timer did not reset when I re-casted). If others are not observing the same behavior, perhaps this is an intermittent bug?

I see. No, I'm probably mistaken. It's just come from experience that an identical buff that's rebuffed would reset and restart the buff timer. Guess it's just harder to notice here because of the lack of actual visible buff duration :)

+1, agree :D

Ephemeris
09-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I see. No, I'm probably mistaken. It's just come from experience that an identical buff that's rebuffed would reset and restart the buff timer. Guess it's just harder to notice here because of the lack of actual visible buff duration :)

+1, agree :D

Haha, no problem -- I am curious to hear if others are seeing this as well, though. One other possibility here: If there are multiple engineers in a given party, perhaps their individual casts reset timers for the group (though I would bet that their own buff timers -- should they already have the buff -- would not reset until "naturally" expired or another engineer casts). I'll see if I can't test this one out later -- now I'm curious. :)

bronislav84
10-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Old and good suggestion. Let's break down the ideal way shall we?

Protection: Same or higher rank should overwrite and retime. Lower ranks than the current ranks should just retime so they're not worthless.

Empathy: Should stack, because who doesn't like more heals?

Good luck.

Ephemeris
10-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Old and good suggestion. Let's break down the ideal way shall we?

Protection: Same or higher rank should overwrite and retime. Lower ranks than the current ranks should just retime so they're not worthless.

Empathy: Should stack, because who doesn't like more heals?

Good luck.

Completely agree. :) BTW, sorry for the apparent re-broadcast (it sounds like?) on this one. I did a search before posting, but there are a lot of posts with "Protection" in the name, evidently. :D