PDA

View Full Version : Constantly HIGH PING?

Assult
09-30-2011, 11:24 PM
I've been playing for awhile, currently I am lv24 Eng but one thing keep pull me down is having constantly high PING, it would just freeze anything except for my character and Ping goes 20k, sometimes it goes 70k or 100k and then boot me out...I dont understand because, My iOS is at full bar with WiFi on... Please help me or fix this BUG? thanks :tyrannosaurus:

Skeletonlord
09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe you need to restart your router? A restart is sometimes all you need to stop ping. I haven't had to do this but you could try this.

Ephemeris
09-30-2011, 11:53 PM
I think that Skeletonlord's suggestion is a sound starting point. In the event that restarting your router doesn't take care of the issue, though, I have a question: Do you have other devices utilizing your WiFi network in the immediate vicinity of your device? If so, you may have a frequency hopping issue. If I have my phone, my tablet, and a laptop on my WiFi network -- but in different parts of my house -- no problem; on the other hand, if I put them all within, say, five feet of each other, I see latency spikes like you're describing. If applicable, try moving away from any other devices utilizing your WiFi network and see if that takes care of your issue.

Edit: I forgot... One more possibility comes to mind. You may want to check and see what channel your neighbors' WiFi networks are using (relative to your own). If you have a nearby neighbor on the same channel, your SINR may be taking a hit (which would degrade your signal quality).

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 12:04 AM
In which country do you live? Most people in Australia don't have strong enough wifi to play.

Barrington
10-01-2011, 12:09 AM
In which country do you live? Most people in Australia don't have strong enough wifi to play.
im australian and i have good internet, the problem is that the servers are in texas and were playing from across the other side of the world

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Your right, sorry I didn't think that through. I also have good internet, but I've found that I can only play properly on my iPad. Both games are very playable on my touch 4g, but I get ping spikes every so often.

Barrington
10-01-2011, 12:15 AM
Your right, sorry I didn't think that through. I also have good internet, but I've found that I can only play properly on my iPad. Both games are very playable on my touch 4g, but I get ping spikes every so often.

off topic but whos gonna win the grand final today?

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Good question....I can't decide :P (Lions Fan here) I somewhat gave up on footy this season haha

Ellyidol
10-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Lol, gonna derail one more time then bring back, World Cup finals, reason why I'm avoiding the city tonight. Crowded, fights, rowdy :p

On-topic, is it a shared wifi? I share my wifi with siblings, and I can tell very easily when one of them opens facebook/youtube/streaming movies through my ping.

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Same thing with me Elly :S

Barrington
10-01-2011, 02:26 AM
well geelong cats one it and collingwood are crying its quite funny actually

Necrobane
10-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Hahaha, they have no excuses this time.

Fatpigwarrior
10-01-2011, 05:48 AM
well geelong cats one it and collingwood are crying its quite funny actually

Cats eat birds^^ it was a good game tho! Go cats!

On topic: Is your wifi connect with home phone, that makes my ping high

Darkfader
10-01-2011, 09:25 AM
I have also noticed weird ping issue in SL.

I live in Finland, have in PL stable ping 370-400 however in SL it's stable 470-500. These are pings I hav at home wifi, connection is good and nobody else using.

Ephemeris
10-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Good counters on my suggestions -- I didn't take into consideration players living in other countries. :)

Along those lines, though, I would expect a slew of similar complaints from US-based players if it were an STS server issue (i.e., all players would see similar degradation). The way that I interpreted the post, the latency issues being described were/are intermittent. If the WiFi, itself, can be ruled out, then it sounds like it's probably an issue with one or more of the hops back to STS' servers -- that's my best guess, at least. :)

Moogerfooger
10-01-2011, 01:46 PM
One thing you can try, that sometimes worked for me before I upgraded my router and have better ping, is to disable your 3G on your device, if your device has an active 3G. For some reason it seemed to make my ping higher when I had both 3G and Wifi running, playing on wifi.

Also turn off as many push notifications from other apps as possible. I also noticed that not only would I lag badly when a push notification would come in, my phone would still be laggy for a few minutes afterward.

Reddwing
10-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Along with turning off push notiications, turning off location services and high quality (not big difference from low) helps my ping. (playing on wifi here)

Assult
10-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Sorry I haven't been on the forum since I was busy with High School football, since I'm on the team we won yesterday! :) However, I just read all of the suggestion comments above.. I think I will try do those different methods and see what it can get me the least ping spikes! Since it did do the spikes again today..ughh *gunshot* Again, Thanks to everyone! :)

Growwle
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
I think STS might have some bandwidth issues on the server side, because many people were complaining about lag spikes today in chat.

Necrobane
10-03-2011, 08:26 PM
@ Fatpigwarrior, I have the same problem, amplified however by a 21 year old sister. Real bummer :P

jelly
05-06-2014, 03:39 AM
I've been playing for awhile, currently I am lv24 Eng but one thing keep pull me down is having constantly high PING, it would just freeze anything except for my character and Ping goes 20k, sometimes it goes 70k or 100k and then boot me out...I dont understand because, My iOS is at full bar with WiFi on... Please help me or fix this BUG? thanks :tyrannosaurus:

Reasons for getting high ping value.
1.High ping is when there is high traffic in your system.
2.This can be either caused by loading such large files that the system cannot handle them, or by running several programs at the same time.
3.High ping is not just due to the bad internet connection. video lag, sound lag, virus, spyware, worms, or so on, could cause the high ping. not enough Ram could cause the problem too.
If you get any high ping ,try to lower your ping rate by using some of the following instructions.
1.Don't open any videos,stream and check if there any problem in your router.
2.Make sure there's no browser .exe's still running in task manager
3.Try to contact your internet service provider and get suitable data plan.
4.Use any software like Game Booster
5.Move closer to server
I am sure,if you follow the rules,you will get chance to reduce your ping rate.Finally you can check your new ping using WhoisXY.com (http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx)

CARNIVALCLOWN
05-19-2014, 03:17 PM
i know what you mean, that laggness monster is always lurking around just waiting to strike and give you the "screen" lime blue with those words "disconnected from server'. *shivers, makes my hair stand on end.